Sign In

Idea: Tiny edit idea for ESB

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There is a well known plot hole in ESB. Either Luke gets a few days training on Dagobah, or The Falcon gang spend weeks limping to Bespin with no hyperdrive. Either way, the timings don’t quite work.

If we would use title cards, a perfect place for one would be between the scene of the Falcon leaving with the garbage (followed by Fett) and the scene of Luke having a force vision while standing upside down. But don’t worry; I think title cards are a terrible idea.

Now that scene change is accomplished by using an optical wipe, just like so many scenes in the franchise.

But wipes give the effect of something in the next scene happening right after or even simultaneously as the preceding scene. Thats the feeling I get anyway, it doesn’t feel like any significant time has passed.

In ANH there are two instances of fading to black between scenes; one after Owen and Luke purchases the droids, and the other after the epic twin sunset.

A short fade to black gives the viewer a sense that some time has passed, in a way that an optical wipe doesn’t.

So why not change the wipe in ESB to a short fade to black? Adding perhaps one second to the runtime.

It might just subtly change how the viewer sees the passage of time in this part of the movie.

Thoughts?

Author
Time

My head cannon is that ESB is accidentally more accurate than the rest of Star Wars, Nolan’s Interstellar-style. Time might pass differently on the surface of different planets versus space?

Author
Time

JakeRyan17 said:

My head cannon is that ESB is accidentally more accurate than the rest of Star Wars, Nolan’s Interstellar-style. Time might pass differently on the surface of different planets versus space?

You’re exactly right. I would go as far to say that it isn’t even accidental.

My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones!

Author
Time

Honestly, I don’t see anything wrong with the idea that both parties spend about two weeks doing their shtick.

Author
Time

I tend to think of Dagobah as akin to Dragon Ball’s Hyperbolic Time Chamber/Room of Spirit & Time. One year inside the chamber takes up only one day outside of it. Dagobah time is elongated, which would account for the extended time Luke spent training/Yoda’s age catching up to him a bit more.

That’s just a “head canon” for me.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Two words: time dilation. It’s what happens when you don’t have a fancypants FTL drive at your disposal and have to resort to near-light speed travel.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

BedeHistory731 said:

I tend to think of Dagobah as akin to Dragon Ball’s Hyperbolic Time Chamber/Room of Spirit & Time. One year inside the chamber takes up only one day outside of it. Dagobah time is elongated, which would account for the extended time Luke spent training/Yoda’s age catching up to him a bit more.

That’s just a “head canon” for me.

That’s a cool idea, though I doubt Lucas thought of it that way and probably just ignored the specific time length details for the overall “feel” of the training montage.

Thumbs up to you for spelling head canon right and not the silly headcannon, which IS something in Dragonball, hahaha.

Author
Time

Chase Adams said:

JakeRyan17 said:

My head cannon is that ESB is accidentally more accurate than the rest of Star Wars, Nolan’s Interstellar-style. Time might pass differently on the surface of different planets versus space?

You’re exactly right. I would go as far to say that it isn’t even accidental.

I wouldn’t go with an Interstellar explanation with it. Maybe Dagobah has a weird relationship to the Force that drives the flow of time in a different manner than the rest of the universe?

Death of the Author

Author
Time

Maybe Luke’s formal instruction wasn’t as much longer than Rey’s as we thought.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

SparkySywer said:

Chase Adams said:

JakeRyan17 said:

My head cannon is that ESB is accidentally more accurate than the rest of Star Wars, Nolan’s Interstellar-style. Time might pass differently on the surface of different planets versus space?

You’re exactly right. I would go as far to say that it isn’t even accidental.

I wouldn’t go with an Interstellar explanation with it. Maybe Dagobah has a weird relationship to the Force that drives the flow of time in a different manner than the rest of the universe?

Invoking Interstellar implies to me that it was Luke’s training which was dilated in time since the time dilation of Interstellar happened mostly on the water planet, but in this case it would be as Duracell said and be the dilation of time on the Falcon as it traveled at near-light speed. For a normal observer such as Luke or Vader, the events of the film would take place over many weeks while Han and Leia would experience only a few days.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)