Sign In

Lucasfilm's movie plans post Ep. IX — Page 6

Author
Time
 (Edited)

OutboundFlight said:

How so?

I think there’d be too many expectations from a lot of people that’d potentially ruin the films whichever way they go.

I’d be all in for more personal stories set during the Clone War, I think it’d really do womders for that time period. We get some of it from the TV shows, but nothing actually good.

But yeah if they want to stay away from the main saga at all costs I think the old republic era is definitely the most logical pick. I really don’t want it to be a Jedi story though, I think it’d be cool to see more Rogue One-like films.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Omni said:

OutboundFlight said:

How so?

I think there’d be too many expectations from a lot of people that’d potentially ruin the films whichever way they go.

I’d be all in for more personal stories set during the Clone War, I think it’d really do wonders for that time period. We get some of it from the TV shows, but nothing actually good.

But yeah if they want to stay away from the main saga at all costs I think the old republic era is definitely the most logical pick. I really don’t want it to be a Jedi story though, I think it’d be cool to see more Rogue One-like films.

You say there’d be too many expectations, but the Clone Wars has an even greater chance of “offending” people as it is directly connected to the films. And while I love the era there are many OT fans who don’t want to return to the PT, and I respect that… TOR is a fresh start for everyone.

I think about it like the MCU. You have a ton of comics/books/games on the era, and the producers are now free to tell their own story. Most complaints regarding the ST from fans has been towards inconsistent writing (agree or disagree). But by adapting characters you would be more in an MCU position.

The Clone Wars Cinematic Universe

Maul- Part of the CW Cinematic Universe (but old)

Author
Time

Buzzfeed just reported that a script has been completed for a KOTOR movie.

Author
Time

OutboundFlight said:

Omni said:

OutboundFlight said:

How so?

I think there’d be too many expectations from a lot of people that’d potentially ruin the films whichever way they go.

I’d be all in for more personal stories set during the Clone War, I think it’d really do wonders for that time period. We get some of it from the TV shows, but nothing actually good.

But yeah if they want to stay away from the main saga at all costs I think the old republic era is definitely the most logical pick. I really don’t want it to be a Jedi story though, I think it’d be cool to see more Rogue One-like films.

You say there’d be too many expectations, but the Clone Wars has an even greater chance of “offending” people as it is directly connected to the films. And while I love the era there are many OT fans who don’t want to return to the PT, and I respect that… TOR is a fresh start for everyone.

I think about it like the MCU. You have a ton of comics/books/games on the era, and the producers are now free to tell their own story. Most complaints regarding the ST from fans has been towards inconsistent writing (agree or disagree). But by adapting characters you would be more in an MCU position.

Man, the MCU is a lot of things but I don’t think I would ever say that it has “consistent writing.” The less SW can be like the MCU the better honestly (and I love the MCU).

Author
Time

Cthulhunicron said:

Buzzfeed just reported that a script has been completed for a KOTOR movie.

Don’t trust Buzzfeed.

DominicCobb said:

OutboundFlight said:

Omni said:

OutboundFlight said:

How so?

I think there’d be too many expectations from a lot of people that’d potentially ruin the films whichever way they go.

I’d be all in for more personal stories set during the Clone War, I think it’d really do wonders for that time period. We get some of it from the TV shows, but nothing actually good.

But yeah if they want to stay away from the main saga at all costs I think the old republic era is definitely the most logical pick. I really don’t want it to be a Jedi story though, I think it’d be cool to see more Rogue One-like films.

You say there’d be too many expectations, but the Clone Wars has an even greater chance of “offending” people as it is directly connected to the films. And while I love the era there are many OT fans who don’t want to return to the PT, and I respect that… TOR is a fresh start for everyone.

I think about it like the MCU. You have a ton of comics/books/games on the era, and the producers are now free to tell their own story. Most complaints regarding the ST from fans has been towards inconsistent writing (agree or disagree). But by adapting characters you would be more in an MCU position.

Man, the MCU is a lot of things but I don’t think I would ever say that it has “consistent writing.” The less SW can be like the MCU the better honestly (and I love the MCU).

