Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 642

Author
Time

MusicallyInspired said:

ChainsawAsh said:

TheTrueSpottedfeather said:

I was doing some reading and found this…
“AVCHD is formatted for burning onto a Blu-ray Disk (BD) or even a dual-layer DVD (DVD-DL). This version usually downloads as a .ISO file (often with a .MDS file included). Not all soundtracks and subtitles are included in this version due to BD limitations. See this article to learn how to “mount” the .ISO file on Windows, Mac, or Linux.”

I’d like the MKV with all the features and audio, but if you convert this to AVCHD, it won’t lose the additional commentaries and stuff like that ? No loss of quality ?

AVCHD is a Blu-Ray burned to a DVD9, more or less. Converting the MKV to an 8GB AVCHD will lose quality. Just convert it to a BD25 and burn it to a single-layer Blu-Ray, then you won’t lose quality. Otherwise just download the AVCHD version and burn that to a dual-layer DVD (though it will only play in a Blu-Ray player).

Some DVD players can play AVCHD DVD9 discs can’t they? Probably not many if any, granted.

There’s no logical reason they should, as it is basically Blu-ray structured… I won’t say it is impossible, but certainly it’d be a bit ambitious.

Author
Time

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for what I’m about to say, so if there’s a thread for something like this, please point the way!

Rewatching ESB for probably the 50,000,000th time, I actually noticed something weird about one scene in particular. Right when Darth Vader says “No, I am your father”, pay close attention to him. I can’t really describe what it is, but it’s the way he moves as he says that immortal line. It’s very subtle, but if you look closely, you’ll notice it.

I’m not sure if that’s David Prowse moving with the rushing wind or if it’s something from the editing process. And the only thing that comes to mind seeing him move like this is that it could probably be something called the “forward-reverse technique”. I say that because it reminds me of when the technique was used for the scene in that godawful “Batman & Robin” movie when Robin comes out of the water and goes right back in again. Only with ESB, it wasn’t as colossally (and painfully) obvious.

I don’t know if I’m the only one who sees this or if I’m just rambling about nothing, but if anybody has the answer to this, I sure would appreciate it because I keep thinking it’s a Special Edition change until I watched the Grindhouse Edition and noticed the subtle movement there. So I’m guessing it’s been there since 1980. So really, my question is what the heck it is?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TheTrueSpottedfeather said:

When you DO do whatever it is you’re going to do, you’ll announce where to get them somewhere on this site, I assume ?

yoda-sama said:

don’t ever expect to be told directly where to download such things in this forum, anyone doing so shouldn’t, this is for discussion about these projects, not how and where to get them.

Harmy will likely announce the release of the latest iteration of the DEEDs in these threads as he did for the last release (ROTJ 2.5 on 2/7/16), but there won’t be any download links here.

However, if you notice, that past announcement has the link to

The Ultimate Introductory Guide
(https://goo.gl/1WGHBA)

That guide will have links to the

Multipart RAR Download Links supplemental guide
(https://goo.gl/5Sif60)

which should likely be updated with the new download links you’ll need.

The NJVC Custom Bluray Set of Harmy’s Despecialized Editions is available on Mega.

Go to this thread

Author
Time

KimmieParker said:

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for what I’m about to say, so if there’s a thread for something like this, please point the way!

Rewatching ESB for probably the 50,000,000th time, I actually noticed something weird about one scene in particular. Right when Darth Vader says “No, I am your father”, pay close attention to him. I can’t really describe what it is, but it’s the way he moves as he says that immortal line. It’s very subtle, but if you look closely, you’ll notice it.

I’m not sure if that’s David Prowse moving with the rushing wind or if it’s something from the editing process. And the only thing that comes to mind seeing him move like this is that it could probably be something called the “forward-reverse technique”. I say that because it reminds me of when the technique was used for the scene in that godawful “Batman & Robin” movie when Robin comes out of the water and goes right back in again. Only with ESB, it wasn’t as colossally (and painfully) obvious.

