Sign In

Harmy's RETURN OF THE JEDI Despecialized Edition HD - V2.5 - AVCHD DVD9 & NTSC DVD5 (Released) — Page 115

Author
Time

Well, actually an iPhone 6 probably has higher screen resolution than 720p, so for that I guess you’d actually be upscaling.

Author
Time

ROFLRICK said:

That’s what it’s all about. I’m pretty excited to show my as yet non-existent children Star Wars–someday!

I burn the AVCHD versions to DL-DVDs and am as happy as a clam. They look great on my 50" television. I use the DVD-5 version to create tablet rips with Handbrake. I should have been a little more patient, waited for the DVD-5 to hit the Spleen (no one is forcing me to use JDownloader, after all!) but ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars film. I’m excited, and I want every possible version of these preservations…

Also, thanks again for your help. It’ll be finished downloading shortly.

I agree - it was a great moment in their life (and mine to introduce them to the movies). My motivation for finding Harmy was showing them the 2004 SW - and my wife and I both cringing at the CGI and Han shooting second. From that moment on I was on a mission - little did I know I lived under a rock. LOL. I still laugh at my daughter being disappointed that Leia chose Han…we had to have that talk about brother and sister relationships. It was too cute. You will be there someday too. I just have the benefit of taking them to the new ones in the theaters too!

Can you explain to me a little more what you are doing with the DVD5 versions - you’re creating files for you iPhpne? How does that work? I’ve got the iPhone 6S Plus.

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Well, actually an iPhone 6 probably has higher screen resolution than 720p, so for that I guess you’d actually be upscaling.

There you have a point. Although, I’ve never seen the use of 1080p on a 4.7" display! It’s my hope to make BD-25 versions in the near future.

Harmy, have you ever given though to compiling the extras you’ve created as a burnable DVD-DL? Creating ‘2-Disc Special Edition’ versions, as it were?

Author
Time

dogdoctor said:

ROFLRICK said:

That’s what it’s all about. I’m pretty excited to show my as yet non-existent children Star Wars–someday!

I burn the AVCHD versions to DL-DVDs and am as happy as a clam. They look great on my 50" television. I use the DVD-5 version to create tablet rips with Handbrake. I should have been a little more patient, waited for the DVD-5 to hit the Spleen (no one is forcing me to use JDownloader, after all!) but ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars film. I’m excited, and I want every possible version of these preservations…

Also, thanks again for your help. It’ll be finished downloading shortly.

I agree - it was a great moment in their life (and mine to introduce them to the movies). My motivation for finding Harmy was showing them the 2004 SW - and my wife and I both cringing at the CGI and Han shooting second. From that moment on I was on a mission - little did I know I lived under a rock. LOL. I still laugh at my daughter being disappointed that Leia chose Han…we had to have that talk about brother and sister relationships. It was too cute. You will be there someday too. I just have the benefit of taking them to the new ones in the theaters too!

Can you explain to me a little more what you are doing with the DVD5 versions - you’re creating files for you iPhpne? How does that work? I’ve got the iPhone 6S Plus.

Sure! I open the VIDEO_TS folders in Handbrake, and then create versions that can, A) be played via USB on my Sony BD player, and B) load on my iPhone 6.

I utilize the following settings:

[VIDEO OPTIONS]

MP4 File
Average Bitrate (kbps): 2800
2-Pass Encoding

Paste this in additional options: cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0😒ubq=6

(That code string apparently helps to quell the issues with how reds bloom more when compressed, or some such thing! But use it, it does improve the picture I believe.)

[AUDIO OPTIONS]

You will have two tracks; the first will be what allows the file to play with audio on an iPhone, the second is a 5.1 pass-through (totally optional, but I like even my movies played through USB to have surround audio)

TRACK 1

Codec: AAC Core Audio - Mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II - Sample Rate: Auto - Bitrate: 160

TRACK 2

Codec: AC3 - Mixdown: 5.1 Channels - Sample Rate: Auto - Bitrate: 640 (or 448, whatevs.)

And name the chapters if you’re feeling crazy–they appear when the file is played on the iPhone, which is fun.

