Sign In

How Many Times Have You Seen The Original Trilogy?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

How many times have you watched the trilogy now? Include the SE’s, if you wish. I’d say I’m up to around 200 times each.

Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: JediSage
How many times have you watched the trilogy now? Include the SE's, if you wish. I'd say I'm up to around 200 times each.


All things considered I'm probably right behind you JediSage.
Author
Time
Well, I've only watched the SEs once each. I was never a big fan. But I do own them. I'm sure I've got some kind of magnetic dropout problem with those tapes by now considering I've owned them for almost eight years and watched them only once. I still watch my original VHS and my Faces THX edition (widescreen) when I need a SW fix. Although I have been checking out my Faces LD rip on DVD lately.

All told, probably right around the same number of times as you two.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Probably all of them about fifty times each over the last 8 years. (Before then I'd not seen them at all)

4

Author
Time
God knows.....I've owned the VHS copies since 82 ANH - 84 ESB - 86 ROTJ, so I must have watched them a few hundred times each.
Watched ESB on Saturday night round my mates after his party, and his girlfriend found it quite amusing that i knew it word for word. Even in my state..which was fucked, I still knew it all.
That film is the best after a few solid hours of drinking and then a couple of joints...makes you appreciate it even more

Even bought a Luke Skywalker Force FX lightsabre....Found out some guy I knew had two of them, went round his house and nearly come in my pants there and then. They are fucking amazing!!!!


Yeah, a few hundred times!!

http://www.facebook.com/DirtyWookie

Author
Time
Over 200, and I've been watching these movies since I was 5 years old.
I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an Obi-Wan to go.

Red heads ROCK. Blondes do not rock. Nuff said.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/greencapt/hansolovsindy.jpg
Author
Time
I've only seen the original trilogy once, and I didn't even finish RotJ. I hired them last year, when I was 12. However, I've seen the phantom menace about 12 to 20 times, and the attacj of the clones about 10 times. Never seen RotS!
If no-one can see the Force, is it really there?
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Jeten San Hett
I've only seen the original trilogy once, and I didn't even finish RotJ. I hired them last year, when I was 12.



Leave this place and never come back!!!

http://www.facebook.com/DirtyWookie

Author
Time
I haven't seen it that much... The original trilogy, about 20, 30 times? Maybe less. Not as much as "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", which I've seen about 100 times.

The Phantom Menace 3 times, AOTC about 4 times...
“Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” — Nazi Reich Marshal Hermann Goering
Author
Time
I would say I've seen each of the original trilogy a couple of hundred times. We got the tapes when they were first released on video. I watched at least a part of them each day for a long time as a child. I didn't watch them as much around junior high and high school. After a while, the tape broke. The only version available at the store was the Special Editions, so I bought those. I hated the Special Editions, so I basically stopped watching them. Thankfully, through the internet, I was able to buy the originals. I limit myself to watching them once a month.
So I would have to approximate-New Hope-300 times/Empire Strikes Back-250/Return of the Jedi-200
For Phantom Menace, I saw it twice in theaters and have the DVD. I watch it every few months. Probably seen it 15-20 times.
I've seen Attack of the Clones twice-once in the theater and rented it once on video. That is all I could stand of it.
I've made a pledge to never again pay money for anything George Lucas puts out until he puts the original movies, not the Special Editions crap, on DVD. I will see Revenge of the Sith in theaters, but I'm going to wait a few weeks until the theater allows me to use a free pass.
Author
Time
Wow, there's no way for me to really be accurate with this! Counting the numerous times I've seen them on TV - well, here's what I come up with (including SE's):

ANH - 100-ish
ESB - 75-ish
ROTJ - 50-ish

I saw TPM 4 times in the theater, never rented or owned it. I saw AOTC twice in the theater, never rented or owned it.

I remember as a kid we didn't own the VHS copies, so that limits my numbers. I DID have the little read-along records for them all and listened to those COUNTLESS times - does that count? Wow - 200+ times for some of you, eh? That's a lot. I got really into LOTR over the past few years, so my numbers have been lagging since 2001.
Got lightspeed?
Author
Time
I saw each of the OT movies in theaters at least once. I was too young to be able to go on my own or I would have gone more often. Saw ANH and ESB SE in theaters once each but never saw ROTJ SE in theaters.

My parents had some kind of copy of the OT on VHS when I was a kid. Dunno where they taped it from as I never remember it being on TV. Then, in 1990, I got my first official VHS box set and watched it to death (it is still a good copy, though). Got the Faces THX Widescreen set in 1995 and still watch it. Got the SE VHS Widescreen in 1997-98 and watched them once each. Now I have DVD rips of the Faces LDs that I've watched a couple times each.

