Sign In

Most Disappointing / Satisfying Aspect of the Sequel Trilogy? — Page 15

Author
Time

It could be kinda interesting for Rey to visit Tatooine on a personal level. It’s her realizing that she had similar humble beginnings on a desolate planet as Luke did. Both planets of Tatooine and Jakku are intertwined with pain and suffering, but it doesn’t change how their environment had a huge impact in shaping their identity. She took on the Skywalker name on a superficial level since she didn’t have a lastname for most of her life. On a deeper level, embracing how she and Luke had similar paths, it’s her believing that she’s been a Skywalker this whole time, not in blood, but in character. Rejecting Palpatine is the smart choice since we have no idea, for one, how he came about and most likely different from how Rey grew up. I’ve read where many fans think she should had embraced Palpatine as a last name. I say no because just imagine Luke throwing away Skywalker in favor of Vader. Luke Vader. Doesn’t work, does it? Vader and Palpatine carries too much negativity and baggage. It’s like the real life equivalent of taking on the lastname Hitler, rationalizing it by saying you will do good deeds and flip people’s view towards that name. Good luck with that.
No, Skywalker has more positive symbolism and more influence on Rey than her bloodline.

None of this analysis is meant to prop this ST up as some masterful writing, but just to illustrate that with the proper writing, this would had been communicated to the audience much smoothly.

The Rise of Failures

Author
Time

But thematically the end should have been Rey at some sort of symbolic of grave for her parents, illustrating that she has moved on. She might even have given the sabers to Maz to suggest that those guided by the Force could one day follow this path or something. Instead it’s just a nostalgia scene for us, not her and not for Luke. She probably buried the sabers on top of Owen and Beru’s bones, insulting their remains. If they haven’t been picked clean by Jawas years ago along with the rest of the farm.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

Mocata said:

It’s the same thing as Luke testing his.

Except it’s not the same and that’s what my initial point was in replying to Yotsuya. Rey testing her saber was already discarded as a possible in story reason for igniting her saber since it’s clear it was completed well before this scene and would have been tested back when it was actually completed rather than carrying around an untested saber with no tools on hand to continue working on it if it doesn’t work the first time you go to use it. It is literally just the movie doing a soft 4th wall in saying “look audience, Rey has built a new lightsaber”. If they did have her adding the final few components that she scrounged from Obiwan’s hut and then testing it, then there was a reason in the story itself. As it is, her actions are inexplicable as presented and therefore the only reason left is the obvious meta nature of the reveal.

Mocata said:

However it makes no sense that this is Tatooine, a place important to the audience and not to a single character involved.

Yes, another issue with the scene among others I’m sure if you continue to think about it as JJ hopes you don’t 😉

Author
Time

Valheru_84 said:

Mocata said:

It’s the same thing as Luke testing his.

Except it’s not the same and that’s what my initial point was in replying to Yotsuya. Rey testing her saber was already discarded as a possible in story reason for igniting her saber since it’s clear it was completed well before this scene and would have been tested back when it was actually completed rather than carrying around an untested saber with no tools on hand to continue working on it if it doesn’t work the first time you go to use it. It is literally just the movie doing a soft 4th wall in saying “look audience, Rey has built a new lightsaber”. If they did have her adding the final few components that she scrounged from Obiwan’s hut and then testing it, then there was a reason in the story itself. As it is, her actions are inexplicable as presented and therefore the only reason left is the obvious meta nature of the reveal.

Mocata said:

However it makes no sense that this is Tatooine, a place important to the audience and not to a single character involved.

Yes, another issue with the scene among others I’m sure if you continue to think about it as JJ hopes you don’t 😉

You have now seen the TROS film?

Author
Time

Valheru_84 said:

Except it’s not the same and that’s what my initial point was in replying to Yotsuya. Rey testing her saber was already discarded as a possible in story reason for igniting her saber since it’s clear it was completed well before this scene and would have been tested back when it was actually completed rather than carrying around an untested saber with no tools on hand to continue working on it if it doesn’t work the first time you go to use it.

