Sign In

Episode I: The Eyepainter Fanedit (Released)(Complete)(Trailer online)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Eyepainter Fanedit of Episode I is now available.

PM me for the links.


Over the last few days, I’ve started work on my own fan edits of the prequels for the same reasons everyone else has done. I was first exposed to Episode I when I was a wee lad of 10, and at the time, I was a stupid kid. Over time, though, it’s obvious that this film (and II and III, respectively) have aged… Poorly. My loss of interest only continued after seeing Mr. Plinkett’s reviews from Red Letter Media.

Still, despite the issues, I always believed that there are some good movies in here somewhere. Having seen several fan edits (which I will get to in a minute), it’s clear that there are. This is my attempt to improve Episode I and fix many of the problems that have haunted this film since its theatrical release.

First, a little background…

I am cuckoo for movies. I have seen so many classics, it’s borderline pretentious (For example, my all-time favorite movie is a toss-up between Orson Welles’ incomplete masterpiece, The Magnificent Ambersons, or the silent film classic, The Passion of Joan of Arc). I have studied writing of many types, from screenwriting to comics to even novels and stage plays. But the one book I’ve gotten the most useful information from is Aristotle’s Poetics. I intend to approach these prequels with Aristotle’s techniques. The two rules that I am following religiously are 1. to make everything necessary, and 2. to make everything probable. It’s those two rules that I will do my best to follow throughout these edits.

In preparation for this fan edit, I have also taken inspiration from several other edits. The first edit is, well… The theatrical version. The second edit is the infamous Phantom Edit. The third, and my personal favorite, is the l8wrtr edit. And finally, we have the HAL9000 edit. I intend to make this edit my own version, but I have borrowed several ideas from these four edits of the film.

UPDATE (10-21-2020): The trailer is now online.

You can find it on YouTube. I would post the link right here, but I think some of the forum rules might look down on that (since it might count as a direct link to downloads of copyrighted media). However, you are free to PM me for the link. I think finding it on YouTube is gonna be easy enough (I even started my own YouTube channel to put it up, so you can even search for Eyepainter Fanedits, and find the trailer on my channel). But if it’s still hard, PM me.

UPDATE (10-18-2020): THE EDIT IS NOW COMPLETE.

I feel like I have taken my first step into a larger world. I just watched my fanedit on my 1080p HDTV, and I’m happy to say that it looks right. All the changes have been made. The colors are graded well. The sound has been edited. The subtitles written. The wipes and transitions added. I think it’s ready. I hope to export the film in both .mov and .mp4 file formats, with .mov being my preferred (but sadly less accessible) file. Here are a few technical specifications.

Resolution: 1920 x 830
Frame rate: 23.976fps
Audio: AAC 5.1 surround (except the deleted scenes, which are in 2.0 stereo. Sorry about that.), and AAC 2.0 stereo
Codec: H.264
File size: 15.5gb
Running time: 1 hour, and 32 minutes

I also wish to thank the following people for helping me with this edit, and for making it a reality:

Schorman13, SparkySywer, and nevertellmetheodds for the HD preservations.
HAL9000 for the deleted scenes.
Jackpumpkinhead and DigModiFicaTion for the custom crawl creators and Blender tutorials.
TheAlaskanSandman for the advice.
…And everyone at originaltrilogy.com

UPDATE: THE FULL LIST OF CHANGES!

At last, I’ve gotten to the final list of changes. In total, I have removed 45 minutes’ worth of material, resulting in a short and sweet 91 minutes in length. Watching the DVD I have and looking at what was shown theatrically, I’m surprised at how different things have become between my edit and George Lucas’ edit.

Anyway, I have placed all changes in the spoiler tag below, and to avoid confusion, - means deleted, + means added, and / means it’s been edited differently.

