Sign In

Last web series/tv show seen — Page 87

Author
Time

Only Penguinz0. Although his aren’t really let’s Plays but his older ones are downright hilarious.

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

moviefreakedmind said:

chyron8472 said:

Does a Let’s Play qualify as a web series?

My wife and I have been watching several Let’s Plays on Youtube by MasaeAnela. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Tales of Symphonia so far I think.

watching someone else play a video game was considered a form of torture. 😉

Why is that? …Maybe if they have no idea what they’re doing.

But a Let’s Play’s enjoyment hinges more on the quality of the commentary than the skill of the gameplay.

I just remember other kids in the neighborhood or my older sisters and brothers would play video games and I would sit and watch and be really bored because I wanted to be the one playing it.

The Person in Question

Author
Time
 (Edited)

chyron8472 said:

moviefreakedmind said:

chyron8472 said:

Does a Let’s Play qualify as a web series?

My wife and I have been watching several Let’s Plays on Youtube by MasaeAnela. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Tales of Symphonia so far I think.

watching someone else play a video game was considered a form of torture. 😉

Why is that? …Maybe if they have no idea what they’re doing.

But a Let’s Play’s enjoyment hinges more on the quality of the commentary than the skill of the gameplay.

It’s the commentary that turns me away. It’s almost always an annoying “nerd” type who talks too much.
Watching a skilled player play through a Zelda title can be cool, watching the story unfold like a movie. But usually it’s like watching your roommates obnoxious friend play while your roommate isn’t even home.

moviefreakedmind said:

chyron8472 said:

moviefreakedmind said:

chyron8472 said:

Does a Let’s Play qualify as a web series?

My wife and I have been watching several Let’s Plays on Youtube by MasaeAnela. Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Tales of Symphonia so far I think.

watching someone else play a video game was considered a form of torture. 😉

Why is that? …Maybe if they have no idea what they’re doing.

But a Let’s Play’s enjoyment hinges more on the quality of the commentary than the skill of the gameplay.

I just remember other kids in the neighborhood or my older sisters and brothers would play video games and I would sit and watch and be really bored because I wanted to be the one playing it.

Yes! It’s like watching RotS!

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

Westworld.
Yes I know, I’m late to the party, but I binged it a couple of weeks ago totally unspoiled.
And. I. Was. Blewn. Away.
One of the best series I’ve seen in a long time.

I haven’t watched the video oojason linked as I try to watch season 2 as unspoiled as possible.

Also A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2: really good and I love NPH’s performance as much as I hate Carrey’s.

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

TK-949 said:

Also A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2: really good and I love NPH’s performance as much as I hate Carrey’s.

Time for you and Dek to slug it out.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TK-949 said:

Westworld.
Yes I know, I’m late to the party, but I binged it a couple of weeks ago totally unspoiled.
And. I. Was. Blewn. Away.
One of the best series I’ve seen in a long time.

I haven’t watched the video oojason linked as I try to watch season 2 as unspoiled as possible.

Also A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2: really good and I love NPH’s performance as much as I hate Carrey’s.

It’s okay to watch the video mate - honest, if you have watched the end of Season 1 it is ok to watch.

Am looking forward to seeing what they do next this season - cracking and absorbing show.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

I find that answer vague and unconvincing. Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves?
Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

TK-949 said:

Also A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2: really good and I love NPH’s performance as much as I hate Carrey’s.

Time for you and Dek to slug it out.

Don’t get me wrong, I like some of Carrey’s movies, but in the case of ASOUE…
NPH is Count Olaf, Jim Carrey is… well, just Jim Carrey.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Finished season 3 of Person of Interest.

Holy crap did this show go from aggressively average to fucking fantastic. Glad I forced myself through the procedural chunk of the show and made it to the awesome sci-fi, it was well worth it.

I’m also very tempted to put Amy Acker’s character in this above Fred/Illyria from Angel. I’ll wait until I’ve finished out the show to make that call, though.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
 (Edited)

^ Watching the show at the time of it’s airdate… several leaks to the press re Govt surveillance systems, and what was happening to whistleblowers gave it an extra sense of intrigue. At one point it seemed the show was ahead of what happening in real life at that time.

You have a lot of good stuff to come still - I envy you in watching it all for that first time…

PS - Bear is boss 😃

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

I find that answer vague and unconvincing. Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves?
Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time

Watched the first half of the HBO Elvis Presley doc last night and enjoyed it immensely.