Well, one thing you have to admit is how happy and united the fandom is. A consistent vision is my stab at the answer to that. While any piece of new SW material will divide people. I was convinced Endgame would divide people for providing a definitive ending… but that’s not the case.

The Clone Wars Cinematic Universe

Maul- Part of the CW Cinematic Universe (but old)

Author
Time

OutboundFlight said:

Cthulhunicron said:

Buzzfeed just reported that a script has been completed for a KOTOR movie.

Don’t trust Buzzfeed.

DominicCobb said:

OutboundFlight said:

Omni said:

OutboundFlight said:

How so?

I think there’d be too many expectations from a lot of people that’d potentially ruin the films whichever way they go.

I’d be all in for more personal stories set during the Clone War, I think it’d really do wonders for that time period. We get some of it from the TV shows, but nothing actually good.

But yeah if they want to stay away from the main saga at all costs I think the old republic era is definitely the most logical pick. I really don’t want it to be a Jedi story though, I think it’d be cool to see more Rogue One-like films.

You say there’d be too many expectations, but the Clone Wars has an even greater chance of “offending” people as it is directly connected to the films. And while I love the era there are many OT fans who don’t want to return to the PT, and I respect that… TOR is a fresh start for everyone.

I think about it like the MCU. You have a ton of comics/books/games on the era, and the producers are now free to tell their own story. Most complaints regarding the ST from fans has been towards inconsistent writing (agree or disagree). But by adapting characters you would be more in an MCU position.

Man, the MCU is a lot of things but I don’t think I would ever say that it has “consistent writing.” The less SW can be like the MCU the better honestly (and I love the MCU).

Well, one thing you have to admit is how happy and united the fandom is. A consistent vision is my stab at the answer to that. While any piece of new SW material will divide people. I was convinced Endgame would divide people for providing a definitive ending… but that’s not the case.

I couldn’t care less whether the fandom is divided or not. I care about the quality of the movie. People love Endgame but that’s because they created the film in such a way that their main goal was fan service/not making fans mad. I think that’s a poor way to approach a film when it’s at the expense of the story (which I’d argue is the case with that film). But anyway, fans don’t care and eat it up. That’s why it’s well received, not because the MCU has a “consistent vision” which is a claim that has no basis in reality.

Author
Time

How would you people feel if Disney released the OOT in glorious 4K and then Lucas bought back the franchise and made a proper Sequel Trilogy?

THE LUCASFILM/DISNEY STAR WARS DICTIONARY
Character: a vessel by which an ulterior motive is expressed, including social trends, one-liners, or cliché wisdom.
Derivations of Original Trilogy characters are necessary until told otherwise.
Expanded Universe: Error Error Does not Compute
Nostalgia: Original Trilogy
Story: any element of a movie that can be adapted, in part or whole, from the Original Trilogy; See also: nostalgia.

Author
Time

Jesta’ said:

How would you people feel if Disney released the OOT in glorious 4K and then Lucas bought back the franchise and made a proper Sequel Trilogy?

Not happening?

Author
Time

If we get the OOT, Lucas can remake Howard the Duck and I won’t mind. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

Jesta’ said:

How would you people feel if Disney released the OOT in glorious 4K and then Lucas bought back the franchise and made a proper Sequel Trilogy?

Not happening?

Wasn’t the question

THE LUCASFILM/DISNEY STAR WARS DICTIONARY
Character: a vessel by which an ulterior motive is expressed, including social trends, one-liners, or cliché wisdom.
Derivations of Original Trilogy characters are necessary until told otherwise.
Expanded Universe: Error Error Does not Compute
Nostalgia: Original Trilogy
Story: any element of a movie that can be adapted, in part or whole, from the Original Trilogy; See also: nostalgia.

Author
Time

adywan said:

Jesta’ said:

How would you people feel if Disney released the OOT in glorious 4K and then Lucas bought back the franchise and made a proper Sequel Trilogy?

There already is a proper sequel trilogy.

Sort of. Star Wars isn’t really Star Wars without George at the helm IMHO

THE LUCASFILM/DISNEY STAR WARS DICTIONARY
Character: a vessel by which an ulterior motive is expressed, including social trends, one-liners, or cliché wisdom.
Derivations of Original Trilogy characters are necessary until told otherwise.
Expanded Universe: Error Error Does not Compute
Nostalgia: Original Trilogy
Story: any element of a movie that can be adapted, in part or whole, from the Original Trilogy; See also: nostalgia.

Author
Time

Jesta’ said:

adywan said:

Jesta’ said:

How would you people feel if Disney released the OOT in glorious 4K and then Lucas bought back the franchise and made a proper Sequel Trilogy?

There already is a proper sequel trilogy.

Sort of. Star Wars isn’t really Star Wars without George at the helm IMHO

That’s an interesting discussion. I kimd of agree, but for example:

I notice Harley Quinn is your avatar here. I take it you’re a Batman fan, right? So, is Batman really Batman without Bob Kane and Bill Finger? Is Paul Dini eligible to write Batman stories and whatnot? So Rian Johnson should be eligible to write a Star Wars film, no?

Author
Time

Omni said:

I notice Harley Quinn is your avatar here. I take it you’re a Batman fan, right? So, is Batman really Batman without Bob Kane and Bill Finger? Is Paul Dini eligible to write Batman stories and whatnot? So Rian Johnson should be eligible to write a Star Wars film, no?

Batman is a franchise that has undergone many reboots and iterations that divulge significantly from the source material. Any writer can write a Star Wars movie, but they won’t be true continuations of Lucas’s core story. While I would like to believe that Star Wars could be different from other franchises and their multiple iterations, it really isn’t. So under that logic, there isn’t an issue with a George Lucas Sequel Trilogy being made after this one wraps up.

THE LUCASFILM/DISNEY STAR WARS DICTIONARY
Character: a vessel by which an ulterior motive is expressed, including social trends, one-liners, or cliché wisdom.
Derivations of Original Trilogy characters are necessary until told otherwise.
Expanded Universe: Error Error Does not Compute
Nostalgia: Original Trilogy
Story: any element of a movie that can be adapted, in part or whole, from the Original Trilogy; See also: nostalgia.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve never really understood franchises being exclusive to one author, but in Star Wars’s case specifically, because it’s a film series (and not, say a book series where there really is only one author), Lucas has never been the only creative mind behind the series. The world of SW has been created by a variety of people from the very start. Feels disingenuous to ignore that collaborative aspect - which is to say nothing of the series’s patchwork/pastiche nature, which in my mind seems to invite baton passing since the series is more about assimilating past stories to create a modern mythological adventure, rather than the holy “saga” that Lucas later tried to make it into. There’s this sandbox where it would be silly to limit it to just one guy playing in it. Now, when it comes to the “Skywalker saga” as LFL has reframed the episodes, even then there’s a meta resonance to having the next generation round out the story that Lucas began.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It is also worth mentioning that it is well documented in early interviews with Lucas himself ,that he planned to pass that proverbial baton off to other directors as the series progressed and he did hire other writers to flesh out the vague story ideas he had going forward , such as the late Leigh Brackett on the first draft of Empire and hiring Lawrence Kasdan to write the screenplay for that movie , Kasdan also had a big hand in writing The Force Awakens as well as Solo.And Lucas was not really even at the Helm for Empire,which is widely considered the best film in the saga .He was mostly hands off except for a few set visits and a bit of editing.Then of Course ,there are the contributions of Marcia Lucas , Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz to the original 1977 film to consider.

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

OutboundFlight said:

Cthulhunicron said:

Buzzfeed just reported that a script has been completed for a KOTOR movie.

DominicCobb said:

OutboundFlight said:

Omni said:

OutboundFlight said:

How so?

I think there’d be too many expectations from a lot of people that’d potentially ruin the films whichever way they go.

I’d be all in for more personal stories set during the Clone War, I think it’d really do wonders for that time period. We get some of it from the TV shows, but nothing actually good.

But yeah if they want to stay away from the main saga at all costs I think the old republic era is definitely the most logical pick. I really don’t want it to be a Jedi story though, I think it’d be cool to see more Rogue One-like films.

