Sign In

Great movies you hate. — Page 12

Author
Time

moviefreakedmind said:

LuckyGungan2001 said:

Firstly, it’s cheesy and I can’t take it seriously at all (much like the whole film), and also, it’s not like James Bond is a celebrity, and M16 is an undercover organisation. It would only humiliate Bond to the M16, and they know how many women he beds anyway. It would make practically no difference to Bond or M16.

It actually would in the early 1960s. If an agent were caught on film with a Russian woman and then committed suicide after murdering her MI6 would’ve been embarrassed globally.

Ah okay then, thanks for clarifying. No I’m not being sarcastic.

Not enough people read the EU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

I think Caddyshack is crazy overrated. Stripes has very funny scenes but fails as an overall movie (especially the last act which is just boring).

Vacation is funny, screw you guys.

It may be funny to some, but I truly loath Chevy Chase and can’t get past that.
The only movie I like that he is in is “Last Action Hero”, where he plays himself in a very brief cameo role.

When I was 11 years old I thought “Foul Play” was a riot. The when I saw it again 15 years later, I was shocked at how bad it was. You can also include any “Hit” movie with Dudley Moore on my list, such as “Arthur” and “10”.

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) seems to get pretty positive reviews, but I really don’t like it. Boring characters and overlong pretentious conversations make it an extremely tedious watch, and everything on Zion is the worst. I’d give it a four out of ten.

Not enough people read the EU.

Author
Time

Reviews are in the 70’s which is in the “good” range but not “great” by any means. 7/10 is what I would give it although I’ll never watch the original version again.

Author
Time

I thought Reloaded was pretty great, actually. Revolutions is where it all fell apart.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

I thought Reloaded was pretty great, actually. Revolutions is where it all fell apart.

I think they’re more or less on par. I think I’d rather watch Revolutions because it’s at least sort of fun. Reloaded is one of the dullest films I’ve ever seen.

Not enough people read the EU.

Author
Time

I never saw 3. I think the first is a tad overrated honestly. It’s good, I’m just not a huge fan like a lot of people. Reloaded was alright I guess, and I never saw Revolutions.

.

Author
Time

suspiciouscoffee said:

I never saw 3. I think the first is a tad overrated honestly. It’s good, I’m just not a huge fan like a lot of people. Reloaded was alright I guess, and I never saw Revolutions.

Keep it that way.

Author
Time

LuckyGungan2001 said:

TV’s Frink said:

I thought Reloaded was pretty great, actually. Revolutions is where it all fell apart.

I think they’re more or less on par. I think I’d rather watch Revolutions because it’s at least sort of fun. Reloaded is one of the dullest films I’ve ever seen.

That’s crazy. I think you have the two movies mixed up. The biggest sin of Revolutions is that most everything outside of the Matrix is boring, and almost the whole movie takes place outside of the Matrix.

Author
Time

LuckyGungan2001 said:

moviefreakedmind said:

LuckyGungan2001 said:

Firstly, it’s cheesy and I can’t take it seriously at all (much like the whole film), and also, it’s not like James Bond is a celebrity, and M16 is an undercover organisation. It would only humiliate Bond to the M16, and they know how many women he beds anyway. It would make practically no difference to Bond or M16.

It actually would in the early 1960s. If an agent were caught on film with a Russian woman and then committed suicide after murdering her MI6 would’ve been embarrassed globally.

Ah okay then, thanks for clarifying. No I’m not being sarcastic.

Sure, not to mention, in 1963 his career could’ve been over just for having relations with a Russian clerk, even without the sex film scandal.

The Person in Question

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

LuckyGungan2001 said:

TV’s Frink said:

I thought Reloaded was pretty great, actually. Revolutions is where it all fell apart.

I think they’re more or less on par. I think I’d rather watch Revolutions because it’s at least sort of fun. Reloaded is one of the dullest films I’ve ever seen.

That’s crazy. I think you have the two movies mixed up. The biggest sin of Revolutions is that most everything outside of the Matrix is boring, and almost the whole movie takes place outside of the Matrix.

I actually think that up until Neo escapes from Mobil Ave, the film is pretty good, but it all goes downhill from there. Both Reloaded and Revolutions suck.

