Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 620

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Fang Zei said:

chyron8472 said:

jedimasterobiwan said:

I hope it doesn’t make all the star wars fan edits not be available anymore. 😦

George Lucas himself had long since known about fan edits. When asked about it in an interview, he said, while bitter about people doing it, he just cared that he had his version with his name on it (the article in question was actually about SW:Revisited).

Disney has had more than enough opportunity now to drop the hammer down on fan projects, but they haven’t. I was just saying, and I stress hypothetically, that making it too easy can bring it more mainstream, which has the hypothetical capacity to annoy them into action.

I also doubt a small handful of third party sellers on eBay are on Disney’s radar.

Disney hasn’t dropped the hammer because they realize they have no one but themselves to blame for Harmy’s efforts over the last four years even being necessary.

Actually, Fox owns permanent distribution rights of A New Hope (or “Star Wars”, actually). George sold it to them, so long as he had full rights of any merchadising and control over any sequels, in exchange for Fox’s agreement to produce the first film. That means if Disney is to officially release a pre-SE A New Hope, they have to agree to buy or lease distribution of it from Fox.

Yeah, good luck with that.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Fang Zei said:

chyron8472 said:

jedimasterobiwan said:

I hope it doesn’t make all the star wars fan edits not be available anymore. 😦

George Lucas himself had long since known about fan edits. When asked about it in an interview, he said, while bitter about people doing it, he just cared that he had his version with his name on it (the article in question was actually about SW:Revisited).

Disney has had more than enough opportunity now to drop the hammer down on fan projects, but they haven’t. I was just saying, and I stress hypothetically, that making it too easy can bring it more mainstream, which has the hypothetical capacity to annoy them into action.

I also doubt a small handful of third party sellers on eBay are on Disney’s radar.

Disney hasn’t dropped the hammer because they realize they have no one but themselves to blame for Harmy’s efforts over the last four years even being necessary.

Actually, Fox owns permanent distribution rights of A New Hope (or “Star Wars”, actually). George sold it to them, so long as he had full rights of any merchadising and control over any sequels, in exchange for Fox’s agreement to produce the first film. That means if Disney is to officially release a pre-SE A New Hope, they have to agree to buy or lease distribution of it from Fox.

Yeah, good luck with that.

While all that is true, I don’t think there is any reason to assume that it is actually a hurdle. Anyway, this has been discussed endlessly in other threads.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

towne32 said:

this has been discussed endlessly in other threads.

Yes. I’m just saying they do not have “no” excuse; just a bothersome bureaucratic one.

EDIT: Oh, and thank God for Harmy and all you guys who work on this project too. Seriously. I think Adywan will get done with Jedi:Revisited before Disney releases an official HD version, whatever the excuse they have.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Three words: Plex Media Server.

There are Plex clients for numerous different set-top and mobile streaming devices, including PS3.

I’m glad you mentioned those three words. The Plex GUI is so pretty with the little posters and all. I could not get it to work with PS3, but with android devices and Chromecast Ultra, there’s no need for PS3 anymore.

Cheers!

Author
Time

Harmy, hairy_hen and all who contributed to this so far, just wanted to say Thank you for the great work. Having the StarWars movies finally available in acceptable quality and untampered is really precious.
I guess most of us would be willing to fork out insane money to have an official 4k BR release with the extras to go with that, so this is a great appetizer for something that might very possibly never come. However, I can now go back to experience the movies just like back when I was a kid, and that is absolutely priceless.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Rask40 said:

chyron8472 said:

Three words: Plex Media Server.

There are Plex clients for numerous different set-top and mobile streaming devices, including PS3.

I’m glad you mentioned those three words. The Plex GUI is so pretty with the little posters and all. I could not get it to work with PS3, but with android devices and Chromecast Ultra, there’s no need for PS3 anymore.

Cheers!

You have an entry for each fan edit. I used to do that but lately I just have one entry for each film, set my preferred version as the main file, and have the rest listed as featurettes.

…and I agree; I don’t use my PS3 anymore for movies or TV shows. I use my Roku instead.

Sorry if this is off-topic discussion.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bobby-ORT said:

I guess most of us would be willing to fork out insane money to have an official 4k BR release with the extras to go with that

With the bitrate at which Harmy releases the 720p Despecialized Edition nearly filling up a BD25, it makes me wonder what the filesize would be for a 4K version of a similar bitrate.

…not that I care about 4K, myself. I just wonder.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Bobby-ORT said:

I guess most of us would be willing to fork out insane money to have an official 4k BR release with the extras to go with that

With the bitrate at which Harmy releases the 720p Despecialized Edition nearly filling up a BD25, it makes me wonder what the filesize would be for a 4K version of a similar bitrate.

…not that I care about 4K, myself. I just wonder.

4k uses a different codec.

Author
Time

Hey, what about the 3.0, will be released on the 3 first movies?

Author
Time

The current plan has Empire 2.5 first, then 3.0 for the trilogy (order of films not yet determined, but I’m guessing Star Wars gets priority for 3.0 due to the already damn near perfection of the others).

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

Will 3.0 of Star Wars still use “recreations” of the shots that were altered or will Harmy be using the available 35mm print scans?