That’s the long and short of it. This method yields files that look great (as great as up-converted DVDs can) on my 50" television. I actually watched my rip of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. last night, and it looked great.

Let me know if you have questions!

Author
Time

ROFLRICK said:

dogdoctor said:

ROFLRICK said:

That’s what it’s all about. I’m pretty excited to show my as yet non-existent children Star Wars–someday!

I burn the AVCHD versions to DL-DVDs and am as happy as a clam. They look great on my 50" television. I use the DVD-5 version to create tablet rips with Handbrake. I should have been a little more patient, waited for the DVD-5 to hit the Spleen (no one is forcing me to use JDownloader, after all!) but ROTJ is my favorite Star Wars film. I’m excited, and I want every possible version of these preservations…

Also, thanks again for your help. It’ll be finished downloading shortly.

I agree - it was a great moment in their life (and mine to introduce them to the movies). My motivation for finding Harmy was showing them the 2004 SW - and my wife and I both cringing at the CGI and Han shooting second. From that moment on I was on a mission - little did I know I lived under a rock. LOL. I still laugh at my daughter being disappointed that Leia chose Han…we had to have that talk about brother and sister relationships. It was too cute. You will be there someday too. I just have the benefit of taking them to the new ones in the theaters too!

Can you explain to me a little more what you are doing with the DVD5 versions - you’re creating files for you iPhpne? How does that work? I’ve got the iPhone 6S Plus.

Sure! I open the VIDEO_TS folders in Handbrake, and then create versions that can, A) be played via USB on my Sony BD player, and B) load on my iPhone 6.

I utilize the following settings:

[VIDEO OPTIONS]

MP4 File
Average Bitrate (kbps): 2800
2-Pass Encoding

Paste this in additional options: cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:weightp=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0😒ubq=6

(That code string apparently helps to quell the issues with how reds bloom more when compressed, or some such thing! But use it, it does improve the picture I believe.)

[AUDIO OPTIONS]

You will have two tracks; the first will be what allows the file to play with audio on an iPhone, the second is a 5.1 pass-through (totally optional, but I like even my movies played through USB to have surround audio)

TRACK 1

Codec: AAC Core Audio - Mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II - Sample Rate: Auto - Bitrate: 160

TRACK 2

Codec: AC3 - Mixdown: 5.1 Channels - Sample Rate: Auto - Bitrate: 640 (or 448, whatevs.)

And name the chapters if you’re feeling crazy–they appear when the file is played on the iPhone, which is fun.

That’s the long and short of it. This method yields files that look great (as great as up-converted DVDs can) on my 50" television. I actually watched my rip of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. last night, and it looked great.

Let me know if you have questions!

EDIT: I realize this is wildly off-topic. My apologies.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I used Handbrake on my Mac and re-encoded the MKV to MP4. From there I used a some freeware - Subler (awesome program) to import metadata (gives you a movie description and attaches it to the file). After you add this you choose your artwork (provides many options) and it attaches it to the file. Hit save. Hit optimize. Hit Send To iTunes. Then it will be syncable with your iPhone thru iTunes and will place it in your Videos app along with all your other movies/purchases.

I have SW 2.5, ESB 2.0 and ROTJ 2.5 all on my iPhone 6 using the steps above and they look absolutely incredible. I may throw together a YouTube tutorial if it would be helpful to ppl.

EDIT: also off topic. My apologies. If you want more info PM me

Author
Time

@ROFLRICK - So when you compress movies with those settings, about how big are your files, generally? I only ask because while I can play video files on my BD player via USB, it only has a 4 GB limit.

Author
Time

ROFLRICK said:

I know ripping from the VIDEO_TS folder isn’t optimal, but when I attempt to re-encode the larger versions, the resulting file is usually corrupted, or the process itself bombs my Mac. The tablet rips are used primarily on my iPhone 6, while the VIDEO_TS will go straight to a DVD-5 for viewing on an old Panasonic 13" CRT television.

check your PM

Author
Time

nafroe said:

@ROFLRICK - So when you compress movies with those settings, about how big are your files, generally? I only ask because while I can play video files on my BD player via USB, it only has a 4 GB limit.

