Sign In

Harmy's STAR WARS Despecialized Edition HD - V2.7 - MKV (Released) — Page 571

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hi all,

I’m trying to get a true version of Harmy’s DE to keep me company over Christmas (it’s a lonely time with no family). I don’t have an account with MySpleen, so I’m forced to trawl through the many different copies on the various torrent sites out there. I just want to make sure I download one that doesn’t compromise Harmy’s original artistic intent.

Thanks,
Eric

Author
Time

Yes it is. And now please edit your post and delete the direct link and then go read the forum rules 😉

Author
Time

Whoa thanks Harmy. Look forward to viewing your work (once this torrent has a better share ratio).

Author
Time

Well, I think the point is that Harmy’s not shooting for any aesthetic other than “what it looked like in 1977”. So if it looked like a Technicolor trainwreck with inconsistent skin tones back then, success means that’s what it’ll look like here. If Han’s shirt was yellow in one scene and white in another in 1977 (which would be pretty normal due to interior lighting differences), correcting that would be revisionist.

I am assuming Harmy’s likely to use his professional scan of a low-fade theatrical print as a reference, like he dd with 2.5, but with a little more leeway around correction, since that reference wasn’t fully corrected, and with better tools for making all the various sources match that color timing, instead of eyeballing it and settling for close enough in many cases. If that’s the case, 3.x will look a lot closer to 2.5 than any home video presentation, simply because 2.5 got closer to theatrical colors than any home video presentation. But there’s always room for improvement.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

Hey, quick question. There’s a pretty abrupt cut right at 27:44. Does anyone know if that’s intended (part of the theatrical release), a bug with the release, or unrecognized (a problem on my end)?

Author
Time

hi,
new member,
this is probably a really rookie question,
but i saw that there may be versions of these with a menu made for blu-ray,
i understand that it would take loads and loads of time but i was just wanting to know if it had been done yet or if it is still a work in progress 😃

Author
Time

I just heard from the guy working on it for me after a not having heard from him for a while and he says it’s almost done but can’t guarantee it will be out for x-mas.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

joshuar said:

Hey, quick question. There’s a pretty abrupt cut right at 27:44. Does anyone know if that’s intended (part of the theatrical release), a bug with the release, or unrecognized (a problem on my end)?

When one of the sandpeople is handing a gun to another and it cuts to another shot? That was there before, in the laderdisc etc. Looks the same here, doesn’t seem unusual to me.

Author
Time

Hi all. I’m new to the DS movies’ existence (just heard about) and wow I’m impressed with what looks like a lot of work being done. Thanks so much! Looking forward to hopefully watching these in the near future.

I have just two questions hopefully you can help with:

  1. I saw recently that there are plans for v3.0 of the movies. Is there any way to guess when these might be finished? Being foreign to this whole DS project I just have no idea if this is something like a few weeks or a few months or a year from now kind of thing.

  2. I heard that episodes 1-3 were also tinkered with. Have they been tinkered with enough to warrant the need for a “DS” equivalent? And does a widely accepted DS version exist and where? Or should I just get the Blu-Ray versions?

Thanks!

Author
Time

TheBardXWM said:

  1. I saw recently that there are plans for v3.0 of the movies. Is there any way to guess when these might be finished? Being foreign to this whole DS project I just have no idea if this is something like a few weeks or a few months or a year from now kind of thing.

Just don’t expect it anytime soon.

  1. I heard that episodes 1-3 were also tinkered with. Have they been tinkered with enough to warrant the need for a “DS” equivalent? And does a widely accepted DS version exist and where? Or should I just get the Blu-Ray versions?

Valeyard/RU.08 is working on a 1080p theatrical recreation of Episode I, which looks very promising and is close to completion.

A theatrical Episode II as we know it does not exist, so just rely on the HDTV version since it’s the closest thing.

Episode III only has one “change” in the form of that infamous wipe transition, so either the DVD/HDTV (does not have the wipe) or Blu-ray version (does) will do for watching it just to watch it. Schorman is working on a “theatrical” version of it, but I’m not really sure how different or unique it will be from official releases besides the wipe.

Jedi Master Skywalker said:
Btw I have started a petition:
https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-the-release-of-the-unaltered-cut-of-star-wars-in-4k/
Please sign
towne32 said:
They should build a whole website and forum based off a petition like this.

Author
Time

clutchins said:

A theatrical Episode II as we know it does not exist, so just rely on the HDTV version since it’s the closest thing.

Episode III only has one “change” in the form of that infamous wipe transition, so either the DVD/HDTV (does not have the wipe) or Blu-ray version (does) will do for watching it just to watch it. Schorman is working on a “theatrical” version of it, but I’m not really sure how different or unique it will be from official releases besides the wipe.

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the difference between the DVD and HDTV version?

Author
Time

First, thanks for this labor of love. It’s really amazing the time and effort put into restoring something that should never have needed restoring. It’s awesome!

