Sign In

KENOBI: A STAR WARS STORY [RELEASED] [5.1 Surround] — Page 19

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yes, it’s supposed to be dialogue carried over from the previous dialogue scene as it does in the original. It is not supposed to be intercom here.

I’m decent in After Effects, but I don’t have the program on this laptop unfortunately, so my effects work is limited. However, I do use Unreal Engine and would perhaps be able to create VFX from there. How so?

A shadow on the door is a good idea. Footage definitely not done, so this is the type of suggestions I need.

We did intercom underwater in one of the previous clips (it’s quoted up above or previous page somewhere) but two or three thought it would be stupid or broke the flow of Haja communicating with him underwater. I was not one of them though, and could definitely re-do it as intercom dialogue.

General

Also, yes, I can and will add more character flashbacks when Obi-Wan is trapped underneath all the rubble. I’ll also update the first post with fresh video links for those who have missed out.

Author
Time

Ice said:

How’s this idea?

In the beginning of the film when Obi-Wan decides to give Luke the toy, we cut in the last part of the series where Obi-Wan approaches Luke and says “Hello there!”…

We then cut to the “Kenobi: A Star Wars Story” title card 😂

The Skywalker Saga:
I / II / III / IV / V / VI / VII / VIII / IX
This is the way.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

GLogus said:

This is all coming together really nicely. It’s amazing what one guy can do that a multi-billion dollar corporation can’t.

Well, thank you for that, man, appreciated. Wouldn’t stand the chance without the brilliant suggestions, contributions and support from you guys tho. This is a shared effort by far.

thevarsek said:

Anjohan said:

https://streamable.com/or8vtn

Too much to bother to list what I’ve done. Tell me if we’re getting near something or not.

Not finished product.

#Jedit: Uploaded right one.

I like it, I understand it’s not finished but I can definitely see with the finishing touches how it’ll flow and I think works great!

Quick question: from a post above you were mentioning that you could be looking at lowering the music a bit in the mix and raise it as the movie goes. What were you thinking of using for that?

I’m a mixing engineer, and the only thing I can think of that would help is running through Dialogue Isolate from iZotope - not sure if you were thinking of other techniques?

I can’t do quick turnarounds, but can do some work during weekends in case you need some dialogue isolated or something else cleaned/fixed 😃

I will simply remake the soundmix for necessary scenes. It’s within my abilities and I’m good at it having done many new soundmixes for my Game of Thrones film edits for example, but it’s very, very time consuming.

I have never heard about this dialogue isolation tool tho’. Is it free? And does it remove music in its entirety? If so… neat.

Ice said:

How’s this idea?

In the beginning of the film when Obi-Wan decides to give Luke the toy, we cut in the last part of the series where Obi-Wan approaches Luke and says “Hello there!”. We then hear Owen’s voice “I thought I told you to leave us” etc and cut to a suitable shot of Owen at the homestead. “Walk with me”, then wipe to the “He must be trained/Like you trained his father” scene (perhaps change background to suggest they are still somewhere else on the farm). We don’t see the toy being returned, so it’s implied Luke still has it. Then obi-Wan continues his adventure, and we don’t see the Lars family again…

Until, at the very end after saying bye to the Organas at Alderaan, we cut back to Obi-Wan packing up his cave. He rides his animal… and we then see him check on the farm with binoculars (scene taken from first episode). He sees Luke playing pilot, implied to be because of the toy he got at the beginning. Obi-Wan then rides away and meets QGJ.

Thoughts?

This would of course means losing the “battle” of the Lars homestead entirely, but if Reva dies by Vader’s hand it’s ok anyway

Hmm, I like the idea to a certain degree. It is fitting to kind of end with Luke before all the Leia stuff happens, so that we can solely focus on here. But! The sad thing is that Obi-Wan’s mission is in its entirety all about protecting Luke - so the film starts with Luke, and ends with Luke, is symbollic and most likely the most fitting way for it to end.

thevarsek said:

Anjohan said:

Thank you, lads and gals. Once you seal the entrance I think it is easier to seal the exit (as far as believability goes), but if you seal both - then we’re definitely at a good place.

