This is a series of edits, currently including all 7 available Episodes and Rogue One, with a tentative cutlist for Episode 8. Episode 9 will also be edited if necessary. The project is still a work in progress, but I wanted to get the edits out as they are and see what you all think of them. There will likely be some errors scattered throughout, but hopefully you can get a feel for the overall concept of this variation on the Saga.
My technical expertise is quite limited (basically to what I’ve learnt working through this project), so any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.
With respect to the PT - where so much work has already been done - I have taken a similar approach to Octorox; my edits are as much hybrids of previous edits as they are my own work, with sequences, shots, or audio often sourced from other edits. Though this is becoming increasingly true for my other edits as well.
Cuts were made according to several practical principles:
• To minimize the unnecessary repetition of dialogue and events
• To remove particular lines where they obscure the dialogue or function of the scene as a whole
• To remove unnecessary action
• Where possible, to remove dialogue from a shot entirely so that only the image and music/foley remain
• To maintain the episodic nature of the films, and their relation as parts to the saga as a whole
Cuts were also made according to (what was worked out through this project as) the concept of Star Wars. At times it was necessary to work out this concept through writing out more theoretical notes (https://docs.google.com/document/d/16HIYjQ_R59mrCh0ZpugrAoI0dCAGdtQ9TiJPk_Kz_o8/edit?usp=sharing).
Though I’ve attempted to cut the films into a more cohesive saga, if you’re interested in one or two of the edits in particular there’s no reason why they can’t be watched in isolation, only the new ep5 and ep6 title crawls won’t make sense if watched this way.
• All films have new episode titles and title crawls
• Various minor scene and dialogue trims have been made throughout
• Various deleted scenes have been added (despite the OT deleted scenes being in poor condition, and the timestamp on part of the TFA deleted scene)
• Various cuts have been made throughout to maintain continuity, for example Padme doesn’t die in ep3, some dialogue cuts to Obi Wan and R2’s reunion in ep4, Vader’s reference to Obi-Wan rather than Padme in ep6 with respect to ep3, and all lines in ep7 stating that the stormtroopers are no longer clones have been removed
• In the PT the Illuminati subplot has been removed: the Trade Federation, Count Dooku, and the Separatists are not depicted as being allied with Darth Sidious (except where Dooku reveals that Nute Gunray was betrayed by Sidious). Darth Sidious does not appear until he is confronted by Mace Windu. The Separatists then perform the function in the PT that the Rebellion provides for the OT, and the Resistance for the ST
• In TPM all of Sidious’ scenes have been removed
• In AotC the forbidden love subplot has been removed and the detective subplot trimmed, as in the Attack of the Phantom edit
• In RotS the opening sequence has been heavily trimmed, including the buzz droids, elevator sequence, and crash landing; the duel between Obi-Wan and Grievous has also been shortened, from when the Republic armada arrives
• Rogue One has been given a title crawl, and various wipe transitions have been added
• For the OT Harmy’s Despecialised editions have been used as the primary source. The only SE shots used are the exterior shot of the rebel hangar on Yavin IV in ANH, some shots in Jabba’s palace and to remove Anakins eyebrows in RotJ
• In the OT the incest subplot has been removed: Luke no longer refers to Leia’s hologram as beautiful, Han doesn’t taunt Luke about being interested in Leia, Luke and Leia don’t kiss, and Han isn’t jealous of Luke in RotJ
• In the OT there is only one Death Star: it is not destroyed in ANH (in ANH the final battle has been trimmed and cut into the earlier escape from the Death Star sequence so that it is not destroyed here, though the sequence needs work it should give an idea of how it will play out), the new RotJ crawl attempts to justify its change in appearance, and the rebel briefing scene in RotJ has been trimmed accordingly
• For TFA, my edit is in line with the Restructured edit curated by Hal9000, and is partially sourced from that edit.
