Sign In

Has anyone tried to re edit the SE yet? like the "phantom edit" but with the original trilogy?

Author
Time
I would think it could be done with a nice fresh copy of a widescreen VHS copy of the original (do they exist?) and a SE edition. You could just put it in Premiere and edit all the parts you like together and make DVD-R's of them. Anyone done this yet? I started doing this tonight with ANH from the copy that everyone has on Kazaa...
Author
Time
the best materials to work with would be LD, since the OE won't be on DVD.

I suppose someone could take a crack at it, but matching the video would be difficult. I might take a crack at it, but I want to wait to see what additional changes Lucas will make to the SE on the DVD release.

What I would really like to do is see if one could mix back in the music that was deleted in the Empire Strikes Back.
"We're fine, we're all fine down here, now thank you.... How are you?"
Author
Time
I could try and make a VHS edit, but the quality would not be good at all.

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time
When the ultimate editons come out I'm going to do this, I should have my final cut pro suite by then and I had a lot of fun re-editing AotC so I have a feeling I'll do the OT UE as well.

So int heory, my SW dvd collection will when complete include:

1.The OT in the original versions

2.The OT ultimate editions

3.The PT original versions

4. A re-edited version of each.


Craziness!
And I dance. And I sing.
And I'm a monkey, in a long line of kings.
Author
Time
OK I just finished editing the special edition copy into what I think is an acceptable edit.
Author
Time
How can we see it?
"We're fine, we're all fine down here, now thank you.... How are you?"
Author
Time
IN! I'd like to see it too!
Come join my forum at www.cultofthejedi.com
Author
Time
What changes did you make?

What program did you use? Finalcut? Premiere? Something else?
And I dance. And I sing.
And I'm a monkey, in a long line of kings.
Author
Time
The changes I made were just taking out all the cheese and trying to make the transitions OK where I made the cuts.


Took out these parts:

-excessive use of the Dewbacks

-chopped out all the jokes/puerility of the Mos Eisley introduction

-took out fake Jabba

Gee I guess that's it. The new length is 1:52:52 so there may be something I left in there. I really just wanted to do this to get ready for my Phantom Clones re-edit. I wanna take out Jar Jar and the kid (almost) completely from phantom and cut a lot of the lousy dialogue and yoda's fake fight from clones and add them together to make one ginormous film. I am going to change the contrast levels for them too to make them less of a kid's movie. Then I will go take out the yubnub parts of Jedi and make that watchable again.

I may never show these to anyone; I just want to make them actually enjoyable without cringing. I want to get back into this and this is the only way to do it for me.
Oh yeah I used Premiere 6.5.

Author
Time
Cut out Yodas fight scene! Thats the best part of the saga. The best five minutes in the history of movies. It was brilliant you can cut it out for your stupid little home version but don't try selling a garbage Yoda fight free version of Attack of the Clones.
Author
Time
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the phantom edit?
Come join my forum at www.cultofthejedi.com
Author
Time
About four years ago, someone took The Phantom Menace and re-edited it the way the fans wanted it (read: much less Jar Jar). This film made the rounds on the net and became really damn popular. The question for so long was, who did the edit job. I don't remember the answer though.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
The problem is that simply cutting out Jar jar and Jake Lloyd doesn't really help the movie, and from my viewing of the TPE, it actually hurt the movie as now these two characters seem to come out of nowhere for the final battle.

TPM is not a perfect movie, but its problems lie in the basics of its story, ie: Anakin being 9 years old. No amount of editing will fix that. AOTC on the other hand, can be saved immensely through editing. Though its script was equally if not more problematic, its editing was the real disaster, and a lot of improvements can be made by simply cutting, reinserting and rearranging certain elements.

ie: swapping the meadow picnic with the first kiss scene. Taking out the queen jamilla scene and putting in the padme's family scene.

Quote

Originally posted by: jimbo
Cut out Yodas fight scene! Thats the best part of the saga. The best five minutes in the history of movies. It was brilliant you can cut it out for your stupid little home version but don't try selling a garbage Yoda fight free version of Attack of the Clones.


I cut it out in my version. Yoda walks in, Dooku says ""you have interferred for the last time" then uses the force to knock over the pillar, Yoda uses the force to stop it from crushing Obi-wan and Anakin as Dooku flees.

the movie works MUCH better that way.

