Sign In

Idea & Info: The Brave Little Toaster DVD - Ideas on how to restore? — Page 5

Author
Time

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

Please know that I don’t intend to distribute the project here or anywhere when complete for legal reasons. This is only being done for my personal enjoyment.

Does that mean I’ll never get to see it? That’s selfish.

That is not selfish at all, its still piracy.

I still want a copy of it!

Then create your own version, video stabilization is not that hard, i had to do it with my films on 16mm

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

Please know that I don’t intend to distribute the project here or anywhere when complete for legal reasons. This is only being done for my personal enjoyment.

Does that mean I’ll never get to see it? That’s selfish.

That is not selfish at all, its still piracy.

I still want a copy of it!

Then create your own version, video stabilization is not that hard, i had to do it with my films on 16mm

You didn’t answer my question about the right Mac program.

i dont use a mac, i use a PC, Avisynth and virtualdub both work on mac’s

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

Please know that I don’t intend to distribute the project here or anywhere when complete for legal reasons. This is only being done for my personal enjoyment.

Does that mean I’ll never get to see it? That’s selfish.

That is not selfish at all, its still piracy.

I still want a copy of it!

Then create your own version, video stabilization is not that hard, i had to do it with my films on 16mm

You didn’t answer my question about the right Mac program.

You edited your original post, And i dont use a mac, i use a PC, Avisynth and virtualdub both work on mac’s

Togedu has posts suggesting that he would release and share it with others.

Author
Time

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

Please know that I don’t intend to distribute the project here or anywhere when complete for legal reasons. This is only being done for my personal enjoyment.

Does that mean I’ll never get to see it? That’s selfish.

That is not selfish at all, its still piracy.

I still want a copy of it!

Then create your own version, video stabilization is not that hard, i had to do it with my films on 16mm

You didn’t answer my question about the right Mac program.

You edited your original post, And i dont use a mac, i use a PC, Avisynth and virtualdub both work on mac’s

Togedu’s has posts suggesting that he would release and share it with others.

yes but he’s alloud to choose not to. similar to my restorations, i cant release them becasue of legal issues

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

Please know that I don’t intend to distribute the project here or anywhere when complete for legal reasons. This is only being done for my personal enjoyment.

Does that mean I’ll never get to see it? That’s selfish.

That is not selfish at all, its still piracy.

I still want a copy of it!

Then create your own version, video stabilization is not that hard, i had to do it with my films on 16mm

You didn’t answer my question about the right Mac program.

You edited your original post, And i dont use a mac, i use a PC, Avisynth and virtualdub both work on mac’s

Togedu’s has posts suggesting that he would release and share it with others.

yes but he’s alloud to choose not to. similar to my restorations, i cant release them becasue of legal issues

What about all of those hundreds of other fan edits that exist out there? How come they haven’t been shut down because of legal issues?

Author
Time

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

Editroid said:

Please know that I don’t intend to distribute the project here or anywhere when complete for legal reasons. This is only being done for my personal enjoyment.

Does that mean I’ll never get to see it? That’s selfish.

That is not selfish at all, its still piracy.

I still want a copy of it!

Then create your own version, video stabilization is not that hard, i had to do it with my films on 16mm

You didn’t answer my question about the right Mac program.

You edited your original post, And i dont use a mac, i use a PC, Avisynth and virtualdub both work on mac’s

Togedu’s has posts suggesting that he would release and share it with others.

yes but he’s alloud to choose not to. similar to my restorations, i cant release them becasue of legal issues

What about all of those hundreds of other fan edits that exist out there? How come they haven’t been shut down because of legal issues?

All depends on the content. i cant release my restorations because i dont own the rights to the films and footage i have used.

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I feel like I need in-depth, step by step instructions. How did he create the 6.1 DTS discrete EX mix, fix the ghosting, redo the opening titles, etc? Where did he even find the original theatrical audio?

Author
Time

Editroid said:

I feel like I need in-depth, step by step instructions. How did he create the 6.1 DTS discrete EX mix, fix the ghosting, redo the opening titles, etc? Where did he even find the original theatrical audio?

Nobody is answering me.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Is the climax with Rob about to be crushed by the trash compactor SUPPOSED to have a thick red tint? Because the PAL DVD diminished it. Was it an issue with the print on the American DVD?

Author
Time

Editroid said:

Is the climax with Rob about to be crushed by the trash compactor SUPPOSED to have a thick red tint? Because the PAL DVD diminished it. Was it an issue with the print on the American DVD?

The tint could’ve been intentional in the original film, possibly the PAL transfer didn’t pick up on that visual cue.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

OracleBoy77 said:

Editroid said:

Is the climax with Rob about to be crushed by the trash compactor SUPPOSED to have a thick red tint? Because the PAL DVD diminished it. Was it an issue with the print on the American DVD?

The tint could’ve been intentional in the original film, possibly the PAL transfer didn’t pick up on that visual cue.

