_,,,^..^,,,_ presents the [OUT ruLes IT] project
Original Unaltered Trilogy restored using Laserdisc editions - ITALIAN
Project mission: restore the Italian Original Unaltered Trilogy using video from various Laserdisc and VHS editions, and audio from the italian VHS.
Video sources: analog video captured directly from Laserdiscs; VHS sources are admitted as the italian material is not present on the Laserdisc format.
Audio sources: VHS HiFi stereo soundtrack for the italian soundtrack, uncompressed PCM captured directly from Laserdisc for the english soundtrack.*
* UNA NUOVA SPERANZA (A NEW HOPE) is actually using Hairy_Hen's 70mm reconstruction soundtrack
Subtitles sources: handmade italian literal subtitles, Project Threepio for english subtitles.
Project prohibition: use DVD, BD, HDTV or other audio or video from any digital sources.
IV EPISODIO: UNA NUOVA SPERANZA
Video: THX PAL laserdiscs
- Star Wars - Coffret Trilogie - CAV
- Star Wars - La Guerre des Etoiles - CAV
- Star Wars - Krieg der Sterne - CAV
- Star Wars - La Guerra de las Galaxias - CLV
- Star Wars - Guerre Stellari - VHS Italian (only for some intial titles and alignment)
- Star Wars - Guerre Stellari (1997 SE) - VHS Italian (only for italian crawl)
Audio: THX PAL laserdiscs
- Star Wars - Guerre Stellari - VHS Italian (for the italian soundtrack)
- Hairy_Hen 70mm recreation (for the english soundtrack)
- Handmade italian literal subtitles
- Project 3PO english literal subtitles
Captures and setup info
- Pioneer CLD-D925 PAL/NTSC laserdisc player; S-Video out (composite out tested but the video card own comb filter is not better than the laserdisc player)
- PC Sony Vaio Core 2 Duo e6300 dual core 1.86GHz, 3GB RAM, 1TB external HD only for Star Wars; video card AverMedia A16C with Philips SAA713x chipset
- Panasonic S-VHS recorder NV-FS88B
- Sony MiniDisc recorder MDS-J520E
- VirtualDub as capture software
- VirtualDub and AviSynth for video manipulation
- Foobar2000 and other for audio manipulation
- video captured at video capture card native resolution 720x576, YUV, HuffYUV compression
- digital audio from Laserdisc via S/PDIF bit-to-bit perfect 16bit 44,1KHz stereo
- analog audio from VHS converted with the MiniDisc A/D converter 20bit Sigma-Delta modulation and then via S/PDIF perfect 16bit 44,1KHz stereo to PC
Project Status: DONE
Captures: all done
Video treatment: all laserdisc video captures were time and space aligned, then with AviSynth median and average scripts were overlayed to eliminate some noise and put out unwanted video parts (as burned subtitles); VHS italian video is captured with no median or average; little noise reduction and sharpen; NO COLOR CORRECTION at all! Upconverting from PAL 720x576 4:3 to 1280x720 16:9.
Audio treatment: all digital and analog audio are Dolby Surround encoded, then converted to Dolby Digital 2.0 AC3 files.
Subtitles: all done
Conversion from 25p to 23.976p: done
Final formats: AVCHD 720p/23.976fps with italian and english soundtracks, italian and english subtitles, both forced and full.
It is available on myspleen.
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
- Hairy_Hen for his 70mm soundtrack
- CapableMetal for his help with the soundtracks
- CatBus for his 3PO project's english subtitles
- Leonardo, that pushed me to start this project
- all the members who help me with my projects
Leonardo contacted me, and asked if I could do an italian version of OUT; I was thinking about it long time ago, so I decided to do it, for him and for me, my family and my friends.
The video quality is the same of OUT 2.0 (that will be released soon), except the initial part, that is taken from VHS... I used the same denoise settings for both video parts, but maybe I must apply a more aggressive noise reduction for the VHS part!
I must admit I cheated a bit, because I used the 1997 S.E. italian crawl, but it was the only choice, as the OT italian crawl was totally different...
Could you forgive me?
The only other little thing that bothers me is the fact that the forced subtitles should be manually selected; I set hardcoded subtitles with avisynth, but for some strange reason, they were not there when previewed with virtual dub, and disappeared when I watched the final release... so, as more than two days was necessary for the conversion, I decided to leave them "as is", sorry...
[Fundamental Collection] thread| homepage: blog.spoRv.com| fan preservation forum: fanres.com|