PT, I saw TPM once in theaters and never rented it or saw it on TV. AOTC I saw once in theaters and have seen maybe another three or four times on cable. Never rented though. And I don't own either on DVD.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
Since, what, 1996 when I first watched the trilogy (pan and scam faces set) I think I have seen ANH about 30 times, ESB maybe 40, ROTJ maybe 25.

I am pretty sure that I am underestimating because I know these movies better than the back (and front) of my hands.

I saw TPM in the theater once and on DVD maybe 8 times and AOTC in the theater twice and on DVD maybe 10 times.
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them during the long winter evenings."
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Jeten San Hett
I've only seen the original trilogy once, and I didn't even finish RotJ. I hired them last year, when I was 12. However, I've seen the phantom menace about 12 to 20 times, and the attacj of the clones about 10 times. Never seen RotS!


UNEDJUCATED! We must ban you!!!

4

Author
Time
For me, including the SE's, it's gotta be in the hundreds. I really can't say for sure. I still watch them on a regular basis and I never get tired of them. I can recite them all by heart. I know, I am sad and have no life.
Author
Time
We need to have a trilogy festival... Where we show all the greatest movie trilogies ever created back to back over the course of a few days.

Day One: Opening Ceremonies
Star Wars Trilogy (Unaltered Theatrical Release)
Back to the Future Trilogy
The Matrix Trilogy
Lord of the Rings (Theatrical Versions)
Godfather Trilogy


Day Two: Blade Trilogy
Trilogy of Non Crappy Superman films
Lord of the Rings (Extended Edition Trilogy)
Indiana Jones Trilogy
X-Men Trilogy

Day Three: Terminator Trilogy
Spiderman Trilogy
Star Wars Prequel Trilogy (DVD Editions. MagFan of AoTC preferably)
Star Wars Ultimate Edition (Lucas's latest changes)
Closing Ceremonies

In between all the movie watching, there could be bathrooms, and places to enjoy other trilogies like books and Video games. Rachet and Clank comes to mind.

4

Author
Time
What about the Terminator trilogy? and is this limited to SF? If not, what about the Godfather Trilogy?

Also you meantioned the a trilogy superman movies that were not crappy, are there more than 2 of them that are not crappy?
Author
Time
I've seen the OT about 600+ times each (over the last 28 years - a lot of it was in 6+ hour sittings )

There was one point in Denver when P-Dogg and I watched the OT everyday - we only had a 19" TV with OTA (on milk crates - but hey we also had Guinness on tap at home) and a VCR (this was also 15 years ago ) the only video tapes we had were the OT Trilogy (fullscreen even!), Buckaroo Banzai, The Search for Animal Chin and Superman (we rented and borrowed monthly also).

The Special Editions maybe twice (I only saw SE "A New Hope" in the theater once)

I've Seen the "Phantom Menace" five times and "Attack of the Clones" MAYBE three times now and I have a feeling that I will only watch "Revenge of the Sith" once.

I still watch the OT once a month on my laserdiscs and when ever a new transfer comes out I have it on while I'm on the net or playing in Photoshop..

“My skill are no longer as Mad as the once were” RiK

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Warbler
What about the Terminator trilogy? and is this limited to SF? If not, what about the Godfather Trilogy?


I forgot about that one. Not into gansta flicks. Edited original post.

Quote

Also you meantioned the a trilogy superman movies that were not crappy, are there more than 2 of them that are not crappy?


That's fixed too.

4

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Darth Chaltab
We need to have a trilogy festival... Where we show all the greatest movie trilogies ever created back to back over the course of a few days.

Day One: Opening Ceremonies
Star Wars Trilogy (Unaltered Theatrical Release)
Back to the Future Trilogy
The Matrix Trilogy
Lord of the Rings (Theatrical Versions)
Godfather Trilogy


Day Two: Blade Trilogy
Trilogy of Non Crappy Superman films
Lord of the Rings (Extended Edition Trilogy)
Indiana Jones Trilogy
X-Men Trilogy

Day Three: Terminator Trilogy
Spiderman Trilogy
Star Wars Prequel Trilogy (DVD Editions. MagFan of AoTC preferably)
Star Wars Ultimate Edition (Lucas's latest changes)
Closing Ceremonies

In between all the movie watching, there could be bathrooms, and places to enjoy other trilogies like books and Video games. Rachet and Clank comes to mind.