As I’m new here, I haven’t read through all 571 pages, but I was curious if there was any mention about ghost Chewy in ‘A New Hope’. At 1:24:35-1:24:38 during the Death Star escape, Chewbacca goes alpha transparent for a few frames. I’m sure I’m not the first to notice it. It seems to be on the Blurays as well. Anyone know the story behind that?

Author
Time

Harmy said:

I just heard from the guy working on it for me after a not having heard from him for a while and he says it’s almost done but can’t guarantee it will be out for x-mas.

Blu-ray update, since it came up:

While I tried real damn hard to get a Blu-ray ready in time for Christmas, it looks like that’s not gonna pan out (I underestimated just how long it would take to get all the menus set up; since it all has to be done from scratch in Photoshop that means having to make all 3 states for every single button (normal, selected, activated), including all 48 chapter point buttons (I used all the same chapters from the 2004 DVD release apart from the two scenes that don’t exist in this version. Some may say that’s too many chapters, I say too bad because I did it anyway))

Because I intended this to be a Christmas gift, I’ve been working on an English-only version first. Since I STILL intend for these to be gifts (I’ll just have to mail them), I’ll be finishing that up first, and then focusing on the full/international version after that, since that’ll take some tinkering to get as many audio/subtitle tracks to fit as it’ll let me.

I’ll be getting back home late at night on the 26th and will resume Blu-ray work the next morning. I don’t want to say that I’d GUARANTEE that the English-only version will be up on the Spleen by the end of the month but I’m pretty confident in it.

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time

Hi! Brand new here and I’m a complete novice when it comes to downloaders and rar’s and all that stuff.
What do I do next? I have jdownloader 2, and I have 37 separate rar files of Star Wars sitting in my downloads folder.
I also have a folder that has a file that appears to be the complete film, but with no sound. What do I do next?
It’s a .mkv file.
I hope someone here can help. Thanks very much.

Author
Time

clutchins said:

TheBardXWM said:

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the difference between the DVD and HDTV version?

Resolution

Sorry I wasn’t clear, what format is HDTV? I know there are DVD and Bou-Ray discs you can buy but I haven’t heard of an HDTV format disc before.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TheBardXWM said:

clutchins said:

TheBardXWM said:

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the difference between the DVD and HDTV version?

Resolution

Sorry I wasn’t clear, what format is HDTV? I know there are DVD and Bou-Ray discs you can buy but I haven’t heard of an HDTV format disc before.

There are multiple formats that display HD video, but the answer really is “resolution”

Wikipedia said:
While there is no standardized meaning for high-definition, generally any video image with considerably >more than 480 horizontal lines (North America) or 576 horizontal lines (Europe) is considered high->definition.

DVD resolution is 720x480 for NTSC, and 720x576 for PAL, so HD is anything at a higher resolution than that.

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time

HDTV=High Definition Tele Vision. It’s recorded from a tv-broadcast.

“Stargazing wizards, stare into the night,
Hurricanes and blizzards, here comes the final fight”

Author
Time

Stylistic question for Harmy:

There are spaces to include a loading screen as well as an image that appears on the Playstation 3 menu whenever you have the disc in your system. Currently I have both of those set to be this image from the OP:

01%2Bv2.5

Is there anything else you’d rather I use or will that work?

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time

That works just fine. But did you use that animated poster background I sent you?

Author
Time

I hate to keep belaboring this question but where would you find such an HDTV version?

Author
Time

Nanner Split said:

…then focusing on the full/international version after that, since that’ll take some tinkering to get as many audio/subtitle tracks to fit as it’ll let me.

I think we already covered this before, but I wanted to remind you just in case it makes menu authoring easier. The “titles” subtitles shouldn’t actually be visible on the subtitles menu. When you select a dub, the corresponding “titles” subtitles should just get auto-selected.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Harmy said:

That works just fine. But did you use that animated poster background I sent you?

Yes, but that’s for the actual menu. The PS3 icon and loading screen can only be static images (well, the loading screen can be two images that alternate back and forth but it doesn’t look very good)

CatBus said:

Nanner Split said:

…then focusing on the full/international version after that, since that’ll take some tinkering to get as many audio/subtitle tracks to fit as it’ll let me.

I think we already covered this before, but I wanted to remind you just in case it makes menu authoring easier. The “titles” subtitles shouldn’t actually be visible on the subtitles menu. When you select a dub, the corresponding “titles” subtitles should just get auto-selected.

I have those titles set to automatically be on when the corresponding dub track is selected, but I also included them in the menu so that if someone turned them off they would have a way to turn them back on again (I mean, they COULD turn them back on by swapping to another audio track and back again but that probably wouldn’t be immediately obvious).

http://i.imgur.com/7N84TM8.jpg

Author
Time

Works for me. As long as people don’t have to enable them by hand under most circumstances.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)