Video Update

Here’s the updated Entrance and Exit, with alterations suggested by you community members:

https://streamable.com/exojia

The idea here is to remove the underwater communication (as a few of you didn’t like), and to improve the character and motivation of Haja. So their dialogue continues as we transition to Obi-Wan following Haja’s instructions, down and into the sewers/underwater.

Here’s the updated Escape, with a new door and a few tweaks (door needs to be adjusted and probably a little slower):

https://streamable.com/waa16m

#Jedit: I’ll respond to posts up above soon. Need a break.

The only thing I’d say is on the exit the trumpet stab coming in twice sounds odd to me - but I’m not sure everyone would notice. I’d remove the second one between the two (unsure if you have it available to remove, if not it could be tried by targeting the trumpets in the spectrum as it’s a sustained note, so easier to identify. Not sure what would be left though - again if you want to send over the audio part I can give it a stab)

Which trumpet stab? Could you pinpoint the exact time? I’m confused. I’ll look into it when I know what you mean.

scottkin said:

Question, when will this be released?

Can be within 3 days, 10 days or 20 days. It all depends on how good the final product becomes before I feel confident in releasing it.

MandThUlti said:

I feel like https://streamable.com/ngan0x is vastly superior to the mud that the writers made us trek through in the show. Well done! The only small off-putting thing in the episode is how the lightsabers didnt feel like lightsabers and felt like rods instead of plasma/lasers.

Thank you for that.

I do agree that the sabers have some issues, but it’s one of those things that starts working when you’re used to. I do think about tho, from time to time, if I will bother to re-do all the lightsabers. But that would have to be for a V2!

MandThUlti said:

Phase3 said:

NFBisms said:

This is something I put together in the other Kenobi redux thread, just in case it could be relevant to this project in some way:

NFBisms said:

I was one of those suckers who was actually really excited for Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022) because Deborah Chow and Kelley DIxon’s work on Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad fuckin’ rule. Needless to say, that was a bit misguided.

So I took a crack at editing the show to be closer in tone and style to what I expected out of BB-verse alumni.

I don’t think I’m going to do the whole show, but it was just a fun little experiment. The edit isn’t supposed to be like BB/BCS fwiw, just approaching the material with some of the storytelling philosophy I learned from them.

At the very least, Deborah Chow’s sensibilities as a director were still conducive to being arranged in this way so at least some of my excitement wasn’t unfounded

This is really great!
Anjohan: I hope that you use this in your edit! 😉

I second this, its really good.

Yes, it’s very, very good. We’ve talked about on the previous page. I suggest you read my response there. Thank you ❤️

DZ-330 said:

Ice said:

How’s this idea?

In the beginning of the film when Obi-Wan decides to give Luke the toy, we cut in the last part of the series where Obi-Wan approaches Luke and says “Hello there!”…

We then cut to the “Kenobi: A Star Wars Story” title card 😂

Hehe!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anjohan said:

Yes, it’s supposed to be dialogue carried over from the previous dialogue scene as it does in the original. It is not supposed to be intercom here.

I’m decent in After Effects, but I don’t have the program on this laptop unfortunately, so my effects work is limited. However, I do use Unreal Engine and would perhaps be able to create VFX from there. How so?

A shadow on the door is a good idea. Footage definitely not done, so this is the type of suggestions I need.

We did intercom underwater in one of the previous clips (it’s quoted up above or previous page somewhere) but two or three thought it would be stupid or broke the flow of Haja communicating with him underwater. I was not one of them though, and could definitely re-do it as intercom dialogue.

General

Also, yes, I can and will add more character flashbacks when Obi-Wan is trapped underneath all the rubble. I’ll also update the first post with fresh video links for those who have missed out.

Do you think it’s possible to add top of Leia’s head next to Obi walking?

As to the intercom, I think it may work now with the longer time between seeing Haja and the water

Author
Time

revel911 said:

Anjohan said:

Yes, it’s supposed to be dialogue carried over from the previous dialogue scene as it does in the original. It is not supposed to be intercom here.

I’m decent in After Effects, but I don’t have the program on this laptop unfortunately, so my effects work is limited. However, I do use Unreal Engine and would perhaps be able to create VFX from there. How so?