I don’t know if I’m the only one who sees this or if I’m just rambling about nothing, but if anybody has the answer to this, I sure would appreciate it because I keep thinking it’s a Special Edition change until I watched the Grindhouse Edition and noticed the subtle movement there. So I’m guessing it’s been there since 1980. So really, my question is what the heck it is?

I see it. Good eye!

Author
Time

Theres another super obvious one with the sand person standing over Luke, raising his gaffi stick.

Author
Time

yoda-sama said:

TheTrueSpottedfeather said:

I was doing some reading and found this…
“AVCHD is formatted for burning onto a Blu-ray Disk (BD) or even a dual-layer DVD (DVD-DL). This version usually downloads as a .ISO file (often with a .MDS file included). Not all soundtracks and subtitles are included in this version due to BD limitations. See this article to learn how to “mount” the .ISO file on Windows, Mac, or Linux.”

I’d like the MKV with all the features and audio, but if you convert this to AVCHD, it won’t lose the additional commentaries and stuff like that ? No loss of quality ?

If I hadn’t been reading all the other stuff you’ve been going on about I’d be totally, completely lost for your meaning here, but I think I follow… Are you still trying to figure out how to get these movies onto a Blu-ray disc? AVCHD as mentioned in the stuff you’re quoting is referring to the extra-compressed versions of the films that are particularly for those who can’t or won’t burn to Blu-ray, but still want a version of the movie to watch or share on discs, particularly cheaper discs like double layer DVDRs. The mentions of Blu-ray Disc and BD limitations, etc. are in regards to the AVCHD video standard used for the extra-compressed version being structured like Blu-ray and playable only in Blu-ray players despite technically being fit on a double layer DVDR. If you are wanting full quality on a disc and you already have the full quality MKV releases, there are some very simple steps to get it to be ready to burn to a BDR, as the video and audio are already made to be Blu-ray compliant (just have to run it through TSMuxer or some such first). If you want menus or anything fancy, in addition to being full quality, get the NJVC Blu-ray images as we’ve mentioned previously. And no (in reference to what you were asking Harmy earlier), don’t ever expect to be told directly where to download such things in this forum, anyone doing so shouldn’t, this is for discussion about these projects, not how and where to get them.

Yeah. I’m going to do the full quality MKV NJVC custom set…if I can ever manage to get my hands on the equipment needed to do it.

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Please, I don’t want anyone to feel the slightest bit guilty for not donating for any reason!!!
And anyway, I posted the request to FB and we’re already half-way there! 😃

Waiting on an eBay sale to clear, and will be glad to donate!

Bummer to hear about Adobe, but understand the struggle.

Wish I could help with the sheet, but way too much going on right now. Kudos to those chipping in with the help there.

Author
Time

Thank all of you guys so much!!! We’re nearly there! I wanna get cracking on preparing the assets next week, so I’ll be buying the license on Sunday at the latest and by then I should at least have enough that I’d be able to cover anything that’s left myself. 😃
If the donations should reach more than I need for the Adobe CC, I’ll use the rest to buy hard-drives, because I’m planning to work with image sequences this time, which take up a lot of space (can be something like 4TB per movie) but can save a lot of trouble in the editing.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Small donation sent - thank you for all your hard work on this over the years - and good luck with it mate 😃

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?”

“Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?” - Oddball, of The Awkward Squad

Author
Time
 (Edited)

KimmieParker said:

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for what I’m about to say, so if there’s a thread for something like this, please point the way!

Rewatching ESB for probably the 50,000,000th time, I actually noticed something weird about one scene in particular. Right when Darth Vader says “No, I am your father”, pay close attention to him. I can’t really describe what it is, but it’s the way he moves as he says that immortal line. It’s very subtle, but if you look closely, you’ll notice it.

