Sign In

Episode IX: The Rise Of Skywalker - Discussion * SPOILER THREAD * — Page 3

Author
Time

Well it’s hard surprising, but I was more concerned with the script than the direction.

Lord Tobias said:

so much rogue one memes are gonna be epic

wat

Author
Time

Lord Tobias said:

walks to Kathleen Kennedy

darth vader: “Kathleen”

kennedy: “lord vader”

vader: “you seem unsettled”

kennedy: “there is just a GREAT many things to attend to…just pressed for time”

vader: “my apologies…you do have a great many things to explain”

kennedy: “i delivered the films that you requested…the fans now rule the universe the last 2 star wars films have high scores on rotten tomatoes and IMDB”

vader: “the franchises power to create problems has certainly been confirmed…han solo directors destroyed…colin leaving the production of episode 9”

Kennedy: it was colin who directed episode 9 and destroyed book of henry

vader: “you were not summoned here to make excuses kennedy”

Kennedy: no but…

vader: “there is no lucas to blame, fans has been informed that the film was being protected from colin, i expect you not to rest until you can assure the emperor, that colins firing will not compromise our reputation in anyway”

kennedy: “am i still in command…you will speak to the fans about this…”

she falls on the floor…grasping at her throat

vader: “be careful not to choke on your aspirations…Kennedy”
QUOTE

You’ve posted that twice now. Third time will be considered spamming and deleted.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

3, … 2, … 1, theories incoming…

Theory 1: Disney liked Episode 8 so much that they wanted Rian Johnson as the director of Episode 9 as well.

Theory 2: They liked how Ron Howard turned the Han Solo movie and wanted him to direct a star wars movie from the beginning.

“People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians”

“In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.” --George Lucas on March 3, 1988

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Amano said:

3, … 2, … 1, theories incoming…

Theory 1: Disney liked Episode 8 so much that they want Johnson as director of Episode 9 as well.

disney done several unusual things for rian johnson…prepping him for greater responsibility while colin has been doing nothing but ruining his chances

1: they changed the release date at his behest, sacrificing a culturally advantageous release date(may was the 40th anniversary of star wars and would have given it a massive bump)…disney literally sacrificed a great release date for rian johnson

2: they gave him immense free rein…to the point that actors compared the film to a indie prodution

3: they changed the entire backstory of TFA to accommodate rian

4: they hired a critically acclaimed playwright to rewrite the script of episode 9 while last jedi was suffering no such rewrites…in fact he was given so much free rein that people on star wars fan forums and within lucasfilm were crowning him

5: book of henry was not only panned for a mean spirited tone but colin callled the film a “piece of art” after critics ripped it to shreds

6: several fans point out that colins first film was a short film about a man getting revenge on his ex girlfriend by sleeping with her old mother…this was picked up by major reporters

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Lord Tobias said:

Amano said:

3, … 2, … 1, theories incoming…

Theory 1: Disney liked Episode 8 so much that they want Johnson as director of Episode 9 as well.

disney done several unusual things for rian johnson…prepping him for greater responsibility while colin has been doing nothing but ruining his chances

1: they changed the release date at his behest, sacrificing a culturally advantageous release date(may was the 40th anniversary of star wars and would have given it a massive bump)…disney literally sacrificed a great release date for rian johnson

2: they gave him immense free rein…to the point that actors compared the film to a indie prodution

3: they changed the entire backstory of TFA to accommodate rian

4: they hired a critically acclaimed playwright to rewrite the script of episode 9 while last jedi was suffering no such rewrites…in fact he was given so much free rein that people on star wars fan forums and within lucasfilm were crowning him

5: book of henry was not only panned for a mean spirited tone but colin callled the film a “piece of art” after critics ripped it to shreds

6: several fans point out that colins first film was a short film about a man getting revenge on his ex girlfriend by sleeping with her old mother…this was picked up by major reporters

People aren’t supposed to defend their own movie? Even Ed Wood stuck up for his work.

George’s first film was chock full of nudity and an implied rape scene. Your point?

Oh yeah, Ron Howard’s first big hit was about two guys running a prostitution ring out of a city morgue. Can’t get more family friendly than that. Unless you count Splash. (And that was a Disney film under the Touchstone banner.) Pretty sure sex with a mermaid is going to offend somebody. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Amano said:

3, … 2, … 1, theories incoming…

Theory 1: Disney liked Episode 8 so much that they wanted Rian Johnson as the director of Episode 9 as well.

Theory 2: They liked how Ron Howard turned the Han Solo movie and wanted him to direct a star wars movie from the beginning.