A shadow on the door is a good idea. Footage definitely not done, so this is the type of suggestions I need.

We did intercom underwater in one of the previous clips (it’s quoted up above or previous page somewhere) but two or three thought it would be stupid or broke the flow of Haja communicating with him underwater. I was not one of them though, and could definitely re-do it as intercom dialogue.

General

Also, yes, I can and will add more character flashbacks when Obi-Wan is trapped underneath all the rubble. I’ll also update the first post with fresh video links for those who have missed out.

Do you think it’s possible to add top of Leia’s head next to Obi walking?

As to the intercom, I think it may work now with the longer time between seeing Haja and the water

Good that you should ask. I wanted to do this, but there is no footage of Leia in a hoodie walking alone with the camera behind her. If i do find that (need to look through all the film’s footage) I’ll definitely add Leia troddling behind him.

Agreed. Rendering the Full Escape this time, with new changes.

Author
Time

Video Update - The Full Escape [Beta ? ]

https://streamable.com/afhtpd

-> (Re-)Added Intercom Dialogue with Haja, and some new dialogue to create some character growth and motivation.
-> Added shadows and enviorement interaction to and from door, in the escape part (at the end).
-> a lot more.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

^ That one cost money. Found one tho’ (thanks to you). This took me an agonizing 90 minutes. Here you go:

https://streamable.com/0zvxe2

-> Added some (fake) shadows as she walks
-> Added some (fake) light as she walks
-> and my favorite thing in life; rotoscoping (yeah, that was a joke)

My brain is too used to it now to evaluate the overall impression, but I’d say it works as long as I desaturate her a little bit more (she looks very red, but it’s mostly the compression - looks fine in HD) and you you don’t stare at it like it’s the center of attention (which we now do).

Come with ideas on how to possibly improve, if it does not work for any of you.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anjohan said:

^ That one cost money. Found one tho’ (thanks to you). This took me an agonizing 90 minutes. Here you go:

https://streamable.com/0zvxe2

-> Added some (fake) shadows as she walks
-> Added some (fake) light as she walks
-> and my favorite thing in life; rotoscoping (yeah, that was a joke)

My brain is too used to it now to evaluate the overall impression, but I’d say it works as long as I desaturate her a little bit more (she looks very red, but it’s mostly the compression - looks fine in HD) and you you don’t stare at it like it’s the center of attention (which we now do).

Come with ideas on how to possibly improve, if it does not work for any of you.

I like the idea a lot.

  • It’s pixelated … a lot around the edges
  • The lighting is a tad off. Should have harsher shadows and even though it is red, that green room lighting should be affecting it
  • I wonder if a small shadow on Obi would make her feel in the same space
  • When Obi reaches back to steal the key card, he would have punched her in the in the same physical space. What if she started from the left, and moved right afterwards?

I am being nitpicky (some of this could be as you said compression), but the idea helps sell the whole scene for me that he isn’t alone leading to the door opening scene.

Author
Time

Anjohan said:

Video Update - The Full Escape [Beta ? ]

https://streamable.com/afhtpd

-> (Re-)Added Intercom Dialogue with Haja, and some new dialogue to create some character growth and motivation.
-> Added shadows and enviorement interaction to and from door, in the escape part (at the end).
-> a lot more.

You did a superb job with this! Truly impressed! Adding Leia to the scenes and the transitions feel very natural. One point I’d like to say is that after he enters the structure from the water and disposes that first trooper. I feel like he needs to hide earlier from the two patrolling troopers. There’s a split second where the scene is empty. Maybe elongate the time before the troopers enter the scene.

Author
Time

revel911 said:

Anjohan said:

^ That one cost money. Found one tho’ (thanks to you). This took me an agonizing 90 minutes. Here you go:

https://streamable.com/0zvxe2

-> Added some (fake) shadows as she walks
-> Added some (fake) light as she walks
-> and my favorite thing in life; rotoscoping (yeah, that was a joke)

My brain is too used to it now to evaluate the overall impression, but I’d say it works as long as I desaturate her a little bit more (she looks very red, but it’s mostly the compression - looks fine in HD) and you you don’t stare at it like it’s the center of attention (which we now do).

Come with ideas on how to possibly improve, if it does not work for any of you.