I’m not sure if that’s David Prowse moving with the rushing wind or if it’s something from the editing process. And the only thing that comes to mind seeing him move like this is that it could probably be something called the “forward-reverse technique”. I say that because it reminds me of when the technique was used for the scene in that godawful “Batman & Robin” movie when Robin comes out of the water and goes right back in again. Only with ESB, it wasn’t as colossally (and painfully) obvious.

I don’t know if I’m the only one who sees this or if I’m just rambling about nothing, but if anybody has the answer to this, I sure would appreciate it because I keep thinking it’s a Special Edition change until I watched the Grindhouse Edition and noticed the subtle movement there. So I’m guessing it’s been there since 1980. So really, my question is what the heck it is?

After reading your post, I watched that very scene a dozen times but can’t see it… Vader just nods as he says “No”, and then again when he says “I” - all looks natural enough to me, including the movement of the cape in the wind. Can you be more specific about what looks wrong to you? I’m intrigued!

Bluto

Author
Time
 (Edited)

KimmieParker said:

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for what I’m about to say, so if there’s a thread for something like this, please point the way!

Rewatching ESB for probably the 50,000,000th time, I actually noticed something weird about one scene in particular. Right when Darth Vader says “No, I am your father”, pay close attention to him. I can’t really describe what it is, but it’s the way he moves as he says that immortal line. It’s very subtle, but if you look closely, you’ll notice it.

I’m not sure if that’s David Prowse moving with the rushing wind or if it’s something from the editing process. And the only thing that comes to mind seeing him move like this is that it could probably be something called the “forward-reverse technique”. I say that because it reminds me of when the technique was used for the scene in that godawful “Batman & Robin” movie when Robin comes out of the water and goes right back in again. Only with ESB, it wasn’t as colossally (and painfully) obvious.

I don’t know if I’m the only one who sees this or if I’m just rambling about nothing, but if anybody has the answer to this, I sure would appreciate it because I keep thinking it’s a Special Edition change until I watched the Grindhouse Edition and noticed the subtle movement there. So I’m guessing it’s been there since 1980. So really, my question is what the heck it is?

I’m pretty sure it’s something intentional. I think I read about it somewhere.

JEDIT: https://storify.com/tvaziri/the-rock-and-roll-moment-in-empire

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Thank all of you guys so much!!! We’re nearly there! I wanna get cracking on preparing the assets next week, so I’ll be buying the license on Sunday at the latest and by then I should at least have enough that I’d be able to cover anything that’s left myself. 😃
If the donations should reach more than I need for the Adobe CC, I’ll use the rest to buy hard-drives, because I’m planning to work with image sequences this time, which take up a lot of space (can be something like 4TB per movie) but can save a lot of trouble in the editing.

Check the fine print on what software you buy, I’ve heard that they’ve switched to only offering subscriptions, rather than perpetual licenses. Maybe you can get a slightly older copy of software you can keep… maybe it doesn’t even apply to what you’re using. I don’t know. This is what brought that to mind: https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/01/23/0520227/ask-slashdot-what-is-your-view-on-forced-subscription-only-software

Author
Time

yoda-sama said:

Harmy said:

Thank all of you guys so much!!! We’re nearly there! I wanna get cracking on preparing the assets next week, so I’ll be buying the license on Sunday at the latest and by then I should at least have enough that I’d be able to cover anything that’s left myself. 😃
If the donations should reach more than I need for the Adobe CC, I’ll use the rest to buy hard-drives, because I’m planning to work with image sequences this time, which take up a lot of space (can be something like 4TB per movie) but can save a lot of trouble in the editing.

Check the fine print on what software you buy, I’ve heard that they’ve switched to only offering subscriptions, rather than perpetual licenses. Maybe you can get a slightly older copy of software you can keep… maybe it doesn’t even apply to what you’re using. I don’t know. This is what brought that to mind: https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/01/23/0520227/ask-slashdot-what-is-your-view-on-forced-subscription-only-software

He stated that the sum he posted was for a yearly subscription, so I think he knows. While it would be nice if they still had options to purchase outright, especially for hobbyists, there are certainly benefits to subscription models for professionals and institutions.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Dear Harmy (and the rest of the team),

Congratulations for this incredible work. Your HD original versions of the movies are amazing.

