Sign In

Idea: 'Godzilla - The Heisei Series' Remastered

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Heisei series has always been my favorite of the eras of Godzilla. I love the stories and continuity, I love the aesthetic and kaiju designs, I love the music, the special effects were some of the most impressive the franchise has ever shown, and it easily has the most iconic and quintessential portrayal of Godzilla (at least its easily my personal favorite). Biollante, King Ghidorah, MGII, and Destoroyah are my all time favorite kaiju movies. However, the series still isn’t flawless. Not all of the effects have aged well, the foreign acting (especially in Biollante and King Ghidorah) is laughably bad and extraordinarily cringe, the first entry (The Return of Godzilla) is in my opinion an absolute stale bore that puts me to sleep whenever I decide to put myself through the chore of sitting through it, and other things. But I’d like to fix these.

Right now I’m really only brainstorming, but here’s a list of edit ideas:

THE RETURN OF GODZILLA and GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE
These two are going to be combined into one film. This is definitely going to be the most hardcore of all of the edits. The opening parts of TROG showing Godzilla attacking the ship and the stuff about the government realizing Godzilla is back are going to be intercut with the stuff setting up Biollante. This does mean that Godzilla emerging from the volcano will be removed, but this was done again in Godzilla vs. Mothra but even better so meh. From there it’s mostly going to be Godzilla vs. Biollante. The battles at sea with Godzilla from GvB will remain (of course the Super X II will now just be the Super X so now it makes sense), the two monsters meet up, Godzilla beats her, Godzilla then goes on a rampage, and so on. I’m going to elaborate more on how I’m going to do this as I’m working on it, right now I’m just brainstorming. I do know that no parts from TROG actually showing Godzilla are going to be retained. This removes the suit that not only in my opinion is pretty derpy, but also screws with the continuity a bit. Any Godzilla destroying the city scenes are going to be from Godzilla vs. Biollante. It’s not like The Return of Godzilla had really good destruction scenes anyway, since all he really does is slowly meander around and occasionally stumble into a building as if he’s drunk. He hardly destroys any buildings (I think there’s only 2 buildings in the entire film which he actually intentionally destroys), which is a lot of what drags down the film for me.

Any bad English lines will be replaced with the English dubbed versions.

GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH
-Cut bad M11 running effects. There are some that actually look quite good, but the one’s in which he looks like he’s on a conveyor belt making running motions are going to go.
-Make multiple trims to the Godzillasaurus sequence to remove American bad dialogue (and any that remain will be replaced by the English dubbed versions) and matte shots.
-Cut the fighter jet sequence with King Ghidorah (this scene was a last minute addition and it shows).
-The time travel, with new subtitles, will be explained in a way that makes sense, as while it does make sense after doing research using Wikizilla it doesn’t make much sense by just watching the film alone.

GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA
-Cut any examples of the daughter being annoying.
-Cut down times when the environmental message is heavy-handed.
-Cut any over-the-top dialogue or moments.
-Cut wonky effects during Mothra and Battra’s battle or any other examples throughout the film.
-All English lines will be replaced with the English dubbed versions.

GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA II - now renamed GODZILLA VS. SUPER MECHAGODZILLA
-Trim any wonky matte shots in which matte lines are clearly visible.
-All English lines (such as the American character Dr. Asimov) will be replaced with the English dubbed versions.
-Reinsert deleted scene of Miki and BabyGodzilla. I will need help with this one since it will need to be upscaled to HD and given subtitles, but I think this scene would be a great addition, since it helps Miki’s character arc here.

GODZILLA VS. SPACEGODZILLA
-Cut all of the Cosmos screen presence in the film. They really serve no purpose and this little subplot is not paid off.
-Cut space battle between Moguera and SpaceGodzilla and all setup scenes for it. Very disappointing battle with very rushed looking effects.
-Trim down Miki’s dialogue about men thinking about fighting all the time.
-Cut Koji and Kiyo trying to help Yuki fight Godzilla. They seriously think that they can do jack shit against the monster that beat Super Mechagodzilla?
-Cut dumb Mafia subplot that makes no sense. Like, first off, if the technology for Project T didn’t work the first time, why tf would they think it would work the second time? Second, what is an evolutionary biologist doing in the Mafia? And G-Force must be absolute shit at background checks if someone who’s a part of the Mafia comes in. Helicopter scene in which Yuki’s motivation for his hatred towards Godzilla will be moved to earlier in the film.
-Trim final battle to remove any shots in which the team forgot to put in appropriate beams.
-Cut dialogue at the end about SpaceGodzilla being a warning to mankind.
-All English lines will be replaced with the English dubbed versions.

GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH
-Cut the two wide shots that utilized Bandai Juvenile Destoroyah’s during freezer canon sequence.
-Trim any shots of Destoroyah in which he doesn’t flap his wings for an unbelievable amount of time (they were generally really good with this, but some examples still exist that need to be fixed).
-All English lines will be replaced with the English dubbed versions.

