Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 MKV IS OUT NOW — Page 517

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Well many BDs come from the same master as their DVD counterparts but that doesn't mean they are the same thing - the resolution is the main difference between the two formats after all.

Like it or not, the policy is that if you want to download an HD restoration, you have to own the BDs and it makes sense because since the added resolution is the main value added for the BDs, acquiring the film in higher than DVD resolution some other way without also buying the official HD release is piracy. 

 In many places its legally piracy even if you do own them. So it becomes more of a moral issue. Which is much less black and white. In fact I could think of one or two reasons why buying the bluray is immoral. But that's a whole discussion on it's own.

That being said. If site ruled state something and the creator of said edit wishes it., you're best off just keeping it to yourself. 

Author
Time

Harmy said:

You should own the official BD in order to download the Despecialized or any restoration or fanedit based off of the BDs!!!

 Done deal.  I just ordered a used Original Trilogy blu-ray set from Amazon.  Thanks again for your good work.

Author
Time

If the rule is you should have the blu-rays before downloading the despecialized editions so that you aren't technically getting something for nothing, then why aren't you supposed to own all the different versions of the movies that were used as sources for the despecialized versions? If you only own the blu-rays, then it could be argued that you're profiting from the piracy of all the releases that aren't blu-rays.

Author
Time

What is this, the "Debate The OT.com Forum Rules" thread?

Author
Time

BobbyDigital said:

If the rule is you should have the blu-rays before downloading the despecialized editions so that you aren't technically getting something for nothing, then why aren't you supposed to own all the different versions of the movies that were used as sources for the despecialized versions? If you only own the blu-rays, then it could be argued that you're profiting from the piracy of all the releases that aren't blu-rays.

 I think there's a major distinction between what Disney/Fox currently have on the shelves for sale, and a rare laserdisc that is 30 years old. 

As for the GOUT, I think there was indeed support (and interest, otherwise) to buy the 2006 DVDs. It's a different story now that it's outdated and marked up. Those extra profits are going to resellers or 'preowners'. 

In the end, however, Frink is right. There is probably another subforum to discuss intricacies on the morality of this stuff (it's a grey area topic, to be sure, and people's perspectives are interesting). Certainly not in the thread of the person creating the edit, and certainly not in response to his request to please buy the damn discs.

Author
Time

towne32 said:

Frink is right.

 Now that you've said it, you can't unsay it.

Author
Time

Yes. It depicts just how obvious the point should be. 

Author
Time

Just also adding my voice to the "Frink is right" corner.

Tell your sister.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

BobbyDigital said:

If the rule is you should have the blu-rays before downloading the despecialized editions so that you aren't technically getting something for nothing, then why aren't you supposed to own all the different versions of the movies that were used as sources for the despecialized versions? If you only own the blu-rays, then it could be argued that you're profiting from the piracy of all the releases that aren't blu-rays.

You might benefit from a read of "What colour are your bits?": http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/entry/23 I misread your post. Sorry.

I doubt that the copyright holder in this case would care that this is a multi-source derivative work. Any case against this would be cut-and-dry enough.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post 102 is worth more.

I’m late to the party, but I think this is the best song. Enjoy!

—Teams Jetrell Fo 1, Jetrell Fo 2, and Jetrell Fo 3

Author
Time

Hi. First of all, thanks for your hard work making this despecialized ed.

I dont know if this has been discussed before, but: Is there a way to burn and play this in a standard-poor-ppl dvd player instead of a blu-ray?

"In J.J. we trust."

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Grab the DVD-5.

 Thanks! n.n I suppose thats also hosted at myspleen right?

"In J.J. we trust."

Author
Time

Isil said:

TV's Frink said:

Grab the DVD-5.

 Thanks! n.n I suppose thats also hosted at myspleen right?

 Yes.

“After a time, you may find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Spock

Author
Time

Thank you. I'll look for it as soon as i get my invitation.

"In J.J. we trust."

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Nocturnaloner said:

It was very easy for me to make a blu-ray, once I got the MKV.  Use tsMuxer to make a BDMV folder, and ImgBurn to burn a single layer blu-ray.  That's it.  The second I was done burning, PowerDVD started playing it.  My Oppo player recognizes it like any other blu-ray, and plays it without a hitch.  It looks and sounds fantastic, even projected on a large screen.

 Thanks for posting that.  When V2.5 first came out, I tried to create a blu-ray ISO using tsMuxer and it didn't work after many tries so I gave up.  Just downloaded the most recent version of tsMuxer and it worked great. 

Author
Time

Can someone here send me an invite to Myspleen, please? I asked on their forum but haven't received one as of yet.


Author
Time

JT 1138 said:

Nocturnaloner said:

It was very easy for me to make a blu-ray, once I got the MKV.  Use tsMuxer to make a BDMV folder, and ImgBurn to burn a single layer blu-ray.  That's it.  The second I was done burning, PowerDVD started playing it.  My Oppo player recognizes it like any other blu-ray, and plays it without a hitch.  It looks and sounds fantastic, even projected on a large screen.

 Thanks for posting that.  When V2.5 first came out, I tried to create a blu-ray ISO using tsMuxer and it didn't work after many tries so I gave up.  Just downloaded the most recent version of tsMuxer and it worked great. 

 Great!  Glad I could help.

Author
Time

Just updating to let everyone know that I've received an invite to Myspleen. Thanks, to those who sent me invites! It's very appreciated.:)


Author
Time

Hi. Sry to bother you again. I've just finished downloading all three movies in DVD-5 but I think they dont have any subs. Is there a way to add subs to the DVD-5 files?

"In J.J. we trust."

Author
Time

Not easily. You could extract the video files, get the subs from Project Threepio, and then use DVD authoring software to make new disc masters.

Author
Time

Trying to post a picture here of my Bluray menu but can't do it :(

Author
Time

bings said:

Trying to post a picture here of my Bluray menu but can't do it :(

 Upload it to a picture sharing site like imgur.

Author
Time

I'm having a problem burning dvd+r dl discs with the despecialized editions. I imported .iso file into Imgburn (actually I think it made me import the mds file) and when I burned the disc it didn't play in my my dvd player. I noticed when I opened it on my computer it just had the .iso image on the disc. Isn't it supposed to convert it to some other format that can play on a dvd player? Since it just copied the .iso file I thought the program thought I was just burning a data disc. But I chose "write image file to disc" in Imgburn. Can anyone give me some help on how to make DVDs of the .iso files that will play in a DVD player? Thanks!

Author
Time

It only plays in BD players, if I'm not mistaken...