There is only one thing that, in my opinion, spoils all this great work: the subtitles on Greedo scene on SW, and the others on the Jabba Palace scene on ROTJ, especially for non-english spoke people.

So, I’d like to ask you about any cut of the movies without subtitles on movie footage.

Many thanks.

Author
Time

albmm said:

Dear Harmy (and the rest of the team),

Congratulations for this incredible work. Your HD original versions of the movies are amazing.

There is only one thing that, in my opinion, spoils all this great work: the subtitles on Greedo scene on SW, and the others on the Jabba Palace scene on ROTJ, especially for non-english spoke people.

So, I’d like to ask you about any cut of the movies without subtitles on movie footage.

Many thanks.

There is a German Despecialized Edition Trilogy which has German subtitles for the alien speech in Star Wars and Return of the Jedi. The German version of The Empire Strikes Back even had minor improvements from Harmy’s version.
There is also a French Despecialized Edition Trilogy but only Star Wars is finished as of now.

And since the Blu-rays have removable subtitles for these scenes, even if the theatrical versions have the subtitles.

I think a Despecialized Edition without subtitles for the alien speech would go against the purpose of the Despecialized Edition’s mission.

And I’ve loved every pixel of it.
(Clarissa Darling, Clarissa Explains It All)

You’re so right.
(Kylo Ren, Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

Author
Time

Swift S. Lawliet said:

I think a Despecialized Edition without subtitles for the alien speech would go against the purpose of the Despecialized Edition’s mission.

Indeed. I completely understand the desire to have it look right in one’s native language. But a good amount of work went into the making and rendering of the text by (at least) Harmy, Catbus, and me. And it can’t be pulled off as effectively with a subtitle stream alone.

Maybe Catbus can answer: Are there packs of subtitles available for just the Greedo text (presumably rendered in the top portion of the screen) that people could mux in with their dub of choice?

Author
Time

towne32 said:

Swift S. Lawliet said:

I think a Despecialized Edition without subtitles for the alien speech would go against the purpose of the Despecialized Edition’s mission.

Indeed. I completely understand the desire to have it look right in one’s native language. But a good amount of work went into the making and rendering of the text by (at least) Harmy, Catbus, and me. And it can’t be pulled off as effectively with a subtitle stream alone.

Maybe Catbus can answer: Are there packs of subtitles available for just the Greedo text (presumably rendered in the top portion of the screen) that people could mux in with their dub of choice?

Or… we could dive down the seamless branching rabbit hole!

Author
Time

Bluto said:
After reading your post, I watched that very scene a dozen times but can’t see it… Vader just nods as he says “No”, and then again when he says “I” - all looks natural enough to me, including the movement of the cape in the wind. Can you be more specific about what looks wrong to you? I’m intrigued!

Bluto

yhwx’s response was enough to help solve that mystery. Check it out:

yhwx said:

I’m pretty sure it’s something intentional. I think I read about it somewhere.

JEDIT: https://storify.com/tvaziri/the-rock-and-roll-moment-in-empire

Author
Time
 (Edited)

towne32 said:

Swift S. Lawliet said:

I think a Despecialized Edition without subtitles for the alien speech would go against the purpose of the Despecialized Edition’s mission.

Indeed. I completely understand the desire to have it look right in one’s native language. But a good amount of work went into the making and rendering of the text by (at least) Harmy, Catbus, and me. And it can’t be pulled off as effectively with a subtitle stream alone.

Maybe Catbus can answer: Are there packs of subtitles available for just the Greedo text (presumably rendered in the top portion of the screen) that people could mux in with their dub of choice?

Actually, most dubs just dub over the Greedo and Jabba lines, so no subtitles are needed in those languages. For a few languages, though, they do not dub over those lines, so those lines would need to be subtitled.