I like the idea a lot.

  • It’s pixelated … a lot around the edges
  • The lighting is a tad off. Should have harsher shadows and even though it is red, that green room lighting should be affecting it
  • I wonder if a small shadow on Obi would make her feel in the same space
  • When Obi reaches back to steal the key card, he would have punched her in the in the same physical space. What if she started from the left, and moved right afterwards?

I am being nitpicky (some of this could be as you said compression), but the idea helps sell the whole scene for me that he isn’t alone leading to the door opening scene.

I agree with this but the addition of her in the scene is a good one. Though it’s rough, I’m sure he can smooth it out. Like you said, perhaps she could be a little further to the left and scaled a little smaller as I think she may be a bit big.

Author
Time

MandThUlti said:

Anjohan said:

Video Update - The Full Escape [Beta ? ]

https://streamable.com/afhtpd

-> (Re-)Added Intercom Dialogue with Haja, and some new dialogue to create some character growth and motivation.
-> Added shadows and enviorement interaction to and from door, in the escape part (at the end).
-> a lot more.

You did a superb job with this! Truly impressed! Adding Leia to the scenes and the transitions feel very natural. One point I’d like to say is that after he enters the structure from the water and disposes that first trooper. I feel like he needs to hide earlier from the two patrolling troopers. There’s a split second where the scene is empty. Maybe elongate the time before the troopers enter the scene.

Funny you should say that, because I already have. Not even joking. Prolonged it with 1 second as requested by someone on page 16/17. I can prolong it even further.

Thank you for the compliment and support.

And yes, I will smooth and enhance little Leia more tomorrow. I have read your feedbacks and suggestions.

Author
Time

Anjohan said:
Hmm, I like the idea to a certain degree. It is fitting to kind of end with Luke before all the Leia stuff happens, so that we can solely focus on here. But! The sad thing is that Obi-Wan’s mission is in its entirety all about protecting Luke - so the film starts with Luke, and ends with Luke, is symbollic and most likely the most fitting way for it to end.

Well the film would still start and end with Luke, just that the end is the binocular shot, showing that Obi-Wan is still keeping watch

Author
Time

Anjohan said:

I will simply remake the soundmix for necessary scenes. It’s within my abilities and I’m good at it having done many new soundmixes for my Game of Thrones film edits for example, but it’s very, very time consuming.

I have never heard about this dialogue isolation tool tho’. Is it free? And does it remove music in its entirety? If so… neat.

Which trumpet stab? Could you pinpoint the exact time? I’m confused. I’ll look into it when I know what you mean.

Hey - so for RX9 Advanced it’s definitely not free, but it’s specialised for audio (I’ve never used Premiere’s so not sure how good that one is, but I can vouch for iZotope’s one). I have it, so if you find Premiere’s lacking and would like me to try isolating some dialogue just let me know 😃

Re: trumpet stabs, I mean the musical crescendos that are both at the beginning of this:
https://streamable.com/waa16m

And at 7 seconds. The two seem exactly the same to me, and throw me off. Between the two, I’d keep the first one only 😃

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Opening

So, NFBisms made one hell of a opening in the spirit of what I think most of us expected the tone of Kenobi to be, and people really wanted to see it in this edit when it dropped. Me and NFBisms talked about it (page 16 or something) and I really wanted to use it, but parts of it broke with the promised tone of the rest of my edit (mostly the complete lack of music and too rapid of a pace).

So, what I did was that I re-made the opening in the spirit of NFBisms’s opening, and completely stole his first 90 seconds (because it marvelously sets the tone) and some tidbits throughout. Then the soundtrack slowly gets introduced (only the real somber tones) as we build up to a kind of PTSD-climax.

https://streamable.com/fujjec

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I really like this, including the music. That said, the pre-title part is incredibly short, as is the title itself. I’d consider putting the title after the entire video shown here, as well as providing a little bit longer establishing shots to start out and transitioning to the Lars farm stuff watching after the first set of flashbacks.

Author
Time

Anjohan said:

Opening

So, NFBisms made one hell of a opening in the spirit of what I think most of us expected the tone of Kenobi to be, and people really wanted to see it in this edit when it dropped. Me and NFBisms talked about it (page 16 or something) and I really wanted to use it, but parts of it broke with the promised tone of the rest of my edit (mostly the complete lack of music and too rapid of a pace).

