Sign In

Happy Memorial Day! (2016)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I thank all who have served, still serving and will serve.    Special thanks to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for our Country.

Remember, Memorial day isn’t about cook outs and a day at the shore or the pool,  it is about this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Cimeti%C3%A8re_am%C3%A9ricain_de_Colleville-sur-Mer.JPG

Image result for military cemetery with flags

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x4MoRGFOUZg/VaEFlbm_C3I/AAAAAAABECU/CeqrDU_tm0s/tomb-of-unknown-soldier-usa-1%25255B2%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

Yesterday, my Pastor read (and prayed) a memorial day prayer. I would like to post it here

Memorial Day Prayer

Dear Heavenly Father, With a sober heart we come before you this Memorial Day. We pause for a moment and call to mind all the men and women who have died in the service of our nation since 1776. Dear God, please look with mercy on our brave and selfless brothers and sisters, who did not shirk from their task but gave themselves completely to the cause of defending and protecting us all. Bless all who have given their lives for the sake of liberty, and grant them eternal rest with You. We remember also our brave men and women now serving in our armed forces, both home and abroad. Dear God, send out Your angels to protect them all. Help them discharge their duties honorably and well. Please bring them safely home to their families and loved ones. Please bring Your peace and mercy to our troubled world. We ask this, Father in the name of Jesus, Your Son, Amen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

God Bless The USA

Edit: This thread is not for discussing politics of the morality of any war or wars in general. DO IT IN ANOTHER THREAD!

Author
Time

I’m very proud of my family’s military history. I’ve had relatives fight in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, WWI & WWII, the Civil War, the Indian Wars, and the American Revolution. I was never able to join the military.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

Seeing that it’s about memorializing those we’ve lost, please never phrase it “Happy Memorial Day” moving forward. It really makes those who survived very queasy and uncomfortable.

NOT A REAL NINJA (THOUGH DID TAKE AN AIKIDO LESSON ONCE SO WATCH THE F#%$ OUT)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Warbler … thank you for your thoughtful post to us veteran’s on this Memorial Day. I served because I chose to and because I could. I wanted to help make a difference if I could. I still donate to other veteran causes to this day in the hopes of making their lives just a little bit easier as we all get older.

Cheers to you my friend.

😃

Always Remember!!!

Author
Time

thecuddlyninja said:

Seeing that it’s about memorializing those we’ve lost, please never phrase it “Happy Memorial Day” moving forward. It really makes those who survived very queasy and uncomfortable.

What should we say?

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

Yeah guys…happy Memorial Day!

We don’t get that 'till November in Australia.

Not enough people read the EU.

Author
Time

LuckyGungan2001 said:

Yeah guys…happy Memorial Day!

We don’t get that 'till November in Australia.

Tyrphanax said:

thecuddlyninja said:

Seeing that it’s about memorializing those we’ve lost, please never phrase it “Happy Memorial Day” moving forward. It really makes those who survived very queasy and uncomfortable.

It’s all about remembering and honouring all those who gave their lives to serve our country and the world to help make it a better place. Remembrances are just fine. 😃

Author
Time

Have a blessed Memorial Day.

Jar-Jar is the Emperor in the extra special edition of ROTJ (scenes 1, 3, and then 6 to the end).

Author
Time

Tyrphanax said:
What should we say?

I don’t see why there should be a need for people to exchange a greeting of any kind.

Author
Time

Chewtobacca said:

Tyrphanax said:
What should we say?

I don’t see why there should be a need for people to exchange a greeting of any kind.

Me either, I was just curious.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve heard people use the phrase “Happy Memorial Day” all the time. I considered whether it was appropriate or not. Not sure what to think. I’m pretty sure those using the phrase mean no disrespect. I certainly didn’t.

Author
Time

I tried to change the thread title to remove the word “happy”, but I can see no way to change the thread title. Sorry.

Author
Time

It’s all good Warbler. I know what you meant and your sentiment is appreciated by veteran’s everywhere I’m sure.

😃

Author
Time

And we have our winter in summer. And our water goes the other way.

Author
Time

Tyrphanax said:
Me either, I was just curious.

Ah, I see. 😃

Warbler said:
I pretty sure those using the phrase mean no disrespect.

Of course! I’m sure that it was the appropriateness of the expression that was being questioned, rather than people’s intentions.

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

I’m very proud of my family’s military history. I’ve had relatives fight in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, WWI & WWII, the Civil War, the Indian Wars, and the American Revolution. I was never able to join the military.

out of curiosity, which side were your relatives on during the Civil War?

Author
Time

Warbler said:

moviefreakedmind said:

I’m very proud of my family’s military history. I’ve had relatives fight in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, WWI & WWII, the Civil War, the Indian Wars, and the American Revolution. I was never able to join the military.

out of curiosity, which side were your relatives on during the Civil War?

Mostly for the Union. Some distant relatives fought for the CSA though. At the time my family lived in an area on the border between the United States and the Confederacy.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

your ancestors may have fought against and alongside Ferris’ ancestors. His fought for the south.

Author
Time

The Civil War often literally pitted family against family. That’s one of many reasons why it was the darkest moment in US history.

The Person in Question