And I dance. And I sing.
And I'm a monkey, in a long line of kings.
Author
Time
If I were to create my own version of changes I like/dislike, (Which I could; it just wouldn't look good) here's what I'd do:


AHN

Have it be original up to Mos Eisley. The first shot with the 'scurriers' I would leave in. Then cut to the SE shot, minus the droid wackiness. Then have the original version for the shot that starts the stormtrooper diolauge. Then have the SE far shot, before having the original Canina entrance. Then it will be entireley original version until the Falcon takes off, which will be SE.
The entire inside the Death Star scenes will be SE for just general better Matte Paintings, except for major things like Han's lots-of-stormtroopers-room.
The Death Star space battle would be primarily SE, except for the explosion which would be original.
The Award Ceremony would be SE, just because they aren't cardboard cutouts.


ESB

Original version. The whole thing.


ROTJ

Everything would be original up until the new Bantha shot, which would be SE. Then entire ordeal with Jabba's Palace will be original.
Come the end of the film, I would have all the shots of the galaxy-wide celebration, but when It comes back to the Ewoks, they will sing as in the original.


I think I will do this sometime, if I ever want to give Star Wars to a friend.

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Hal 9000I think I will do this sometime, if I ever want to give Star Wars to a friend.


Hey Hal, I'll be your friend .
The original Star Wars trilogy: Our cultural history deserves to be preserved and should be available to the public like all great works of art!
Author
Time
^^^Hehehehehe, yeah. You know what I mean.

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time
Okay... now I'm worried
The original Star Wars trilogy: Our cultural history deserves to be preserved and should be available to the public like all great works of art!
Author
Time
What are you worried about?

I was complimenting you on yer joke there. O_o

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time
Well, not much except for dragging on the gag and being not funny

Saw-ee

Still friends?
The original Star Wars trilogy: Our cultural history deserves to be preserved and should be available to the public like all great works of art!
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: Rebel Scumb
The problem is that simply cutting out Jar jar and Jake Lloyd doesn't really help the movie, and from my viewing of the TPE, it actually hurt the movie as now these two characters seem to come out of nowhere for the final battle.

TPM is not a perfect movie, but its problems lie in the basics of its story, ie: Anakin being 9 years old. No amount of editing will fix that. AOTC on the other hand, can be saved immensely through editing. Though its script was equally if not more problematic, its editing was the real disaster, and a lot of improvements can be made by simply cutting, reinserting and rearranging certain elements.

ie: swapping the meadow picnic with the first kiss scene. Taking out the queen jamilla scene and putting in the padme's family scene.

Quote

Originally posted by: jimbo
Cut out Yodas fight scene! Thats the best part of the saga. The best five minutes in the history of movies. It was brilliant you can cut it out for your stupid little home version but don't try selling a garbage Yoda fight free version of Attack of the Clones.


I cut it out in my version. Yoda walks in, Dooku says ""you have interferred for the last time" then uses the force to knock over the pillar, Yoda uses the force to stop it from crushing Obi-wan and Anakin as Dooku flees.

the movie works MUCH better that way.


In your opinion but never let those horrid Yoda fight free versions in public. Seeing Yoda jump around was the best scene of any movie ever. The theater was chearing when was fighting. It showed why he is the Jedi Master. Just seeing him fight is worth buying the DVD. How can you possibly not love that scene to death?
Author
Time
Quote

Originally posted by: jimbo
Seeing Yoda jump around was the best scene of any movie ever. The theater was chearing when was fighting. It showed why he is the Jedi Master. Just seeing him fight is worth buying the DVD. How can you possibly not love that scene to death?

Yeah, as much as I respect your opinions, Scumb (and I do, believe me), I gotta say that I still do love the Yoda/Dooku fight scene. I can't help myself.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders, the most famous of which is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia'."
--Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), The Princess Bride
-------------------------
Kevin A
Webmaster/Primary Cynic
kapgar.typepad.com
kapgar.com
Author
Time
yes a very good part of the movie never the less what anyone says
Author
Time
Well, to each their own I guess.

But sonic the hedgehog bouncing around like a WB looney-tune escapee, a master jedi does not make (especially one who hobbles around with a cane in the rest of the movie).
The original Star Wars trilogy: Our cultural history deserves to be preserved and should be available to the public like all great works of art!
Author
Time
Yoda is an interesting character because he shows that being a Jedi is more than wielding a lightsaber. It is all about the FORCE. He is small in stature and uses a cane, and teaches us that you can be a powerful Jedi WITHOUT using a lightsaber and being the same size as the rest of the people. He is the ultimate example of big power in a tiny package. He has to be small in order to teach us the concept of the strength of the force. From my point of view, the Yoda fight is blasphemy.
Author
Time
Agreed.

Plus the dooku/yoda battle came out of nowhere, it didn't have any set up
And I dance. And I sing.
And I'm a monkey, in a long line of kings.