Sign In

GOUT image stabilization — Page 44

Author
Time

Chewtobacca said:

Nobody's making things harder.  Demuxing in different ways led to different frame counts, and nobody knew for sure how g-force had done it, so it needed to be established. That's all.

I can't say if g-force did it PROPERLY, but you would have to use PGCDemux.

DVDDecrypter doesn't properly read delays (and celltimes IIRC) from NTSC discs, and just using DGIndex without demuxing the PGC's means you wouldn't be able to properly rebuild the DVD afterwards.

I'd say PGCDemux or nothing.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Doctor M said:  I can't say if g-force did it PROPERLY, but you would have to use PGCDemux.

DVDDecrypter doesn't properly read delays (and celltimes IIRC) from NTSC discs, and just using DGIndex without demuxing the PGC's means you wouldn't be able to properly rebuild the DVD afterwards.

I'd say PGCDemux or nothing.

I'm not sure why you quoted me, but yes that's all true.

Author
Time

Doctor M said:

Chewtobacca said:

Nobody's making things harder.  Demuxing in different ways led to different frame counts, and nobody knew for sure how g-force had done it, so it needed to be established. That's all.

I can't say if g-force did it PROPERLY, but you would have to use PGCDemux.

DVDDecrypter doesn't properly read delays (and celltimes IIRC) from NTSC discs, and just using DGIndex without demuxing the PGC's means you wouldn't be able to properly rebuild the DVD afterwards.

I'd say PGCDemux or nothing.

What's wrong with demuxing with DGindex? Was the question about rebuilding the DVD, or how to prepare for running through Avisynth?

-G

Author
Time

g-force said: Was the question about rebuilding the DVD, or how to prepare for running through Avisynth?

Neither, the purpose of the initial discussion was simply to determine the framerate envisaged by the script, not to duplicate your exact method of demuxing. : )

Author
Time
 (Edited)

GOUT simple 2x resize:

 

g-force script v.15.00 (from Dec. 2010) simple 2x resize:

 

Not to bump my old thread, but some might appreciate some screencaps of what the GOUT looks like at 2x resolution.

-edit, I tried to show the resize, but imageshack downsizes them? Oh well.

Author
Time

g-force wrote: -edit, I tried to show the resize, but imageshack downsizes them? Oh well.

When uploading to imageshack, make sure to change the 'image resize' option to 'Do Not Resize' otherwise it defaults to '800x600'.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It's funny how the "untouched" GOUT in this example posted by Harmy look so much worse compared to the real deal.

Straight from the '06 DVD:

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

none said:

g-force wrote: -edit, I tried to show the resize, but imageshack downsizes them? Oh well.

When uploading to imageshack, make sure to change the 'image resize' option to 'Do Not Resize' otherwise it defaults to '800x600'.

 thanks none, I'll do that.

-G

Author
Time

msycamore said:


It's funny how the untouched GOUT in this example posted by Harmy look so much worse than it really does.


Looks like a combination of resizing (with the forum scaling it back down) and a failure to clamp the levels to 16-235 when converting to RGB.

DE

Author
Time

Okay, lets try this again, no resizing this time. Top GOUT, bottom g-force script: 

Author
Time

here's a fun one run through an old script that I dusted off:

Author
Time

Could someone remind me how to post linked thumbnails?

-G

Author
Time

Hi g-force. I'm just here to ask if you made any more tweaks or improvements to your script, as hinted at in this thread:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Squeezing-more-detail-from-the-GOUT/topic/13494/

I've just downloaded dark jedi's blu v2 sample and (with all due respect to dark jedi and you_too for the efforts) I do personally prefer the results obtained from your scripts, especially in respect of the colours. I have an x264 version of each film on my HD using your v4.00 scripts so I'm just seeing if you had made or still plan to make any more tweaks to your v15.00 scripts before I go ahead and render the OT again?

www.bardothodol.net

Author
Time

Those are the most recent versions. There are no more tweaks planned. That thread was intended to gauge interest in some additional processing on select scenes, but nothing that could be applied to the whole film.

-G

Author
Time

Thanks g-force for clarification. I'll have a bash at rendering the GOUT this weekend using your final scripts; I'm looking forward to seeing the results. :)

www.bardothodol.net

Author
Time

Oldschooljedi said:

Here comes a package of the required plugins.

Make sure you install the fftw3.dll in your system32 folder. This is a subfolder in your 'Windows' folder.

 

Hi, does anyone have a backup of this plugin bundle OSJ uploaded? Obviously, it's not online any more since he posted it to megaupload. Would someone be able to stick it on a file share site for me? I'd really apprecuate it. Or could someone list the exact plugins and versions I need to download?

Thanks

www.bardothodol.net

Author
Time

There's one thing I have been wondering, in your script g-force, you're using Levels for setting brightness and contrast and that's also how I always have set the white and black points in Avisynth but isn't it actually better to do it with Tweak and only correct gamma with levels?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Levels affect both luma and chroma whereas Tweak affect luma only?

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com

Author
Time

The Avisynth documentation is confusing, but my understanding is that setting brightness and contrast for YUV video with Levels() is fine, but adjusting gamma using Levels() should ideally be carried out in RGB space.

However, I also think any chroma errors introduced by using Levels () to adjust gamma in YUV are theoretical and not of any practical consequence.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

I just thought adjusting brightness or contrast with Tweak() instead of Levels() would be preferable as it leaves the chroma untouched. So in the end, it doesn't really matter which way you choose to set the brightness and contrast, both Tweak() and Levels() give you the same results?

 

We want you to be aware that we have no plans—now or in the future—to restore the earlier versions. 

Sincerely, Lynne Hale publicity@lucasfilm.com