Kenobi: A Star Wars Story
To inquire about this edit, email krausfadr at gmail dot com and include the word fanedit in the subject line.
This edit is a series to film fanfix
Other edits have left in too much of the low budget scenes for me. I would love to have a high budget edit that runs at 2 hours. But this is not possible… but it is possible to tell a full story at 1 hour 45 minutes.
This series was a puzzling assortment of unevenness with much low budget filler material. It also went from a Jawa making “stinky” jokes suited for third graders— to an innocent woman getting her hand brutally sliced off with a lightsaber. With such dark material it made little sense for Disney, after the fact, to try and turn it into a light hearted show for small children. They put minimal time and budget into their retrofitted material and it shows.
The first fight/encounter between Vader and Ben (dragged into fire) was a cool concept but looked like a youtube fanfilm.
Luckily the scenes for the main storylines (probably from the original script) were filmed/produced with a moderate to high budget.
This edit maintains a higher budget look and trims out so many cringey scenes of Reva, Leia, and Luke. It completely removes the ridiculous Grand Inquisitor (until Reva fills the open position). The focus is more on Ben and Vader while making both Reva and Leia more believable and likable.
Major Changes (UH, SPOILERS…)
- No prequel recap
- Anakin de-aged in flashbacks (excellent work by darth porg)
- Ben being dragged into the fire by Vader is now all a dream/vision that haunts Ben
- Lighting, atmospheric VFX, and color grading to make some scenes feel more polished
- Much less Leia and Luke throughout
- Haja fake Jedi storyline eliminated
- Added a thumpin’ tune being played on Tatooine that you might recognize if you have the death sentence in twelve systems
- First time we see Leia is after she’s already been kidnapped so no Power Rangers chasing her around the woods
- Much less Reva, you’ll care about her now that she’s not so annoying (maybe)
- Stabilized several very unnecessary and nauseating shaky cam shots during the planning of infiltrating the Imperial base
- Some Anakin flashbacks moved around and also moved the long Younglings flashback
- New intro text informing us the Grand Inquisitor is presumed killed by a Tusken Raider
- The Inquistors are never shown on Tatooine
- Better Jawa dialogue in the conversation with Ben
- We see Vader much sooner, and the first we see of Reva, she’s a hologram
- The man hung in Tatooine is not a Jedi, the Empire is punishing the town for what the Sandpeople did to the Grand Inquisitor
- After being abducted Leia does not go to Daiyu and is instead soon transferred to the Imperial base on the water moon, Nur
- Reva never interrogates Leia, she’s just bait
- Ben meets Tala (the spy) on Daiyu, no low budget adventures of Ben and Leia hitchhiking on planet Mapuzo
- Reva is not on Daiyu
- Battle sequences tightened and greatly improved
- Fighter craft don’t hover completely still while shooting enemies
- Reva’s lightsaber is not a spinning steering wheel
- Ben does not give a lackluster speech while on the refugee transport being attacked by the Star Destroyer
- Leia doesn’t have a meltdown on the refugee transport, now she somberly senses Ben is leaving because she is emotionally intelligent
- Slightly trimmed the final lightsaber battles to remove a few low budget looking shots
- A badly injured Vader does not vow to destroy Kenobi
- Reva dies at Vader’s hand (or at least seems to), no attack on the Lars homestead
- New music for end credits