Sign In

James Bond 007 Thread — Page 12

Author
Time

^ Write it in a numerical list or it didn't happen ;-)

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sony hack: Next Bond movie is WAY over budget

By Jose Pagliery   @Jose_Pagliery December 10, 2014: 8:24 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

The next James Bond movie, "Spectre," is massively over budget and on track to be one of the most expensive films ever made, costing more than $300 million.

That's according to internal memos from the president of MGM Studios. Sony Pictures is the distribution partner for the 24th Bond film. CNNMoney is reviewing thousands of documents leaked online by hackers who broke into Sony.

MGM president Jonathan Glickman sent emails in early November explaining how the studio is scrambling to cut costs.

He says the current budget "sits in the mid $300Ms," but the studio has to drastically cut back to $250 million. And the shooting period already costs $50 million more than the previous film, "Skyfall."

SPOILER WARNING!

His suggestions show some Hollywood tricks:

  • Villa in Rome? It's a nighttime scene, so try doing it in London instead.
  • There's fighting on a train! Again! But use fewer carriages -- three instead of four.
  • Forget the dramatic finale in the rain. It'll lower the cost of visual/special effects.
  • Earn an extra $6 million by showing "the more modern aspects" of Mexico to maximize "the Mexican incentive." (The makers of Spectre are getting paid to film there.)

"We recognize that this movie needs to build on the past few films - and there are expectations we must meet for the audience. Still, we must find further cuts," Glickman says. "This is not about 'nickel and diming' the production."

Barbara Broccoli, the producer (and heiress to the Bond empire), fights back -- saying that she "cannot find the cemetery or villa in the UK" and refuses to cut down the number of trains.

Later, Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal, looped in on all of this, sends a note directly to MGM's president, saying: "It's insane and you know with no script this movie is gonna go overbudget."

It's a rare look at the inner workings of Hollywood.

On the positive side for the studio, though, the major product placement deal struck with Heineken is helping reduce the budget, Glickman says.

The emails also show that director Sam Mendes wants to cast Andrew Scott (who plays villain Dr. Moriarty in the Sherlock TV show) as Bond's intelligence agency boss, "C." And MGM can afford it, because they can pay Scott $1 million less than they were going to pay Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave).

A few more tidbits: There's a "lesbian bad lady." And yes, we will meet Ernst Stavro Blofeld, the evil genius behind the creepy, secret transnational organization SPECTRE.

SOURCE

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

SPECTRE Trailer: Classic 007 Edition

James Bond (Sean Connery) discovers the evil SPECTRE organization in this supercut trailer that uses footage from the classic films. Can 007 survive the villainous schemes of Ernst Stavro Blofeld? Made in celebration of the announcement of the new official Bond film "Spectre" releasing in 2015 with Daniel Craig.

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

FanFiltration said:

Sony hack: Next Bond movie is WAY over budget

By Jose Pagliery   @Jose_Pagliery December 10, 2014: 8:24 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

The next James Bond movie, "Spectre," is massively over budget and on track to be one of the most expensive films ever made, costing more than $300 million.

That's according to internal memos from the president of MGM Studios. Sony Pictures is the distribution partner for the 24th Bond film. CNNMoney is reviewing thousands of documents leaked online by hackers who broke into Sony.

MGM president Jonathan Glickman sent emails in early November explaining how the studio is scrambling to cut costs.

He says the current budget "sits in the mid $300Ms," but the studio has to drastically cut back to $250 million. And the shooting period already costs $50 million more than the previous film, "Skyfall."

SPOILER WARNING!

His suggestions show some Hollywood tricks:

  • Villa in Rome? It's a nighttime scene, so try doing it in London instead.
  • There's fighting on a train! Again! But use fewer carriages -- three instead of four.
  • Forget the dramatic finale in the rain. It'll lower the cost of visual/special effects.
  • Earn an extra $6 million by showing "the more modern aspects" of Mexico to maximize "the Mexican incentive." (The makers of Spectre are getting paid to film there.)

"We recognize that this movie needs to build on the past few films - and there are expectations we must meet for the audience. Still, we must find further cuts," Glickman says. "This is not about 'nickel and diming' the production."

Barbara Broccoli, the producer (and heiress to the Bond empire), fights back -- saying that she "cannot find the cemetery or villa in the UK" and refuses to cut down the number of trains.

Later, Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal, looped in on all of this, sends a note directly to MGM's president, saying: "It's insane and you know with no script this movie is gonna go overbudget."

It's a rare look at the inner workings of Hollywood.

On the positive side for the studio, though, the major product placement deal struck with Heineken is helping reduce the budget, Glickman says.

The emails also show that director Sam Mendes wants to cast Andrew Scott (who plays villain Dr. Moriarty in the Sherlock TV show) as Bond's intelligence agency boss, "C." And MGM can afford it, because they can pay Scott $1 million less than they were going to pay Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave).

A few more tidbits: There's a "lesbian bad lady." And yes, we will meet Ernst Stavro Blofeld, the evil genius behind the creepy, secret transnational organization SPECTRE.