I don’t know what controls to use in Photoshop to replicate that exact look. That’s why I really want to talk to togedu about it.

Author
Time

OracleBoy77 said:

Editroid said:

Is the climax with Rob about to be crushed by the trash compactor SUPPOSED to have a thick red tint? Because the PAL DVD diminished it. Was it an issue with the print on the American DVD?

The tint could’ve been intentional in the original film, possibly the PAL transfer didn’t pick up on that visual cue.

ive not watched the film in years but i can tell you its Not on the VHS release. its probably either an issue when converting it to PAL ,sometimes colors can change, or it may be a issue when scanning the film (light exposure ect)

Im that guy who likes megazone 23 a little too much

Author
Time

darkspire17 said:

OracleBoy77 said:

Editroid said:

Is the climax with Rob about to be crushed by the trash compactor SUPPOSED to have a thick red tint? Because the PAL DVD diminished it. Was it an issue with the print on the American DVD?

The tint could’ve been intentional in the original film, possibly the PAL transfer didn’t pick up on that visual cue.

ive not watched the film in years but i can tell you its Not on the VHS release. its probably either an issue when converting it to PAL ,sometimes colors can change, or it may be a issue when scanning the film (light exposure ect)

I had the Disney VHS from 1991, and I distinctly remember the red tint being in that version.

Author
Time

Editroid said:

darkspire17 said:

OracleBoy77 said:

Editroid said:

Is the climax with Rob about to be crushed by the trash compactor SUPPOSED to have a thick red tint? Because the PAL DVD diminished it. Was it an issue with the print on the American DVD?

The tint could’ve been intentional in the original film, possibly the PAL transfer didn’t pick up on that visual cue.

ive not watched the film in years but i can tell you its Not on the VHS release. its probably either an issue when converting it to PAL ,sometimes colors can change, or it may be a issue when scanning the film (light exposure ect)

I had the Disney VHS from 1991, and I distinctly remember the red tint being in that version.

I still think it works given the scene itself (the guy obviously in a critical situation like that).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I bought the PAL DVD with the specific intent of using it to recreate Togedu’s version verbatim, since he’s not going to release his for legal reasons. I wish I had his email address.

Author
Time

Editroid said:

Editroid said:

I feel like I need in-depth, step by step instructions. How did he create the 6.1 DTS discrete EX mix, fix the ghosting, redo the opening titles, etc? Where did he even find the original theatrical audio?

Nobody is answering me.

I literally joined this Forum just now to sit down and “answer” by having a talk here, bud.

OK, by checking your previous posts, I see that you say you have Aspergers. I do too, (so does my younger brother) and I do have a good ‘vibe’ on what’s going on in your noodle by these double-posts. Heck, being born in 1990, this film was my ‘VHS-Loop’ playing in nonstop as a child.

But the thing is, that still doesn’t excuse your behavior on this thread. I would LOVE to see his restoration on this, but as a video-phile fan-restoration amateur myself, I know it takes time and effort… time and effort out of one’s finite amount of personal free time as a hobby. None of us are paid to do any of this, heck it wouldn’t even be legal to do so. The OP has every right to not give out any info, and certainly no obligation to even reply to this thread. One of his last updates was noting he had come on some very hard times and had a lot of personal issues that came up, so bumping this thread for any and all updates could very likely abandon it entirely.

I have little doubt that your responses were just uninformed and not maliciously intended, which is why I felt the need to talk about this more so to get you up to speed as a fellow aspie who’s been down this trail before.

Author
Time

Hey everyone, I saw earlier in this thread about a 1988 Disney Channel airing. I have a copy of BLT taped on to VHS (date unknown to me) that I’ve digitized. It still has the original star pasties during the scene with the TV. Does this mean its from that airing or were there other releases that didnt edit that to a bra?

Author
Time

Starbond9 said:

Hey everyone, I saw earlier in this thread about a 1988 Disney Channel airing. I have a copy of BLT taped on to VHS (date unknown to me) that I’ve digitized. It still has the original star pasties during the scene with the TV. Does this mean its from that airing or were there other releases that didnt edit that to a bra?

I wish I knew, but that sounds pretty cool if it only came out that way originally in the film fest circuit.

Author
Time

OracleBoy77 said:

Starbond9 said:

Hey everyone, I saw earlier in this thread about a 1988 Disney Channel airing. I have a copy of BLT taped on to VHS (date unknown to me) that I’ve digitized. It still has the original star pasties during the scene with the TV. Does this mean its from that airing or were there other releases that didnt edit that to a bra?

I wish I knew, but that sounds pretty cool if it only came out that way originally in the film fest circuit.

Well, it seems that the censored edit with the bra was only made exclusively to the USA DVD release, while the VHS releases (or at the very least, the 1991 edition) contain the uncensored version with the star pasties. International releases outside of the USA also use the uncensored version, with the exception of Brazil and Japan, which use the same edited NTSC master as the 2003 USA DVD.

