Sign In

Last movie seen — Page 631

Author
Time

LuckyGungan2001 said:

SilverWook said:

How did you manage to see it so early?

Came out on the 24th in Australia.

Lucky.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

Tantive3+1 said:

What are some films someone could recommend watching for someone like me who enjoyed these films?

  1. Shin Godzilla (2016)
  2. Daughters of Darkness (1971)
  3. Possession (1981)
  4. Altered States (1980)
  5. Black Moon (1975)

Godzilla (1954 not 1956)
The Brood (1979)
The Blood on Satan’s Claw (1971)
Berberian Sound Studio (2012)
A Scanner Darkly (2006)

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

Saw Endgame today, it was fantastic.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night.
“Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook
Feel the love.

Author
Time

Watched Barry Lyndon on BBC Four last night, hadn’t seen it in many years and I was pleasantly surprised that they aired it in the correct aspect ratio and without any time-compression.

“Logic is the battlefield of adulthood.”

  • Howard Berk
Author
Time

JayArgonaut said:

Watched Barry Lyndon on BBC Four last night, hadn’t seen it in many years and I was pleasantly surprised that they aired it in the correct aspect ratio and without any time-compression.

By correct aspect ratio you mean 1.66:1? Criterion’s decision to use that aspect ratio was initially controversial but they provided documents backing it up. The old Blu was 1.78:1.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

By correct aspect ratio you mean 1.66:1? Criterion’s decision to use that aspect ratio was initially controversial but they provided documents backing it up.

I do indeed refer to 1.66:1.

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:
The old Blu was 1.78:1.

Yes, I know. 😃

There’s a scene in Filmworker, the 2017 documentary about Leon Vitali’s relationship with Kubrick, where Vitali is ranting at Warner Brothers for using the latter aspect ratio.

“Logic is the battlefield of adulthood.”

  • Howard Berk
Author
Time

Did the broadcast also include the appropriate Saul Bass Warner logo? I smiled when I saw that on the Criterion disc. Warner seems keen to erase it from history for some reason. This was probably the worst sin of the original Blu-Ray, considering the score plays over and coordinates with the animation of the logo.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

No, it did not and I noticed that unnecessary revision immediately because when the BBC aired it in the past, the original logo was present. It bemused me even further to see the Saul Bass logo during the closing moments of the end credits. I pondered, why revise one logo but not the other, or better yet, why not just leave the films alone in the first place?

I was just glad that they used the correct AR and considering its length, passed on condensing or speeding up the end credits - which has become the convention for telecasts on many channels. I only know of one broadcaster on my channel line up that refrains from the practice.

“Logic is the battlefield of adulthood.”

  • Howard Berk
Author
Time

Blade Runner. I love this movie and I love the Final Cut, but I’m confused by the Deckard replicant question. It didn’t even really cross my mind and I didn’t interpret it the way that Ridley Scott says he intended it to be interpreted. I guess that’s a testament to how beautifully ambiguous the movie is.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

Since I’ve now seen it six times, I figured I might as well post about it. 😉
https://youtu.be/ZQ-YX-5bAs0

I absolutely LOVE this film. I didn’t go see it in the theater because I mistakenly thought it was just another romantic comedy. It was marketed that way and I get it. It’s a very popular genre. It is certainly romantic and for the most part it’s a comedy. However, it so much more than that.

The story and characters are much deeper than a regular romantic comedy. The more serious underlying theme is the vast cultural differences between Asians and American-Asians. Some of that is played for comedy, but a great deal of it is the more serious story acting as a vehicle for the lighter moments.

Hats off to Chu for not explaining every detail of Asian culture and pandering to an American audience. There are parts of the Asians’ culture, language, lifestyle, and traditions that are part of scenes and dialogue which are not unnecessarily explained by some sort of awkward audience surrogate. The film, while humorous, is too deep for that.

Every character is three dimensional, even the two dimensional characters (in story). There have been no shortage of Asians and American-Asians who have confirmed that the film is right on the mark. Way too many amazing performances and amazing actors/actresses to name here. Top notch performances from everyone involved.