Well I don’t think we know that. But now it doesn’t matter.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

Force-Abel said:

Valheru_84 said:

Mocata said:

It’s the same thing as Luke testing his.

Except it’s not the same and that’s what my initial point was in replying to Yotsuya. Rey testing her saber was already discarded as a possible in story reason for igniting her saber since it’s clear it was completed well before this scene and would have been tested back when it was actually completed rather than carrying around an untested saber with no tools on hand to continue working on it if it doesn’t work the first time you go to use it. It is literally just the movie doing a soft 4th wall in saying “look audience, Rey has built a new lightsaber”. If they did have her adding the final few components that she scrounged from Obiwan’s hut and then testing it, then there was a reason in the story itself. As it is, her actions are inexplicable as presented and therefore the only reason left is the obvious meta nature of the reveal.

Mocata said:

However it makes no sense that this is Tatooine, a place important to the audience and not to a single character involved.

Yes, another issue with the scene among others I’m sure if you continue to think about it as JJ hopes you don’t 😉

You have now seen the TROS film?

I have seen footage of the scene on YouTube and read the leaked plot months ago. I might watch the full movie at some stage just to see it in it’s completed form but I’m not paying to see on the big screen what I already know I won’t enjoy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Mocata said:

Valheru_84 said:

Except it’s not the same and that’s what my initial point was in replying to Yotsuya. Rey testing her saber was already discarded as a possible in story reason for igniting her saber since it’s clear it was completed well before this scene and would have been tested back when it was actually completed rather than carrying around an untested saber with no tools on hand to continue working on it if it doesn’t work the first time you go to use it.

Well I don’t think we know that. But now it doesn’t matter.

True we don’t know that but it’s a pretty logical conclusion seeing that the movie doesnt tell you any different or give you any reason to reach a different conclusion. At the end of TROS Rey ignites what can only be assumed to be a previously constructed and tested new lightsaber for no discernible reason except to show the audience she finally made her own saber, something she should have done during TLJ or at the start of TROS but then that would be getting dangerously close to just directly mimicking an OT movie again.

Yes it doesn’t really matter, except when someone points out that it doesn’t make sense and someone tries to excuse it because Luke did the same thing in a deleted scene, except the context is different.

Also simply saying “they done it first” is not really a great reason anyway to justify a scene that still makes no sense regardless of any actual previous examples. I literally said to one of my kids the other day that just because their sibling does something doesn’t mean you have to. If they stuck their hand in a fire would you? No, I didn’t think so LOL…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

BedeHistory731 said:

BB-Rey said:

No respect or regard for the Prequels.
Diminishing Anakin’s legacy as the Chosen One.

I don’t mind either of those.

Each to their own opinion. I just feel even if you don’t like something you should at least respect the established lore and canon rules of what’s been established. There’s ways that you can go about it that both respects it and pushes you to new and exciting areas. Pandering gets you nowhere unless it makes sense for the story to go in those places like say Darth Plagueis may have done.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Valheru_84 said:

Force-Abel said:

Valheru_84 said:

Mocata said:

It’s the same thing as Luke testing his.

Except it’s not the same and that’s what my initial point was in replying to Yotsuya. Rey testing her saber was already discarded as a possible in story reason for igniting her saber since it’s clear it was completed well before this scene and would have been tested back when it was actually completed rather than carrying around an untested saber with no tools on hand to continue working on it if it doesn’t work the first time you go to use it. It is literally just the movie doing a soft 4th wall in saying “look audience, Rey has built a new lightsaber”. If they did have her adding the final few components that she scrounged from Obiwan’s hut and then testing it, then there was a reason in the story itself. As it is, her actions are inexplicable as presented and therefore the only reason left is the obvious meta nature of the reveal.

Mocata said:

However it makes no sense that this is Tatooine, a place important to the audience and not to a single character involved.

