If this isn’t allowed, let me know and I’ll take whatever action I need.
If there’s one film out there that desperately needs restoration (apart from Star Wars, of course), it has to be Tinto Brass’ Caligula. Yes… it would’ve been a political satire had Bob Guccione not gotten his mitts on it and turned it into a flat-out sex film. But with what the media’s been given to us - can it be restored to what it should’ve been? Possibly, I don’t know. What I do know is that the analysis of the footage by Alexander Tuschinski serves as the foundation for this epic task.
Assuming this project actually does get going, I’ve written up a list of the things that need to be done:
- First and foremost, remove ALL of the pornographic imagery.
- Sort the deleted scenes into their respective points in the film
- Try and clean up the negatives made available
- Bring in some voice actors to redub some scenes
- Try and reconstruct the music from what so little there is of it
- Some colour correction.
I do have access to a portion of the footage required, but not all of it. Even so, this is a pretty huge undertaking for me… in fact it might even be the death of me. So this is only in concept stage at the moment.
Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.