More and more specifics will be added overtime but these are the ideas I can come up with at the moment. Suggestions are more then welcome.

Link to thread for my Star Wars fan-edits: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/My-Star-Wars-Saga-Edits-episodes-1-6/id/76327
Other fan-edits include “This is Tokyo” (combination of original 1954 Gojira and the 1956 Americanization) and Heisei Godzilla Series Remaster.

And finally, proud creator of Dinosauria: Ascension, Domination, Downfall. https://dinosauriadocu.wixsite.com/dinosauriadocu

Author
Time

This is an awesome sounding project! I wish I had more to offer, but I love the Heisei era the most, cheesy effects and all and any improvements to the stories and getting big G on screen quicker is always a win for me!

Author
Time

Any update on this? The Heisei series is my all time favorite, and this full on fanedit sounds incredible. Cutting the first two movies together especially, since I also find the first one to be a drag to watch through on a marathon.

Author
Time

WitchDR said:

Any update on this? The Heisei series is my all time favorite, and this full on fanedit sounds incredible. Cutting the first two movies together especially, since I also find the first one to be a drag to watch through on a marathon.

I’m glad to see that you think it sounds great. It’s always nice to see that some are excited for a project, it greatly improves my morale to actually see to it that it gets done.

Admittedly I haven’t been working on this much as I’ve been focusing more on other projects (my dinosaur documentary project and my Star Wars edits), but once I’m done with my Revenge of the Sith edit then I’ll start working on this.

I have been starting to doubt whether I’ll actually be able to effectively combine Return of Godzilla and Biollante, as it will mess with continuity quite a bit. Maybe instead of combining them in a way that makes it seem like they’re happening at the same time (as I originally thought), I’ll edit it so a heavily cut-down 84 acts as like a prologue at the beginning (there is something like that in the actual opening of Biollante but this one would be more expansive), still taking place 5 years before. Godzilla would still look different but not really much I can do about that.

I may also offer two options: one edit of 84 and Biollante combined into one film and another option in which they are still separate movies. I will trim down 84 to pick up the pace (and probably even add the American scenes of Raymond Burr like I did with my 54 edit, because Steve Martin is awesome), and have a separate Biollante fan-edit that still makes a lot of the changes I was going to for that movie:

-Cut the scene where Gondo talks about the prime minister not believing the psychic children. There’s literally an institute designated for psychic children and the prime minister doesn’t even believe they exist?
-Cut the scene where Kirishima and Azuka talk about making the bacteria at night time. This scene really doesn’t give us any new information and I feel like the first half of this movie takes too long to get started.
-Cut the part where Miki draws Rose Biollante. It ruins any suspense and surprise of seeing Biollante for the first time.
-Cut all of the scenes that split the battle between Godzilla and the Super X II, removing that terrible shot of Godzilla’s head rising from the water, removing excess fat, and not stopping the momentum of the film.
-The scene where Doctor Shiragami talks to the news woman and when he, Miki, and Azuka realize Erika is no longer in Biollante is moved after the battle with Godzilla and the Super X II.
-After Miki says “Biollante was calling out to Godzilla!” it cuts to the shot of Godzilla walking to Lake Ashi at night with added sound effects, as the music playing during the clip is continued from the scene that I cut below.
-As a result, the scene of the military getting into position before the first fight is removed.
-Cut the two times Godzilla completely misses Biollante by a long shot with his atomic breath near the end of the fight. Like seriously, it’s as if he intentionally missed! What’s the point?
-Cut the scene with the helicopters after the first fight.
-Cut the entire subplot of “We sent everything to Isle Bay and Godzilla actually appeared in Osaka!” as it just convoluted the film. It doesn’t even need to exist for the plot to make sense, and it takes focus away from the much more interesting subplot of Miki trying to change Godzilla’s direction with her telepathy.
-Cut the part where Azuka makes the soldiers leave the platform. It’s probably the most illogical thing in this movie. Why would you get rid of your own protection and transport? And you really think that you’re more qualified to be in such a dangerous situation then trained soldiers?!

This way people who like 84 a lot won’t be left out. I do think it has it’s good parts, but the pace needs to be picked up.

Link to thread for my Star Wars fan-edits: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/My-Star-Wars-Saga-Edits-episodes-1-6/id/76327
Other fan-edits include “This is Tokyo” (combination of original 1954 Gojira and the 1956 Americanization) and Heisei Godzilla Series Remaster.

And finally, proud creator of Dinosauria: Ascension, Domination, Downfall. https://dinosauriadocu.wixsite.com/dinosauriadocu

Author
Time

G&G-Fan said:

WitchDR said:

Any update on this? The Heisei series is my all time favorite, and this full on fanedit sounds incredible. Cutting the first two movies together especially, since I also find the first one to be a drag to watch through on a marathon.

I’m glad to see that you think it sounds great. It’s always nice to see that some are excited for a project, it greatly improves my morale to actually see to it that it gets done.