/Opening crawl
-boarding scene
-tc-14 introduction shot
-how the negotiations will go down, the neimoidians being cowards, and the negotiations being short
-“what? What did you say?”
-“they’re here to force a settlement.”
-“are you brain dead?”
-jedi having drinks
-cowardice of Nute Gunray’s sidekick
-“Viceroy, I don’t want this stunted slime in my sight again.”
-“my lord, is that legal?” And “I will make it legal.”
-“the chancellor should never have brought them into this.”
-“yes. Yes, my lord. As you wish.”
-jedi reacting to explosion and seeing the gas
-“they must be dead by now. Destroy what’s left of them.”
-droid dialogue except when necessary
-“what is going on down there?” And “we lost the transmissions, sir.”
-“have you ever encountered a jedi knight before, sir?” And “well, no, I…”
-“that won’t be enough, sir”, “I want droidekas out here at once!” And “we will not survive this.”
-“that will hold them.”
/Qui-Gon’s cutting into the blast door
-“they’re still coming through.” And “this is impossible!”
-“where are those droidekas?”
-“they’re no match for droidekas.” And “sir, they’ve gone up the ventilation shaft.”
-negotiations being short joke
-Queen Amidala’s conversation with neimoidians
-communications disruption scene
-Jar Jar’s first three shots
-“oh moi moi, I love you!”, “You almost got us killed. Are you brainless?”, “I spek.”, and “the ability to speak does not make you intelligent.”
-Jar Jar’s freakout over the droid attack
-“more? More did you say?”
-“dis embarrassing. Mine friend I’ve been banished. Mine forgotten. The Brusses will do terrible things to me. Terrrrrible things to me if me going back there!”, “you hear that?”, “yeah.”, “that is the sound of a thousand terrible things heading this way.”, “if they find us, they will crush us, grind us into tiny pieces and blast us into oblivion.”, and “Yousa point is well said. This way. Hurry!”
-Jar Jar and the jedi at the lake and gunga city swim
-anything that has to do with doodoo, poodoo, or anything involving poop.
-almost all of Jar Jar’s annoying sound effects
-“How wude.”
-almost all of Boss Nass’ odd sound effects
-“once those droids take control of the surface, they will take control of you.”, “meesa no tink so. They not know of ocean.”, “you and the Naboo form a symbiote circle. What happens to one of you will affect the other. You must understand this.”, and “weesa no carrring about the naboo.”
-“the speediest way to the Naboo tis going through… The planet corrre… Now… Go…”
-“deysa setting yousa up. Going through the planet core? Bad bombin’.”
-“we’ll need a navigator to get us through the planet’s core.”
-“count me outta this one. Better dead here than dead in the core. Egads, whatta meesa saying?”
-all of the underwater sea adventures through the planet core
-the emperor and neimoidians conversation about the invasion being on schedule, the Senate accepting control, Amidala’s naivete, and the missing jedi
-“viceroy, we have captured the queen.”, and “victory.”
-neimoidians discussion of the treaty with queen amidala and governor sio at the palace steps
-jar jar falling in frame during the jedi rescue of the queen
-“meesa got bombat.”
-“we’re ambassadors for the supreme chancellor.”
-“won’t be a problem.”
-“they wouldn’t dare.”
-“either choice presents great danger… to us all”, “we are brave, your highness.”, and “if we are to leave, your highness, it must be now.”
-“where are you taking them?”, “to coruscant.”, and “coruscant. Uh, that doesn’t compute. Uh, wait, uh…”
-obi wan’s lecture to jar jar followed by jar jar saying hello to the droids
-everything involving R2-D2 saving the ship
-“I want that treaty signed!”, “my lord, it’s impossible to locate the ship. It’s out of our range.”, and “not for a sith.”
-“this is getting out of hand. Now there are two of them.” And “we should not have made this bargain.”
-Queen Amidala thanking R2 scene
-Padme cleaning up R2 scene
-“the sun is doing murder to meesa skin.”
-second time Panaka says wait
/subtitle change: “good day to you.” to “good afternoon.”
/subtitle change: “what do you want?” to “what brings you here?”
