Sign In

Info: Recommended Editions of Disney Animated (and Partially Animated) Features — Page 46

Author
Time
 (Edited)

GoboFraggle1983 said:

nesboy43 said:

Are there any communities or individuals that share Disney LD rips? I made a few rudimentary ones with my DVD recorder so I could add them onto my Plex Server.

There doesn’t seem to be much on the spleen, besides Lion King.

Which Disney LDs do U have?

Most of the main features they did in CAV.

edit: Looks like myspleen isnt allowing disney rips besides cases like Lion King where its a different version of the movie that is unavailable.

This explains why all the content related to posts about Disney LD rip projects from years ago is no longer hosted there.

Author
Time

nesboy43 said:

GoboFraggle1983 said:

nesboy43 said:

Are there any communities or individuals that share Disney LD rips? I made a few rudimentary ones with my DVD recorder so I could add them onto my Plex Server.

There doesn’t seem to be much on the spleen, besides Lion King.

Which Disney LDs do U have?

Most of the main features they did in CAV.

edit: Looks like myspleen isnt allowing disney rips besides cases like Lion King where its a different version of the movie that is unavailable.

This explains why all the content related to posts about Disney LD rip projects from years ago is no longer hosted there.

Any chance U could still share the ones you have through MEGA?

Author
Time

MANY years ago – he mentioned on the first page of this topic – Doctor M did a Restored Theatrical Version of The Little Mermaid by pairing the video from the 2006 DVD with the audio from the 1999 DVD. He was that impressed with what Disney did to the audio with the 2006 two-disc release that he decided to remake their disc as something better.

As someone who adores The Little Mermaid, but whose ears aren’t near what they could be, I’m curious what the audiophiles of OT think of the soundtracks on the Blu-ray and 4K discs that followed in 2013 and 2019, and how they compare to the DVDs. I’ve trolled this thread for quite a few years, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the question raised.

If it has then, of course, my apologies.

“Before the Dark Times. Before the Prequels.”

Author
Time

MattMahdi said:

MANY years ago – he mentioned on the first page of this topic – Doctor M did a Restored Theatrical Version of The Little Mermaid by pairing the video from the 2006 DVD with the audio from the 1999 DVD. He was that impressed with what Disney did to the audio with the 2006 two-disc release that he decided to remake their disc as something better.

As someone who adores The Little Mermaid, but whose ears aren’t near what they could be, I’m curious what the audiophiles of OT think of the soundtracks on the Blu-ray and 4K discs that followed in 2013 and 2019, and how they compare to the DVDs. I’ve trolled this thread for quite a few years, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the question raised.

If it has then, of course, my apologies.

I also restored the censored animation of the minister’s knee.

Dr. M

Author
Time

That IS true. Amazing the level of outrage you can get at a knee beneath a cassock.

I seem to recall that the uncensored footage was on one of the supplementary materials – but rotated slightly?

I was (and am) thankful for both the restored sound and visual. Your disc sits in the shelf alongside the other four Mermaid DVDs (1999, 2006, TLM II, and the prequel).

“Before the Dark Times. Before the Prequels.”

Author
Time

Is there a source for the pre restoration Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?

I’ve searched all the video releases and no such VHS or Laserdisc exists.

If there was ever a bootleg i cannot seem to discover it. I’ve looked at foreign releases.

Author
Time

AFAIK, there is not. I’ve been hoping someone would have a suggestion, but Disney messed that film up long ago and shows no signs of walking it back.

Dr. M

Author
Time

JadedSkywalker said:

Is there a source for the pre restoration Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?

I’ve searched all the video releases and no such VHS or Laserdisc exists.

If there was ever a bootleg i cannot seem to discover it. I’ve looked at foreign releases.

There is what appears to be a 35mm sourced bootleg VHS released in Italy:

https://youtu.be/8_UNBmp8akQ

I’ve thought about buying one myself as they can be found on ebay but I don’t have pal equipment.

Author
Time

Have the following rips:

Alice In Wonderland 1986 CLV
Aladdin CAV
Aladdin King of Thieves
Aladdin Return of Jafar
Bambi 1990 CLV
Beauty and the Beast CAV
Beauty and the Beast Workprint CAV
Cinderella CAV Boxset
Dumbo 1982 CLV
Hercules CAV
Lady and the Tramp THX CAV
Oliver and Company CAV
Peter Pan 1990 CAV
Pinocchio 1987 CAV
Robinhood 1990 CLV
Sleeping Beauty 1997 CAV
Snow White 1994 CAV
Great Mouse Detective CAV
The Huncback CAV Box Set
The Junglebook 30th Anniversary CLV
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh 1996 CLV
The Rescuers CAV
The Rescuers Down Under CAV
Sword in the Stone Masterpiece CAV
The Three Caballeros Masterpiece CAV
Toy Story Widescreen CLV

Some thoughts:

-The Sleeping Beauty and Bambi Blurays look better than the LDs
-The CAPs films look so much different on LD than Bluray in terms of colors and shading, I much prefer the LD look
-The Junglebook and Sword In The Stone are some of the worst looking Blurays, the LDs are quite a revelation
-Mary Poppins (Archive Collection) LD looks a million times better than the Bluray, it’s amazing how badly botched that Bluray is (the Bluray is dark and overly contrasty at the same time, and the scenes that use projection look way more fake due to this)
-1987 Pinocchio CAV is really bad looking and washed out, will have to capture the CAV Box Set instead

Author
Time

The important thing about the CAPS films is that some early home video releases were struck from a film print.