• In TFA R2 does not have the rest of the map; Rey uses the force to locate Luke
I only have a partial cutlist at the moment, detailing the most significant changes (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gdMdFvH6bLu-dVpSz_3RNNlh01LmNxcsAyrfQq-qOpk/edit?usp=sharing), and have also uploaded some demo scenes (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6VlVFdyzUPneEVVQlYwVk1jM2s?usp=sharing).
Titles and running times:
• Episode I - VEIL OF DARKNESS (at 94 minutes with 42 minutes cut, theatrical at 136 minutes)
• Episode II - A SEPARATIST THREAT (at 90 minutes with 52 minutes cut, theatrical at 142 minutes)
• Episode III - TWILIGHT OF THE REPUBLIC (at 99 minutes with 41 minutes cut, theatrical at 140 minutes)
• DOMINION OF THE SITH (Rogue One) (at 131 minutes with 3 minutes cut, theatrical at 134 minutes)
• Episode IV - A HIDDEN FORTRESS (at 105 minutes with 17 minutes cut, theatrical at 122 minutes)
• Episode V - THE FORCE UNKNOWN (at 121 minutes with 5 minutes cut, theatrical at 126 minutes)
• Episode VI - A NEW DAWN (at 111 minutes with 22 minutes cut, theatrical at 133 minutes)
• Episode VII - FATE OF THE REBELLION (at 126 minutes with 12 minutes cut, theatrical at 138 minutes)
• Episode VII - ODYSSEY OF DARKNESS?
• Episode IX - TRIUMPH OF THE FORCE?
• Adywan’s Episode IV - A New Hope: Revisited, and Episode V - Empire Strikes Back: Revisited
• Digmodification’s Rise of the Rebellion, and Episode VII - Heir to the Force
• Hal 9000’s Episode I - Cloak of Deception, Episode II - The Approaching Storm, Episode III - Labyrinth of Evil, and Episode VII - The Force Awakens: Restructured
• Harmy’s Despecialized Editions for the OT
• Jackpumpkinhead’s Custom Crawl Creator
• L8wrtr’s Episode I - Shadow of the Sith, Episode II - The Republic Divided, and Episode III - Dawn of the Empire
• NeverarGreat’s Episode VIII - The Starlight Project (forthcoming)
• Octorox’s Episode I - The Phantom Menace - Faster, More Intense!, and Episode II - Attack of the Clones, Sanded Down
• Phantom Editor’s Episode I - The Phantom Edit, and Episode II - Attack of the Phantom
• Schorman’s HDTV Star Wars Saga Preservation for the PT
• Seciors’ Episode I - Return of the Sith, and Episode II - Army of the Republic
• Swagbeditor’s Episodes I, II, III - A Galaxy Betrayed
More specific references have been noted in the cutlist.
There are some further possibilities I’d like to pursue, but lack either the skill or time to follow up on. I may get to some of these tasks later on, though if anyone is interested in assisting or giving advice with these it would be much appreciated:
• Possibly redo the custom crawls in After Effects, mostly to try and fix letter spacing as I couldn’t figure out how to do it by line in Blender
• Remove slugs from single shot in ep2 assassination scene
• Remove ignited lightsabers from the background of a single shot in the ep2 arena battle, as in the Attack of the Phantom edit
• Colour some PT lightsabers yellow, as a reference to Knights of the Old Republic: Mace Windu, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and a few other background Jedi in the ep2 arena battle
• Colour youngling lightsabers white in ep2
• Dub General Grievous; I’ve written out new lines, but am unsure if I’ll be able to do this competently
• Remove planet in new Rogue One title crawl
• Remove Rogue One planet titles (preferably not by cropping)
• Add intercom voiceover (as in Rogue One) where Red and Gold squadrons depart Yavin IV for the Death Star in ep4
• Remove Yavin from the background of shots where Red and Gold squadrons approach the Death Star in ep4
• Remove OT deleted scene image noise/damage
• Colour C-3PO silver in early shots of the ep6 Tatooine sequence as, according to the restructure, he shouldn’t have arrived at Jabba’s palace yet
• Remove ST deleted scene timestamps