/subtitle change: “I was cleaning the fan switches.” to “I was fixing the power converters.”
-All of jar jar’s antics in Watto’s shop except the last one
/“they live on the moons of iago, I think.” to “they live on the moons of iago.”
-Qui-Gon’s attempts to use the jedi mind trick on Watto to accept the republic credits.
/Jar Jar’s fooling around with the cans shortened and sound effects removed to make moment less annoying
-ker-plop sound effect
-jar jar being unable to choose left or right
-“clean the racks.” and “then you can go home.”
-Anakin’s yippee’s
-“no again! No again! The bees hereabouts? Cawaazy! Weesa be robbed and crunched!” and “Unlikely. We have nothing of value. That’s our problem.”
+Anakin’s confrontation with Greedo deleted scene (edited)
/subtitle change: “Yes, I do.” to “yes.”
-Greedo fan service reveal.
-all of Sebulba’s introduction
-obi wan and Panaka observing the coming sandstorm
-“this one cozy.”
-“hewwo.”
-all of C-3P0’s introduction scene
-darth maul and emperor on coruscant scene
-“Boom!” and “how wude?”
-“we must survive on our own.”
-all of jar jar’s antics at the dinner table.
-“we no not moola to trade.”
-“greed can be a powerful ally.”
-Padme’s whining at Qui-Gon.
-“it wasn’t my fault. Really. Sebulba flashed me with his vents. I actually saved the pod. Mostly.”, and “that you did. The boy’s good, no doubts there, huh?”
/subtitle change: “your friend is a foolish one, methinks.” to “Your friend is more foolish than I thought.”
-“I didn’t actually come here to free slaves.”
-all the stuff with the kids
-jar jar working on the pod
-c3p0 comments about how odd jar jar is
-qui-gon’s blood test.
-jar jar’s “oh no!” Reaction to sebulba
-shot of qui-gon’s hand using the force on the chance cube
-“better stop your friend’s betting or I’ll end up owning him too.”, “what did he mean by that?”, and “I’ll tell you later. Good morning.”
-R2 and c3p0’s conversation on those dreadful starships
-anakin, padme, and kitster’s conversation about how he’s never won a race before.
-darth maul’s probe droid searching scene
-almost all of the sports announcer’s dialogue
-all podracer introductions
-jar jar fart joke
/subtitle change: “you won’t walk away from this one, slave scum.” to “you will always be second place, slave scum.”
/subtitle change: “don’t count on it, slime ball” to “I walk on legs, slime ball.”
-“you’re bantha fodder.”
-anakin’s “whoa” sound effect
-Jabba the Hutt announcing the start of the race.
-padme’s whining to Qui-Gon. Again.
-“oh, this is gonna be messy. Me no watchin’.”
-Quadranero and his power coupling problem
-“come on, ani.”
-“Go, ani, go!”
-pit droid stop
-“where is master anakin?”
-“look, here he comes.”
-shot of alien selling snacks
-“he has to complete two more circuits? Oh dear.”
-crowd shot
-lap 3 transition scene
-“careful, ani. Careful, ani!”
-sebulba saying poodoo
-r2 and c3p0s reaction to anakin winning
-jar jar’s howl of great joy
-jabba waking up
-qui-gon and watto conversation on anakin’s win
-“yes!”
-“what?”
-“you mean…”
-“but I wanna go…”
-“yippee!”
-“i tried to free your mother, ani, but watto wouldn’t have it.”
-anakin’s goodbye to c3p0
-“i can’t do it, mom. I just can’t do it.”
-"…i guess."
+farewell to jira deleted scene (edited)
-anakin saying goodbye to jira
-darth maul seeing the probe droid return
-Darth maul walking over to his speeder
-“qui-gon, sir. Wait, I’m tired!”
-“tell them to take off!”
-“my guess is it was after the queen.”
-“it is a great gift to see you alive, your majesty. With the communications breakdown, we’ve been very concerned. I’m anxious to hear your report on the situation. May I present supreme chancellor valorum?”
-“im grateful for your concern, chancellor.”
-Anakin turning around when he hears that the situation has become more complicated.
-“the queen’s a being grossly nice meesa thinks. Pitty hot!”
-panoramic shots of coruscant except the final one
-anakin and jar jar outside of Palpatine’s office
-“There is no civility. Only politics. The republic is not what it once was. The senate is full of greedy, squabbling delegates. There is no interest in the common good…”