I will admit to finally giving it a look only after I found out Awkwafina was in it. I have a bit of a crush on her and man, she is one of the better characters in the story. Gemma Chan (as breathtaking as she is accomplished), Henry Golding (could easily be the next 007), Constance Wu (outstanding), Michelle Yeoh, Ken Jeong, Ronny Chieng, the list goes on. Perfectly cast, every character.

I’ve been watching it on-demand and twice on HBO. I suspect it’s just a matter of days before I purchase. I’ll most likely have my seventh viewing in the books before the weekend. May even be not long after I post this review.

I give this an absolute five out of five Mahjong tiles.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Avengers Endgame. A worthy epic finale to a decade of great superhero movies. Five out of five Rocket Raccoons.

Can anybody can tell me what small bit I missed at the end because my bladder was imploding?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Very. 😛

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Avengers Endgame. A worthy epic finale to a decade of great superhero movies. Five out of five Rocket Raccoons.

Can anybody can tell me what small bit I missed at the end because my bladder was imploding?

If you saw the uh… “bench scene” then you saw everything.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Mocata said:

SilverWook said:

Avengers Endgame. A worthy epic finale to a decade of great superhero movies. Five out of five Rocket Raccoons.

Can anybody can tell me what small bit I missed at the end because my bladder was imploding?

If you saw the uh… “bench scene” then you saw everything.

No, what I missed was most of the…

Thor talking with one of his Asgardian pals on a beach? I got back just as Cap wasn’t coming back from his time jaunt.

The movie could really have used an intermission. I didn’t even buy a soda!

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

Mocata said:

SilverWook said:

Avengers Endgame. A worthy epic finale to a decade of great superhero movies. Five out of five Rocket Raccoons.

Can anybody can tell me what small bit I missed at the end because my bladder was imploding?

If you saw the uh… “bench scene” then you saw everything.

No, what I missed was most of the…

Thor talking with one of his Asgardian pals on a beach? I got back just as Cap wasn’t coming back from his time jaunt.

The movie could really have used an intermission. I didn’t even buy a soda!

Oh right,

Thor passed the leader mantle to Valkyrie and decided to just be himself. Then he took off with Quill for new adventures. He may or may not still be an overweight alcoholic.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Mocata said:

SilverWook said:

Mocata said:

SilverWook said:

Avengers Endgame. A worthy epic finale to a decade of great superhero movies. Five out of five Rocket Raccoons.

Can anybody can tell me what small bit I missed at the end because my bladder was imploding?

If you saw the uh… “bench scene” then you saw everything.

No, what I missed was most of the…

Thor talking with one of his Asgardian pals on a beach? I got back just as Cap wasn’t coming back from his time jaunt.

The movie could really have used an intermission. I didn’t even buy a soda!

Oh right,

Thor passed the leader mantle to Valkyrie and decided to just be himself. Then he took off with Quill for new adventures. He may or may not still be an overweight alcoholic.

Thanks!

I would miss a GOTG scene. I wonder if Quill looked up his family before leaving Earth? His grandfather was still alive in GOTG Voi. 2. And what was the tapping/pinging sound heard over the Marvel logo at the end???

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

The sound effect very end?

No clue! A video I saw said it was like Tony Stark building the Iron Man, but I don’t know what that would imply.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

Mocata said:

The sound effect very end?

No clue! A video I saw said it was like Tony Stark building the Iron Man, but I don’t know what that would imply.

My half assed crazy theory is it’s Gamora (the one Thanos sacrificed) trapped in the soul stone, in non-corporeal form, and the plot of GOTG Vol. 3 is Quill’s quest to find it, and get her reunited with her 2014 body, so she will remember him again.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Aliens (theatrical cut)

I’m pretty sure I’ve only seen the director’s cut previously and I always thought it was just alright. In its original cut, it’s a much better paced film and is really great!

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nevermind. I thought you were talking about Alien, so I was typing a big post about how I think the pacing is that film’s biggest problem but then I realized you were talking about Aliens and I agree with you. I do wish that Burke’s final scene was in the theatrical cut, though.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

Wandering Earth.

Fairly decent plot. Although the execution is at times confusing, scenes feel a bit choppy / “wait how did they get there”, etc.

CGI meh, and too many video game physics moments to count, but I did enjoy it.

7/10