Admittedly I haven’t been working on this much as I’ve been focusing more on other projects (my dinosaur documentary project and my Star Wars edits), but once I’m done with my Revenge of the Sith edit then I’ll start working on this.

I have been starting to doubt whether I’ll actually be able to effectively combine Return of Godzilla and Biollante, as it will mess with continuity quite a bit. Maybe instead of combining them in a way that makes it seem like they’re happening at the same time (as I originally thought), I’ll edit it so a heavily cut-down 84 acts as like a prologue at the beginning (there is something like that in the actual opening of Biollante but this one would be more expansive), still taking place 5 years before. Godzilla would still look different but not really much I can do about that.

I may also offer two options: one edit of 84 and Biollante combined into one film and another option in which they are still separate movies. I will trim down 84 to pick up the pace (and probably even add the American scenes of Raymond Burr like I did with my 54 edit, because Steve Martin is awesome), and have a separate Biollante fan-edit that still makes a lot of the changes I was going to for that movie:

-Cut the scene where Gondo talks about the prime minister not believing the psychic children. There’s literally an institute designated for psychic children and the prime minister doesn’t even believe they exist?
-Cut the scene where Kirishima and Azuka talk about making the bacteria at night time. This scene really doesn’t give us any new information and I feel like the first half of this movie takes too long to get started.
-Cut the part where Miki draws Rose Biollante. It ruins any suspense and surprise of seeing Biollante for the first time.
-Cut all of the scenes that split the battle between Godzilla and the Super X II, removing that terrible shot of Godzilla’s head rising from the water, removing excess fat, and not stopping the momentum of the film.
-The scene where Doctor Shiragami talks to the news woman and when he, Miki, and Azuka realize Erika is no longer in Biollante is moved after the battle with Godzilla and the Super X II.
-After Miki says “Biollante was calling out to Godzilla!” it cuts to the shot of Godzilla walking to Lake Ashi at night with added sound effects, as the music playing during the clip is continued from the scene that I cut below.
-As a result, the scene of the military getting into position before the first fight is removed.
-Cut the two times Godzilla completely misses Biollante by a long shot with his atomic breath near the end of the fight. Like seriously, it’s as if he intentionally missed! What’s the point?
-Cut the scene with the helicopters after the first fight.
-Cut the entire subplot of “We sent everything to Isle Bay and Godzilla actually appeared in Osaka!” as it just convoluted the film. It doesn’t even need to exist for the plot to make sense, and it takes focus away from the much more interesting subplot of Miki trying to change Godzilla’s direction with her telepathy.
-Cut the part where Azuka makes the soldiers leave the platform. It’s probably the most illogical thing in this movie. Why would you get rid of your own protection and transport? And you really think that you’re more qualified to be in such a dangerous situation then trained soldiers?!

This way people who like 84 a lot won’t be left out. I do think it has it’s good parts, but the pace needs to be picked up.

Sweet! Yeah I just read thorough your SW 6 film edit and am excited to see where that goes as well. Always nice to see edits of ANH include the Scene 38 recreation. Also really intrigued to see how the Jar Jar dub is pulled off in full movie length.

Definitely want to see you get the SW one done, since I’m a bigger SW fan lol. But cant wait to see what you can pull off with this project, since I feel the Heisei series as a lot of potential to be something really great, if tweaked a bit.

You said you did an edit of 54? Can I get a PM of that? Would love to check it out!

Author
Time

WitchDR said:

Sweet! Yeah I just read thorough your SW 6 film edit and am excited to see where that goes as well. Always nice to see edits of ANH include the Scene 38 recreation. Also really intrigued to see how the Jar Jar dub is pulled off in full movie length.

Definitely want to see you get the SW one done, since I’m a bigger SW fan lol. But cant wait to see what you can pull off with this project, since I feel the Heisei series as a lot of potential to be something really great, if tweaked a bit.

You said you did an edit of 54? Can I get a PM of that? Would love to check it out!

Epic, I’m glad you agree with me about Scene 38. I love how it does Darth Vader justice. The new Vader comics show him to be incredibly powerful and the best lightsaber duelist ever, and the films should be consistent with that IMO. And my Phantom Menace edit is already done, so it technically already has been pulled off.

Do you have any suggestions for either the Star Wars or Heisei edits? You seem very hyped for them and I always love to hear suggestions and feedback. If you have something in mind I’d like to address it.

Yes, my edit of 54 is called “This is Tokyo”. It combines the original Japanese version with the American version. There’s a thread here about it. I’ll PM you the link, as well as the link for the Star Wars edits.

Link to thread for my Star Wars fan-edits: https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/My-Star-Wars-Saga-Edits-episodes-1-6/id/76327
Other fan-edits include “This is Tokyo” (combination of original 1954 Gojira and the 1956 Americanization) and Heisei Godzilla Series Remaster.

And finally, proud creator of Dinosauria: Ascension, Domination, Downfall. https://dinosauriadocu.wixsite.com/dinosauriadocu