Yes, another issue with the scene among others I’m sure if you continue to think about it as JJ hopes you don’t 😉

You have now seen the TROS film?

I have seen footage of the scene on YouTube and read the leaked plot months ago. I might watch the full movie at some stage just to see it in it’s completed form but I’m not paying to see on the big screen what I already know I won’t enjoy.

Ah, you have viewed the scene is isolation - yet not in the context it is shown within the film.

If you went and saw the film on the big screen just think of all the more the negative posts you could make about it, a film you state that know you won’t enjoy, but post about so much.

 

 

For myself, one of the most satisfying things about the Sequel Trilogy was actually the watching of it, enjoying the parts I did, thinking about the interpretations of scenes from the films - and not having everything spelt out for me. There are some parts I did not enjoy; the sudden introduction of Palaptine could have been handled better, and the lack of screen time for Rose in TROS, yet there are parts I didn’t like of many films I have seen and enjoyed, so it is not too much a big thing in Star Wars for me.

The light-speed skipping scenes looked superb; though I need to watch the film again as it did not seem ‘right’ for Star Wars somehow, the ability to travel like that. Maybe in the Fan Edits someone will add a line of exposition to explain? I hope so.

 

(I do also hope we see more of Rose in the deleted scenes for TROS given the issues with matching or gelling KMT’s performance against previous deleted scenese footage of Leia from TFA.)

An article on TROS co writer and his stamtent that KMT’s screen time was redeuced due to the above issues:

"Star Wars Screenwriter Claims Kelly Marie Tran’s Scenes Were Cut Because of Bad CGI":

https://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-tran-bad-cgi
 

and also from gq, an interview with Star Wars co writer Chris Terrio…

’Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’s Writer Knew Not Everyone Would Like It’:

https://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalkers-writer-knew-not-everyone-would-like-it
 

"‘Star Wars’ Writer Chris Terrio on Rey’s Parentage, the Big Villain, and That Final Scene":

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-chris-terrio-spoilers-1202198680/

Author
Time

Force-Abel said:

Valheru_84 said:

Force-Abel said:

Valheru_84 said:

Mocata said:

It’s the same thing as Luke testing his.

Except it’s not the same and that’s what my initial point was in replying to Yotsuya. Rey testing her saber was already discarded as a possible in story reason for igniting her saber since it’s clear it was completed well before this scene and would have been tested back when it was actually completed rather than carrying around an untested saber with no tools on hand to continue working on it if it doesn’t work the first time you go to use it. It is literally just the movie doing a soft 4th wall in saying “look audience, Rey has built a new lightsaber”. If they did have her adding the final few components that she scrounged from Obiwan’s hut and then testing it, then there was a reason in the story itself. As it is, her actions are inexplicable as presented and therefore the only reason left is the obvious meta nature of the reveal.

Mocata said:

However it makes no sense that this is Tatooine, a place important to the audience and not to a single character involved.

Yes, another issue with the scene among others I’m sure if you continue to think about it as JJ hopes you don’t 😉

You have now seen the TROS film?

I have seen footage of the scene on YouTube and read the leaked plot months ago. I might watch the full movie at some stage just to see it in it’s completed form but I’m not paying to see on the big screen what I already know I won’t enjoy.

Ah, you have viewed the scene is isolation - yet not in the context it is shown within the film.

If you went and saw the film on the big screen just think of all the more the negative posts you could make about it, a film you state that know you won’t enjoy, but post about so much.

Please educate me on the additional context the full movie provides that makes this scene make sense, despite what I assume another person who has seen the film saying it makes no sense? Or is this just a reason to make another jab at me?

Force-Abel said:
and not having everything spelt out for me.

Yeah this has nothing to do with what I’ve been talking about.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

mykyta-R4, Valheru_84, and Force-Abel - you all have a PM, and some of your posts have been removed.