So, what I did was that I re-made the opening in the spirit of NFBisms’s opening, and completely stole his first 90 seconds (because it marvelously sets the tone) and some tidbits throughout. Then the soundtrack slowly gets introduced (only the real somber tones) as we build up to a kind of PTSD-climax.

https://streamable.com/fujjec

Incredible work, so far – both to you as well as to everyone who has chimed-in with so many great ideas. This new WIP with its superb editing, just had me teary-eyed! It captures the monotony/intensity dynamic of PTSD well. I take it you’ve been, “doing your homework.” 💯👍🏼🔥

May the Force be with us.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

First thing I noticed is that “A long time ago” and Lucasfilm need to be swapped to match all the other Disney content.

Not a fan of the flipped shots.

The Kenobi logo needs some work too, it looks obvious it was a cut/paste job 😕

The Skywalker Saga:
I / II / III / IV / V / VI / VII / VIII / IX
This is the way.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

You’re right. It’s not done. The logo was scrambled together so you could see the opening in its entirety. It’ll look good upon release.

arosa1091 said:

Anjohan said:

Opening

So, NFBisms made one hell of a opening in the spirit of what I think most of us expected the tone of Kenobi to be, and people really wanted to see it in this edit when it dropped. Me and NFBisms talked about it (page 16 or something) and I really wanted to use it, but parts of it broke with the promised tone of the rest of my edit (mostly the complete lack of music and too rapid of a pace).

So, what I did was that I re-made the opening in the spirit of NFBisms’s opening, and completely stole his first 90 seconds (because it marvelously sets the tone) and some tidbits throughout. Then the soundtrack slowly gets introduced (only the real somber tones) as we build up to a kind of PTSD-climax.

https://streamable.com/fujjec

Incredible work, so far – both to you as well as to everyone who has chimed-in with so many great ideas. This new WIP with its superb editing, just had me teary-eyed! It captures the monotony/intensity dynamic of PTSD well. I take it you’ve been, “doing your homework.” 💯👍🏼🔥

Thank you, and thanks to the community. The back and forth og ideas and feedback is crafting good things.

Thank you. Hehe, yes (if you know you know).

vranir said:

I really like this, including the music. That said, the pre-title part is incredibly short, as is the title itself. I’d consider putting the title after the entire video shown here, as well as providing a little bit longer establishing shots to start out and transitioning to the Lars farm stuff watching after the first set of flashbacks.

True. I’ll prolong the title.

Hmm, I kind of like the pace of that sequence, but I’ll look into perhaps adding an establishing shot.

Author
Time

Anjohan said:

It’s not done. The logo was scrambled together so you could see the opening in its entirety.

Nevermind then! Other than those things I mentioned it’s a great opening!

The Skywalker Saga:
I / II / III / IV / V / VI / VII / VIII / IX
This is the way.

Author
Time

Did you trim down the oddities of episode 5 where the door was blown up, then up again? It always felt weird that Obiwan is told to be brought out and then brought right back. Why not just keep him out?

Author
Time

Anjohan said:

Opening

So, NFBisms made one hell of a opening in the spirit of what I think most of us expected the tone of Kenobi to be, and people really wanted to see it in this edit when it dropped. Me and NFBisms talked about it (page 16 or something) and I really wanted to use it, but parts of it broke with the promised tone of the rest of my edit (mostly the complete lack of music and too rapid of a pace).

So, what I did was that I re-made the opening in the spirit of NFBisms’s opening, and completely stole his first 90 seconds (because it marvelously sets the tone) and some tidbits throughout. Then the soundtrack slowly gets introduced (only the real somber tones) as we build up to a kind of PTSD-climax.

https://streamable.com/fujjec

Love how it’s coming together! One thing that I noticed was the desert ambience especially at the beginning changes wildly between shots (especially in the low end). Any way you can make it more even or cross fade the ambiences between the scenes a tad more? It’s not uncommon for ambiences to linger around in the next scene at least a bit to help with the transition, even if it’s a clean cut, and it’ll be less distracting in my opinion!