Sign In

Last movie seen — Page 601

Author
Time

Treasure Island (1950)

Been playing a lot of Sea of Thieves of late. It got me in a very piratey mood. So what better way to indulge than to partake in a classic? This was Disney’s first ever live action film and it’s a great one. If you’ve never seen it, I recommend it!

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Tobar said:

Treasure Island (1950)

Been playing a lot of Sea of Thieves of late. It got me in a very piratey mood. So what better way to indulge than to partake in a classic? This was Disney’s first ever live action film and it’s a great one. If you’ve never seen it, I recommend it!

Just started watching that actually (got halfway through before I had to do something, will finish soon).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

from what i’ve read about Superman II, Donner’s cut appears to be the superior cut. i’ll try to watch all 3 Superman movies next week - Superman (1978), and both Superman II versions.

Author
Time

Mike O said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

Handman said:

What did you think about the different cuts?

The Donner cut was better — up until the end. I would’ve given it 6/10 if it wasn’t for that stupid ending.

What basically happened was, from what I understand, that they were going to use the “spin the Earth” ending for II. Once they realized it’d work better for the first film, they moved it, figuring that they’d figure something out when they got to II, but once Donner got canned, that’s all they had to fall back on.

Collipso said:

wait, so could a very kind superman fan explain to stupid old me the different cuts available for the movies and all that?

As short as possible version: The producers, the Salkinds, hired director Richard Donner because he was the flavor of the month, having come off of a hit horror film called The Omen. Donner had artistic aspirations, whereas the Salkinds were in it purely for the money. Donner brought in his own screenwriter to completely rewrite their (according to him, completely unworkable) script. Superman and Superman II were shot back-to-back as a mega production; Donner finished about 70% of the second film before locking it to finish production on the first film. It wound up being the most expensive movie ever made up to that time. It was a big box office and critical hit, but the Salkinds didn’t want to deal with Donner again, so they unceremoniously fired him, and brought in director Richard Lester to work on the sequels. Lester reshot a bunch of Donner’s scenes as well as new scenes for II to qualify for a director’s credit, so there’s tons of extra footage. Years later, they did the best they could to reconstruct Donner’s cut. There’s also an extended cut of the first film, supervised by Donner, and a TV version with a lot of extra scenes. And presumably fan edits and deleted scenes.

There’s a lot more to this-what is who’s footage, who shot what, etc.-that’s seeped into film fan lore, but this is the basic gist of it.

They also scrapped all of Marlon Brando’s footage for II over salary disputes. Superman’s Mom suddenly being the Kryptonian hologram giving advice from beyond the grave made no sense.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

snooker said:

Nightcrawler (2014)

It was great! There were a few genuinely shocking moments.

9/10

Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed it. Though I did find Gyllenhaal’s character to be almost too unlikeable. It annoyed me at times. Though I guess that is the point.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Mike O said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

Handman said:

What did you think about the different cuts?

The Donner cut was better — up until the end. I would’ve given it 6/10 if it wasn’t for that stupid ending.

What basically happened was, from what I understand, that they were going to use the “spin the Earth” ending for II. Once they realized it’d work better for the first film, they moved it, figuring that they’d figure something out when they got to II, but once Donner got canned, that’s all they had to fall back on.

Collipso said:

wait, so could a very kind superman fan explain to stupid old me the different cuts available for the movies and all that?

As short as possible version: The producers, the Salkinds, hired director Richard Donner because he was the flavor of the month, having come off of a hit horror film called The Omen. Donner had artistic aspirations, whereas the Salkinds were in it purely for the money. Donner brought in his own screenwriter to completely rewrite their (according to him, completely unworkable) script. Superman and Superman II were shot back-to-back as a mega production; Donner finished about 70% of the second film before locking it to finish production on the first film. It wound up being the most expensive movie ever made up to that time. It was a big box office and critical hit, but the Salkinds didn’t want to deal with Donner again, so they unceremoniously fired him, and brought in director Richard Lester to work on the sequels. Lester reshot a bunch of Donner’s scenes as well as new scenes for II to qualify for a director’s credit, so there’s tons of extra footage. Years later, they did the best they could to reconstruct Donner’s cut. There’s also an extended cut of the first film, supervised by Donner, and a TV version with a lot of extra scenes. And presumably fan edits and deleted scenes.

There’s a lot more to this-what is who’s footage, who shot what, etc.-that’s seeped into film fan lore, but this is the basic gist of it.

They also scrapped all of Marlon Brando’s footage for II over salary disputes. Superman’s Mom suddenly being the Kryptonian hologram giving advice from beyond the grave made no sense.

The Brando footage was used in the Donner Cut reconstruction, and parts of it were also used for Bryan Singer’s quasi-sequel Superman Returns.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

It better be good, I’m agreeing to see it tomorrow so I can have beer and popcorn at the movies.

Author
Time

The short ahead of it is good too for a while. It’s sweet and charming and… then it devolves into HOLYSWEETJESUSWTF but it goes back to being nice after.

.

Author
Time

I’m looking forward to seeing it sometime this week, hopefully.

“After a time, you may find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Spock

Author
Time

Handman said:

I’m looking forward to seeing it sometime this week, hopefully.

Better hurry, week is just about over.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Handman said:

I’m looking forward to seeing it sometime this week, hopefully.

Better hurry, week is just about over.

“After a time, you may find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Spock

Author
Time

Hereditary-Holy fuck balls this movie. Woo ooohhhhhhhh. I don’t even know what to say about it, it was fucked up. Lots of balls though it was great. Might write a better review tomorrow when I’ve gathered myself.

Author
Time

The Incredibles

Manages to parody a plethora of super hero movies, James Bond, and War of the Worlds. And more I’m sure. 10/10

Seeing 2 tonight.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Saw 2 yesterday. (Not that I went to see Saw 2 yesterday, but I saw I2 yesterday). I’d say it’s better than 1, although I’d not give 1 a 10/10.

8/10 (I’d probably give 1 a 7/10)

Beer+popcorn = 10/10

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Saw 2 yesterday. (Not that I went to see Saw 2 yesterday, but I saw I2 yesterday). I’d say it’s better than 1, although I’d not give 1 a 10/10.

8/10 (I’d probably give 1 a 7/10)

Beer+popcorn = 10/10

Well by that metric, the theater I’m going to has a bar, so I guess it will be 12/10.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Saw 2 yesterday. (Not that I went to see Saw 2 yesterday, but I saw I2 yesterday). I’d say it’s better than 1, although I’d not give 1 a 10/10.

8/10 (I’d probably give 1 a 7/10)

this was extremely confusing to me

maybe use proper sentences next time

like ‘I saw Incredibles 2 yesterday.’

inb4 frink’s grammer complaint: me = ‘touché’

Author
Time

It wasn’t cliche and I didn’t see the story coming. Its atmosphere culminated a sense of dread I haven’t felt in a movie in a long time. The whole vibe was harrowing. It being made as an independent film and then later picked up for major distribution definitely did it some favors as the director was clearly not constrained to follow standard tropes and cliches.