Meanwhile, stop derailing the threads with your off-topic comments and posts - and going over old ground which is best left in the past.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Most satisfying for me, or one of the most satisfying, was Leia using whatever force capabilities she had left to try and help redeem her son one last time - it succeeding - and also playing a major role in the eventual defeat of Palpatine and his forces.

No fate but what we make - apart from force dyads!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

Can we get a much lower budget episodes 10 to 12 set 100 years in the future directed by Rian Johnson, with story ideas about the Force being front and center? The goal would be to explore the meat of the concepts we’ve been shown and about building the Jedi back up without there being a ‘holy crap bad guy uberthreat.’ Small scale, spiritual stakes on a personal level. Could be made soonish, with the ST characters all having died by that point, but could be referenced or perhaps shown in flashbacks. Luke and other Jedi could always pop in as ghosts, but this would have to be done soonish for much of that.

This is what VII-IX should have been minus being set 100 years in the future. Instead of having the bad guys be a threat to the galaxy, have them be a treat to the characters

Actually, coming to think of it, if you remove the whole Rebels vs Empire aspect of the sequel trilogy, it makes for a much better story… Of course there’s no way you could edit Stormtroopers out of the movies, but from a scriptwriting standpoint it would be so easy to have it just be Snoke and his guys vs. the protagonists who are part of some renamed Resistance (not an Army of the New Republic, since the Rebels “learned the lesson” of having a standing army)

No offense, kid, but I don’t think you know how to boil water.

Author
Time

I would have loved to see 7-9 be about an outside threat that forces the New Republic and the remnants of the Empire to join together and fight as one. Stylistically it would have allowed the film makers to use all the old ship designs etc and come up with a whole load of brand new stuff.

liamnotneeson said:

Hal 9000 said:

Can we get a much lower budget episodes 10 to 12 set 100 years in the future directed by Rian Johnson, with story ideas about the Force being front and center? The goal would be to explore the meat of the concepts we’ve been shown and about building the Jedi back up without there being a ‘holy crap bad guy uberthreat.’ Small scale, spiritual stakes on a personal level. Could be made soonish, with the ST characters all having died by that point, but could be referenced or perhaps shown in flashbacks. Luke and other Jedi could always pop in as ghosts, but this would have to be done soonish for much of that.

This is what VII-IX should have been minus being set 100 years in the future. Instead of having the bad guys be a threat to the galaxy, have them be a treat to the characters

Actually, coming to think of it, if you remove the whole Rebels vs Empire aspect of the sequel trilogy, it makes for a much better story… Of course there’s no way you could edit Stormtroopers out of the movies, but from a scriptwriting standpoint it would be so easy to have it just be Snoke and his guys vs. the protagonists who are part of some renamed Resistance (not an Army of the New Republic, since the Rebels “learned the lesson” of having a standing army)

Author
Time

That’s a cool idea. Honestly you could’ve had something similar to what was already in the films. The First Order could’ve been your Imperial Remnant, fighting with the New Republic, then a Sith Cult out in the Unknown Regions introduces a new threat that brings the two factions together. Maybe they wanted to resurrect a Sith Lord and begin a new Sith Empire. Could’ve been Sidious, or Darth Bane, or a brand new guy.

That is one major thing I wish would’ve been different. If they just had to bring back Palpatine, I wish the plot would’ve revolves around the cult trying to resurrect him and the good guys trying to stop that, rather than him physically existing out in the Unknown Regions all this time.

Author
Time

RogueLeader said:

That’s a cool idea. Honestly you could’ve had something similar to what was already in the films. The First Order could’ve been your Imperial Remnant, fighting with the New Republic, then a Sith Cult out in the Unknown Regions introduces a new threat that brings the two factions together. Maybe they wanted to resurrect a Sith Lord and begin a new Sith Empire. Could’ve been Sidious, or Darth Bane, or a brand new guy.