Actually, I was thinking about this recently. I realize many of us are from pretty far away, but has there ever been any thoughts of having a get together? Maybe an OTCon, or something? Perhaps that would be a good way to generate some press for our cause? Perhaps we could have two or three smaller ones in different locations and webcast them to eachother...I know it's probably just pie in the sky, but hey, never know.
Nemo me impune lacessit

http://ttrim.blogspot.com
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: JediSage
Quote

Originally posted by: Darth Chaltab
We need to have a trilogy festival... Where we show all the greatest movie trilogies ever created back to back over the course of a few days.

Day One: Opening Ceremonies
Star Wars Trilogy (Unaltered Theatrical Release)
Back to the Future Trilogy
The Matrix Trilogy
Lord of the Rings (Theatrical Versions)
Godfather Trilogy


Day Two: Blade Trilogy
Trilogy of Non Crappy Superman films
Lord of the Rings (Extended Edition Trilogy)
Indiana Jones Trilogy
X-Men Trilogy

Day Three: Terminator Trilogy
Spiderman Trilogy
Star Wars Prequel Trilogy (DVD Editions. MagFan of AoTC preferably)
Star Wars Ultimate Edition (Lucas's latest changes)
Closing Ceremonies

In between all the movie watching, there could be bathrooms, and places to enjoy other trilogies like books and Video games. Rachet and Clank comes to mind.



Actually, I was thinking about this recently. I realize many of us are from pretty far away, but has there ever been any thoughts of having a get together? Maybe an OTCon, or something? Perhaps that would be a good way to generate some press for our cause? Perhaps we could have two or three smaller ones in different locations and webcast them to eachother...I know it's probably just pie in the sky, but hey, never know.



That's a good set of Trilogies. I'd definately throw in the Terminator trilogy (mainly for 1 and 2, but I could always grab a nap during 3 ). Maybe even include the Harry Potter quadrilogy.

I haven't seen the OT or PT anywhere near as most here I'm sure, so I'll keep my mouth shut. Maybe 10 times for each of the old ones, and 3 times on both of the PTs so far.
Author
Time
I'd include Lethal Weapon as well. (yes i know there are 4, but its still good)

besides the fact that some of those movies havent been released yet, its a good idea.

though according to your 'tentative' schedule, the only day that actually fits in a 24 hour period (thats one day for those that are confused) is the last day, and thats if you cut out the closing cerimony and cut each movie to only 2 hours, which at least some of the movies listed are more than 2 hours each. plus i would say have a short break (~10 min) between movies in a trilogy and then a longer break (~30 min) between trilogies. this time used to stretch legs, use bathroom, grab more pizza and beer (or other food if you want, but pizza and beer would be my sole source or nurishment during the trilogy festival)

ideally i think it would be good to have the trilogy festival last 3 days (if its limited to just trilogies that is)

-Darth Simon
Why Anakin really turned to the dark side:
"Anakin, You're father I am" - Yoda
"No. No. That's not true! That's impossible!" - Anakin

0100111001101001011011100110101001100001

*touchy people disclaimer*
some or all of the above comments are partially exaggerated to convey a point, none of the comments are meant as personal attacks on anyone mentioned or reference in the above post
Author
Time
Yeah, I didn't really check for time, though.

I figued the films would be playing simultaneously in several theatres, too, so there would be some movies you might have to miss to see one you really wanted, but there's no other way to cram all those films into three days.

4

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Anakin's Mannequin

That's a good set of Trilogies. I'd definately throw in the Terminator trilogy (mainly for 1 and 2, but I could always grab a nap during 3 ). Maybe even include the Harry Potter quadrilogy.

I haven't seen the OT or PT anywhere near as most here I'm sure, so I'll keep my mouth shut. Maybe 10 times for each of the old ones, and 3 times on both of the PTs so far.


I'll throw in a couple of my own favorite trilogies: The Evil Dead trilogy and The 'Mariachi' trilogy (El Mariachi/Desperado/OUTIM)

Quote

Originally posted by: JediSage
Actually, I was thinking about this recently. I realize many of us are from pretty far away, but has there ever been any thoughts of having a get together? Maybe an OTCon, or something? Perhaps that would be a good way to generate some press for our cause? Perhaps we could have two or three smaller ones in different locations and webcast them to eachother...I know it's probably just pie in the sky, but hey, never know.


I had thought about something like this as well and it would probably be a great idea. Maybe we could start with a group meeting at an already existing convention and grow from there. Something like Celebration, DragonCon, ComiCon, etc.?