Sign In

Episode VII: The Force Awakens - Discussion * SPOILER THREAD * — Page 90

Author
Time

Erik Pancakes said:

I've gotta say, that whole "leak" sounds like a big load of bullshit to me. I really can't believe they'd be stupid enough to go the Death Star route again.

I think the idea of a woman who had her homeworld demolished by one of those things using one herself is pretty good if they follow through with it and don't just have her conflicted about it and then resolve not to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time

It is going to be interesting to revisit these after Ep VII opens, to see how off they were.  That's why it's a good thing to have them pasted here, in case the scoop websites fold, or delete their articles.

Author
Time

Highly doubt they'll do another Death Star, but, if they do, it's good to know it now. The rehash'd be disappointing but if it shouldn't get in the of the quality of the picture itself.

Just like I'm glad I know now that there will only be one IMAX sequence in the film. I don't mind that, most films don't have any IMAX sequences. But I guess it's better to know now than to go in and get disappointed.

Still, I hate spoilers. So I will be ditching this thread come April when the real plot details start to come out, and will likely never see the next trailer. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bingowings said:

Erik Pancakes said:

I've gotta say, that whole "leak" sounds like a big load of bullshit to me. I really can't believe they'd be stupid enough to go the Death Star route again.

I think the idea of a woman who had her homeworld demolished by one of those things using one herself is pretty good if they follow through with it and don't just have her conflicted about it and then resolve not to do it.

 I think that's a very interesting idea. I also think it works because of the very long time since, both in-story and in reality.  Part of what didn't work for me with Return was the fact that we'd just seen it all a few years earlier.  In this case, she looks like the time and stress have taken a toll.  It could really work.  Even more so if the massive weapon were something only resembling a Death Star.

Something that would really make me happy is if none of the new cast are related to the original cast.  Lucas shrunk the universe to the extreme.  Time to let the story take a deep breath and expand the universe again.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Listen, it don’t really matter to me baby. You believe what you want to believe.

Author
Time

It kind of makes sense to address these sorts of dilemmas. If you build one nuke it stands to reason that others will be made some by people arguing that they are only defending themselves.

It might seem repetitive but it makes the fictional world seem plausible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time

I suppose I may be a bit biased against the idea of a new superweapon, since the fact that everyone and their mother seemed to be building one in the now-defunct EU was one of the reasons I never really liked much of it.

I will admit that the idea of us finally seeing Leia really deal with the loss of her entire planet is appealing to me, though. We'll just have to see how this all shakes out in December.

Author
Time

In regards to the possibility of a Solo child, I think it would be strange if, 30 years later, none of the main characters from the OT had had children. So it just seems natural that we'll see one of their offspring in the new film and that they would be one of the major new characters.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Brief interview with Hamill with some not really surprising, but welcome, info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=A51Tymkp8eY&app=desktop

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

In regards to the possibility of a Solo child, I think it would be strange if, 30 years later, none of the main characters from the OT had had children. So it just seems natural that we'll see one of their offspring in the new film and that they would be one of the major new characters.

 No doubt we will.  It's just me wishful thinking that we'll finally leave Lucas' incestuous ...Solar System Far Far Away.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Listen, it don’t really matter to me baby. You believe what you want to believe.

Author
Time

Anchorhead said:

DominicCobb said:

In regards to the possibility of a Solo child, I think it would be strange if, 30 years later, none of the main characters from the OT had had children. So it just seems natural that we'll see one of their offspring in the new film and that they would be one of the major new characters.

 No doubt we will.  It's just me wishful thinking that we'll finally leave Lucas' incestuous ...Solar System Far Far Away.

At this point, I think we'd be surprised if Han reveals to Kira that she is actually *not* his and Leia's daughter.

"Kid, there's no easier way to put this but, we are not your biological parents. We adopted you. Your mum and I tried and tried.. it wasn't meant to be."

"What?! Why are you just now telling me this, after all these years?"

"Well [Thinks for a moment] it felt like the proper Star Wars thing to do."

Wishlist Of Ideas/Suggestions For Improving ROTJ

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If they're going to bring in another planet-destroying superweapon, then it should be scaled down, something relatively small and maneuverable -- a rocket with a cannon strapped to it, you could say --  not another moon-sized space station.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

.Mac. said:

At this point, I think we'd be surprised if Han reveals to Kira that she is actually *not* his and Leia's daughter.