That’s the problem with the NTFS file size limit… The files are generally around 2.8gb to 3.0gb, less if I remove the 5.1 audio track.

Author
Time

ROFLRICK said:

nafroe said:

@ROFLRICK - So when you compress movies with those settings, about how big are your files, generally? I only ask because while I can play video files on my BD player via USB, it only has a 4 GB limit.

That’s the problem with the NTFS file size limit… The files are generally around 2.8gb to 3.0gb, less if I remove the 5.1 audio track.

You mean the FAT32 file size limit.

Author
Time

stretch009 said:

ROFLRICK said:

nafroe said:

@ROFLRICK - So when you compress movies with those settings, about how big are your files, generally? I only ask because while I can play video files on my BD player via USB, it only has a 4 GB limit.

That’s the problem with the NTFS file size limit… The files are generally around 2.8gb to 3.0gb, less if I remove the 5.1 audio track.

You mean the FAT32 file size limit.

Here I stand–sit, rather–corrected.

Author
Time

Finally got this download to work and it looks fantastic. No more Sarlacc tentacles, no more bitchy Vader screams, no more Hayden. Great job, Harmy.

Author
Time

Star Wars Despecialized Editions, where less is more.

Author
Time

Finally had a chance to check back in after a busy month of work for me, glad 2.5 is out in the wild and although I haven’t watched it in its entirety yet I’m sure the work is stellar as usual. Much appreciation as always to Harmy and everyone involved!

Author
Time

Now posting in Usenet group alt.binaries.starwars
Subject: Harmy’s Despecialized ROTJ v2.5 AVCHD
Subject: Harmy’s Despecialized ROTJ v2.5 DVD by Chewtobacca
.
Beware st00pid binsearch is showing both together in the same collection
despite having different subjects and different rar names (albeit similar.)

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time

I completely understand if you choose to remain silent on this question, Harmy. But I’ve been wondering (as I’m sure many have) with everything happening surrounding teamnegative1 and the unfortunate circumstances with poita, will this have any effect on your current or future plans?

Author
Time

Erm, huh?

It’s really sad when the “creative minds” behind something we hold dear are also guilty of its destruction.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Skyfocker said:

I used Handbrake on my Mac and re-encoded the MKV to MP4. From there I used a some freeware - Subler (awesome program) to import metadata (gives you a movie description and attaches it to the file). After you add this you choose your artwork (provides many options) and it attaches it to the file. Hit save. Hit optimize. Hit Send To iTunes. Then it will be syncable with your iPhone thru iTunes and will place it in your Videos app along with all your other movies/purchases.

I have SW 2.5, ESB 2.0 and ROTJ 2.5 all on my iPhone 6 using the steps above and they look absolutely incredible. I may throw together a YouTube tutorial if it would be helpful to ppl.

EDIT: also off topic. My apologies. If you want more info PM me

Yes, Subler is an awesome program, but you don’t even have to use Handbrake if you have it. You can just remux the MKVs to MP4 files with Subler, cut out or convert any audio tracks you don’t want and add metadata, and import them to iTunes. Then you can click on the video files and select “File>Create New Version>iPod/iPhone Version.” iTunes will then convert it for you to sync to your iPhone, and you keep the original in your library.

And if you have enough free space, you can always just download the VLC iOS app and transfer the full files to watch them with that. All of this avoids re-encoding as much as possible (saving time and quality) and allows you to keep fewer copies of the movie and a more streamlined library.

Author
Time

Density… Wasn’t aware of that! Definitely going to go back and do what you suggested. Thanks

Author
Time

Darth Mallwalker said:
Subject: Harmy’s Despecialized ROTJ v2.5 AVCHD
Subject: Harmy’s Despecialized ROTJ v2.5 DVD by Chewtobacca

Thanks!

Beware st00pid binsearch is showing both together in the same collection
despite having different subjects and different rar names (albeit similar.)

Never mind. It’s easy enough to create a separate NZB for the files that one wants.

Author
Time

Such amazing work. 2.5 looks amazing. I’m so appreciative of all the effort that went into this. Thank you so much.

Author
Time

Anakin’s ghost’s eyebrows have never looked more beautiful.