Ron Howard doesn’t have enough time to get Han Solo finished and do 9. I’m still expecting Han Solo to move to 12/18 and 9 to go to 12/19 because that’s done very well for Disney so far.

I’m guessing Carrie’s passing put a lot of pressure on Colin and his failure this year only exasperated the situation. Also Jurassic World was a decent popcorn flick (though Chris Pratt kept his shirt on when he could have gone open vest only for the final act), but I expect more from what could very well be the finale of the Skywalker Saga.

Rian Johnson doing Last Jedi and 9? I will save my final judgement for Dec, but I would tentatively be ok with that. The cast love him, Lucasfilm and Disney execs love him and the movie looks great.

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Lord Tobias said:

Amano said:

3, … 2, … 1, theories incoming…

Theory 1: Disney liked Episode 8 so much that they want Johnson as director of Episode 9 as well.

disney done several unusual things for rian johnson…prepping him for greater responsibility while colin has been doing nothing but ruining his chances

1: they changed the release date at his behest, sacrificing a culturally advantageous release date(may was the 40th anniversary of star wars and would have given it a massive bump)…disney literally sacrificed a great release date for rian johnson

2: they gave him immense free rein…to the point that actors compared the film to a indie prodution

3: they changed the entire backstory of TFA to accommodate rian

4: they hired a critically acclaimed playwright to rewrite the script of episode 9 while last jedi was suffering no such rewrites…in fact he was given so much free rein that people on star wars fan forums and within lucasfilm were crowning him

5: book of henry was not only panned for a mean spirited tone but colin callled the film a “piece of art” after critics ripped it to shreds

6: several fans point out that colins first film was a short film about a man getting revenge on his ex girlfriend by sleeping with her old mother…this was picked up by major reporters

People aren’t supposed to defend their own movie? Even Ed Wood stuck up for his work.

George’s first film was chock full of nudity and an implied rape scene. Your point?

Oh yeah, Ron Howard’s first big hit was about two guys running a prostitution ring out of a city morgue. Can’t get more family friendly than that. Unless you count Splash. Pretty sure sex with a mermaid is going to offend somebody. 😉

Those directors were great (Lucas had absolute control of star wars). Book of Henry was a critical disaster, made worse by the fact that episode 9 is the end of the third cycle(a fancy term for the third star wars trilogy). Jurassic world was publically called out for Claire and how much of a disaster her character was. Colin came across as a sexist pig who is clueless about the world around him

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Whatever. Lucasfilm and Disney should have known who they were hiring. If all they considered was the box office for JW, then it’s their problem.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Whatever. Lucasfilm and Disney should have known who they were hiring.

They didn’t fire him because of that short film…they fired him because of “script issues” according to Hollywood reporters

Which sounds exactly like colin

Author
Time

Then why bring it up and imply it was a factor?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

ATMachine said:

Indeed it has. Not that that speaks well for LFL’s management of the series so far.

Two great movies and another on the way is all that needs to be said.

Author
Time

Yeah, but you don’t see anyone getting canned over at Marvel. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Yeah, but you don’t see anyone getting canned over at Marvel. 😉

I’m glad that they fired him because of script issues…it shows that they are devoted to quality

Author
Time

Allegedly, because we’re never going to know for sure. NDA’s and all that.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

The mistake wasn’t firing him, it was hiring him in the first place.

Author
Time

I for one am not looking forward to seeing what rehash Kathleen writes and directs for us once again.

Author
Time

Alderaan said:

I for one am not looking forward to seeing what rehash Kathleen writes and directs for us once again.

Then do us all a favor and don’t watch it, and more importantly don’t post about it.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Alderaan said:

I for one am not looking forward to seeing what rehash Kathleen writes and directs for us once again.

Then do us all a favor and don’t watch it, and more importantly don’t post about it.

Hello Mr. Hall Monitor wannabe guy.

Author
Time

Alderaan said:

I for one am not looking forward to seeing what rehash Kathleen writes and directs for us once again.

Thank you for your valuable and totally original opinion.

Author
Time

I absolutely LOATHED Safety Not Guaranteed, which is the one of his that people seem to like. I’m fine with this.

Author
Time

joefavs said:

I absolutely LOATHED Safety Not Guaranteed, which is the one of his that people seem to like. I’m fine with this.

I was going to disagree vehemently with this until I realized I was thinking of Burn After Reading for some reason and I’ve not actually seen Safety Not Guaranteed.

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

joefavs said:

I absolutely LOATHED Safety Not Guaranteed, which is the one of his that people seem to like. I’m fine with this.

Agreed.

The name ‘Spielberg’ keeps floating through my head, I don’t know why. It won’t happen, but I can continue to dream…for now.

Isn’t he starting production on Indy 5 next year though?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?