Not enough people read the EU.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

Tyrphanax said:

This is obviously a thread with very subjective opinions. Just because most people like chocolate doesn’t mean everyone does or should.

I was watching John Oliver last night and he described Neapolitan Ice Cream as perfect for everyone. Chocolate for most of us, Vanilla for the boring ones, and Strawberry for the perverts.

So that’s why strawberry is my favourite component of Neapolitan ice cream.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Barry Lyndon.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate it at all, but I definitely think it is much less good than when I first saw it. Like Duracell with Gump, my first viewings were rose-tinted by my now long-gone love for the 18th century, and so I thought it was the best movie ever made. There I smeared that sentimentality all over TheTopTens (the site I was on during my long absence here back in mid-to-late '19).

In conclusion, Barry Lyndon doesn’t hold up today compared to when I first saw it.

Or for the short answer, Barry Lyndon is still a very good film, but it isn’t “the most beautiful film ever made”.

P.S. Speaking of Gump, TheTopTens bot-voters disagree with you.(https://www.thetoptens.com/best-movies/)

Author
Time

No, the Goonies are not good enough.

I have altered Lucas’ visions. Pray I don’t alter them any further.

Author
Time

I never thought Avatar was that great. It has a sort of cliche story with cliche characters and way too much CGI. That being said, I don’t hate it. I think that Titanic is a much better film.

Project creator and film enthusiast.

Author
Time

Basically any movie directed by Paul Thomas Anderson.

Everywhere I look they’re praised by critics and movie fans alike as masterpieces, but I find them to be the very definition of boring. The only movie directed by him I did like was The Master and it had nothing to do with the acting, the characters or the plot, but purely because of the 70mm cinematography which is pure eye candy.

One thing I do respect about PTA is the fact that he’s one of the last directors who’s still committed to shooting on film.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

fmalover said:

Basically any movie directed by Paul Thomas Anderson.

Everywhere I look they’re praised by critics and movie fans alike as masterpieces, but I find them to be the very definition of boring. The only movie directed by him I did like was The Master and it had nothing to do with the acting, the characters or the plot, but purely because of the 70mm cinematography which is pure eye candy.

One thing I do respect about PTA is the fact that he’s one of the last directors who’s still committed to shooting on film.

It’s funny you should mention him. I was thinking about giving him a chance as I found Licorice Pizza to look pretty fun by the trailer. It goes to show really just how subjective film can be.

“Heroes come in all sizes, and you don’t have to be a giant hero. You can be a very small hero. It’s just as important to understand that accepting self-responsibility for the things you do, having good manners, caring about other people - these are heroic acts. Everybody has the choice of being a hero or not being a hero every day of their lives.” - George Lucas

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is going to sound like high treason, but Casablanca has to be one of the most overrated movies of all time. I tried watching it once a couple years ago, but I was so incredibly bored that I turned it off halfway through.

The thing is, a historical drama focused on people trying to live their lives on the outskirts of World War 2 could have been great. It could have an ensemble cast from various nations and walks of life, trying to escape from this horrible war and return to a sense of normalcy. But instead, the movie wasted the vast potential of its premise with boring melodrama and a half-baked romance. I’m convinced the only reason people say they like it is because people will judge them if they say they don’t.

My preferred Skywalker Saga experience:
I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX

Author
Time

Titanic and all the Harry potters are overrated.
(Part of it could be that my mom forced me to watch one of the Harry Potters against my will.)

I’m not really that much of a movie purist. I really should’ve thought my name out a bit more.

Author
Time

I agree that Harry Potter is kind of overrated.

Project creator and film enthusiast.

Author
Time

I like the Harry Potter movies, but I do agree that they’re not the best the fantasy genre has to offer (especially when compared to the Lord of the Rings trilogy). I have a sister who is obsessed with the Harry Potter films. She even liked the painfully boring Crimes of Grindelwald. I’m not kidding! Excluding that movie, I think the Harry Potter films range from okay to good, but I still wouldn’t call them great.

I have altered Lucas’ visions. Pray I don’t alter them any further.

Author
Time

The Harry Potter series just… does not hold up on rewatch once you’re past the age of 10.