Sign In

More OUT Rerelease Rumors from John Landis! — Page 5

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Another thing to keep in mind about the crawl is that ANH was never marketed as a sequel to ROTS before 1997, so there's no expectation of OOT ANH being the fourth episode of anything.

If Plagueis shows up in the ST, not only will I refuse to watch the movies, but I won't so much as watch the trailers, either. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time

Well, except for the EPISODE IV in the crawl...

Author
Time

ray_afraid said:

Yeah, it's been known as EPISODE IV for as long as it's been known as A NEW HOPE.
There was nothing in 1977 to suggest that STAR WARS was a sequel to anything, but that changed in 1980...

In 1981-1998, it did say Episode IV in the crawl, but nobody thought "I missed I-III. Back to the video store to look for I."

If Plagueis shows up in the ST, not only will I refuse to watch the movies, but I won't so much as watch the trailers, either. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darklordoftech said:

ray_afraid said:

Yeah, it's been known as EPISODE IV for as long as it's been known as A NEW HOPE.
There was nothing in 1977 to suggest that STAR WARS was a sequel to anything, but that changed in 1980...

In 1981-1998, it did say Episode IV in the crawl, but nobody thought "I missed I-III. Back to the video store to look for I."

 As someone who took his younger cousin to the triple bill showing of the OT and showed older people the films on video I beg to differ.

I introduced a Russian couple to the films with TPM and they really wanted to see episode 2 and 3 (which hadn't been made yet) for some reason only to be confused by me leaping to Episode 4.

They liked Batman Forever too which confused me at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darklordoftech said:

In 1981-1998, it did say Episode IV in the crawl, but nobody thought "I missed I-III. Back to the video store to look for I."

*raises hand*

Actually I didn't think exactly that, but in 1980, Star Wars was clearly Episode I, and they skipped over three episode numbers when they released Empire as Episode V.

I remember excited conversations with my friends in school about what must have happened in those missing three episodes (in this case, 2, 3, and 4)--there was a hint of something that happened on Ord Mantell, so clearly there was something juicy in there.  Would it come out in a future film?  TV series?  Who knew?  Either way, LOTS of us believed it, until 1981, or maybe later if we didn't see Star Wars again right away.  Finding out Star Wars was Episode IV and not Episode I like everyone assumed was kind of anticlimactic.  Not as much as the actual prequels, but still a little disappointing.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

In my childhood, I distinctly recall hearing a TV host mention a bunch of early, black and white Star Wars movies.

Obviously, I must've completely misheard whatever that guy actually said, but for a while, I really did think that Anakin's story had already been put to film.

Author
Time

The first film is Star Wars and it will always be Star Wars to me, no matter what you put at the start won't make a shred of difference.

Author
Time

Yeah, a restoration should and in all likelihood would have the '77 version of the crawl.

I honestly don't care if they include the '81 crawl as an option or not, but since it would be the easiest thing I guess they should do it simply out of completionism for the theatrically released versions of the movies. Although, if we're gonna go down that slippery slope, where do the 70mm edits and the various sound mixes fall on the importance scale?

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

where do the 70mm edits and the various sound mixes fall on the importance scale?

 It'd be an added bonus.

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

Yeah, a restoration should and in all likelihood would have the '77 version of the crawl.

I honestly don't care if they include the '81 crawl as an option or not, but since it would be the easiest thing I guess they should do it simply out of completionism for the theatrically released versions of the movies. Although, if we're gonna go down that slippery slope, where do the 70mm edits and the various sound mixes fall on the importance scale?

 I would really love it if Empire was released with both the 70mm and 35mm versions, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

Fang Zei said:

Yeah, a restoration should and in all likelihood would have the '77 version of the crawl.

I honestly don't care if they include the '81 crawl as an option or not, but since it would be the easiest thing I guess they should do it simply out of completionism for the theatrically released versions of the movies. Although, if we're gonna go down that slippery slope, where do the 70mm edits and the various sound mixes fall on the importance scale?

 I would really love it if Empire was released with both the 70mm and 35mm versions, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Didn't Star Wars ('77) also have a whole bunch of picture edit differences in its 70mm version or am I remembering wrong?

Jedi didn't have any differences if I'm remembering my Wikipedia binges correctly.