SOURCE

 Oh great now the whole movie is spoiled:(

I am guessing this will be the last Bond movie after it tanks and take MGM with it.  It's the new heaven's gate. Too bad.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
According to Christoph Waltz he is not playing Blofeld, but another villain entirely.  Here is the article: http://www.slashfilm.com/christoph-waltz-blofeld-denial/

I only hope they are able to get a good actor who is just right for the Blofeld role, and that actor is willing and able to come back for a few more films like the actors playing the M.I. 6 office staff do. I would not be surprised if Blofeld only shows up  as a rarely scene background character (like in From Russia With Love, and Thunderball), and does not receive any real screen time or become the main villain until Bond 26.  They might not even tell anyone who the actor is until the release on Bond 26.

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

I thought M was Ralph Fiennes

There is no C in Skyfall what a stupid name for the head of British intelligence.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

skyjedi2005 said:

I thought M was Ralph Fiennes

There is no C in Skyfall what a stupid name for the head of British intelligence.

 Ralph Fiennes is still playing "M".  From what I understand from other sources is that Andrew Scott is playing another M.I. 6 operations officer (under or alongside Bill Tanner) named Denbig.  

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sony/Eon released the first video production bit for Spectre.

Really does not show anything, too early to say if the movie will be good or promising without even a teaser trailer being released.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

putting this back on the front page.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL LII CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TheBoost said:

who is this asshat who made this? Giving little speeches in his Crow make up, as if his fan films are world shattering statements. 

^

...and to answer your question, he's a successful film producer.

btw, the short that's linked to is only the pre-viz. As MGM have blocked the actual Bond short.

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

SPECTRE Teaser Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQJbF2CXLQ

looks interesting. More interesting than Skyfall.

Author
Time

Johnny Ringo said:

SPECTRE Teaser Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQJbF2CXLQ

looks interesting. More interesting than Skyfall.

 Yes, looks interesting. What I want to know is, where was the cat?

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

I would think they are going to avoid anything that might remind audiences of Dr. Evil, therefore, no cat.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

I would think they are going to avoid anything that might remind audiences of Dr. Evil, therefore, no cat.

 Well  I guess that kills any chance of there being any sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads then. ;)

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

If the recent films are any guide they'll do some sh*tty modern-twist update of the cat, like Blofeld stroking a Furby.

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

Ryan McAvoy said:

If the recent films are any guide they'll do some sh*tty modern-twist update of the cat, like Blofeld stroking a Furby.

 I almost forgot about this...

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

FanFiltration said:

I almost forgot about this...

That's different, Iguana's are awesome...

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

"Huhuhu, more like SkyFAIL!!11!"

Wait, wrong film.

Quite ballsy for a first trailer, I have to say. No action or action-related things whatsoever and a vibe that has more in common with a horror film than a Bond film - which I like. Ofcourse, that will probably upset Bond fans that want Bond to be Bond ("A weak and vulnerable Bond? I DON'T LIKE."), which I guess is understandable to some extent, but I'm all for trying something new, as long as that change is good. It seems to be judging from the trailer, but we'll have to wait and see. 

I really hope it's not as completely legless as Quantum of Solace (better known as Casino Royale: Part 2) by tying itself to Skyfall, though. I don't want this to be an extension piece to Skyfall, I want this to be a film that's able to stand on its own.

Author
Time

Ryan McAvoy said:

If the recent films are any guide they'll do some sh*tty modern-twist update of the cat, like Blofeld stroking a Furby.

 Furby's can be evil. ;)

https://youtu.be/0wtGbJa0k7k

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Warning: "SPECTRE" Movie Spoiler and Octopussy Novel Spoiler!

This information relates to a photograph and document shown in the new "SPECTRE" trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvQJbF2CXLQ

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Here is some information about the man with young James Bond in the partly burned photograph.  The custody document that is shown with the photograph tells us that a man by the name of H. Oberhauser at one time became the temporary legal guardian of a teenage Bond. It is suggested that the older man in the photo is H. Oberhauser, and the 3rd person in the photo (with head burned away) is his son F. Oberhauser.  

Here is some information about H. Oberhauser from the Fleming short story Octopussy.

Oberhauser taught climbing and skiing in Kitzbühel before World War II. He even taught James Bond during his youth while he was on term breaks while attending Fettes College. He formed a very strong paternal relationship with James, to such an extent that he later referred to him as his second father. After the annexation of Austria and outbreak of war with Great Britain he was drafted into the Gestapo, probably due to his ability to speak English.

One day, in the closing weeks of the war, a British officer arrived by jeep at Oberhauser's chalet and arrested him. He had told his weeping, protesting family that he was being taken to an interrogation camp in Munich. If the Oberhauser's record was clean he would be released within a week. If his family caused a drama it would just make things worse for Oberhauser.

The officer and Oberhauser drove off and Oberhauser was told that in exchange for assisting him climbing the Kaiser range, he would report to his commanding officer that he had been cleared at Munich. He guided the Englishman up the mountain to a hut where he was shot point blank in the back of the skull by the officer's Webley & Scott .45 pistol. His body was then pushed off the mountain onto a glacier below.

Twenty years later, Oberhauser's corpse was discovered by mountaineers and the case for his murder was re-opened. As serendipity had it, the case was noticed by James Bond, who set out to discover the one responsible for his friend's death.

   

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

I want to give this a chance, please be more than just a thriller like the last one. A thriller where you can guess everything that happens before it happens without any spoilers.  A film that mocks Bond and wants to be seen as serious but comes off as pretentious.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

Why would you want the movie to be a pretentious, predictable thriller?