Sign In

How Does Princess Leia Remember Her Mother in Return of the Jedi?

Author
Time

I’m asking this question because I just recently watched “Revenge of the Sith” with my son and if Padme died giving birth to Luke and Leia, then how can Leia, as an adult woman in ROTJ, remember her mother if she was a baby when she died?
Adults can have good memories stemming back as close to infancy as possible but I studied this in college, and most people have no concept of memory prior to hitting the “age of reason,” which to the average adult, is about 3 years old.
If you CAN remember before you are 3, you have special brain abilities no one else has, or your memories are very vague. Despite the fact that Leia’s memories ARE vague when she describes them to Luke on Endor, she knew more about Padme than she could have known if she only held her for a moment as a baby. So how is this possible?

Author
Time

kellyliston2017 said:

I just recently watched “Revenge of the Sith” with my son and if Padme died giving birth to Luke and Leia

There’s the problem right there.

It’s a perfectly fine story until George went and screwed it up with the prequels.

Author
Time

She says…

Just images, really.

Which could mean she saw pictures of her mother as a child.

That whole scene in ROTJ is weird anyway, and the reason for Padme’s death in ROTS makes no sense.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

kellyliston2017 said:

I just recently watched “Revenge of the Sith” with my son and if Padme died giving birth to Luke and Leia

There’s the problem right there.

It’s a perfectly fine story until George went and screwed it up with the prequels.

Good point! I have seen movie mistakes before but don’t you think George Lucas could have noticed a mess-up such as this? I know if I was going to make a sequel or prequel, I would re-watch my old movies to make certain I am not messing things up. Haha! Maybe that’s why I like the original trilogy better

Author
Time

kellyliston2017 said:

I know if I was going to make a sequel or prequel, I would re-watch my old movies to make certain I am not messing things up.

Someone had to remind Lucas that Obi-Wan needed to pick up Anakin’s lightsaber before he left Mustafar.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress / Facebook / Twitter

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress / Twitter

Author
Time

doubleofive said:

kellyliston2017 said:

I know if I was going to make a sequel or prequel, I would re-watch my old movies to make certain I am not messing things up.

Someone had to remind Lucas that Obi-Wan needed to pick up Anakin’s lightsaber before he left Mustafar.

Seriously ?!?

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

It’s a perfectly fine story until George went and screwed it up with the prequels.

yhwx said:

That whole scene in ROTJ is weird anyway…

I’m with mini-frink on this one. Sorry ur-frink.

Author
Time

There’s no way around this one; it’s a plot hole created by the prequels. I think what happened is that Lucas started running out of time at the end of RotS and had to cram everything in so that it was all in place for the next film, Star Wars. If he had written the prequels with a little more attention to detail and better planning he could have avoided this dilemma altogether.

Author
Time

Darth Id said:

TV’s Frink said:

It’s a perfectly fine story until George went and screwed it up with the prequels.

yhwx said:

That whole scene in ROTJ is weird anyway…

I’m with mini-frink on this one. Sorry ur-frink.

I never said the story made no sense. The scene is written strangely though. Why does Luke have to be so dramatic about it?

Author
Time

yhwx said:

Darth Id said:

TV’s Frink said:

It’s a perfectly fine story until George went and screwed it up with the prequels.

yhwx said:

That whole scene in ROTJ is weird anyway…

I’m with mini-frink on this one. Sorry ur-frink.

I never said the story made no sense. The scene is written strangely though. Why does Luke have to be so dramatic about it?

Cuz it’s up to Hammill to carry the plot point, despite its manifest flaccidity.

Author
Time

Ratio Tile said:

There’s no way around this one; it’s a plot hole created by the prequels. I think what happened is that Lucas started running out of time at the end of RotS and had to cram everything in so that it was all in place for the next film, Star Wars. If he had written the prequels with a little more attention to detail and better planning he could have avoided this dilemma altogether.

You’re right.

Author
Time

I like to think if I ABSOLUTELY had to give an in-universe reason, it’s down to the fact that Leia is Force-sensitive and can remember the strong emotions her mother experienced during childbirth etc. It’s a flimsy excuse, but no weirder than that Newtype stuff I love in Mobile Suit Gundam.

Out-of-universe has already been covered, lazy scriptwriting.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

bkev said:

I like to think if I ABSOLUTELY had to give an in-universe reason, it’s down to the fact that Leia is Force-sensitive and can remember the strong emotions her mother experienced during childbirth etc.

That’s the BS excuse I’ve always heard.

Author
Time

how can Leia, as an adult woman in ROTJ, remember her mother if she was a baby when she died?

Blame it on George’s shit writing. And also the whole production team that never once tried to push back or dare question him about his shit writing.

Your best course of action is to pretend the prequels never happened. It honestly makes the Star Wars universe so much more enjoyable.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

These threads also exist:

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Why-Leia-remembers-Padme-but-Luke-doesnt/id/3834/page/1
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Could-Force-Vision-explain-how-Leia-knows-what-her-mother-looks-like-Discussion/id/47742

Tantive3+1 said:

The scene of Padme dying was a writing screw up on George’s part and if you begin to start twisting it all in your head on how it all makes sense then your taking it too seriously and need to take a step back.

Analog Releases of Films That Contain Deleted, Extended, & Alternate Footage That’ve Never Been Released on DVD/BluRay

Evil Dead 2 (1987) 35MM Preservation

Author
Time

Read my first post in this thread. I’m not agreeing with anything in those threads, just (as I said) pointing out that they exist.

Author
Time

Then I don’t understand the point of your post.