Sign In

Info: another 16mm print of SW on eBay — Page 6

Author
Time
negative1: There was a place willing to handle the scan of the 16mm we almost got, so what's the difference with 35mm (other than the cost involved)? :) If we could line up a place to take care of the scan, those guys that offered to help chip in for the cost of the 16mm print would no doubt be more than willing to help with a 35mm print. :)

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time

for info on this...

(i guess i'll start another thread..)

please see the new appropriate thread..

 

later

-1

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time
digitalfreaknyc said:

I just got a response from the owner and he says he doesn't know how long it is but there is a shot of leia french kissing chewie in it.  Looking forward to that.

 

Was going to bid on it but if one of you guys does, then forget it.

 

It looks like negative 1 is out for the partial trailer.  You want a go at this dfnyc?

Author
Time

I have all 3 movies on 35mm and did a transfer to 70mm back in 02

I have pics of me and my kids in the back yard in the summertime watching the movies

have all 3 indy movies  titanic and i have episode 1 (missing credits )

 

The people in my area were i live dont like it due to the niose( have all equiptment from theater bankrupcy auction)

it is fun and i enjoy I only bring it out 1 time during the summer (weekend of my birthday) and we have a indy star wars marithon

 

 

 

 

Author
Time
Kristhemovieman: Wow, that must be really cool! :) If you'd be willing to help out, and we can get some pro video guys lined up to scan 35mm prints, we could have the Star Wars trilogy scanned and ready for fan restoration work. :)

The Star Wars trilogy. There can be only one.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
negative1 said:

SKot said:

Ever notice that the people who seem to have the largest amount of throwaway money for things like this (and who always win these auctions) are never the ones who are willing to share their treasures with the rest of us?
Curse the spoiled rich hoarders.
--SKot


just a question, if i had won, i would have shared it..what does
that say? (and yes, i won other expensive auctions before)..

again, if another copy comes up, maybe i'll try even harder...
but why should you expect to get it for free? because you 'deserve' it?

what happens when you spend your own large amount of $$$$ on
something? will you share it with us???? or will you just disappear
and keep it to yourself.....

yeah, i don't have too much to back up here, but i've gotten a ton
of free 'rare' copies (8mm, mono soundtrack, vinyl versions) from
people on this board...and they spend their time (2 years in adywans
case), money, and effort to share what they got...

maybe you should be cursing the greedy 'freeloaders' that don't put
up any money, and expect someone else to carry the load...

later
-1

 

Okay, I've been unable to post lately or I would have replied to this much sooner...

negative1, you have jumped to a conclusion here that's WAY off the mark.  What I'm saying here is that it seems like almost every time we find an item like this, someone who isn't one of *US* (and who usually isn't even sympathetic to our cause) always wins the auction for a ridiculous amount of money.  And then whenever they are contacted by one of *US* from this forum about collaborating, invariably they either ignore it or reply that they are not interested in sharing their loot.

You, negative1, are one of *US* (or so I can assume even though you're relatively new, considering that you post here and seem to be sympathetic to our cause).  If you're got a lot of money to spend and you manage to win one of these high-ticket items on eBay that we keep hoping someone here will get their hands on, MORE POWER TO YOU!!  Because we assume that you will put every effort into sharing or collaborating for preservation's sake.  That's what we're all about here.

It's the people who throw away large amounts of money (more than I or many of us on this forum can afford) on rare items like these film prints and then sit on them with absolutely no interest in trying to share or preserve them that I curse.  They have the money and the means, but they'd rather hoard it all to themselves.  For some reason these kinds of people never seem to join forums like this, maybe because it's not in their nature.

For my own part, I spend a HUGE amount of my own personal time and money trying to make rare things or information available for other people.  It's what I am driven to do.  Have you ever seen the complete Return Of The Ewok on YouTube or elsewhere online?  That was my project.  Before the work that OCP and I put into that, nobody was able to see the entire film unless they got lucky enough to have Warwick Davis personally show it to them.  I do a number of different websites devoted to sharing rare information and material, a couple of which are Star Wars-related (starwarsholidayspecial.com and my Star Wars cut scenes site).  I've been on these forums for a good while now, and have contributed to a number of projects either directly or indirectly.  I would appreciate it if you did not question my integrity and dedication to the cause here without researching it first.

You have a lot of enthusiasm and willingness to put your money where your mouth is.  That is definitely something we need.  And if you want help from the community here to help offset the cost of a film reel or other item relevant to our cause, count me in!  Great things have been achieved this way, and this is the kind of thing I live for.  Let's work together and put all our efforts into doing what the official sources can't do or won't do.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time

This was discussed early in the thread, so I dunno if anyone cares anymore, but I thought I'd throw this out there.  Maybe it'll help out with future discussions on transfers.

Some mentioned that we'd need an anamorphic lens to properly transfer the film to digital video - this isn't true.

