Ill start off on how this fan edit came into existence before getting into the nitty gritty.
I am a massive fan of Sam Raimi so when I heard somewhere online that its very easy to edit evil dead 1,2 and 3 together i was ecstatic but when I sat down to watch it with my mates we had some issues that really became apparent when we went from the straight horror of evil dead 1 to the bad joke comedy of army of darkness it felt like complete tonal whiplash.
This fan edit started as just a project to keep a consistent tone throughout the trilogy but over the span of a week it quickly evolved into a multimovie project designed to fix/remove bad special effects, Bad jokes and make the trilogy feel like 1 complete movie.
I have worked on many fan edits in my spare time (Only for personal use)
For the three movies I decided to use the same encoder releases (I do own all three films on multiple different medias)
So i picked FRANKeNCODE’s releases of the movies so each movie would be similar in bitrate and aspect ratio.
For army of darkness I used both the theatrical version and directors cut version to make one complete film, I prefer the directors cuts color grading for daytime and the theatricals cuts color grading for night time.
------------------------------------------EVIL DEAD 1 EDITS------------------------------------------------------------
For evil dead 1 I only had to edit 2 or 3 scenes as nearly everything is perfect already.
- I removed the doll head shot 40 mins in when cheryl is smacked into the cellar as it is jarringly obvious its a doll: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1skye9mm4IPuf1fjGrO4p1tyoolN8zO4k/view
- I cut down the fight between ash and possessed linda as I felt the wood ash used to smack linda has no weight to it at all:
-Next is the transition from Evil Dead 1 to Evil Dead 2, I went off of this interview with bruce campbell:
I decided to edit the transition further and edit the color tone of evil dead 2 to match evil dead 1 and give it a
much more sunrise feel: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eCzYZVps4mB8Wo6Epq0W5yWXnVLfxtI-
-----------------------------------------EVIL DEAD 2 EDITS-------------------------------------------------------------
- I removed the shot of the ghoul skull overlayed on the cabin, Bit too silly for my liking:
- Once ash gets to the bridge times speeds up and the next shot shows that its now sunset, thought it would be cool to show the sunset on ashes face so the audience could feel something is wrong:
- It becomes night, Yet in the next shot he is driving away in bright daylight then it suddenly turns to night, Fixed the brightness to keep some consistency:
- Removed the section with linda dancing outside,Felt it killed the pacing and atmosphere:
- Removed the mouse trap gag when ash is trying to shoot his hand
- Cut down what you see in the cellar that scares ash so much, trying to help build suspension. Not sure if i will keep that edit in or not:
- Changed the blood of the blonde deadite from green to red:
- Cut down the fight between ash and Henrietta
- This is the transition from evil dead 2 to army of darkness, Played around with the colour grading to help them mash together better, Evil dead 2s ending is quite desaturated even in army of darkness:
---------ARMY OF DARKNESS EDITS----------
Army of darkness was the movie with the most edits done to it by far so I wont show every edit done, You wiull have to find out for yourself 😉 Ill show the most important edits done
-Removed the stupid gags from the fight between ash and the pit witch, Also cut down the reactions from the crowd, Want ash to feel like he is isolated:
- Removed henrys reaction shot
- Made it so ash aint no bitch that fucks around with shooting deadites:
This is where is get interesting, this scene is one of three that i have heavily edited the jokes
and stupids gags out of it, The side effect is now these three scenes have much quicker pacing
I have removed the entirety of the little ashes sequence instead ash just gets an itch that leads to evil ash. Also cut down the slapstick shit between ash and evil ash and swapped out the theatrical cut line to the directors cut line
I basically just removed some jokes from the cemetary scene, nothing too amazing
When i was making this i was having a hard time deciding which ending to use for army of darkness, theatrical ending has more actions and has the famous one liners but doesnt fit the tone of evil dead 1 so i decided to hell with it and put the theatrical ending as a dream sequence that ash is dreaming when sleeping for 700 years you get the best of both worlds that way:
I need help finding hq uploads of deleted scenes, I have contacted @ridgeshark regarding his primitive screwhead fan edit regarding deleted scenes he has remastered, for example:
Any help would be appreciated.
Thinking of commissioning an artist to paint custom artwork for this fan edit.
The Fan edit will release sometime in mid 2020, 100% before halloween
VIDEO CODEC…: H.264
AUDIO CODEC…: ACC STEREO
FILE SIZE…: APPROX 18GB
FRAME RATE…: 23.976 fps
SUBTITLES…: NONE YET
RUNTIME…: 4HR’s approx