Author
Time

GoboFraggle1983 said:

OracleBoy77 said:

Starbond9 said:

Hey everyone, I saw earlier in this thread about a 1988 Disney Channel airing. I have a copy of BLT taped on to VHS (date unknown to me) that I’ve digitized. It still has the original star pasties during the scene with the TV. Does this mean its from that airing or were there other releases that didnt edit that to a bra?

I wish I knew, but that sounds pretty cool if it only came out that way originally in the film fest circuit.

Well, it seems that the censored edit with the bra was only made exclusively to the USA DVD release, while the VHS releases (or at the very least, the 1991 edition) contain the uncensored version with the star pasties. International releases outside of the USA also use the uncensored version, with the exception of Brazil and Japan, which use the same edited NTSC master as the 2003 USA DVD.

Pretty interesting. I know part of this reason was/is due the film technically not being owned by Disney entirely, they just own the rights to select markets to distribute it in.

Just a shame there isn’t a 30th Anniversary BluRay of it already.

Author
Time

OracleBoy77 said:

GoboFraggle1983 said:

OracleBoy77 said:

Starbond9 said:

Hey everyone, I saw earlier in this thread about a 1988 Disney Channel airing. I have a copy of BLT taped on to VHS (date unknown to me) that I’ve digitized. It still has the original star pasties during the scene with the TV. Does this mean its from that airing or were there other releases that didnt edit that to a bra?

I wish I knew, but that sounds pretty cool if it only came out that way originally in the film fest circuit.

Well, it seems that the censored edit with the bra was only made exclusively to the USA DVD release, while the VHS releases (or at the very least, the 1991 edition) contain the uncensored version with the star pasties. International releases outside of the USA also use the uncensored version, with the exception of Brazil and Japan, which use the same edited NTSC master as the 2003 USA DVD.

Pretty interesting. I know part of this reason was/is due the film technically not being owned by Disney entirely, they just own the rights to select markets to distribute it in.

Just a shame there isn’t a 30th Anniversary BluRay of it already.

From what I read on a “Disney Movie Re-Release” Thread somewhere (been years since I read it; sorry) a member of the production was asked about the slipshod copy on VHS/DVD with the response being that the NTSC DVD was a transfer (with those edits) from the VHS; as someone who watched the HELL outta my childhood copy I can confirm.

Anywho, the theory on said thread was that Disney had no better copy than the 4:3 cropped version that aired on Disney Channel (which was how the distribution deal fell through, btw) and unless another version was found itg would not be seeing any new release.

Also noted was how the (cancer) sequels were not under such problems as they were made in-house (and have been featured on Netflix FTR).

I feel like the only way we would ever get a Anamorphic copy would be if some ex-employee has a print somewhere that can be transfered (like how an Anamorphic preservation of Raggity Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure was done by fans) but considering how the Pappa Mouse has sat on Song of The South, a DMCA would be veeery likely…

Author
Time

chaoscharza said:

OracleBoy77 said:

GoboFraggle1983 said:

OracleBoy77 said:

Starbond9 said:

Hey everyone, I saw earlier in this thread about a 1988 Disney Channel airing. I have a copy of BLT taped on to VHS (date unknown to me) that I’ve digitized. It still has the original star pasties during the scene with the TV. Does this mean its from that airing or were there other releases that didnt edit that to a bra?

I wish I knew, but that sounds pretty cool if it only came out that way originally in the film fest circuit.

Well, it seems that the censored edit with the bra was only made exclusively to the USA DVD release, while the VHS releases (or at the very least, the 1991 edition) contain the uncensored version with the star pasties. International releases outside of the USA also use the uncensored version, with the exception of Brazil and Japan, which use the same edited NTSC master as the 2003 USA DVD.

Pretty interesting. I know part of this reason was/is due the film technically not being owned by Disney entirely, they just own the rights to select markets to distribute it in.

Just a shame there isn’t a 30th Anniversary BluRay of it already.

From what I read on a “Disney Movie Re-Release” Thread somewhere (been years since I read it; sorry) a member of the production was asked about the slipshod copy on VHS/DVD with the response being that the NTSC DVD was a transfer (with those edits) from the VHS; as someone who watched the HELL outta my childhood copy I can confirm.

Anywho, the theory on said thread was that Disney had no better copy than the 4:3 cropped version that aired on Disney Channel (which was how the distribution deal fell through, btw) and unless another version was found itg would not be seeing any new release.

Also noted was how the (cancer) sequels were not under such problems as they were made in-house (and have been featured on Netflix FTR).

I feel like the only way we would ever get a Anamorphic copy would be if some ex-employee has a print somewhere that can be transfered (like how an Anamorphic preservation of Raggity Ann & Andy: A Musical Adventure was done by fans) but considering how the Pappa Mouse has sat on Song of The South, a DMCA would be veeery likely…

Sad really. These sorts of things always happen.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Starfx has been working on his own restoration of The Brave Little Toaster with me. But, for some reason, he hasn’t been answering my many messages to him over the past month, even though I know he’s had recent activity on OT.com.