An anamorphic lens squishes the image horizontally to fit in the full 1.33:1 frame of a 35mm film frame.  The lens comprsses at a rough 2:1 ratio.  When projected, a second anamorphic projection lens stretches the image back out with a 2:1 ratio to make the full frame aspect ratio 2.39:1 (used to be 2.35:1 until 1970, but people still call it that).

Anamorphic DVDs stretch the image horizontally to fill the 1.78:1 frame as much as possible (2.39:1 films are still letterboxed a bit to preserve the aspect ratio), and the DVD player's software squishes it again to compensate for 1.33:1 or 1.78:1 televisions.

What this means is, if you scan an anamorphic film frame at 1.33:1, all you have to do is squeeze it a little and add bars to the top and bottom to make it anamorphic by DVD standards.

In other words:

35mm frame:

anamorphic 35mm frame

Projected Image:

Projected image

Non-Anamorphic DVD:

Non-Anamorphic DVD

Anamorphic DVD (as stored, not as shown on the TV):

Anamorphic DVD (not compensated)

Finally, an anamorphic DVD as shown on a 16:9 TV:

Anamorphic DVD wide

The image quality is not representative of what you'd actually see, necessarily.

My point is, it doesn't matter if a film scanner has an anamorphic lens or not.

First, an anamorphic lens on a 16mm film frame of a film shot on 35mm anamorphically would distort the image in ways you would NOT want.

Second, you can VERY EASILY, and with almost certainly better results, fix it yourself, not to mention you're giving yourself more image to work with from the start.

Trying to correct the anamorphic distortion during the scanning would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Author
Time
SKot said:

Okay, I've been unable to post lately or I would have replied to this much sooner...

negative1, you have jumped to a conclusion here that's WAY off the mark.  What I'm saying here is that it seems like almost every time we find an item like this, someone who isn't one of *US* (and who usually isn't even sympathetic to our cause) always wins the auction for a ridiculous amount of money.  And then whenever they are contacted by one of *US* from this forum about collaborating, invariably they either ignore it or reply that they are not interested in sharing their loot.

You, negative1, are one of *US* (or so I can assume even though you're relatively new, considering that you post here and seem to be sympathetic to our cause).  If you're got a lot of money to spend and you manage to win one of these high-ticket items on eBay that we keep hoping someone here will get their hands on, MORE POWER TO YOU!!  Because we assume that you will put every effort into sharing or collaborating for preservation's sake.  That's what we're all about here.

 

It's the people who throw away large amounts of money (more than I or many of us on this forum can afford) on rare items like these film prints and then sit on them with absolutely no interest in trying to share or preserve them that I curse.  They have the money and the means, but they'd rather hoard it all to themselves.  For some reason these kinds of people never seem to join forums like this, maybe because it's not in their nature.

 

For my own part, I spend a HUGE amount of my own personal time and money trying to make rare things or information available for other people.  It's what I am driven to do.  Have you ever seen the complete Return Of The Ewok on YouTube or elsewhere online?  That was my project.  Before the work that OCP and I put into that, nobody was able to see the entire film unless they got lucky enough to have Warwick Davis personally show it to them.  I do a number of different websites devoted to sharing rare information and material, a couple of which are Star Wars-related (starwarsholidayspecial.com and my Star Wars cut scenes site).  I've been on these forums for a good while now, and have contributed to a number of projects either directly or indirectly.  I would appreciate it if you did not question my integrity and dedication to the cause here without researching it first.

 

You have a lot of enthusiasm and willingness to put your money where your mouth is.  That is definitely something we need.  And if you want help from the community here to help offset the cost of a film reel or other item relevant to our cause, count me in!  Great things have been achieved this way, and this is the kind of thing I live for.  Let's work together and put all our efforts into doing what the official sources can't do or won't do.

--SKot

 

SKot,

i'm glad you answered, and can see we're on the same page,

yeah, you jumped to conclusions (i've been on this board for several years from way back , never posted though)....just like i jumped

to conclusions about you..

 

let's put it all behind now...and work together for a common cause..

 

i would like a truce, so we can just continue working on what we care for.

(and no i've never seen any of your projects, sorry, i'm still new at actually getting any of these releases,

as i just now have gotten my own high speed internet connection, and can finally download some of these releases

i keep hearing about)..

 

ok, hopefully we can move onto the fun part of actually getting the material, and having

something to play with..

 

later

-1

 

'may the force be with you always'

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time

What movie is that particular Fox logo from? I can't recall ever seeing it with a curtain before.

 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Dunno, I just found it online (it was in a scan of actual anamorphic film frames, it even had the sprocket holes on the sides)

Author
Time
negative1 said:

SKot,

i'm glad you answered, and can see we're on the same page,

yeah, you jumped to conclusions (i've been on this board for several years from way back , never posted though)....just like i jumped

to conclusions about you..