I’d have made the First Order Luke’s Jedi Order after Kylo Ren fell to the dark side and booted Luke and his loyalists out — a dark side cult/terrorist faction hostile to both the New Republic and Imperial Remnant. They would’ve manipulated events to get the Republicans and Imperials embroiled in a new war, would would’ve destabilized both sides, leaving them vulnerable to the First Order’s true masters — alien invaders from the Unknown Regions.

Divergent Universes
Dreams of a Randy Git-Fiend

Make Off Topic great again.

Author
Time

I’ve said this already but I would’ve had Mon Mothma be the new Sidious - pissed off because her unholy alliance with Palpatine in ROTJ (she killed the Bothan spies herself and passed on the false Death Star information in exchange for a seat at Palpatine’s side) was thwarted by the rebels. She would have been reconstituting the Empire in secret whilst corrupting Ben Solo with lies about his folks and glorious tales of his grandfather Anakin Vader.

And I would’ve had the New Republic using Star Destroyers and Tie fighters while the FO flies X-Wings and Y-Wings. Just to mess with the audience’s heads…

Author
Time

Wow, that’s a terrible idea. I do love the idea of the Imperial Remnant and New Republic teaming up against an external threat. There’s no doubt in my mind that that threat should be he Yuuzhan Vong, and I say that as someone who’s never read any of the books they’re in. The idea of these super metal looking baddies wielding biotechnology just sounds awesome, and suitably alien for a race from another galaxy.

Author
Time

Nah, there shouldn’t need to be a completely new threat to make a compelling ST. Just have the focus be on the reconstruction of the galaxy. Not that there couldn’t be new twists on old ideas, like a full-scale droid uprising or the legacy of cloning, but the Star Wars numbered Saga needs to eat everything on its thematic plate before going for dessert.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DuracellEnergizer said:

RogueLeader said:

That’s a cool idea. Honestly you could’ve had something similar to what was already in the films. The First Order could’ve been your Imperial Remnant, fighting with the New Republic, then a Sith Cult out in the Unknown Regions introduces a new threat that brings the two factions together. Maybe they wanted to resurrect a Sith Lord and begin a new Sith Empire. Could’ve been Sidious, or Darth Bane, or a brand new guy.

I’d have made the First Order Luke’s Jedi Order after Kylo Ren fell to the dark side and booted Luke and his loyalists out — a dark side cult/terrorist faction hostile to both the New Republic and Imperial Remnant. They would’ve manipulated events to get the Republicans and Imperials embroiled in a new war, would would’ve destabilized both sides, leaving them vulnerable to the First Order’s true masters — alien invaders from the Unknown Regions.

I like this idea. Anakin destroyed the Sith, but now another faction has taken it’s place. I think this would’ve helped feed into Luke believing the Jedi fundamentally flawed and wanting something new to take its place.

Really the key would’ve been to have made the Knights of Ren bigger antagonists. They could’ve been separate from the Imperial remnant/First Order, but they could’ve used Ben Solo’s status as “Heir to the Empire” to incite attacks against the New Republic. Make the Empire great again and all that. Which would lead to war by the end of the first film.

Kylo Ren could’ve deposed the Supreme Leader (non-Force sensitive, just an Imperial Warlord) at the end of the second film, and declared himself the new Leader/Emperor.

Maybe in the third film, the Knights try to depose Kylo, and he ends up having to work with the good guys to stop their plans, but ends up going good and helping reunify the “Empire” and “Republic”.

Luke could’ve helped train the next generation of Jedi before sacrificing himself, including Rey, Finn, and maybe Poe. And then you could’ve had a few Jedi versus a few Knights of Ren as the climax. But the big thing would’ve been to add characterization to the other Knights and give them their own motivations, too.

