Sign In

How should the sound for the original trilogy on dvd should be master

Author
Time
This topic is for the sound of the orginal trilogy and how should it be master for the dvd's.
Kenneth Kraly Jr.
Author
Time
I would guess it would be like the other films 5.1 and/or 6.1 DD with a basic DSS Track.

Ether way I am sure the sound will be "Kicking Sweet".
§ JxF §
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/Jediii_2006/box/blu-sw.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/Jediii_2006/box/starwars_ani.gif
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/489/bluraydisc2lk9.jpg
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Luke30
This topic is for the sound of the orginal trilogy and how should it be master for the dvd's.

Star Wars should have the original 6 track mix on it as well as the original 1977 35mm Dolby Stereo mix and the original 35mm mono mix.

Neil

Well at least the reversed surround channels have been addressed.

Author
Time
Please,please,please lets have a DTS track on the discs ,after all they were filmed in this great format.

also the standard 5.1EX and dolby surround.

The EP.II disc does sound fantastic though!

I just want the OT to hurry up now!
Saw Star Wars the first time around when I was 9 years old.

It's been a passion ever since!

"May the Force be with you".
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Dale Darth Vader
Please,please,please lets have a DTS track on the discs ,after all they were filmed in this great format.


Huh? The OT was originally mixed in either Dolby Stereo Optical or Dolby 6-Track magnetic (for 70mm presentations). DTS wasn't used until 1993, with the first wide release being Jurassic Park.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Neil S. Bulk
Star Wars should have the original 6 track mix on it as well as the original 1977 35mm Dolby Stereo mix and the original 35mm mono mix.

Neil


Could all of those soundtracks be included on the disc in English along with foreign languages as well??? For my money, the stereo track ought to be skipped with only the 6-track and mono mixes being included. How good could the stereo track have really been anyway??

- Trentobi
http://www.blissnet.org
Author
Time
Apparently there are some substantial differences with the Dolby Stereo and the 6 track 70mm version, but I would be happy with only the 6-track, as it is really only a 4.1 track.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: GundarkHunter
Apparently there are some substantial differences with the Dolby Stereo and the 6 track 70mm version, but I would be happy with only the 6-track, as it is really only a 4.1 track.


What are the differences?

In home theater terms, what exactly does 4.1 translate to? Two channels in front and two channels in back? Three channels in front and one channel in back? I know what the ".1" is supposed to be, of course.

- Trentobi
http://www.blissnet.org
Author
Time
4.1 is Left, Centre, Right, Monaural surround and subwoofer; essentially the same setup as Dolby Surround, but not matrixed. The original 6-track configuration for the 50s and 60s was Left, Centre Left, Centre, Centre Right, Right, and Monaural surround, with no subwoofer track; this was modified in the late 70s and early 80s to the first configuration described, with the Centre Left and Centre Right channels becoming "baby booms" or subwoofer tracks.
The changes attributed to the 70mm mix have something to do with different sound effects and music cues. I don't have the specifics, but they are buried in one of the older threads in either this forum or the General Star Wars Discussion forum. To access them, you'd have to customise the forum. Hope this helps.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: GundarkHunter
4.1 is Left, Centre, Right, Monaural surround and subwoofer; essentially the same setup as Dolby Surround, but not matrixed. The original 6-track configuration for the 50s and 60s was Left, Centre Left, Centre, Centre Right, Right, and Monaural surround, with no subwoofer track; this was modified in the late 70s and early 80s to the first configuration described, with the Centre Left and Centre Right channels becoming "baby booms" or subwoofer tracks.
The changes attributed to the 70mm mix have something to do with different sound effects and music cues. I don't have the specifics, but they are buried in one of the older threads in either this forum or the General Star Wars Discussion forum. To access them, you'd have to customise the forum. Hope this helps.


Thanks a lot. I'm already better off than I was. I'll do some searching around. Thanks again.

- Trentobi
http://www.blissnet.org