Sign In

General Terminator 1 & 2 Discussions.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For all you Terminator fans here, you probably already know how different the new mix is on the Blu-ray version, and I am not sure of this, but maybe some of the DVD versions as well, I am not aware of all the changes from the original to what is on the Blu, but a member at blu-ray.com asked me to take on this project, he was going to do it but could not, but he did provide me with the ripped laserdisc's 44.1kHz LPCM track, so I was wondering is there any interest from the members here for having this in complete sync with the Blu-ray video? I actually finished it yesterday and burned myself a test copy and it all looks and sounds good to me, listening to this audio was actually pretty darn cool, so let me know if anyone would want links for this new audio file.

The 1 big difference I noticed right away was some of the gun shots, when the Terminator killed the first Sara Connor, and then Sara's girlfriend, the gun sounded terrible on the Blu, but the gunshots on this new track sounded like it was from the Dirty Harry movies, much better.

*edit - Well I tried to google the differences between the 5.1 mix and the original and can't find anything specific, I was hoping to find a link or some info so I could post it here, I actually would like to know all the differences myself as well.

 

Author
Time

I for one would be absolutely interested in this. I've always loved the Terminator and the 5.1 mix ruins it for me. Terminator always struck me as a B-Movie, and the hollow sounding dialogue as well as the cheaper sounding gun shots add to this atmosphere. The LD would definitely be a great source for the audio.

Author
Time

The Aluminum Falcon said:

I for one would be absolutely interested in this. I've always loved the Terminator and the 5.1 mix ruins it for me. Terminator always struck me as a B-Movie, and the hollow sounding dialogue as well as the cheaper sounding gun shots add to this atmosphere. The LD would definitely be a great source for the audio.

PM sent.

Author
Time

Hell yeah. I always thought something was off, but couldn't quite place it. Would be interesting to hear.

FE<3OT

Author
Time

I have the 2001 DVD, and I always, always watch it with the mono track. I can't stand the new, modern replacement sound effects, especially the gunshots. Why is it that the replacement gunshots in these 5.1 remixes always sound like the guns have silencers?

Not only is the remix full of new, out-of-place effects, but there are parts where the music is mixed all wrong. Why is the droning arpeggio in the future war prologue mixed so far back as to be almost inaudible? What happened to those awesome sounds of scraping metal in the main title?

This is right up there with Superman as one of the most infuriating 5.1 remixes I've ever heard. Glad to hear that someone's preserving the uncompressed PCM mono from laser.

Author
Time

I think I have the DVD released in 2003. It says it has the mono on it. Wondering if it is the same or similar to this one. 

I learn alot on this board that I never would have thought of. I'll have to listen to the mono version I have and see what it sounds like in comparison whatever other version is on this disc.

 

 

 

 

Author
Time

Well, I would assume that the mono on the DVD's is AC3, the PCM I have is not compressed and sounds very damn good, I really liked it a lot, sure I miss the surround, but this just sounded so much better, if you guys want links to the in sync PCM let me know.

Author
Time

dark_jedi, I've been listening to some of it and loving it. Terminator is now the classic 1980's action movie it should be, except now it's in HD. The PCM sounds quite clear, but, of course, the dialogue and sound effects still sound cheap and hollow because of the budget of the film. I'm still watching through, but, so far, no sync errors! :-)

Author
Time

I don't think I've ever even listened to the 5.1 remix (though my memory is trying to tell me that the DVD's remixed audio is in stereo).

I'll have to pull out my DVD and check, it's been a while.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

Would be interested in the PCM audio, but I haven't got the BD yet. I heard the image quality was not much better than the DVD.

[OT: DJ, would you consider doing The Full Monty original audio project? The BD had the American soundtrack. I have the UK LD with the original Dolby Surround as PCM.]

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Moth3r said:

Would be interested in the PCM audio, but I haven't got the BD yet. I heard the image quality was not much better than the DVD.

[OT: DJ, would you consider doing The Full Monty original audio project? The BD had the American soundtrack. I have the UK LD with the original Dolby Surround as PCM.]

I don't know, I think some are to hard on the video quality, sure it is not the greatest, but I think it is better than the DVD for sure, I am good with it until a possible remaster comes out.

