Sign In

If George Had Made The Sequel Trilogy... — Page 11

Author
Time

I agree Anakin’s character should’ve been written better, especially in AOTC. He didn’t have to be like Luke, and him being conflicted and loosing his control was kind of necessary to explain why he did turn evil in the end, but as a more compelling good character, he could’ve been a definitely better main character and his mirroring would’ve worked better as well.

The Original Trilogy’s Timeline Reconstruction: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Implied-starting-date-of-the-Empire-from-OT-dialogue/post/786201/#TopicPost786201

Author
Time

Frank your Majesty said:

Vader’s robotic hand is just a visual reference to show the similarities with Luke. Showing how he got a robotic hand is absolutely pointless, especially since he fell into a volcano and half his body was replaced with robotic parts. For Jedi, having this reference makes sense, because Vader is a very different character from Luke, so visual similarities are the only thing the audience can connect to in the short time of this scene. Similarities between Anakin and Luke in the PT should have been handled by showing how their characters are alike, not by having the same robotic hand. However, the PT failed to establish a copelling character, so we constantly need to be reminded how Anakin resembles Luke through his look and teh situations he’s in.
I think it would have even been a better idea to have Luke’s and Anakins characters be even more alike and instead of showing how differently they react in the same situation, let basically the same guy go through very different situations to show that even a good person can turn evil. Like it is now, you have Luke in Situation A acting good and then you see how Anakin was making a bad decision in a similar situation. This only shows how different the two are, which is the opposite of what Jedi was aiming to do.

Sounds like you’re just not a true Wtar Sars fan

The Person in Question

Author
Time

I AM A TRUE WTAR SARS FAN

I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS BUT IM SURE IM THE BEST AT IT

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

I AM A TRUE WTAR SARS FAN

I DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT IS BUT IM SURE IM THE BEST AT IT

Wtar Sars is the fake version of Star Wars that people at TFN worship. Are you a member of TFN?

The Person in Question

Author
Time
 (Edited)

John Doom said:
Poe giving the data to bb8 and being captured, as well as Rey being brought to SKB and being interrogated while the other main characters get into the prison to save her, they both clearly borrow from Leia in ANH, that was my point. Their scenes (visual references aside) play differently, yet share the same plot points, so it’s still “borrowing” as J.J. said.

Well unless SW was the first movie to have a character be captured only to be rescued by the other characters I wouldn’t really call it mirroring at all 😄

It’s a very basic plot point that existed long before STAR WARS even came out. And not only in film but in books as well.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Lord Haseo said:

John Doom said:
Poe giving the data to bb8 and being captured, as well as Rey being brought to SKB and being interrogated while the other main characters get into the prison to save her, they both clearly borrow from Leia in ANH, that was my point. Their scenes (visual references aside) play differently, yet share the same plot points, so it’s still “borrowing” as J.J. said.

Well unless SW was the first movie to have a character be captured only to be rescued by the other characters I wouldn’t really call it mirroring at all 😄

It’s a very basic plot point that existed long before STAR WARS even came out. And not only in film but in book as well.

Right, lots of movies have a main character taken by a dark jedi to the stormtroopers’ space station (capable of destroying entire worlds), interrogated by the main villain on the data they’re looking for (which are hidden inside her own droid) : /
If these plot points are not borrowed from earlier SW films (ANH in particular here), then neither are those you pointed out in the PT (like Luke/Anakin fighting Vader/Dooku and loosing his hand), or is it? And yet, they were “borrowed”.

The Original Trilogy’s Timeline Reconstruction: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Implied-starting-date-of-the-Empire-from-OT-dialogue/post/786201/#TopicPost786201

Author
Time
 (Edited)

John Doom said:

Lord Haseo said:

John Doom said:
Poe giving the data to bb8 and being captured, as well as Rey being brought to SKB and being interrogated while the other main characters get into the prison to save her, they both clearly borrow from Leia in ANH, that was my point. Their scenes (visual references aside) play differently, yet share the same plot points, so it’s still “borrowing” as J.J. said.

Well unless SW was the first movie to have a character be captured only to be rescued by the other characters I wouldn’t really call it mirroring at all 😄

It’s a very basic plot point that existed long before STAR WARS even came out. And not only in film but in book as well.