"Kid, there's no easier way to put this but, we are not your biological parents. We adopted you. Your mum and I tried and tried.. it wasn't meant to be."

"What?! Why are you just now telling me this, after all these years?"

"Well [Thinks for a moment] it felt like the proper Star Wars thing to do."

 

^ Well done, good sir! :D

Pink Floyd -- First in Space

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

If they're going to bring in another planet-destroying superweapon, then it should be scaled down, something relatively small and maneuverable -- a rocket with a cannon strapped to it, you could say --  not another moon-sized space station.

 Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.  I'd rather it be a space gun than another Death Star.

Author
Time

.Mac. said:

Anchorhead said:

DominicCobb said:

In regards to the possibility of a Solo child, I think it would be strange if, 30 years later, none of the main characters from the OT had had children. So it just seems natural that we'll see one of their offspring in the new film and that they would be one of the major new characters.

 No doubt we will.  It's just me wishful thinking that we'll finally leave Lucas' incestuous ...Solar System Far Far Away.

At this point, I think we'd be surprised if Han reveals to Kira that she is actually *not* his and Leia's daughter.

"Kid, there's no easier way to put this but, we are not your biological parents. We adopted you. Your mum and I tried and tried.. it wasn't meant to be."

"What?! Why are you just now telling me this, after all these years?"

"Well [Thinks for a moment] it felt like the proper Star Wars thing to do."

What if only *one* of them was her biological parent?

That would really be interesting.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time

Is it December yet?

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

Nocturnaloner said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

If they're going to bring in another planet-destroying superweapon, then it should be scaled down, something relatively small and maneuverable -- a rocket with a cannon strapped to it, you could say --  not another moon-sized space station.

 Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.  I'd rather it be a space gun than another Death Star.

 Like The Tarkin?

The Monkey King - Uproar In heaven (1965) Restoration/Preservation Project

Nezha Conquers the Dragon King (1979) BBC 1.66:1 & Theatrical 2.35:1 preservations

Author
Time

satanika said:

Nocturnaloner said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

If they're going to bring in another planet-destroying superweapon, then it should be scaled down, something relatively small and maneuverable -- a rocket with a cannon strapped to it, you could say --  not another moon-sized space station.

 Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.  I'd rather it be a space gun than another Death Star.

 Like The Tarkin?

 Or The Sun Crusher?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time

Tobar said:

satanika said:

Nocturnaloner said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

If they're going to bring in another planet-destroying superweapon, then it should be scaled down, something relatively small and maneuverable -- a rocket with a cannon strapped to it, you could say --  not another moon-sized space station.

 Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.  I'd rather it be a space gun than another Death Star.

 Like The Tarkin?

 Or The Sun Crusher?

 Or The "Death Star"?

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Tobar said:

satanika said:

Nocturnaloner said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

If they're going to bring in another planet-destroying superweapon, then it should be scaled down, something relatively small and maneuverable -- a rocket with a cannon strapped to it, you could say --  not another moon-sized space station.

 Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.  I'd rather it be a space gun than another Death Star.

 Like The Tarkin?

 Or The Sun Crusher?

 Or The "Death Star"?

 I have a secret advantage that makes me immune to the "EU".  I ignore it completely. 

I did read Splinter of the Mind's Eye when it originally came out in paperback, and a couple of Han Solo books that came out around the same time.

Author
Time

Ryan McAvoy said:

Is it December yet?

 You must have slept through it.

Author
Time

Anchorhead said:

DominicCobb said:

In regards to the possibility of a Solo child, I think it would be strange if, 30 years later, none of the main characters from the OT had had children. So it just seems natural that we'll see one of their offspring in the new film and that they would be one of the major new characters.

 No doubt we will.  It's just me wishful thinking that we'll finally leave Lucas' incestuous ...Solar System Far Far Away.

 At this point, if they were ever going to make an Episode 7,8,9, you have to make it about the Han/Leia or Luke's children.  The spinoffs should be about new characters, and the Saga movies should be about the Skywalkers. 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Does Max von Sydow recieve his injuries (robot appendiges) from fighting on Hoth or Endor?

or am I way out?

Author
Time

Don't get too excited.  I'd love for that to be true, but the MoviePilot article cited by the ibtimes is from a contributor and not someone on staff.  Notice he's only got 4 followers and that's the only article he's posted that has gotten any traction.

Also, my friend who works there doesn't buy it. Take that as you will.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em