Author
Time

Watched the HBO Andre the Giant doc and it’s really good.

Author
Time

I believe it was joefavs (on twitter) who said “I don’t see the point in doing Lost in Space if you aren’t going to make it campy as hell,” and I’m inclined to agree.

The Drink in Question

Author
Time

suspiciouscoffee said:

I believe it was joefavs (on twitter) who said “I don’t see the point in doing Lost in Space if you aren’t going to make it campy as hell,” and I’m inclined to agree.

I only watched the first five episodes of the original series (not counting the pilot), so I never really experienced the infamous campiness. I was just hoping for a genuine sci-fi series featuring likable characters lost in space; this doesn’t deliver in any respect.

Divergent Universes
Dreams of a Randy Git-Fiend

Author
Time

I’ve only seen a handful of episodes as well, but I enjoyed them for their camp fun.

The Drink in Question

Author
Time

With Lost in Space it’s best to just watch the original pilot as if it was a TV movie (essentially what a pilot is anyway). No Dr. Smith or robot, just a pretty serious sci-fi story from the 60s with nice characters.

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

Finished season 3 of Person of Interest.

Holy crap did this show go from aggressively average to fucking fantastic. Glad I forced myself through the procedural chunk of the show and made it to the awesome sci-fi, it was well worth it.

I’m also very tempted to put Amy Acker’s character in this above Fred/Illyria from Angel. I’ll wait until I’ve finished out the show to make that call, though.

This became one of my favorite shows of the last years. It took some time for me to watch it, because what I heard about the story wasn’t very appealing (a machine that can see the future? Minority Report, anyone?). But it’s thrilling as hell, funny, and I’m emotionally invested in every main character.

oojason said:

You have a lot of good stuff to come still - I envy you in watching it all for that first time…

PS - Bear is boss 😃

^This, so much!

I’m still waiting for a soundtrack album for season 5, though!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Breaking Bad - Season I

I give it Four ooJason’s out of Five.

250,000 miles from home, the hardest thing to face…is yourself.

Author
Time

Saw the first ep of the new Lost in Space on netflix.

I am unsure if i will consider this good or not. I do think i will watch at least one more episode, and if it goes downhill, i may stop there.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I also watched the first 3 episodes of Lost in Space this weekend. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I’d only seen snippets of the old school TV show, but never cared for it. I don’t care for camp. Star Trek, while campy in its own right, was at least mostly serious.

This new series, I keep comparing to the 90’s film. The film was a decent popcorn flick, but this show actually is interesting. I like the characters, but I wish they didn’t write the Dad as one of those he’s-never-there types. Also, the “Dr. Smith” character is much more interesting in this series, despite my comparative liking for Gary Oldman as an actor. She’s much more creepy and sinister as a criminal with no concience, while Oldman’s Smith was simply evil because he liked being evil.

It’s good. I think I’ll keep watching it.

JEDIT: Also, I’ve heard a number of people say the Robot looks like a Geth. I hadn’t thought of that, but it’s true. And that just gets me more interested.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

I decided to rewatch the first season, to refresh my memory of events before proceeding to the second. My opinion of the show, which wasn’t all that high to begin with, has fallen.

SPOILERS

  1. This Ash isn’t the Ash from the movies; this is a flanderized caricature of Ash. The Ash from the films may have been rude ‘n’ crude — which makes sense in light of what he’s experienced — but he wasn’t a casual racist or a horndog or a numbskull like he’s portrayed here. This Ash simply isn’t likable; his only saving grace is his one-liners.

  2. Kelly. I don’t like her. I don’t like her personality, I don’t like her voice, and I don’t like her makeup.

  3. All the interesting characters on this show die within episodes of their introduction. Lionel and El Brujo? Both had special knowledge/talents which could’ve been of recurrent use to the main characters further down the line. But nope, they were killed and became Deadites. Elegos? He could’ve been a recurring villain, if not a main villain in his own right. He acts the boogeyman for all of three episodes, then he’s blown to pieces. Quoth the Thulsa Doom, “Such a waste.”

  4. Amanda. What a pointless, go-nowhere character. Don’t even get me started on her “blink-and-you’ll-miss-it” romance with Ash.