-“we will use all of our resources to unravel this mystery. We will discover the identity of your attacker.”
-“his cells have the highest concentration of midichlorians I have seen in a lifeform. It is possible he was conceived by the midichlorians.”
-scene where anakin stops by to see padme only to find that she’s on an errand.
-“the chair recognizes the senator from the sovereign system of Naboo.”
-"…which started right here with the taxation of trade routes…"
-"…recently elected ruler of the Naboo…"
-“fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
-“gungans get pasty too, eh?”
-“he is headstrong, and he has much to learn of the living force, but he is capable. There is little more he can learn from me.” and “young Skywalker’s fate will be decided later.”
-"…and draw out the queen’s attacker."
-“this is the clue we need to unravel the mystery of the sith.”
-qui-gon and anakin’s discussion on midichlorians.
-“weesa going home!” and “come on, r2.”
-scene where the neimoidians talk to the emperor about how they’re in complete control of the planet.
-scene where Obi-Wan speaks with the pilot about the droid control ship.
-"…and you’re a much wiser man than I am. I foresee that you will become a great jedi knight."
-“hello very big boss nass, your honor.”
-boss nass “ahhhh…”
-several shots delaying boss nass’ decision
-boss nass’ laugh
-anakin giving the signal to amidala
-boss nass promoting jar jar to general
-“what is the situation?”
-“r2?”
-“once we get to the main entrance, captain Panaka will create a diversion…”
-“without the viceroy, they’ll be lost and confused. What do you think, master jedi?”, “the viceroy will be well-guarded.”, “the difficulty is getting into the throne room. Once we’re inside, we shouldn’t have a problem.”, “there is a possibility that with this diversion, many gungans will be killed.”, “weesa ready to do our part.”, and “we have a plan, which should immobilize the droid army.”
-qui-gon telling anakin to find a safe place to hide
-“i thought the battle was going to take place far from here! This is too close!”
-“ani, find cover! Quick!”
-all shots of anakin finding cover
-r2 being carried into naboo pilot ship
-all shots of anakin entering pilot ship (until he turns the ship on)
-all of Jar jar’s clumsiness during gungan/droid battle
-“my guess is the viceroy’s in the throne room.”, “red group! Blue group! Everybody this way.”, “hey, wait for me.”, “anakin, stay where you are. You’ll be safe there.”, “but I…”, and “stay in that cockpit.”
-“we’ve got to do something, r2.”
-“I’m trying to. I don’t know where the trigger is.”
-“oops! Wrong one. Maybe this one.”
-“nope. Wait, here it is.”
-“uh, it’s on automatic pilot.”
-“try to override it.”
-darth maul showing off to the jedi by flipping around and using the force to throw an object at the doorway instead of hurling it at the jedi.
-“look! There they are! That’s where the automatic pilot’s taking us.”
-“this is tense!”
-“r2, get us off this auto pilot, it’s gonna get us both killed.”
-“you did it, r2!”
-“okay, let’s go left.”
-“go back? Qui-gon told me to stay in this cockpit, so that’s what I’m gonna do.”
-“i’ll try spinning, that’s a good trick.”
-anakin’s aaaaaaahh sound effect
-“i know we’re in trouble, just hang on.”
-padme and amidala decoy splitting up scene.
-anakin’s “aaaaahh” sound effects
-“I’m trying to stop! I’m trying to stop!”
-“oops, this is not good.”
-"…time for you to sign the treaty and end this pointless debate in the senate.", “viceroy, your occupation has ended.”, “after her! This one’s a decoy!”, “captain!”, “jam the doors!”, and “now viceroy, we will discuss a new treaty.”
-“take this!”, “and this!”, “whoa!”, and “oops!”
-“we’re losing power! There seems to be a main problem with the main reactor.”, and “impossible. Nothing can get through our shields!”
-“now this is podracing.” Shocking, I know.
-“whassa they doing?”
-“they are broken!”
-Darth maul’s “huh? What’s he thinking?” Reaction shot
-“your boldness has saved our people, your majesty. It’s you who should be congratulated!”
-jar jar’s sad noise
-jar jar’s silliness during parade