Author
Time

Only Harmy can say for sure, but he has said he’s not likely to do an all-film-sourced DeEd, because at that point, lots of others could do that work (although I’d personally still encourage him to go for it, because he has demonstrated solid skills beyond despecializing). I expect we’ll see something more like Jedi 2.5, where lots of pure film footage was mixed in, but only where it blended well with the surrounding footage. I’m sure film sources will be heavily used in despecializing Blu-ray footage though. Complete lack of GOUT is a pretty safe bet though.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

CatBus said:
Only Harmy can say for sure, but he has said he’s not likely to do an all-film-sourced DeEd, because at that point, lots of others could do that work (although I’d personally still encourage him to go for it, because he has demonstrated solid skills beyond despecializing). I expect we’ll see something more like Jedi 2.5, where lots of pure film footage was mixed in, but only where it blended well with the surrounding footage. I’m sure film sources will be heavily used in despecializing Blu-ray footage though. Complete lack of GOUT is a pretty safe bet though.

I think DeEd v2+ is already GOUT free.

…I think. I remember Harmy saying he left in a single GOUT source in one shot in homage to the history of the project, but I don’t remember what it was.


Harmy, will you please consider doing an editor’s commentary track? Maybe you could get other people who helped with aspects of the project in on it.

I know we’ve mentioned that before, but it really would be fascinating.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Harmy, will you please consider doing an editor’s commentary track? Maybe you could get other people who helped with aspects of the project in on it.

I know we’ve mentioned that before, but it really would be fascinating.

That would be great and really interesting.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Blackout said:

chyron8472 said:

I think DeEd v2+ is already GOUT free.

Star Wars still has some GOUT.

Are you sure? I thought he replaced it all with TN1 scans at least by v2.5.
And the scene that was intentionally left GOUT I think is in Return of the Jedi. Like the shot where Boba Fett flies across the screen before smashing into the barge or something like that.

TV’s Frink said:

chyron just put a big Ric pic in your sig and be done with it.

Author
Time

I guess my main question - and I’ll try to word it better this time - is whether Harmy will still be using “recreated” shots (like he did with the dewback outside the cantina) or if he’s going to keep that kind of thing to an absolute minimum.

I understand that the majority (the roughly 80% of the film that remains unaltered) will be sourced from the blu-ray. But what I’m wondering is if the newly available print scans will fill in all the missing pieces or if Harmy will still need to do some recreating like he did with that dewback shot.

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Blackout said:

chyron8472 said:

I think DeEd v2+ is already GOUT free.

Star Wars still has some GOUT.

Are you sure? I thought he replaced it all with TN1 scans at least by v2.5.
And the scene that was intentionally left GOUT I think is in Return of the Jedi. Like the shot where Boba Fett flies across the screen before smashing into the barge or something like that.

All of the SW releases still have plenty of GOUT. TN1 did not have any kind of full release like they do now, when Harmy did 2.5. Much of his 35mm work in that film is from selections of frames, as I understand it. He does have some 35mm sequences, as you see in Mos Eisley. For 2.7, I did replace much of the longer GOUT sequences with TN1’s. But there are still plenty left, especially in the Battle of Yavin. Pretty much anything of Harmy’s that contained composited GOUT material, and not whole shots of GOUT, would remain as well.

You’re right about Jedi 2.5, and I believe the same is the plan for ESB 2.5. There just wasn’t the same material available for SW 2.5.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Fang Zei said:

I guess my main question - and I’ll try to word it better this time - is whether Harmy will still be using “recreated” shots (like he did with the dewback outside the cantina) or if he’s going to keep that kind of thing to an absolute minimum.

I understand that the majority (the roughly 80% of the film that remains unaltered) will be sourced from the blu-ray. But what I’m wondering is if the newly available print scans will fill in all the missing pieces or if Harmy will still need to do some recreating like he did with that dewback shot.

I can’t see how he wouldn’t keep it to a minimum. If we’d had adequate film footage back when 2.5 was released, I doubt that would have been done in the first place.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

In v2.5 of Star Wars, there’s a lot of GOUT sourced stuff left. Like others said before, at the time I made it, there were only a few sample clips available from TN1 but most of the footage still had to be sourced from video sources, either the GOUT or the 97SEs, and there were a few specific cases, where there were only high-def still frames available, like the Dewback shot in front of the cantina. Now that we have full 35mm HD scans available, there 's no need to use the GOUT but the 35mm scans are often still nowhere near the quality of the BD, since that was sourced from the o-neg, so unless I get lazy, I will still be mixing the 35mm scans with the BD footage to paint out the changes in shots where only a small portion of the frame was altered in the SE, like the Ronto shots or the cell block corridor extension.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Harmy said:

I will still be mixing the 35mm scans with the BD footage to paint out the changes in shots where only a small portion of the frame was altered in the SE, like the Ronto shots or the cell block corridor extension.

That´s great to hear, I guess the chances of film dupes surfacing that might be of significantly better quality than the reels that were used for the available scans right now would be slim to none - Then obviously poita´s work looks promising as well…
Is there a way to kinda automate the rotoscoping actions you need to apply to the BR footage, so as to have the possibility of more or less easily replacing the SE parts by better material that might become available in the future?

Author
Time

I have never been able to see anything wrong with the GOUT. Could somebody tell me what the big deal is?