Sign In

Info: 1997 SE DV Broadcast Info & Discussion — Page 4

Author
Time

Just an update on things, I have ANH and ESB just about ready to encode(NTSC only versions), I am waiting on msycamores subs for ANH, and I also have the LD DD 5.1(Thanks DE) rips sync'd up for ANH & ESB.

max_rebo mentioned a few(17 I believe) bad frames in ESB, I did not see them, does anyone here know which ones he is talking about?

1 more thing, I did not sync up the '97 LD PCM audio for a DD 2.0 option, is this necessary? or is the LD DD 5.1 enough?

 

Author
Time

I'd say the 5.1 is enough.  Then again, I have no idea if there are any differences in content between the 2.0 and 5.1 mixes.  (I'd assume there aren't any.)

Author
Time

Yes I am sure they are the same, but didn't know if anyone was anal about preserving everything on 1 DVD, plus I might add a little more, not sure yet, have to dig through my LD caps.

Author
Time

*drools*

I eagerly await this release more than any of your other work dj, since the 1997 SE is not available in many forms other than LD or VHS.

You can bet when it's done and released, this will be popular amongst my family since they too are fond of the 1997 SE versions too. ;-)

Author
Time

I think the Dolby Stereo is what theaters that did not have 5.1 would have had when the special editions were released, aka the optical analog track.

 

I am not sure but i think the 5.1 dolby, and dts were pretty much identical except the dts had a better frequency response and was 6 track on the 70mm prints.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Just a small update, I have ANH SE done and ESB SE will be done today, I am going to burn and watch them and make sure there are no issues, I was going to add some stuff to these but have changed my mind, I have to many projects going at once and am starting to get really Star Wars burned out, so they will be movie only DVD's with the LD DD 5.1 audio.

Oh and 1 more thing, msycamore has graciously put some his time to this project as well, he is doing all the sub work for me again, Thanks msycamore.

Author
Time

dark_jedi said:

Just a small update, I have ANH SE done and ESB SE will be done today, I am going to burn and watch them and make sure there are no issues, I was going to add some stuff to these but have changed my mind, I have to many projects going at once and am starting to get really Star Wars burned out, so they will be movie only DVD's with the LD DD 5.1 audio.

Oh and 1 more thing, msycamore has graciously put some his time to this project as well, he is doing all the sub work for me again, Thanks msycamore.

Looking forward to these.  The last time i saw these versions in anamorphic and multi channel audio was in 1997.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

captainsolo said:

Great news. Hard to believe it's been 13 years since these were presented correctly.

Yes, it's great of dark_jedi to make these versions available in better quality, but don't get your hopes up too high, there's still problems with these transfers but I'm looking forward to finally see this in NTSC with the real 5.1 audio mix and to have the squished image corrected. So for that, thank you dark_jedi! I must also tell you that I wasn't able to find the correct font for the hard-coded subs. So, I went with the same one I used on d_j new Gout version. But I tried to make them as good as I possibly could.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I just want to echo what msycamore said, these do have some minor issues as well, I am not going through these frame by frame, I am also NOT color correcting these, the '97 has its own look and feel, it is NOT supposed to look like the GOUT or the '04's, it is its own thing, like they say, it is what it is, but these do look way better than my LD captures would have looked, hands down.

I should have ANH and ESB done soon then onto Jedi, as I said before they are movie only DVD's with the LD 5.1 audio fully sync'd up.

Author
Time

 

That looks great, d_j! I can't wait for this. Like a lot of people, '97 SE holds a special place in my heart (first time I saw SW in theaters). 

 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thanks for posting, the subs do look ok I guess, I was a little worried there. I hadn't actually seen them in motion yet. ;) The image look great unsquished and the audio is in perfect sync, good job!

Is it just me or does the line "every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you" look a little off in the timing? I don't know, maybe I'm just used to how it is in the original cut. I did use the LD timings though... oh well, done is done I guess.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

msycamore said:

Thanks for posting, the subs do look ok I guess, I was a little worried there. I hadn't actually seen them in motion yet. ;) The image look great unsquished and the audio is in perfect sync, good job!

Is it just me or does the line "every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you" look a little off in the timing? I don't know, maybe I'm just used to how it is in the original cut. I did use the LD timings though... oh well, done is done I guess.

Well if you are going to do some tweaking better do it now, it is going to be finalized soon and I won't go back.

Author
Time

I'm on it d_j, I'll PM you soon...

Thanks ABC, I think one of them should fit me. ;)

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

It was "Jabba's put a price on your head so large..." that was off in the timing, I've sent the corrected script, d_j.

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

Still watch your King Diamond videos once in while. Great fun.
Didn't you have KD avatar once upon a time?

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time

Yes I had King Diamond at one time, I figure it is time to get rid of the Mass Effect 2 avatar now.

ABC, that is some funny shit there, LOL.

Author
Time

Darth Mallwalker said:

Still watch your King Diamond videos once in while. Great fun.
Didn't you have KD avatar once upon a time?

If it's me you're talking to, no. This is my first avatar ever, served by ABC on a silver plate, what do you think ABC? does it fit my personality. ;)

 

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

... T O T A L L Y ... !!!

As weird as your name, or as someone being able to be targeted by fire storm !