I really don’t think the broad strokes would have needed to be much different (besides the last film).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Shopping Maul said:

I’ve said this already but I would’ve had Mon Mothma be the new Sidious - pissed off because her unholy alliance with Palpatine in ROTJ (she killed the Bothan spies herself and passed on the false Death Star information in exchange for a seat at Palpatine’s side) was thwarted by the rebels. She would have been reconstituting the Empire in secret whilst corrupting Ben Solo with lies about his folks and glorious tales of his grandfather Anakin Vader.

And I would’ve had the New Republic using Star Destroyers and Tie fighters while the FO flies X-Wings and Y-Wings. Just to mess with the audience’s heads…

So… you’d have Mon Mothma be Force-sensitive? ',:I

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

Yep, could have been good. Sadly, we got… what we got.

RogueLeader said:

That’s a cool idea. Honestly you could’ve had something similar to what was already in the films. The First Order could’ve been your Imperial Remnant, fighting with the New Republic, then a Sith Cult out in the Unknown Regions introduces a new threat that brings the two factions together. Maybe they wanted to resurrect a Sith Lord and begin a new Sith Empire. Could’ve been Sidious, or Darth Bane, or a brand new guy.

Author
Time

FreezingTNT2 said:

Shopping Maul said:

I’ve said this already but I would’ve had Mon Mothma be the new Sidious - pissed off because her unholy alliance with Palpatine in ROTJ (she killed the Bothan spies herself and passed on the false Death Star information in exchange for a seat at Palpatine’s side) was thwarted by the rebels. She would have been reconstituting the Empire in secret whilst corrupting Ben Solo with lies about his folks and glorious tales of his grandfather Anakin Vader.

And I would’ve had the New Republic using Star Destroyers and Tie fighters while the FO flies X-Wings and Y-Wings. Just to mess with the audience’s heads…

So… you’d have Mon Mothma be Force-sensitive? '😓

Sure, why not?

The reason I’m sold on this idea is that it provides a direct link to the OT without diminishing its achievements. Let’s be frank, the only possible post-ROTJ scenario is either ‘a new deadly threat’ or ‘the Empire reconstituted itself’. The ST basically reboots everything to pre-ROTJ status.

Having Mothma as Palpatine’s ally (or wife/partner) and the true source of the Bothan tapes plants a sinister seed in the heart of ROTJ without undermining it. It allows the victory to be as it was - with a New Republic flourishing as expected and Palpatine staying dead - but now there’s a valid fly in the ointment that leads logically to the ST. Mothma would be in a prime political position to not only gather allies for her revenge on the rebellion/New Republic, but she would also be perfectly positioned to bend the ear of Han and Leia’s son. In this version of the ST she would be presented as a shadowy hooded figure a la Sidious, with her true identity revealed in the 3rd film. She could even play the dual-role that Palpatine did in the prequels - liaising with Leia and co. in a fanservicey white gown whilst simultaneously being a Sith creep via hologram.

If you imagine this scenario and then watch the “many Bothans died” scene in ROTJ, it’s really dark…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Since we’re talking about disappointing aspects of the sequel trilogy, I’d say one of the most disappointing aspects of the trilogy is having The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi take place so close to each other.

They could’ve had The Last Jedi take place two or three years after The Force Awakens, with Rey training under Luke since after The Force Awakens. The Resistance subplot can start off the same (the whole evacuation and space chase stuff), Kylo has continued his training that was mentioned by Snoke in the last film, Rey and Kylo have their interactions, etc.

These are just random ideas I’m throwing out there.

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

Wow, that’s a terrible idea. I do love the idea of the Imperial Remnant and New Republic teaming up against an external threat. There’s no doubt in my mind that that threat should be he Yuuzhan Vong, and I say that as someone who’s never read any of the books they’re in. The idea of these super metal looking baddies wielding biotechnology just sounds awesome, and suitably alien for a race from another galaxy.

Reimagine the Yuuzhan Vong into Gigeresque biomechanical monstronsities, and the Yuuzhan Vong gods into Lovecraftian entities, and I’d get behind that.

Divergent Universes
Dreams of a Randy Git-Fiend

Make Off Topic great again.