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

Well, that was fast. I’ve just managed to edit my way into the end credits and I’m ready to say that I’ve gotten into the rough cut stage. As of right now, my edit is running at 91 minutes, which is a surprise to me given that I expected it to be shorter. Still, I think being around the 90 minute mark is a pretty good spot to be. I’m still gonna make changes, but as for the general stuff, I’ve gotten that out of the way now. However, I expect that the hard stuff is about to come. I still have to rewrite the opening crawl. I’m gonna see what I can do about some of the transitions, as I’ve had to cut out a lot of wipes and transitions during this fan edit. I’m planning to download Audacity and see what I can do about the sound quality and droid voices.

So yeah, the main stuff is out of the way. The technical stuff is still to come. I’m going to see what I’m allowed to post as far as changes are concerned, but I’m gonna see if I can add more info on what I’ve changed so far.

See you around, and may the force be with you.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

I’ve just downloaded Audacity and I think it’s going to take me a while to understand how it works. In the meantime, though, I think I will take this opportunity to post more of the changes I’ve made for the time being while I get acquainted with sound editing and how it all works. I think I’ll continue where I left off previously.

Queen Amidala’s introduction

Originally, I planned to have Amidala’s intro scene with her sending a message to the Neimoidians. But after looking it over, I realized that when you think about it, it’s a useless scene. All that happens is that Amidala tells the Neimoidians that their trade boycott has ended, how the federation has gone too far this time, and blah blah blah. While the Neimoidians do nothing but deny deny deny. By the end of the scene, nothing is accomplished whatsoever. All that happens is that Naboo’s communications get disrupted. So, I’ve decided to cut it. I’ve also cut out the actual communications disruptions scene as well. It’s a poorly written scene anyway. The governor says “a communications disruption can only mean one thing: invasion.” But I think Mr. Plinkett says it best. “It could also mean you forgot to pay your phone bill.” I also think Amidala’s line “I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war.” is pretty stupid considering that she lets a bunch of gungans die for her cause at the end of the film. So, Amidala’s official intro in this edit is now the scene where she’s alone while the palace is being invaded, which occurs 10 minutes in.

Now, about Jar Jar…

Let’s get this out of the way. Yes, I hate Jar Jar. We all do. However, I agree with both the l8wrtr and HAL9000 edits keeping him in the movie anyway. The problem has to do with the plot. Jar Jar’s involvement near the end of the 2nd act is such a big deal in this film that cutting him out only makes the plot even more complicated than it already is (and this film is already complicated enough). However, what I can do is take out a lot of the really bad moments. I went through the trouble of cutting out a lot of his wild overreactions, poop jokes, and clumsiness for obvious reasons.

We’ll begin with his introduction scene. Now, right off the bat, I took out the first few shots of Jar Jar reacting to the tank. We don’t officially see him until Qui-Gon grabs him. Those first few shots were a bad sign of things to come with this character. So getting rid of them helps.

This leads me to the first official change that I’ve made myself without any influence from other cuts. After Qui-Gon saves his life, Jar Jar says “Hey wait!” Cut to Qui-Gon saying, “Now get out of here!” Bad joke, I know. But it’s so much better without Jar Jar saying he’s intelligent because, “I spek.” Now, the movie gets to the point: Jar Jar is the gungan’s name, Qui-Gon is now his humble servant, and it’s demanded by the gods.

I also took out Jar Jar’s freak out when the droid on a speeder shows up. One of many annoyances I’ve removed from this character. Jar Jar’s line “More? More did you say?” has also been deleted.

Next, we move to the second change I’ve made myself. It’s another bad joke, but it takes so much filler out of the movie. After Jar Jar mentions to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon about Gungan city, Qui-Gon asks if Jar Jar can take them there. Jar Jar responds with “On second thought, no.” Cut to Jar Jar in Gungan city, saying “So good being home.” All of the stuff with swimming underwater to the city, the jedi pulling out those breathing things, and Jar Jar’s ridiculous antics at the lake, are gone in an instant. Now we’re cutting to the chase. And the best thing is that we’re only 7 minutes into the movie now.

Now we’re getting to Jar Jar’s arrest. One of the more disappointing things I ended up keeping was the phrase, “Meesa back!” I tried cutting that phrase out, but when I did, it ruined the pacing of the scene. So, until I find a better alternative, I’m stuck with it. I’d be happy to hear a few suggestions on how to get rid of it. I promise it’s one of the few things I’ve kept. And to prove it, I also took out the line “Yousa in big doo doo this time.” Yeah, anything that involves poodoo, fodder, or just doo doo is going out the door. “How wude.” has also been deleted.

The Boss formerly known as Nass

If you’ve been reading my tomes so far, you’ve already noticed that I’ve included the Gungan City scene in this edit. I know some editors have kicked this scene out. HAL9000 especially. However, I agree with the l8wrtr edit on this one for structural reasons. The Boss Nass scene establishes right away that the gungans don’t like the Naboo, which is a major plot point. That kind of setup is important. With that said, I’ve edited this scene heavily. A lot of the dialogue about Naboo and the Gungans being a symbiote circle and “once those droids take control of the surface, they will take control of you.” has been deleted, since a lot of that dialogue makes no sense. I’ve also taken out all of Nass’s weird noises, as they serve no purpose. The planet core dialogue is gone, too, since it also makes no sense at all. I have kept the stuff involving Qui-Gon getting transport out of the city, though, since that’s how the plot moves on. Jar Jar’s dialogue has been shortened too. I’ve taken out “Theysa settin yousa up. Going through the planet core? Bad Bombin’” However, I’ve kept the line “Any help here would be hot.” Even though it’s a terrible line. The context of that line now has something to do with Jar Jar becoming Qui-Gon’s humble servant. I’ve also taken out his “mmmm”s and “heh-heh’s” during that line delivery. I’m also working on seeing if I can delete Jar Jar’s groaning from the soundtrack after hearing about how he’s going to be… Pune-ished. Jar Jar’s bad joke about how he’s “better dead here than dead in the core” is gone.

