Sign In

Han - Solo Movie ** Spoilers ** — Page 105

Author
Time

^ I wonder if any future novels or comics will run with that idea/unused backstory for Lando? (unless it has already been done?)

Tighten Up and then turn it all the way up to 11!

Author
Time

So Han and Lando only knew each other for a relatively short time across two or so adventures?

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

So Han and Lando only knew each other for a relatively short time across two or so adventures?

Says who?

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

Hal 9000 said:

So Han and Lando only knew each other for a relatively short time across two or so adventures?

Says who?

Yeah, I think the ending does a good enough job implying that these two continue to have a friendly rivalry throughout the years following.

That being said, I’d say it was a big mistake to pack everything we’ve heard about Han Solo’s past into one movie.

-Kid from Correlia
-Joins the empire & abandons it
-Meets Chewbacca and partners up
-Meets Lando
-Makes the Kessel Run
-Loves, loses her, becomes cold
-Becomes a “shoot first” kinda guy
-Wins the falcon

Yeesh. It blows my mind that Kasdan wrote this.

Author
Time

Humby said:

DominicCobb said:

Hal 9000 said:

So Han and Lando only knew each other for a relatively short time across two or so adventures?

Says who?

Yeah, I think the ending does a good enough job implying that these two continue to have a friendly rivalry throughout the years following.

That being said, I’d say it was a big mistake to pack everything we’ve heard about Han Solo’s past into one movie.

-Kid from Correlia
-Joins the empire & abandons it
-Meets Chewbacca and partners up
-Meets Lando
-Makes the Kessel Run
-Loves, loses her, becomes cold
-Becomes a “shoot first” kinda guy
-Wins the falcon

Yeesh. It blows my mind that Kasdan wrote this.

Kasdan may have rightly understood this was probably the one kick at the can he or others would have in telling Han’s story. I guess he wanted to get all the pertinent parts included.

Author
Time

And, while perhaps little solace, it is worth noting that the events in the film do in fact span several years’ time.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Creox said:

Humby said:

DominicCobb said:

Hal 9000 said:

So Han and Lando only knew each other for a relatively short time across two or so adventures?

Says who?

Yeah, I think the ending does a good enough job implying that these two continue to have a friendly rivalry throughout the years following.

That being said, I’d say it was a big mistake to pack everything we’ve heard about Han Solo’s past into one movie.

-Kid from Correlia
-Joins the empire & abandons it
-Meets Chewbacca and partners up
-Meets Lando
-Makes the Kessel Run
-Loves, loses her, becomes cold
-Becomes a “shoot first” kinda guy
-Wins the falcon

Yeesh. It blows my mind that Kasdan wrote this.

Kasdan may have rightly understood this was probably the one kick at the can he or others would have in telling Han’s story. I guess he wanted to get all the pertinent parts included.

Yeah, and I don’t blame him alone for it. This movie had everything going against it. No one wanted it, Han was being recast, the director(s) debacle, etc. And given all that, I actually think it’s a decent movie despite most of my criticism. It’s just wayyyyy too on the nose.

canofhumdingers said:

And, while perhaps little solace, it is worth noting that the events in the film do in fact span several years’ time.

Little solace indeed lol. For me it’s just the fact that it’s all crammed into one movie. Like I said, I actually think it’s a decent flick, but at the end of the day it’s like a (insert favorite band here) greatest hits album played by a coverband.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

Hal 9000 said:

So Han and Lando only knew each other for a relatively short time across two or so adventures?

Says who?

Upon further reflection, I conflated the implied incident behind the “well that was a long time ago, I’m sure he’s forgotten about that” that Lando pretended to be pissed about in ESB with Han winning the Falcon. Which doesn’t even make any sense.
But in my defense I haven’t been getting a lot of sleep.

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time

I’ve long thought that Solo is just the Star Wars equivalent of the opening scene from Last Crusade. It’s trying to explain everything about this character, all the while destroying the mystery surrounding his origins. While I like what I’ve seen of it, it’s got its problems and I think it would have been better served as a Disney+ series about the Star Wars underworld.

