Sign In

Info: Films re-released with alterations — Page 9

Author
Time

CourtlyHades296 said:

A Serbian Film - the initial US Blu-Ray is missing a minute of footage, which was restored for the recent Unearthed Films release

Added!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The UK theatrical cut and all pre-2012 UK video releases have altered sound effects, and trim the human sacrifice scene heavily.

Author
Time

CourtlyHades296 said:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The UK theatrical cut and all pre-2012 UK video releases have altered sound effects, and trim the human sacrifice scene heavily.

Done!

Author
Time

Do these alterations make any of you mad? LOL

The Tech Guy?

PS.
STOP CHANGING MOVIES!

Author
Time

Can you possibly fix the one for Minority Report?

It is true that the BD has a different color timing than the DVD, but it’s far more likely that the BD is closer to theatrically accurate because its look is very consistent with Spielberg’s 2000s movies (ex. War of the Worlds) and the DVD looks much more teal than it needs to be

Raccoons

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I have yet another Back to the Future change

In part 2 the black screen that originally accompanied the scene when Marty got knocked out, on all post-2010 home video releases (which sadly means the 4K release too) it was shortened, it originally played for a good 5 seconds and the tail end of the music that plays during the next scene has been chopped off too as a direct result
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RyJSwxqiJvw

This is so bizarre considering it was intact on the 2001 DVD

Also on the 2010 blu-ray of the first, the credits were squished by 25% due to a mastering error, this was not an issue on the earlier DVD releases and fortunately was fixed on the 4K master and subsequent blu-ray

Raccoons

Author
Time

SpacemanDoug said:

Can you possibly fix the one for Minority Report?

It is true that the BD has a different color timing than the DVD, but it’s far more likely that the BD is closer to theatrically accurate because its look is very consistent with Spielberg’s 2000s movies (ex. War of the Worlds) and the DVD looks much more teal than it needs to be

Agreed. Would be properly compared to a theatrical print compared what was used for DVD. Which DVDs should never be used for color comparisons, same regarding LaserDisc, because of lacking color gamut compared to a film print or digital intermediate.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It Follows was changed from theatrical run to home video release. In theaters, the music was dynamic and overpowered any background sound effects. On all home video versions (in my research) the music has been pushed to the background while sound effects brought up.

I’m not imagining this. Others have noticed it as well. And I have audio recordings (proof) of several of the eight times I saw it in theaters.

I wish they’d just release the original theatrical version.

Despite owning a blu-ray copy, I refuse to watch it because this butchering of the sound has tainted it for me.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Jaws (1975)'s 5.1 mix heard on all streaming versions uses a different recording of Man Against Beast from the one in the theatrical mono.

Author
Time

The Decimator said:

The Muppets came to Disney+ recently, and, wouldn’t you know it, they’ve been edited to hell and back! Not only is The Muppet Show edited to remove “copyright infringing” material, but there are two episodes missing entirely. Namely, the Brooke Shields one, and the one hosted by Chris Langham (for those of you that don’t live in Britain, he was a comedian who got arrested for looking up child porn on his computer).

As for their theatrical releases, they made it through mostly intact. The only exception is The Muppet Christmas Carol, probably one of the best adaptations of the story. What’s so offensive about this timeless classic? Well, they removed the character of Bobby Benson’s trademark cigarette in a scene that only lasts for about two seconds. Keep in mind that this scene appears intact on Blu-Ray releases. Also note that this character’s appearances in the TV show have not been edited at all, so why they erased it in this one scene baffles me.

I have been made aware of another egregious edit to The Muppet Christmas Carol. In several scenes, the characters’ arm rods have been digitally erased: https://mobile.twitter.com/sokdrawer/status/1468423317371633666

Author
Time

CourtlyHades296 said:

Jaws (1975)'s 5.1 mix heard on all streaming versions uses a different recording of Man Against Beast from the one in the theatrical mono.

That would be more a subject for this thread…

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Info-Mono-soundtracks-that-were-butchered-with-5-1-remixes-in-later-releases/id/64110

…but yes you are correct. There was apparently tape damage to the master of the original take so when the film was remixed in 2000 an alternate take was used. The original take was restored for the 2015 Intrada CD however. A shame Universal didn’t bother to restore it to the film for the UHD release last year.

Author
Time

not a digital alteration - but a massive change to the movie in “When Harry met Sally” when released for DVD:

they had to replace music and songs for licensing reasons - which changes the mood of the pivotal end scenes…

also the movie cuts to black for the end credits (instead of running the credits over the actors chatting away - they also cut out of the chatting pretty harshly and much earlier)

The only mention of this I could find anywhere:
https://www.npr.org/2012/01/03/144624329/the-big-bad-swap-the-problem-with-replaced-music

Author
Time
 (Edited)

schnupp123 said:

not a digital alteration - but a massive change to the movie in “When Harry met Sally” when released for DVD:

they had to replace music and songs for licensing reasons - which changes the mood of the pivotal end scenes…

also the movie cuts to black for the end credits (instead of running the credits over the actors chatting away - they also cut out of the chatting pretty harshly and much earlier)

The only mention of this I could find anywhere:
https://www.npr.org/2012/01/03/144624329/the-big-bad-swap-the-problem-with-replaced-music

ah so I did some digging and it appears you misread, all physical home video versions are intact music wise (otherwise it would’ve been reported years ago most likely), it’s the digital versions that have the changed songs

which is still a shame either way

Raccoons

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SpacemanDoug said:

schnupp123 said:

not a digital alteration - but a massive change to the movie in “When Harry met Sally” when released for DVD:

they had to replace music and songs for licensing reasons - which changes the mood of the pivotal end scenes…

also the movie cuts to black for the end credits (instead of running the credits over the actors chatting away - they also cut out of the chatting pretty harshly and much earlier)

The only mention of this I could find anywhere:
https://www.npr.org/2012/01/03/144624329/the-big-bad-swap-the-problem-with-replaced-music

ah so I did some digging and it appears you misread, all physical home video versions are intact music wise (otherwise it would’ve been reported years ago most likely), it’s the digital versions that have the changed songs

which is still a shame either way

I did some searching myself a while ago (since my copy of the movie is pretty old and terrible) and at least the 2001 and 2007 DVD releases are the new (crippled) versions 😦

Our public library has both DVD releases - so I could test-watch either. Both of them were the changed movie… 😕

Not sure though if there are earlier DVD releases (or releases in different countries) - or whether the BluRay releases are the original version…?

Would love to find a better copy of the original version (my copy is cropped to 4:3 and looks like it was copied to DVD straight from some Beta master tape 😄 )

(it’s easy to check which version is which: the original has the end credits running as a transparency over the actors talking - the new version cuts to black before the end credits start)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

My guess is the BD has the music

how do you know your version isn’t altered though and the DVDs represent the original?

Raccoons

Author
Time

Yeah, you ain’t messin with the babysitter now. 😎

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m porting this over from The “Is it in HD somewhere because I can’t find it” thread as it is relevant to this;

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Is-it-in-HD-somewhere-because-I-cant-find-it-thread/id/49901/page/4

Seeing as it’s Christmas;

Raymond Briggs’ “The Snowman” (1982) with original intro, 4:3 aspect ratio and instrumental “Walking in the Air”.

The Blu Ray, which is still great quality, is cropped to 16:9 and lacks any of the three intros as part of the main feature. It does however include all 3 intros by Raymond Briggs, David Bowie and Mel Smith’s Father Christmas as a bonus feature in 1080i 4:3. (Although the Mel Smith Father Christmas intro is not the open matte 4:3 intro, it takes the cropped 16:9 version and stretches it vertically to 4:3)

The original Briggs intro version has never been release in PAL on DVD or VHS, let alone Blu Ray, in the UK. It was only ever released in the US on DVD (NTSC) in 1998 (along with the William Dennis Hunt re-voiced/edited “Father Christmas”) and was repeated on Channel 4 in 1991 (first time I saw the film) and again in 1992.

The instrumental “Walking in the Air” was soon replaced with a vocal version by St Paul’s Cathedral choirboy Peter Auty. This version is most commonly used in any version you watch (Brigg’s/Bowie/Smith Intro version) and is the version included on the 1998 R1 NTSC DVD. The Howard Blake score is not aligned the same way in later revised versions compared to the original, just to add to the headache.

An Australian VHS recording of the original broadcast version has been uploaded here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgcZAv4HAHM

Original Raymond Briggs Intro repeat broadcast from 1992;
https://tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=112976
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNTMLM3yu4s

Apart from that, nearly every year between 1983 and 2002 it’s been the Bowie version. Then there was the 2002 16:9 version with the Mel Smith Father Christmas intro, but since Smiths passing in 2013, Channel 4 have reverted back to airing the 4:3 Bowie version. I would love to have a decent quality original broadcast version in PAL 4:3 with original intro and soundtrack either in HD or SD. There’s always a chance the original will be shown again or maybe even a 40th Anniversary 4K release in 2022.

So to sum up;
1982 - Original broadcast with Raymond Briggs introduction and instrumental “Walking in the Air”. (Never been released on home video)
1982(?) - Original Raymond Briggs introduction with Peter Auty vocal version “Walking in the Air” replacing instrumental. Blake’s score rearranged slightly in parts. (Available on 1998 NTSC R1 DVD)
1983 - David Bowie introduction replacing Briggs’ introduction. Very washed-out transfer and image cropped on both sides. End credits also slightly redone/repaced. (Available on 2000 PAL R2 DVD, double feature with “Father Christmas”)
2002 - “Special Edition” with Mel Smith’s Father Christmas introduction, cropped to 16:9 on UK DVD and broadcasts. Dutch DVD “De Sneeuwman” is 4:3 open matte but no English audio. End credits reanimated again. (Available on 2002 PAL R2 DVD)
2012 - 30th Anniversary Edition with no introductions on main feature (which is 16:9), though all 3 are included are extras and in 1080i50 (4:3). (Available on 2012 Blu Ray, R2 DVD either as stand-alone or compilation with “The Snowman and Snowdog”, or “TSM&SD” and “Father Christmas”)

Author
Time

Though still in cinemas, Spider-Man: No Way Home has received some vfx updates.

Working on many edits, may take many years to complete…

Also known as Mr. Liquid Jungle.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

On the old BD of Airplane!, there was a boom mic visible in two shots in the mirror during the scene whenever Kramer’s wife is talking to Paul in Kramer’s house that was (poorly) digitally removed, however oddly enough on the new 4K remastered BD, the boom mic was restored along with a small portion of the mirror frame that was accidentally erased on the old master as a result of the sloppy removal

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=83&y=53&d1=14736&d2=14733&s1=152852&s2=152814&l=0&i=12&go=1

but yet bizarrely enough on the same 4K master, the wires used to throw around the beating heart in a scene towards the beginning of the movie were digitally removed that were visible on the old master

Raccoons

Author
Time

The Nightmare Before Christmas changed the original Touchstone logo to the modern Disney logo for the 3D release. The opening credits were also changed to reflect this.

Project creator and film enthusiast.

Author
Time

paja said:

Though still in cinemas, Spider-Man: No Way Home has received some vfx updates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3P0_echggM
Seems like minor changes. Weird they felt it was important enough to go through the effort of doing so.

I almost wonder if it’s just a way to convince people to go see it again and pump up the box office numbers.