I will continue posting other changes over the coming days and weeks as I learn how to take care of the sound.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

Also, the 4k blurays vs the regular bluray is not alot. The movies were only filmed in 2k other than some of Ep I. The 4k blurays have washed out color though. So if you do use them, may want to use the blurays as a color guide. They fixed most of the pink in TPM and only ATOC really still suffers bad grading. Or just use the regular blurays. Would definitely recommend either though over the dvds.

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

Thanks for the advice, Sandman. Unfortunately, I already tried Davinci Resolve, and when I imported the file, the audio became nothing but white noise. All I’m getting is nothing but KRRRRRRRRRRRRR through the whole video. I have no idea what’s going on with that, but it makes editing on Resolve worse than what I’ve got, because at least the audio is crystal clear on Shotcut. If you have a solution for this problem, I’d be happy to hear about it, because Resolve does look pretty good from what I’ve seen.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

However, I am looking for ways to remedy this problem. I’m curious about buying 4K downloads of the prequels (or 1080p, at least)

I recommend you use Schormann’s preservation of TPM as a base for your edit. It’s in 1080p, it’s equivalent to the DVDs changes-wise, and looks way better than either the 2011 HD Blu Ray or the 2020 4K Blu Ray.

Death of the Author

Author
Time

SparkySywer said:

However, I am looking for ways to remedy this problem. I’m curious about buying 4K downloads of the prequels (or 1080p, at least)

I recommend you use Schormann’s preservation of TPM as a base for your edit. It’s in 1080p, it’s equivalent to the DVDs changes-wise, and looks way better than either the 2011 HD Blu Ray or the 2020 4K Blu Ray.

Thanks for the info. Do I obtain it by sending PM’s to schorman13?

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

SparkySywer said:

However, I am looking for ways to remedy this problem. I’m curious about buying 4K downloads of the prequels (or 1080p, at least)

I recommend you use Schormann’s preservation of TPM as a base for your edit. It’s in 1080p, it’s equivalent to the DVDs changes-wise, and looks way better than either the 2011 HD Blu Ray or the 2020 4K Blu Ray.

I really disagree. It may not be as DNRed but it’s overly cropped, noisy and has really bad edge enhancement. The 4K release is the best this movie has looked short of someone scanning an original theatrical print.

Author
Time

Eyepainter said:

Thanks for the advice, Sandman. Unfortunately, I already tried Davinci Resolve, and when I imported the file, the audio became nothing but white noise. All I’m getting is nothing but KRRRRRRRRRRRRR through the whole video. I have no idea what’s going on with that, but it makes editing on Resolve worse than what I’ve got, because at least the audio is crystal clear on Shotcut. If you have a solution for this problem, I’d be happy to hear about it, because Resolve does look pretty good from what I’ve seen.

How old is your dvd rip? It may have problems with old file types, idk. Try something else new in there, if it works, its your file. If a new video doesn’t work, then something with your computer. Davinci Resolve should work just fine though. Ive seen lots of videos of professionals who switched to Resolve. Not needed though, there are other programs if you fancy.

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Eyepainter said:

Thanks for the advice, Sandman. Unfortunately, I already tried Davinci Resolve, and when I imported the file, the audio became nothing but white noise. All I’m getting is nothing but KRRRRRRRRRRRRR through the whole video. I have no idea what’s going on with that, but it makes editing on Resolve worse than what I’ve got, because at least the audio is crystal clear on Shotcut. If you have a solution for this problem, I’d be happy to hear about it, because Resolve does look pretty good from what I’ve seen.

How old is your dvd rip? It may have problems with old file types, idk. Try something else new in there, if it works, its your file. If a new video doesn’t work, then something with your computer. Davinci Resolve should work just fine though. Ive seen lots of videos of professionals who switched to Resolve. Not needed though, there are other programs if you fancy.