 

let's put it all behind now...and work together for a common cause..

 

i would like a truce, so we can just continue working on what we care for.

(and no i've never seen any of your projects, sorry, i'm still new at actually getting any of these releases,

as i just now have gotten my own high speed internet connection, and can finally download some of these releases

i keep hearing about)..

 

ok, hopefully we can move onto the fun part of actually getting the material, and having

something to play with..

 

later

-1

 

'may the force be with you always'

 

I'm with you there.  Let's do it!

The 35mm project looks like one of the most exciting things to come our way for a long time.  I will be following its career with great interest.

Let's hope it is as good as the seller says it is.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time

So wait...am I the only person who is bidding on the trailer?  Or is someone else as well?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think SKot and -1 are talking about the Empire reel. 

 

As far as the 35mm trailer for Star Wars, I was thinking about bidding, but if you are, dfnyc, I'll refrain as to not drive up the price.  Let me know if you want some money to help pay for the thing.  I'm happy to help.

Author
Time
Sluggo said:

I think SKot and -1 are talking about the Empire reel. 

 

As far as the 35mm trailer for Star Wars, I was thinking about bidding, but if you are, dfnyc, I'll refrain as to not drive up the price.  Let me know if you want some money to help pay for the thing.  I'm happy to help.

 

Yes, dfnyc... go for it on the 35mm trailer, and I hope you win.  I'm very curious about that thing.

I'm also willing to contribute if you need extra $$ to help win it.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time

yeah, and when you figure out how to convert 35mm film, let me know!!!!!!!

 

later

-1

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time

ok.  we'll see what I can do.  I won't go crazy but I'm definitely curious.  Since I live in NYC... I'm sure I can find someone somewhere who will transfer this for me.

Author
Time

It looks like Negative1 decided to outbid me.  Oh well.  Now he just has to pay more because of it.

Author
Time
digitalfreaknyc said:

It looks like Negative1 decided to outbid me.  Oh well.  Now he just has to pay more because of it.

 

Looks like he got it, for the low price of $26.65.  Not bad!

Not sure what the point of outbidding you was, though.  Maybe he didn't know it was you by your eBay ID?

As long as one of us got it and is willing to share, all is good.

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
 (Edited)
digitalfreaknyc said:

It looks like Negative1 decided to outbid me.  Oh well.  Now he just has to pay more because of it.

 oh shoot!!!!

 

i forget i had left in a bid in an automated system a long time ago (in a galaxy, far far away), and didn't remove it!!!!

sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

 

ok, how about this, now we can 'play around' with this print,

and then decide what to do with 'empire strikes back'..

 

deal?

 

ok,.............................(reminds himself to not put in automatic bids)..

 

actually i thought it would go a lot higher than that!

 

later

-1

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time
negative1 said:

digitalfreaknyc said:

It looks like Negative1 decided to outbid me.  Oh well.  Now he just has to pay more because of it.

 oh shoot!!!!

 

i forget i had left in a bid in an automated system a long time ago (in a galaxy, far far away), and didn't remove it!!!!

sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

 

ok, how about this, now we can 'play around' with this print,

and then decide what to do with 'empire strikes back'..

 

deal?

 

ok,.............................(reminds himself to not put in automatic bids)..

 

actually i thought it would go a lot higher than that!

 

So did I... very nice price on that.  Excellent work!  I can't wait to see what this trailer has on it.  I've never heard of it, and with the early "pointed W" version of the SW logo, it could contain some really cool stuff.

The only 35mm film reel I own is a trailer from the SE of ROTJ.  Never been played; still has the sticker sealing it.  Too bad it's not the original edition one with the sandstorm footage...

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time

Well...look at it this way.  It would have gone for HALF the price it sold for had I not bid for it.  Oh well.

Author
Time

This trailer should be easy enough to put together.  Maybe a day or two of scanning in the images and using a program (like avisynth) to assemble the images into a movie.  Extracting the audio is a different headache all together.

Author
Time

I just won a return of the jedi 1983 flat trailer in 35mm.  Im fairly sure it is one of the ones on the 2004 box set, it is not the revenge of the jedi teaser i wanted but at least it is not the special edition.

I hope i also win the raiders 8mm digest but i probably won't since i lost the star trek 2 digest auction.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
Puggo - Jar Jar's Yoda said:

Here we go again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160258561639

 

thank God, its empire again, if it was star wars, i would have had to bid..

 

so whats up with these 16mm versions, when did they come out?

also, seriously, besides the 8mm versions, and this 16mm version of

star wars i here about......has there really been no one else with a

film version available to transfer?

i'm pretty sure these come up frequently, and i've only been looking

in the last few months...................

 

i'm surprised there aren't more prints out there that are available to

people here??????????????????????????????????????????????

 

later

-1

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]