Sign In

If George Had Made The Sequel Trilogy... — Page 13

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Harrison didn’t have any standout moments in terms of acting in ROTJ. Even the “worst” acting in TFA is on par with his best in ROTJ. Plus his acting in his scenes with Leia and his scene with Ben is perhaps the strongest we’ve seen Harrison in a Star Wars film

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

Harrison didn’t have any standout moments in terms of acting in ROTJ. Even the “worst” acting in TFA is on par with his best in ROTJ. Plus his acting in his scenes with Leia and his scene with Ben is perhaps the strongest we’ve seen Harrison in a Star Wars film

Agreed.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

Harrison didn’t have any standout moments in terms of acting in ROTJ. Even the “worst” acting in TFA is on par with his best in ROTJ. Plus his acting in his scenes with Leia and his scene with Ben is perhaps the strongest we’ve seen Harrison in a Star Wars film

Pretty much sums it up.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I watched TFA again yesterday for the first time since the immediate post-BD release “I’M GOING TO WATCH THIS EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK” binge, and I’m now totally firm in my belief that the whole OT pastiche thing that’s getting so much flak was the right way to go. It works so insanely well as a relaunch for the brand while still fitting into the existing saga rather than being a true reboot. To restate what myself and a thousand others have said countless times before, it’s going to be a problem if the entire sequel trilogy is like this, but for the first movie back after a long gap, a cliff notes version of why Star Wars is great was really the perfect way to get new people interested in Star Wars. All of this pissing and moaning about originality seems to miss or ignore the reality of where the franchise was in 2012 when Disney bought it, which was that the prequels were a bummer and no one apart from the true believers really gave a shit anymore. TFA was incredibly warm and welcoming and inclusive, and I think that trumps originality given the circumstances.

Lord Haseo said:

Harrison didn’t have any standout moments in terms of acting in ROTJ. Even the “worst” acting in TFA is on par with his best in ROTJ. Plus his acting in his scenes with Leia and his scene with Ben is perhaps the strongest we’ve seen Harrison in a Star Wars film

Also, this was well-stated.

Author
Time

imperialscum said:

lovelikewinter said:

Lucas would never have collaborated like JJ did. So no Kasden. He couldn’t have gotten the performance out of Harrison Ford that JJ did.

What performance? Harrison was rather at his average in TFA. Even in ROTJ, when he obviously didn’t want to try too hard, he seems amazing compared to TFA.

I found Harrison Ford to have put in a better performance in TFA than he has done in a long time, certainly better than Crystal Skull. It was Han Solo, not grumbly old Ford like so many of his recent performances.

Lucas might have convinced him to come back via the method of “truckload of money”, but Harrison would have half-assed it. Of course Lucas would have half-assed it as well so it would be consistent.

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

joefavs said:

I watched TFA again yesterday for the first time since the immediate post-BD release “I’M GOING TO WATCH THIS EVERY DAY FOR A WEEK” binge, and I’m now totally firm in my belief that the whole OT pastiche thing that’s getting so much flak was the right way to go. It works so insanely well as a relaunch for the brand while still fitting into the existing saga rather than being a true reboot. To restate what myself and a thousand others have said countless times before, it’s going to be a problem if the entire sequel trilogy is like this, but for the first movie back after a long gap, a cliff notes version of why Star Wars is great was really the perfect way to get new people interested in Star Wars. All of this pissing and moaning about originality seems to miss or ignore the reality of where the franchise was in 2012 when Disney bought it, which was that the prequels were a bummer and no one apart from the true believers really gave a shit anymore. TFA was incredibly warm and welcoming and inclusive, and I think that trumps originality given the circumstances.

This is about how I feel as well.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

lovelikewinter said:

Lucas might have convinced him to come back via the method of “truckload of money”, but Harrison would have half-assed it. Of course Lucas would have half-assed it as well so it would be consistent.

But together they’d have had one whole ass!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

lovelikewinter said:

imperialscum said:

lovelikewinter said:

Lucas would never have collaborated like JJ did. So no Kasden. He couldn’t have gotten the performance out of Harrison Ford that JJ did.

What performance? Harrison was rather at his average in TFA. Even in ROTJ, when he obviously didn’t want to try too hard, he seems amazing compared to TFA.

I found Harrison Ford to have put in a better performance in TFA than he has done in a long time, certainly better than Crystal Skull. It was Han Solo, not grumbly old Ford like so many of his recent performances.

Lucas might have convinced him to come back via the method of “truckload of money”, but Harrison would have half-assed it. Of course Lucas would have half-assed it as well so it would be consistent.

I remember reading back in 2007 that George had offered Harrison close to $40,000,000 to do Episode VII. Harrison’s response was something like, ‘There’s no way in hell I’m going to let you put me back in that cockpit with Chewbacca again!’ Harrison was excited to do TFA because he thought the script was great and Disney hired the right people to do the movie, and it showed in his performance.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Imperial Slug said:

[…] Harrison was excited to do TFA because he thought the script was great and Disney hired the right people to do the movie […]

For all we know, he might’ve been especially excited because of their decision to finally put his charcter to “rest” 😄

The Original Trilogy’s Timeline Reconstruction: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Implied-starting-date-of-the-Empire-from-OT-dialogue/post/786201/#TopicPost786201