Right, lots of movies have a main character taken by a dark jedi to the stormtroopers’ space station (capable of destroying entire worlds), interrogated by the main villain on the data they’re looking for (which are hidden inside her own droid) : /
If these plot points are not borrowed from earlier SW films (ANH in particular here), then neither are those you pointed out in the PT (like Luke/Anakin fighting Vader/Dooku and loosing his hand), or is it? And yet, they were.

There are plenty of stories that predate STAR WARS that have a main character captured and then interrogated/tortured by the main bad guy in his lair.

Also lets not forget that Leia was interrogated about the location of the Rebel base whereas Rey and Poe were interrogated about the map to Skywalker.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There are plenty of stories that predate STAR WARS that have a main character captured and then interrogated/tortured by the main bad guy in his lair.

True, but no other story besides TFA and ANH itself shares the same settings and plot points here.
You said Anakin loosing his hand mirrors the OT, but this plot point itself is not entire new as well. Was it borrowed? Yep, and you said it yourself. So if you say this is borrowing, than Rey/Leia’s capture is borrowing as well.

Also lets not forget that Leia was interrogated about the location of the Rebel base whereas Rey and Poe were interrogated about the map to Skywalker.

They were both interrogated on the hidden data that drove the main plot, it’s the same plot point. Is it actually slightly different? Yes, and so it was for example Anakin’s defeat in AOTC from Luke’s defeat in TESB, but nevertheless it borrowed from a previous SW movie.

The Original Trilogy’s Timeline Reconstruction: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Implied-starting-date-of-the-Empire-from-OT-dialogue/post/786201/#TopicPost786201

Author
Time

John Doom said:

There are plenty of stories that predate STAR WARS that have a main character captured and then interrogated/tortured by the main bad guy in his lair.

True, but no other story besides TFA and ANH itself shares the same settings and plot points here.

Setting yes but the plot points not so much. The things in which they are being interrogated for warrant being different warrants a different plot point entirely.

Was it borrowed? Yep, and you said it yourself. So if you say this is borrowing, than Rey/Leia’s capture is borrowing as well.

Sure but it doesn’t borrow much at all

They were both interrogated on the hidden data that drive the main plot, it’s the same plot point. Is it actually slightly different? Yes, and so it was for example Anakin’s defeat in AOTC from Luke’s defeat in TESB, but nevertheless it borrowed from a previous SW movie.

The location of the Rebel base isn’t the main thing driving the plot in SW; that would be the stolen Death Star plans. The map for Luke is the main thing driving the plot in TFA.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The major difference between the prequels ripping off OT and TFA ripping off OT is that TFA was a good movie.

Author
Time

He didn’t do anything…I kind of admire his conviction.

Author
Time

John Doom said:

Whatever, you’re both completely ignoring my point here and even contradicting yourself

BOTH WHO QUESTION MARK

Author
Time

Who even cares, it was a good movie.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

HansiG said:

The major difference between the prequels ripping off OT and TFA ripping off OT is that TFA was a good movie.

Tyrphanax said:

Who even cares, it was a good movie.

Dialogues and acting were indeed better than in the PT, absolutely no doubt about it.

TV’s Frink said:

John Doom said:

Whatever, you’re both completely ignoring my point here and even contradicting yourself

BOTH WHO QUESTION MARK

I’m sorry, did I make a grammar mistake?

The Original Trilogy’s Timeline Reconstruction: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Implied-starting-date-of-the-Empire-from-OT-dialogue/post/786201/#TopicPost786201

Author
Time

John Doom said:
Dialogues and acting were indeed better than in the PT, absolutely no doubt about it.

There’s also pacing, action, tone, special effects, quality of the characters and how said characters are developed, cinematography etc.

Even in a couple of areas (such as acting, dialogue and action) TFA outclasses the OT. I’m hoping VIII and IX eclipses them all.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

John Doom said:

TV’s Frink said:

John Doom said:

Whatever, you’re both completely ignoring my point here and even contradicting yourself

BOTH WHO QUESTION MARK

I’m sorry, did I make a grammar mistake?

IM ASKING WHO IS THE SECOND PERSON THAT IS COMPLETELY IGNORING YOUR POINT THERE AND EVEN CONTRADICTING HIMSELF OR HERSELF

KEEP IN MIND THAT TRANSPARENCY IS A CENTRAL PART OF MY CANDIDACY

IM THE BEST AT TRANSPARENCY

NO ONE TRANSPARENTS LIKE I DO

Author
Time

This entire topic / thread is starting to become the answer to the OP. There is too much talking and none of it is taking place in a real setting.

/sarcasm