You say there’d be too many expectations, but the Clone Wars has an even greater chance of “offending” people as it is directly connected to the films. And while I love the era there are many OT fans who don’t want to return to the PT, and I respect that… TOR is a fresh start for everyone.

I think about it like the MCU. You have a ton of comics/books/games on the era, and the producers are now free to tell their own story. Most complaints regarding the ST from fans has been towards inconsistent writing (agree or disagree). But by adapting characters you would be more in an MCU position.

Man, the MCU is a lot of things but I don’t think I would ever say that it has “consistent writing.” The less SW can be like the MCU the better honestly (and I love the MCU).

Well, one thing you have to admit is how happy and united the fandom is.

The Star Wars fandom was also fairly united when the franchise was only 10 years old…
Let the MCU continue for another 30 years and you’ll see fractures.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

In spite of the 10th anniversary hoopla, things were kind of dormant at the time though. No new projects, and barely any merchandising with Kenner giving up the ship. You would have had to visit Disneyland to even find a new Star Wars shirt. Even Starlog asked the question Is the fandom dead? If TPM had come out in 1987, I think there might have been a few cracks. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

If TPM had come out in 1987, I think there might have been a few cracks. 😉

Well that’s what I’m saying. The longer things continue, it’s inevitable that some fans won’t like the direction things take.
I know many people who don’t like the influence GotG has had on the series, so it’s already there.
It’ll be interesting to see how the MCU fandom looks in another 5/10 years.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

Jesta’ said:
Any writer can write a Star Wars movie, but they won’t be true continuations of Lucas’s core story.

True continuations of Lucas’s story have been written by other writers since Lucas started hiring them to do so in 1976. Lucas didn’t have a core story beyond the 1977 film. If he had, he wouldn’t have commissioned two authors to write the sequel. One of which was published as the official continuation of the story. The contract Foster signed when agreeing to ghost-write the novelization of Star Wars was that he also write a sequel story. Lucas had no core story, no Saga, and no Original Vision of nine/twelve/six films.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

OutboundFlight said:

Cthulhunicron said:

Buzzfeed just reported that a script has been completed for a KOTOR movie.

Don’t trust Buzzfeed.

DominicCobb said:

OutboundFlight said:

Omni said:

OutboundFlight said:

How so?

I think there’d be too many expectations from a lot of people that’d potentially ruin the films whichever way they go.

I’d be all in for more personal stories set during the Clone War, I think it’d really do wonders for that time period. We get some of it from the TV shows, but nothing actually good.

But yeah if they want to stay away from the main saga at all costs I think the old republic era is definitely the most logical pick. I really don’t want it to be a Jedi story though, I think it’d be cool to see more Rogue One-like films.

You say there’d be too many expectations, but the Clone Wars has an even greater chance of “offending” people as it is directly connected to the films. And while I love the era there are many OT fans who don’t want to return to the PT, and I respect that… TOR is a fresh start for everyone.

I think about it like the MCU. You have a ton of comics/books/games on the era, and the producers are now free to tell their own story. Most complaints regarding the ST from fans has been towards inconsistent writing (agree or disagree). But by adapting characters you would be more in an MCU position.

Man, the MCU is a lot of things but I don’t think I would ever say that it has “consistent writing.” The less SW can be like the MCU the better honestly (and I love the MCU).

Well, one thing you have to admit is how happy and united the fandom is. A consistent vision is my stab at the answer to that. While any piece of new SW material will divide people. I was convinced Endgame would divide people for providing a definitive ending… but that’s not the case.

I couldn’t care less whether the fandom is divided or not. I care about the quality of the movie. People love Endgame but that’s because they created the film in such a way that their main goal was fan service/not making fans mad. I think that’s a poor way to approach a film when it’s at the expense of the story (which I’d argue is the case with that film). But anyway, fans don’t care and eat it up. That’s why it’s well received, not because the MCU has a “consistent vision” which is a claim that has no basis in reality.

