Sign In

George Lucas leaves Lucasfilm

Author
Time

If this is legit (not him simply making vague promises to do experimental movies like he he's done for the past 25 years) then good on him. Stepping back into the young guy who wanted to do avant garde stuff with a camera a few setttings would be quite a fun throwback for him to enjoy, and Lucasfilm not having him as such a strong influence can do a world of good. 

Granted I still don't think the original films will be released until George passes away, but still the idea of Lucasfilm being in newer hands leaves me with some optimism. 

Author
Time

Gotta love the titles of these articles:

George Lucas leaves Lucasfilm to 'retire to my garage'

http://blastr.com/2012/05/lucas-leaves-lucasfilm-to.php

linked to:

George Lucas To Distance Himself From LucasFilm

http://www.slashfilm.com/george-lucas-distance-lucasfilm/?utm_source=Movie+Magic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashfilm+%28%2FFilm%29

links to:

George Lucas "Moving Away From" Lucasfilm

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/George_Lucas_Moving_Away_From_Lucasfilm_145967.asp

links to:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34122


and the actual quote:

we talked to George Lucas about his plans following Red Tails. And his plans might shock you.

"I'm moving away from the company, I'm moving away from all my businesses, I'm finishing all my obligations and I'm going to retire to my garage with my saw and hammer and build hobby movies. I've always wanted to make movies that were more experimental in nature, and not have to worry about them showing in movie theatres." Does he really mean it this time? Only time will tell.

it's talk until there action.

Author
Time

How many times in the past has he said this exact same thing.

...

GEORGE: I'm sick and tired of big budget extravaganzas. I'm going to step away from it all and make a YouTube Poop with MS Paint and Windows Movie Maker on my son's PC.

*time passes*

GEORGE: Next summer I'm going to re-release the Extra Super-Duper Spectacular Supreme Edition of the Star Wars Saga for first time on 4-D UltravioletDisc. This version will feature all-new scenes which add new facets to the grandiose story already present, including footage of Han and Chewie engaged in raw zoophilic sex. I always intended the Han-Luke-Leia love triangle to be a Han-Chewie-Luke-Leia quadrangle, but I didn't have the technology back in the day to adequately portray realistic human-Wookiee anal penetration. Now, with the Almighty Computer at my command, I can have my Star Wars as the way it was always, always, always meant to be.

“Okay, I’m goin’, takin’ off. See ya… bye….” — Chip Douglas

“This concludes our broadcast day. Click.” — Chip Douglas

Author
Time

lmao,  another 'interview'. 

didnt he already say he was retiring earlier this year? 

[sigh]  if he still has the final word on what gets published for home video, then this doesn't really mean anything as far as the OOT goes.

his relentlessness in spouting off the whole 'Im really an art house filmmaker'  is truly astounding.  what is it now - 40 years?

and did i read that quote right?  he wants to make experimental movies...but not show them!?  um..ok, why tell us this?  last I checked, all artists create works with the intention of communicating to an audience...any audience.

i dunno - i'd be curious - Criterion markets many 'art house' movies, right?  If one were to get a list of all the directors that has a criterion label, I'd be really interested in seeing how many of them gave interviews like this over a 40 year period and went on and on about how they are 'art filmmakers' or they make 'art movies'.  I dont think i've ever really heard another filmmaker talk this way.  I know of plenty of true independent filmmakers that introduce themselves by talking about what their values are and what approach they take..but then they usually move on and discuss...well, you know, the movies.  lucas, of course, cannot do this.

Give him credit for this - he knows the importance of branding and how the power of images, talking points, propaganda and unrelenting repitition builds a brand.  Why bother making art-movies when all you have to do is talk about it for 40 years to get sycophants and apologists to believe you.  No different then 10 years ago when he was pounding home the whole 'im a visual filmmaker' - never mind the fact that all filmmakers are 'visual', thats why they have this thing called cameras.

I wonder if he's ever had an 'interview' where he's guiding some dumbass media stenographer around skywalker ranch and he's had the audacity to say "you know, I have a ton of money, but really deep down im a working-class, blue-collar kinda guy"

click here if lack of OOT got you down

Author
Time

Now that Lucas has left 'Lucasfilm'... is the company now just called 'film'???

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

How many times in the past has he said this exact same thing.

...

GEORGE: I'm sick and tired of big budget extravaganzas. I'm going to step away from it all and make a YouTube Poop with MS Paint and Windows Movie Maker on my son's PC.