Project Threepio includes “titles only” subtitles in these languages, which subtitle only the Jabba/Greedo lines, and/or the crawl and other onscreen text like the tractor beam controls. They are designed to go with the English video and the dub. To work around conflicts with onscreen text, the subtitles are shifted to the top of the frame (so for Greedo/Jabba, you’d have two sets of subtitles, with the one in your language at the top of the screen). It’s not ideal, but it works to provide subtitles without compromising the theatrical fidelity of the Despecialized Editions. As far as I know, these movies were never shown theatrically without some sort of burnt-in subtitles during the Greedo/Jabba scenes.

Utilities are included with Project Threepio to shift these subtitles back down to the bottom of the frame, to accompany subtitle-free video, but you’d have to get the subtitle-free video elsewhere. Also, for a few lucky languages, we have subtitles designed to match the font, size, and placement and exact original text of the subtitles that ran theatrically in those countries, wherever we have a reference. But again, you have to provide the subtitle-free video to overlay them onto (or just get the German/French/Italian versions of the trilogy when they’re available).

If you’re curious, download the complete Project Threepio. It’s a lot more than just a bunch of SRT files. Follow the link in my signature for the project discussion thread.

EDIT: yoda-sama is right. Seamless branching is the only technically correct way to address this problem, allowing theatrically faithful burnt-in subtitles for some viewers and not others. But it’s very hard to do right, and we have plenty of projects that simply do alternate video altogether to achieve the same thing.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Actually, with the new, slightly altered, mission statement of making v3.0 something like what a proper official BD release of the unaltered versions would look like, I was thinking about using soft subs, which would match the theatricals as close as possible in shape and size (can subtitles be rendered from images - I mean, if I cut the subs directly from one frame of a 35mm scan, could that be turned into a soft sub?) and have seamless branching for the crawls/credits of the foreign language versions.
Alternatively, seamless branching could be used for the subs as well and should be easy enough to do for Greedo but for Jabba, i would be a pain in the a.

I’m hoping to work directly with NJVC for the official release this time, so it would depend on what he thinks he could pull off.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sounds reasonable enough to me. I like our burnt in sub work with gate weave and all. but it’s not really how a BD release would ever look.

Soft subs would end up looking like the TFA subs, more or less (though surely better), which look professional, fine, and close enough in spirit.

Seamless branching would open up a whole ton of playback and compatibility issues for some people. I still see the occasional post here from someone struggling to convert the SSE to mkv with just one of the branch options, or getting playback hiccups at the branch point, etc.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

In Finland practically all foreign language live action movies and TV shows are subtitled.
Being Finnish I am very much used to sometimes having two subtitles on the screen at the same time. It only bothers me if I can’t see the original english subtitle at the same time. I wan’t to be able to see that the translation isn’t botched 😃

I for one would hate to lose the original burnt in Greedo/Jabba subtitles.

edit: also I can’t figure out how a few burnt in subtitles could possibly “spoil all this great work”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I cannot STAND soft subtitles. But it’s your decision obviously on which you want to use. But consider this, TFA has burned-in subtitles not soft subtitles. So it IS something an official Bluray would do, is it not?

Author
Time

I would like to repeat the sentiments shared by the others in questioning the value of soft subs. The burned-in subs are perfect, and I would hate to have to put up with something that simply emulates perfection, which by definition would be less than perfect.

Author
Time

MusicallyInspired said:

I cannot STAND soft subtitles. But it’s your decision obviously on which you want to use. But consider this, TFA has burned-in subtitles not soft subtitles. So it IS something an official Bluray would do, is it not?

I think an official blu-ray may or may not have burnt in subtitles. But they wouldn’t have the gate weave, slight blurring, etc.

I like and prefer our burnt in subs, but I can see the reasoning either way. Still, for languages that don’t translate Greedo’s speech, a second set of subtitles at the top of the screen shouldn’t ‘ruin’ the film any more than the dub not matching characters lips does.