The big reason Endgame worked for me is that most of the characters got resonant, consistent conclusions to their arcs. I guess that could be called fanservice, since it’s something that fans of the characters wanted to see. This is in Stark contrast to, for example, the final season of Game of Thrones. Since the showrunners were supposedly working off of the author’s own notes I can only assume that the story beats were what Martin intended when he handed them off, but the rushed execution resulted in character arcs which became incoherent or dropped entirely by the end of the show. It’s the case of story over character, and it is much worse than the Endgame approach of character over story. I think the ST so far also has this problem (with TLJ being the worst offender so far) to the point that almost every major character is uncoupled from their defining flaw or trauma when it is convenient to the story.

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

Anchorhead said:

Jesta’ said:
Any writer can write a Star Wars movie, but they won’t be true continuations of Lucas’s core story.

True continuations of Lucas’s story have been written by other writers since Lucas started hiring them to do so in 1976.

Yep. The best thing George did was get other creative people involved.
The worst thing he did was taking it all back to himself.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time
 (Edited)

NeverarGreat said:

DominicCobb said:

OutboundFlight said:

Cthulhunicron said:

Buzzfeed just reported that a script has been completed for a KOTOR movie.

Don’t trust Buzzfeed.

DominicCobb said:

OutboundFlight said:

Omni said:

OutboundFlight said:

How so?

I think there’d be too many expectations from a lot of people that’d potentially ruin the films whichever way they go.

I’d be all in for more personal stories set during the Clone War, I think it’d really do wonders for that time period. We get some of it from the TV shows, but nothing actually good.

But yeah if they want to stay away from the main saga at all costs I think the old republic era is definitely the most logical pick. I really don’t want it to be a Jedi story though, I think it’d be cool to see more Rogue One-like films.

You say there’d be too many expectations, but the Clone Wars has an even greater chance of “offending” people as it is directly connected to the films. And while I love the era there are many OT fans who don’t want to return to the PT, and I respect that… TOR is a fresh start for everyone.

I think about it like the MCU. You have a ton of comics/books/games on the era, and the producers are now free to tell their own story. Most complaints regarding the ST from fans has been towards inconsistent writing (agree or disagree). But by adapting characters you would be more in an MCU position.

Man, the MCU is a lot of things but I don’t think I would ever say that it has “consistent writing.” The less SW can be like the MCU the better honestly (and I love the MCU).

Well, one thing you have to admit is how happy and united the fandom is. A consistent vision is my stab at the answer to that. While any piece of new SW material will divide people. I was convinced Endgame would divide people for providing a definitive ending… but that’s not the case.

I couldn’t care less whether the fandom is divided or not. I care about the quality of the movie. People love Endgame but that’s because they created the film in such a way that their main goal was fan service/not making fans mad. I think that’s a poor way to approach a film when it’s at the expense of the story (which I’d argue is the case with that film). But anyway, fans don’t care and eat it up. That’s why it’s well received, not because the MCU has a “consistent vision” which is a claim that has no basis in reality.

The big reason Endgame worked for me is that most of the characters got resonant, consistent conclusions to their arcs. I guess that could be called fanservice, since it’s something that fans of the characters wanted to see. This is in Stark contrast to, for example, the final season of Game of Thrones. Since the showrunners were supposedly working off of the author’s own notes I can only assume that the story beats were what Martin intended when he handed them off, but the rushed execution resulted in character arcs which became incoherent or dropped entirely by the end of the show. It’s the case of story over character, and it is much worse than the Endgame approach of character over story. I think the ST so far also has this problem (with TLJ being the worst offender so far) to the point that almost every major character is uncoupled from their defining flaw or trauma when it is convenient to the story.

When I say Endgame priotized fan service over story, understand that I consider character to be at least half of what makes a story. I would actually say Thrones is a perfect comparison to Endgame, where the conclusions make sense for the characters in a broad sense but none of the legwork is put in to make them feel earned or satisfying. The only glaring difference being that the MCU has never been all that invested in consistent and clear character development, whereas Thrones has always been very granular and gradual in that regard so descending into mostly spectacle only ends up feeling wrong for one of them (the other difference being that the MCU conclusions are crowd pleasing).

I’d say they both make TLJ seem like a masterpiece of character work in comparison (which is not necessarily something I would call it). TLJ is the only of the three that actually seems to take any interest in putting time into coherent character progression.