Author
Time

That’s an apt comparison.

PM me for links to my edits; apparently, some feel shy about this.

Author
Time

A straight up adaptation of the Brian Daley trilogy would have been nice.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I do think there’s plenty of room for a second film with Han & Lando crossing paths again.

Not that that’ll ever get made. But the story leaves room.

Author
Time

timdiggerm said:

I do think there’s plenty of room for a second film with Han & Lando crossing paths again.

Not that that’ll ever get made. But the story leaves room.

Yeah but I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be as a tv series.

(and having finished the Dark Crystal tv series, I know it’s possible to make a very good prequel to a Gary Kurtz work through tv series)

“I have to say that I felt George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters.” - James Cameron about Episode VII.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I definitely see SW going the Marvel road with TV Shows dedicated to their various characters. The Mandalorian looks really good, and unless it has some drastic plot twist that messes with canon people will probably love it a la R1. That could give Disney the green light for more shows. Perhaps anthologies aren’t done for like Disney claimed… but rather, they’ll switch the platform to Disney+.

Maul- A Star Wars Story

Author
Time

BedeHistory731 said:

I’ve long thought that Solo is just the Star Wars equivalent of the opening scene from Last Crusade. It’s trying to explain everything about this character, all the while destroying the mystery surrounding his origins. While I like what I’ve seen of it, it’s got its problems and I think it would have been better served as a Disney+ series about the Star Wars underworld.

I guess that’s true. If only it was a setup for a similar arc like with Indy’s father or the cross.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

I thought the Crispin book trilogy did a good job at not shoehorning in absolutely every characteristic and also spreading the origin over three novels was a good touch.

A pure Daley adaptation would be a dream come true and would most certainly make me cry with joy. Nowadays it would likely be better if animated. It’s no secret I consider Daley’s writing the heart of the SW spirit and his Han books the best non-film SW stories ever and probably Star’s End most of all.

If I ever met Harrison in real life, I’ve always wanted to ask him one thing:
“If it’s no trouble would you mind saying a Han line for me?” “No, it’s not from the films but from Brian Daley’s Star’s End”
I’ve always imagined what it would be like to hear Harrison say the line “Ask Rekkon” when Han gets the drop on the baddie by using his wits before he blasts the traitorous villain out of the Falcon’s airlock into the cold depths of space. The venom in Han’s words in that moment go beyond the gunning of Greedo in that he has personal revenge on his mind and it beautifully ties into the human side of Han that he so carefully tries to hide.

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.

“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford

My review blog: thehificelluloidmonster.wordpress.com

Author
Time

I was surprised by how little I hated this film. Not a great film by any means, but it was refreshing to have a star wars film in which the main protagonist was male and was not a force user. It also dealt with one of my favourite areas of the SWU - the criminal underworld.

Of course it was full of absolutely terrible ideas and scenes (this is Post-83 Star Wars afterall). The worst offenders:

-Han speaking wookie
-Lando’s droid; perhaps the worst character ever in a Star Wars film
-Darth Maul still being alive
-those stupid pirates led by that stupid girl

Actually writing about those things is making me dislike the movie more so I’m going to stop now.

Author
Time

theprequelsrule said:

I was surprised by how little I hated this film. Not a great film by any means, but it was refreshing to have a star wars film in which the main protagonist was male

Not enough of those, huh

Author
Time

theprequelsrule said:

Actually writing about those things is making me dislike the movie more so I’m going to stop now.

Nah brah. Let the hāt flow through you.

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

theprequelsrule said:

I was surprised by how little I hated this film. Not a great film by any means, but it was refreshing to have a star wars film in which the main protagonist was male

Not enough of those, huh

None that are admirable characters since '83.

Author
Time

theprequelsrule said:

DominicCobb said:

theprequelsrule said:

DominicCobb said:

theprequelsrule said:

I was surprised by how little I hated this film. Not a great film by any means, but it was refreshing to have a star wars film in which the main protagonist was male

Not enough of those, huh

None that are admirable characters since '83.

So you don’t think the prequels rule?

Correct.

Irony — it’s great in everything save liver.

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM