Sign In

Finally ordered Blu Rays of original series

Author
Time

I probably waited too long cause I don’t believe it has any special features besides commentary. I would have liked that and also the original versions. I bought those dvd’s years ago but I no longer have my collection from then. Anyway, looking forward to seeing the movies again. Now I don’t have to wait for someone to buy the tv rights for them in the US or for them to come on Netflix. I never seen the Blu-Ray versions of the movies. Looking forward to the terrible extra no’s in ROTJ.

Author
Time

MathUser said:

I probably waited too long cause I don’t believe it has any special features besides commentary. I would have liked that and also the original versions. I bought those dvd’s years ago but I no longer have my collection from then. Anyway, looking forward to seeing the movies again. Now I don’t have to wait for someone to buy the tv rights for them in the US or for them to come on Netflix. I never seen the Blu-Ray versions of the movies. Looking forward to the terrible extra no’s in ROTJ.

The extras are pretty good actually. Of course it’s lacking all of the extras from previous DVD releases, but it makes for a good supplement to the DVDs.

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

MathUser said:

I probably waited too long cause I don’t believe it has any special features besides commentary. I would have liked that and also the original versions. I bought those dvd’s years ago but I no longer have my collection from then. Anyway, looking forward to seeing the movies again. Now I don’t have to wait for someone to buy the tv rights for them in the US or for them to come on Netflix. I never seen the Blu-Ray versions of the movies. Looking forward to the terrible extra no’s in ROTJ.

The extras are pretty good actually. Of course it’s lacking all of the extras from previous DVD releases, but it makes for a good supplement to the DVDs.

If he just got the OT though, which it sounds like, then I’m pretty sure it only comes with the commentary tracks. No documentaries, no deleted scenes, etc. You have to buy the prequels too to get those.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yes, it’s just the OT. It won’t have any special features, I can live without it. Can someone point me out to a site that shows what they added to the Blu Ray masters of the OT? Besides vader saying no a few times before lifting up the emperor.

Edit: I don’t know if this is complete but wikipedia has a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

Wow, George Lucas has even been altering the prequels. I knew he made changes here and there such as Darth Maul getting cut in half but there were alot more changes than I knew of.

Author
Time

Nope. I read about the changes to the 2004 dvd long ago. I wanna know what’s new in the Blu Rays.

Author
Time

The Blu-ray changes are mostly subtle compared to the DVD changes. Off the top of my head:

  • Obi-Wan has a new (and ridiculous) shout to scare off the sand people.
  • R2 hides from the sand people behind a new CGI rock. How he got behind it is anyone’s guess.
  • Han and Greedo shoot at or nearly exactly the same time now. (Easily the best change, though it also makes you wonder why Greedo still shoots at all because George’s initial “reasoning” that Han was only shooting in response to Greedo’s shot is out the window, cause if they shoot at the same time that means Han would have shot regardless of whether Greedo shot.)
  • The door to Jabba’s palace has been digitally expanded to appear more imposing, but also looks odd and distorted and doesn’t really fit with the interior shots.
  • Sebulba is now digitally inserted into Jabba’s palace to further piss off prequel haters.
  • The Ewoks now blink, which somehow looks much creepier than the still eyelids they had before.
  • Vader screams “NOOOOOO” twice while killing the Emperor in George’s biggest “fuck you” yet to his fans. This was obviously done solely out of spite due to the fact that people mocked the “NOOOOO” in ROTS, which is probably the same reason Greedo still shoots and Jar Jar is in the ending celebration.

Those are the ones you’re most likely to notice. I’m not sure if anything at all was changed in ESB from the DVD to Blu-ray, certainly not anything notable.

Author
Time

Density said:

The Blu-ray changes are mostly subtle compared to the DVD changes. Off the top of my head:

  • Obi-Wan has a new (and ridiculous) shout to scare off the sand people.
  • R2 hides from the sand people behind a new CGI rock. How he got behind it is anyone’s guess.
  • Han and Greedo shoot at or nearly exactly the same time now. (Easily the best change, though it also makes you wonder why Greedo still shoots at all because George’s initial “reasoning” that Han was only shooting in response to Greedo’s shot is out the window, cause if they shoot at the same time that means Han would have shot regardless of whether Greedo shot.)
  • The door to Jabba’s palace has been digitally expanded to appear more imposing, but also looks odd and distorted and doesn’t really fit with the interior shots.
  • Sebulba is now digitally inserted into Jabba’s palace to further piss off prequel haters.
  • The Ewoks now blink, which somehow looks much creepier than the still eyelids they had before.
  • Vader screams “NOOOOOO” twice while killing the Emperor in George’s biggest “fuck you” yet to his fans. This was obviously done solely out of spite due to the fact that people mocked the “NOOOOO” in ROTS, which is probably the same reason Greedo still shoots and Jar Jar is in the ending celebration.

Those are the ones you’re most likely to notice. I’m not sure if anything at all was changed in ESB from the DVD to Blu-ray, certainly not anything notable.

Man, you really reopened my pure hatred for the blu Rays. It pains me every time I remember that people every day watch such a beautiful silent scene ruined by one of the dumbest SE changes of them all (“Noooo”).

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

I’d still like an exhaustive list of changes tho. The wikipedia link calls itself a partial list and I think Density didn’t say anything that wasn’t on wikipedia already.

Author
Time

Well, apparently wikipedia has all the changes then. Not as many as I thought there’d be.

Author
Time

Yeah, it’s all compounded on all the other years of changes.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

I’ve been tempted so many times…but just for that damn bonus disc…but I don’t want to shell out a bunch of cash all over again just for the few extras…that is I guess not until the forthcoming repackage that is rumored to include TFA.

I would’ve bought it already if it had proper transfers for the prequels, but of course they had to muck up TPM and AOTC.

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

The official site put up an article shortly before the blu-ray’s were released that gave a rundown of all the additional changes for the six movies.

For ESB, the only one I remember off the top of my head was how they digitally fixed the shot where the wampa’s arm is reaching into frame to claw Luke. On previous releases you could see the guy’s actual arm where the wampa arm ended in the corner of the frame. They digitally added more fur to cover it up for the blu-ray, although I seem to recall noticing in the screenshot a parabola* of black pixels in that corner of the image (someone will know what I’m talking about).

I also seem to recall a fix they made to the conveyor belt scene where Chewie retrieves C-3PO from the ugnaughts, but I’m not remembering what it is now. It could’ve been a simple color-timing change for the furnace fire or they digitally added stuff.

Funny how ESB has gained this reputation as the one with the least changes made to it over the years, including '97. But boy oh boy, do I still hear people on the internet talk about how much they dislike the Vader “bring my shuttle” change.

*parabola might not be what the shape is called. Again, someone who knows the alterations well will know what I’m talking about.

Author
Time

The “Bring my shuttle” change is a real shame, because if it wasn’t for that I would say the ESB SE is universally superior to the theatrical cut and an example of how to do an SE right. The changes range from largely subtle enhancements that blend in seamlessly like the Cloud City visuals to big (but actually improved) updates like the old woman/chimpanzee Emperor hologram being replaced by Ian McDiarmid. If that one line (and the extra shuttle footage that was the reason it was changed) was not changed, and the other two films were altered with as much restraint, then I would prefer the SEs across the board. Still not an excuse to bury the originals, but it would make for solid director’s cuts worthy of being the standard.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Density said:

  • Han and Greedo shoot at or nearly exactly the same time now. (Easily the best change, though it also makes you wonder why Greedo still shoots at all because George’s initial “reasoning” that Han was only shooting in response to Greedo’s shot is out the window, cause if they shoot at the same time that means Han would have shot regardless of whether Greedo shot.)

My best guess is that he’s come around to realizing that it’s dumb but that his pride won’t allow him to actually just change it back to how it was.

Density said:

The “Bring my shuttle” change is a real shame, because if it wasn’t for that I would say the ESB SE is universally superior to the theatrical cut and an example of how to do an SE right. The changes range from largely subtle enhancements that blend in seamlessly like the Cloud City visuals to big (but actually improved) updates like the old woman/chimpanzee Emperor hologram being replaced by Ian McDiarmid. If that one line (and the extra shuttle footage that was the reason it was changed) was not changed, and the other two films were altered with as much restraint, then I would prefer the SEs across the board. Still not an excuse to bury the originals, but it would make for solid director’s cuts worthy of being the standard.

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t care at all about “Bring my shuttle,” and also vehemently prefers the old woman/chimpanzee Emperor.

Author
Time

I strongly prefer the chimp/elder female Palpy in every way.
What is so bad about “Bring my shuttle” being replaced is that the line put on clearly does not fit in tone, speaking level, pacing or in any conceivable way to the scene.

The really bad vcange is the inserted shot of Vader boarding and the recycled landing from ROTJ. Sheer stupidity that ruins the flow of the climax just for a prequel-esque traveling shot of a ship.

But thank goodness for thre one positive change: the revised victory celebration score in ROTJ. That is more along the lines of what JW would have come up with had the production not rushed it and forced Yub Nub as the concluding score.

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

captainsolo said:

But thank goodness for thre one positive change: the revised victory celebration score in ROTJ. That is more along the lines of what JW would have come up with had the production not rushed it and forced Yub Nub as the concluding score.

I’ve always hated the song they chose to go with in the SE. Never seemed right to me.

Author
Time

Even in isolation I don’t like it.

Author
Time

MathUser said:

Nope. I read about the changes to the 2004 dvd long ago. I wanna know what’s new in the Blu Rays.

If you’d bothered to check, those have all of the blu-ray changes listed as well.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time

Tobar said:

MathUser said:

Nope. I read about the changes to the 2004 dvd long ago. I wanna know what’s new in the Blu Rays.

If you’d bothered to check, those have all of the blu-ray changes listed as well.

I wasn’t about to re-read all the DVD changes just to see if it had extra blu ray changes.

Author
Time

MathUser said:

Tobar said:

MathUser said:

Nope. I read about the changes to the 2004 dvd long ago. I wanna know what’s new in the Blu Rays.

If you’d bothered to check, those have all of the blu-ray changes listed as well.

I wasn’t about to re-read all the DVD changes just to see if it had extra blu ray changes.

That is why you fail.