I don't have that BD, but I guess I really would not need it yet to do this, but if you could upload the BD audio(to sync to) and the LD audio I could take a look at it, just make sure you give me some time, it took me a whole afternoon to do the new Terminator audio, I did have to walk away from it once in a while LOL, my eyes and ears need a break after a while.

Also, is your PM's cleared? I can't PM you the Terminator links if your inbox is still full.

Author
Time

Just got my new custom Blu-ray burned with Dark Jedi's mono PCM Laser disc track (long live Laser Disc;) and jj666's DTS-MA track he made from the Blu-ray's 5.1 PCM track. Watching now and I gotta say, seeing Terminator in HD along with the original audio is fucking awesome.;) A real treat. I can see no issues with the sync. It's perfect all around. Thanks you so much Dark Jedi for putting this together and making it available to the rest of us.

Author
Time

dlbsyst said:

Just got my new custom Blu-ray burned with Dark Jedi's mono PCM Laser disc track (long live Laser Disc;) and jj666's DTS-MA track he made from the Blu-ray's 5.1 PCM track. Watching now and I gotta say, seeing Terminator in HD along with the original audio is fucking awesome.;) A real treat. I can see no issues with the sync. It's perfect all around. Thanks you so much Dark Jedi for putting this together and making it available to the rest of us.

No problem at all, I am glad you like it, I have the ripped Digital PCM files coming soon for Conan The Barbarian, I can't wait to put that in sync with my Theatrical reconstruction Blu-ray project.

Author
Time

I am interested in this as well. I have the Blu-ray, and while the picture quality is an improvement over the DVD (it's not as bad as people make it out to be), the 5.1 remix just doesn't feel right. I much prefer the original mono mix.

Author
Time

nocomments87 said:

I am interested in this as well. I have the Blu-ray, and while the picture quality is an improvement over the DVD (it's not as bad as people make it out to be), the 5.1 remix just doesn't feel right. I much prefer the original mono mix.

Sent you a PM.

Author
Time
I am also interested in the mono lpcm stream. I own the Canadian BluRay, the Hong Kong DVD with mono audio, and three different German DVDs...

"I kill Gandalf." - Igor, Dork Tower

Author
Time

@ Griff and MrBrown, you both have PM's, hope you like it.

Author
Time

I got a chance to skim through this one after remuxing the Blu-ray with the Mono mix...excellent job! Everything cues up nicely, and it's great hearing the original audio again. This is how the Blu-ray should've been in the first place. Only thing that would truly make it definitive would be remastered video, but given MGM's financial issues, I doubt that'll ever happen...at least, not for a long while.

Author
Time

So I remuxed it, and burned it to a BD-Rom, so I just could watch it on my PS3.

This audio project ist just awesome! It seems to fit perfectly! Great work!

I hope that the movie will be someway remastered in video purpose someday, and that the mono will fit then , also.

I really liked it!

"I kill Gandalf." - Igor, Dork Tower

Author
Time

MrBrown said:

So I remuxed it, and burned it to a BD-Rom, so I just could watch it on my PS3.

This audio project ist just awesome! It seems to fit perfectly! Great work!

I hope that the movie will be someway remastered in video purpose someday, and that the mono will fit then , also.

I really liked it!

Thank you, and I am glad you like it, and I will tell you this, if the video gets a remastering, I will make sure that the PCM is in sync with that version as well, so don't worry about that.

Author
Time

The good thing for Temrinator:

After long years on the "Index" in Germany, it got off that list last year. And is now rated FSK16. Also there is no german release, yet. So MAYBE, IF we get a BD release, it MAY be remastered, depending on the releasing studio. It maybe a bit optimistic, but hope dies last. :)

If it gets a german release someday, I am sure there will be a comparison regarding video quality up at caps-a-holic.com...

"I kill Gandalf." - Igor, Dork Tower

Author
Time

Guys,

I think Terminator looks about as good as it's ever going to. Other than a remaster using  AVC compression rather than MPEG-2 that is. That said I think the Blu-ray looks great when you consider it's low budget origins.

Author
Time

It's not about the look, it's about the sound. The current Blu-ray omits the original mono soundtrack, which was on the Image LD, the Image DVD and the MGM DVD.