*time passes*

GEORGE: Next summer I'm going to re-release the Extra Super-Duper Spectacular Supreme Edition of the Star Wars Saga for first time on 4-D UltravioletDisc. This version will feature all-new scenes which add new facets to the grandiose story already present, including footage of Han and Chewie engaged in raw zoophilic sex. I always intended the Han-Luke-Leia love triangle to be a Han-Chewie-Luke-Leia quadrangle, but I didn't have the technology back in the day to adequately portray realistic human-Wookiee anal penetration. Now, with the Almighty Computer at my command, I can have my Star Wars as the way it was always, always, always meant to be.

Was this really needed to make your point?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Probably not, but it certainly has a ring of truth.  And more importantly, made me laugh.

Author
Time

He could walk away from Lucasfilm, but still retain the rights to the SW franchise.  If so, it would squash all optimism regarding future of the franchise (don't hold your breath for untouched OT on BluRay anytime soon).

 Spoiler free for the ST

Author
Time

greenpenguino said:


Now that Lucas has left 'Lucasfilm'... is the company now just called 'film'???


Which would be ironic since that's exactly what he likes to destroy.

Author
Time

Eh... He is going to milk SW for all he can- we all know those "experimental films" he has wanted to make for decades do not exist. Hell, he probably will resurrect himself (medical technology has come a long way) and make more changes to the OT beyond the grave.

Author
Time

Georgedigital is next.

Since they're like poetry, what with the rhyming and all, I find that I only need to watch three out of the six films.

Author
Time

^ Yeah, I'll never forgive him for withholding my Christmas bonus and sending me a subscription to the jelly-of-the-month club :(

“It’s a lot of fun… it’s a lot of fun to watch Star Wars.” – Bill Moyers

Author
Time

The reaction in various articles has been kinda unnecessarily mean and snarky seems like.

Author
Time

Has it really been that unnecessary?  Aside from the whole "removal from company" bit, it's the same song and dance we've heard for decades.  At what point is it too soon for it to become a big joke?

Of course, despite my anger at him for the whole Star Wars issue, I've always sorta hoped that maybe he HAS been somehow making movies all this time that no one knows about and no one has seen.  That he's made dozens of low-budget movies and has just told no one about it, and the joke's on us.

There is no lingerie in space...

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don't exist... then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks... and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming... Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Here's a question: Will anybody really care if GL stops making movies? He hasn't been involved in a respected picture since Last Crusade and that was 1989. Over 20 years ago!

Gaffer Tape said:

it's the same song and dance we've heard for decades.  At what point is it too soon for it to become a big joke?

Yep. It seems to me that George was expecting everyone to say "Oh, no no George! Sorry about all the mean things we've been saying about your horrible movies, your utter disrespect to your fans and your hypocritical ethics. We really like you! Stick around!" and instead everyone is saying "Who cares? Get lost!" I find it pretty funny.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time
I was just coming in here to post about that. Though your image is broken georgec. Kathleen Kennedy has always seemed like a pretty nice level headed lady, I like this decision.

Help back OMNO!

Author
Time

I like this decision. It brings some optimism, she's smart enough and cool enough to recognize how dopey the blu-ray situation is, and how not releasing 3 catalog discs that can't lose money and causes years of endless bad P.R. is a weird business decision. 

Author
Time

I hope you are right, and GL does not control Kennedy despite "retiring" from LFL.

Author
Time

He's more machine now than man, TWISTED and EVIL!  so who steps up? Rick McCallum?

they'll have to pry Star Wars out of George's Cold dead Hands before he relinquishes control of the saga.

Author
Time

georgec said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/whos-replacing-george-lucas-at-lucasfilm

ATTENTION, EVERYONE. IT'S TIME TO FLATTER THIS WONDERFUL WOMAN WITH PLEASANTRIES IN ORDER TO GET THE UOT ON BLU-RAY! SHE WILL BRING BALANCE TO THE FORCE.

I love how, in the comments section, when someone complains about the lack of the original films, someone responds with: "maybe because he just wants to troll them for 30 years of his life stuck making star wars :P"  So, according to Lucas a few months ago, it's our fault that he's not making more Star Wars movies, and, according to this guy, it's our fault that George was forced to make Star Wars movies.  We just can't win! :D

There is no lingerie in space...

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don't exist... then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks... and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming... Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

I think this is good news- it certainly can't get any worse at LFL. Maybe Kennedy will bring some sanity back, and we might get the OOT restored, and on blu-ray...someday.