Back in the early technicolor days, when they were doing test prints to get their colors to look right, which was known to be different from the actual paint colors, that’s preferred.

I don’t think the same is true of the digitally sourced animation. In those cases a raw digital transfer is probably expected to be more accurate (if less warm).

Good info there, nesboy43.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Sword In The Stone has an awesome open matte hd streaming rip with no DNR.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Doctor M said:

The important thing about the CAPS films is that some early home video releases were struck from a film print.

Back in the early technicolor days, when they were doing test prints to get their colors to look right, which was known to be different from the actual paint colors, that’s preferred.

I don’t think the same is true of the digitally sourced animation. In those cases a raw digital transfer is probably expected to be more accurate (if less warm).

Good info there, nesboy43.

Thanks for the information. I think the colors of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, and Aladdin look much nicer on the 35mm sourced scans. I’m not sure about artist intent, but for me personally it’s preferred.

For whatever reason the film print makes the movies seem more natural to me than a direct digital transfer. I feel the same way about the Toy Story LD, which looks more real and less like a computer game.

Do we know when Caps films went from being 35mm to digital for home video? I can’t imagine Tarzan is 35mm sourced.

People are free to PM me if they are interested in these.

Author
Time

Anyone know if Disney removed the preacher’s knee on the UHD disc of Little Mermaid as well?
I realize I have done zero research regarding any 4k releases.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Doctor M:

The bishop’s knee is / was only visible for a few seconds for his line “Dearly beloved”, right? That’s why you were able to fix it for your DVD release?

I can unhappily report that he is quite kneeless. But it was a great excuse to watch a few minutes of the film in 4K before bed.

“Before the Dark Times. Before the Prequels.”

Author
Time

@MattMahdi - Thanks for that.

I know a lot of releases tend to have changes or edits reversed with newer releases because they re-strike prints and can’t be bothered to spend the money to repeat the edit.

I fear Disney may have actually altered the movie in CAPS, making the change permanent. Although, Little Mermaid wasn’t entirely CAPS iirc, so maybe there is hope for it yet.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Earlier it felt like too much work to go in the next room to grab a DVD just to check the same scene. (Still does, actually: who wants to watch a DVD in an age of HD and above?)

But I just realized that I still have a copy of your project on my hard drive, and spinning that up in VLC took no time at all.

So now I’m certain instead of merely believing that I’m right.

The knee that you worked so hard to restore is again absent in 4K.

“Before the Dark Times. Before the Prequels.”

Author
Time

Doctor M said:

@MattMahdi - Thanks for that.

I fear Disney may have actually altered the movie in CAPS, making the change permanent. Although, Little Mermaid wasn’t entirely CAPS iirc, so maybe there is hope for it yet.

I thought the only CAPS shot in TLM is the final moments with the rainbow. The rest of the movie, I believe, was ATP just like all the other 80’s Disney films.

I thought you guys might enjoy my find: 2005 Platinum Edition still sealed. Almost had a heart attack when I pulled it off the shelf.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hi, I would like to know what home media release of dumbo is the most accurate to the original. Thank you in advance.

Author
Time

Darth telly said:

Hi, I would like to know what home media release of dumbo is the most accurate to the original. Thank you in advance.

Definitely not the blu-ray. The farther you go back is probably better. Dumbo has a bunch of VHS releases that are probably untouched in terms of remastering.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Darth telly said:

Hi, I would like to know what home media release of dumbo is the most accurate to the original. Thank you in advance.

Actually, I’ve been wondering that myself. I made a restoration comparison video of the entire movie, featuring all six home video masters. If anyone is interested in seeing it, please send me a PM. I also made comparison videos of Alice, Little Mermaid, and Lion King 😃

Author
Time

For anyone who’s interested, here are a few screencaps of the Dumbo video I made:


Author
Time

Has anyone compared the Disney+ version of Mary Poppins? A friend said it looked much better than the BR/DVD versions. I was looking around to see if it had been captured but can’t find anything. It’s one of my favorites and I’ve picked up every version since the first DVD and none of them seem right to me, though the original DVD is probably the closest.

Anyways, just curious if anyone here has checked it out on Disney+.

Author
Time

I’m fairly certain Mary Poppins on Disney+ is the same HD master from 2013 (as used on the Blu-ray), but with a lower bitrate.

Author
Time

Ahh OK. Was wondering about it. So is there any consensus on the “best” version out there? I’ve seen a 720p rip with the Cinemagic logo floating around. I really wish Disney had a different approach to their classics. I’ve owned every DVD/BR and at least last time I looked, I think the original DVD was “best.”

Author
Time

GoboFraggle1983 said:

Actually, I’ve been wondering that myself. I made a restoration comparison video of the entire movie, featuring all six home video masters. If anyone is interested in seeing it, please send me a PM. I also made comparison videos of Alice, Little Mermaid, and Lion King 😃

Send them all to me, please and thank you.