  5. Ruby. She was interesting initially. Her introduction, as a demon hunter pursuing Ash under the mistaken belief that he’s allied with the Deadites? So much potential there. Then she was revealed as a Dark One who just wants to control the forces of darkness 'cause she’s EVIIIIL. Bleech.

  6. The tone. It’s trying to be violent/gory as well as funny, but it’s no Evil Dead II. Evil Dead II knew how to balance comedy and horror. Ash vs. Evil Dead is a discordant clusterfuck of tastelessness.

  7. So no one ever went to the cabin in the years between Evil Dead II and this series? Ash’s parents never asked him what became of Cheryl? None of the family/friends/co-workers/employers of Scotty/Shelly/Linda ever made inquiries about their whereabouts? No random visitors/hikers ever explored the cabin grounds and found the remains of any of the people who died there? It just raises too many questions.

My individual episode ratings:

  • “El Jefe” – 6/10
  • “Bait” – 7/10
  • “Books from Beyond” – 7/10
  • “Brujo” – 7/10
  • “The Host” – 6/10
  • “The Killer of Killers” – 6/10
  • “Fire in the Hole” – 5/10
  • “Ashes to Ashes” – 7/10
  • “Bound in Flesh” – 5/10
  • “The Dark One” – 4/10

My rating for the season (and the show):

★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆

I’m still going to check out the second season. If I like it more than the first, then my rating will improve. If not …

Divergent Universes
Dreams of a Randy Git-Fiend

Author
Time

Finally got around to watching “Fawlty Towers” recently,
now going through “Father Ted” and (very slowly) “Still Game” starting with series one, although I have seen the latest series while it was airing.

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

I decided to rewatch the first season, to refresh my memory of events before proceeding to the second. My opinion of the show, which wasn’t all that high to begin with, has fallen.

SPOILERS

  1. This Ash isn’t the Ash from the movies; this is a flanderized caricature of Ash. The Ash from the films may have been rude ‘n’ crude — which makes sense in light of what he’s experienced — but he wasn’t a casual racist or a horndog or a numbskull like he’s portrayed here. This Ash simply isn’t likable; his only saving grace is his one-liners.

  2. Kelly. I don’t like her. I don’t like her personality, I don’t like her voice, and I don’t like her makeup.

  3. All the interesting characters on this show die within episodes of their introduction. Lionel and El Brujo? Both had special knowledge/talents which could’ve been of recurrent use to the main characters further down the line. But nope, they were killed and became Deadites. Elegos? He could’ve been a recurring villain, if not a main villain in his own right. He acts the boogeyman for all of three episodes, then he’s blown to pieces. Quoth the Thulsa Doom, “Such a waste.”

  4. Amanda. What a pointless, go-nowhere character. Don’t even get me started on her “blink-and-you’ll-miss-it” romance with Ash.

  5. Ruby. She was interesting initially. Her introduction, as a demon hunter pursuing Ash under the mistaken belief that he’s allied with the Deadites? So much potential there. Then she was revealed as a Dark One who just wants to control the forces of darkness 'cause she’s EVIIIIL. Bleech.

  6. The tone. It’s trying to be violent/gory as well as funny, but it’s no Evil Dead II. Evil Dead II knew how to balance comedy and horror. Ash vs. Evil Dead is a discordant clusterfuck of tastelessness.

  7. So no one ever went to the cabin in the years between Evil Dead II and this series? Ash’s parents never asked him what became of Cheryl? None of the family/friends/co-workers/employers of Scotty/Shelly/Linda ever made inquiries about their whereabouts? No random visitors/hikers ever explored the cabin grounds and found the remains of any of the people who died there? It just raises too many questions.

My individual episode ratings:

  • “El Jefe” – 6/10
  • “Bait” – 7/10
  • “Books from Beyond” – 7/10
  • “Brujo” – 7/10
  • “The Host” – 6/10
  • “The Killer of Killers” – 6/10
  • “Fire in the Hole” – 5/10
  • “Ashes to Ashes” – 7/10
  • “Bound in Flesh” – 5/10
  • “The Dark One” – 4/10

My rating for the season (and the show):

★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆

I’m still going to check out the second season. If I like it more than the first, then my rating will improve. If not …

I preferred the second season (didn’t finish it though) but I think the only episode I really loved was the first one. I agree with all your points, especially the characters being quickly killed off. Takes the tension away.

Not enough people read the EU.