Author
Time

Words Landis did not use:

-"Theatrical"

-"Original"

-"Restoration"

I forget who drew the distinction however many comments back between "theatrical" and "pre-1997", but the only thing we can be sure Landis meant was the latter. Which, as I've said, is fine by me and more than I'd hoped for. I don't need the mono, because I never use the mono on any of the bootleg versions I have (I'm also willing to bet that at least 75% of consumers don't even bother to find out about audio options and just play whatever the disc defaults to). I don't need completely accurate colors, because I kind of prefer the 90s home video colors anyway. I don't need the '77 crawl, because it's been Episode IV: A New Hope for the entire time I've been on this planet. What I do need is an official release of Star Wars with all the goofy distracting bullshit that's been added over the years removed. All of these features would be awesome in a prestige edition a la the Criterion collection, but I really think it's too much to ask for or expect before we know that that's what this is. If you're that bothered by the degree of accuracy, just think of it as another source for the projects that go on here. At the very, very least, folks like Harmy will finally be able to retire the GOUT. That alone is worth getting excited about.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

i thought the 2.x versions of Despecialized were already GOUT-free. I'm pretty sure of the 2.5 version.

Ceci n’est pas une signature.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

Didn't Star Wars ('77) also have a whole bunch of picture edit differences in its 70mm version or am I remembering wrong?

I think it's the 70mm version of ESB that had some picture differences.  At least one can be seen in the very first Puggo Edition 8mm digest films, if memory serves.

"Close the blast doors!"
Puggo’s website | Rescuing Star Wars

Author
Time

joefavs said:

Words Landis did not use:

-"Theatrical"

-"Original"

-"Restoration"

I forget who drew the distinction however many comments back between "theatrical" and "pre-1997", but the only thing we can be sure Landis meant was the latter. Which, as I've said, is fine by me and more than I'd hoped for. I don't need the mono, because I never use the mono on any of the bootleg versions I have (I'm also willing to bet that at least 75% of consumers don't even bother to find out about audio options and just play whatever the disc defaults to). I don't need completely accurate colors, because I kind of prefer the 90s home video colors anyway. I don't need the '77 crawl, because it's been Episode IV: A New Hope for the entire time I've been on this planet. What I do need is an official release of Star Wars with all the goofy distracting bullshit that's been added over the years removed. All of these features would be awesome in a prestige edition a la the Criterion collection, but I really think it's too much to ask for or expect before we know that that's what this is. If you're that bothered by the degree of accuracy, just think of it as another source for the projects that go on here. At the very, very least, folks like Harmy will finally be able to retire the GOUT. That alone is worth getting excited about.

 What about basic fixes, like removing matte lines, travelling mattes, etc.?  I'm talking about the kind of fixes that don't involve new effects, or changes to the story, but the kind of cleanup that would go into restoring any high profile catalogue release.

Author
Time

I'm all for it. I think the recomposited effects with the original plates from the SE look spectacular. Everyone here is really focused on the preservation aspect of this, which I agree is very important, but the main issue I take with the SE is the additions and changes, and I can't pretend I wouldn't be pleased as punch with a high def release that isn't 100% accurate (i.e. Cleaned up) as long as it doesn't have that stuff.

Author
Time

They might as well get it right the first time. If they don't, it'll be like an itch that can't be scratched - for them because there'll still be complainers, and for us because we'll enjoy it but we'll know it's not quite right.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

How accurate to the theatrical presentation is any other given home release, though? I really don't know, I'm legitimately asking. My gut feeling is that everyone's standards for this are a little unreasonable. I have trouble believing that any studio is this conscientious, so I'm loathe to pick on Lucasfilm. I'll obviously be ecstatic if they go that extra mile, but fixing the tone is so much more important to me than faithfulness in the mastering.

Author
Time

Few other films have been constantly re jiggered with to this degree, so most studios don't have such a convoluted mess to undo though.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

In my mind if they want to restore the theatrical version, that's what they'll do. I don't know why they'd even bother to look at the other home video releases. They should just go right to the start and I'm not sure why they wouldn't.

Author
Time

^Because they've got most of it redone with digital compositing already from the SE. I'm not saying they're more likely to restore the 1993 version or something than the theatrical one, I'm saying I think they could end up making a new thing with the same content as the theatrical version, but cleaned up. Like what the SE should have been.

Author
Time

joefavs said:

^Because they've got most of it redone with digital compositing already from the SE. I'm not saying they're more likely to restore the 1993 version or something than the theatrical one, I'm saying I think they could end up making a new thing with the same content as the theatrical version, but cleaned up. Like what the SE should have been.

 The problem with that is that they are then still ignoring the Oscar-winning effects of a ton of great artists. And really, a lot of us would be perfectly fins with the SE if a good version of the OOT existed on home video. Then fan editors can do the things like keeping in certain recomps and what not. Basically what kk650 is doing. I think if Lucasfilm/Disney released something like that, it would be awful.