I ripped the DVD from a program called MakeMKV, which I’ve been told is pretty reliable. Still, I decided to try ripping Episode II (It’s a newer movie, after all), and see what happens. Long story short, it’s even worse. Every time I drag the file into the media bin in Resolve, it does nothing. So, my conclusion is that Resolve refuses to work with ripped DVD files.

It’s no better on Shotcut either. Whenever I try to save the file, the program freezes for a half hour or so before finally giving me an error message that says that it couldn’t save the file, and to please try again. I’ve tried again repeatedly, and the same thing happens repeatedly.

Anyway, I’m gonna go do a little research into the Schormann preservation that SparkySywer mentioned. It’s possible that it might work with Resolve. I would try buying the blu-ray, but my brother took my external blu-ray drive a few years back, and it’s now hundreds of miles where I can’t reach it. Plus, I don’t want to spend $60-$100 on another one.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

I’ve got two updates.

First, I decided to PM Schorman13, and I now have the HDTV preservations for all three prequels. Plus, I’m working on editing them on DaVinci Resolve instead of Shotcut. However, like my DVD files, Resolve didn’t accept the HD files. I decided to look some things up, and Resolve doesn’t accept MKV files unless they’re converted to DNxHD ideally (DNxHD 1080p is the best way to preserve the quality). I downloaded a video converter called EaseFab, which I hoped would convert the file for free, but as it turns out, it only converts the first 3 minutes until I pay up. Still, I did get those 3 minutes onto Resolve, and the quality looks identical to the MKV file, so it works. I’m waiting for my paycheck to show up in the next couple of days so that I can buy the full package and convert the whole movie. It’s inconvenient, but it’s temporary.

Which leads me to my second update. Now that I’m working with an HD source, I’ve just found out that I don’t have any way to add in deleted scenes at this moment, or at the very least, ones that look good. I know that other fan edits have found upscaled versions of the deleted scenes, so I know it’s far from impossible. I’m gonna be looking into this and seeing if I can find those over the next few days. For those who want specifics, I’m looking for two deleted scenes: Anakin’s confrontation with Greedo, and Farewell to Jira. If you happen to have upscaled versions of those two scenes, and would like to send me a link, feel free to PM me. I’d be happy to use them.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Eyepainter said:

I’ve got two updates.

First, I decided to PM Schorman13, and I now have the HDTV preservations for all three prequels. Plus, I’m working on editing them on DaVinci Resolve instead of Shotcut. However, like my DVD files, Resolve didn’t accept the HD files. I decided to look some things up, and Resolve doesn’t accept MKV files unless they’re converted to DNxHD ideally (DNxHD 1080p is the best way to preserve the quality). I downloaded a video converter called EaseFab, which I hoped would convert the file for free, but as it turns out, it only converts the first 3 minutes until I pay up. Still, I did get those 3 minutes onto Resolve, and the quality looks identical to the MKV file, so it works. I’m waiting for my paycheck to show up in the next couple of days so that I can buy the full package and convert the whole movie. It’s inconvenient, but it’s temporary.

Which leads me to my second update. Now that I’m working with an HD source, I’ve just found out that I don’t have any way to add in deleted scenes at this moment, or at the very least, ones that look good. I know that other fan edits have found upscaled versions of the deleted scenes, so I know it’s far from impossible. I’m gonna be looking into this and seeing if I can find those over the next few days. For those who want specifics, I’m looking for two deleted scenes: Anakin’s confrontation with Greedo, and Farewell to Jira. If you happen to have upscaled versions of those two scenes, and would like to send me a link, feel free to PM me. I’d be happy to use them.

Hal9000 is the best source for deleted scene atm.
For resolve i just use Handbrake Super HQ 1080p30 Surround MP4 H.264 AAC stereo; Dolby Digital (AC-3). Im not a pro or tech at video stuff, and its also has to work in After Effects for me.

Inside resolve though, make sure you set your composition settings to custom. Or you’ll get black bars

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/official-presets.html

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Eyepainter said:

I’ve got two updates.

First, I decided to PM Schorman13, and I now have the HDTV preservations for all three prequels. Plus, I’m working on editing them on DaVinci Resolve instead of Shotcut. However, like my DVD files, Resolve didn’t accept the HD files. I decided to look some things up, and Resolve doesn’t accept MKV files unless they’re converted to DNxHD ideally (DNxHD 1080p is the best way to preserve the quality). I downloaded a video converter called EaseFab, which I hoped would convert the file for free, but as it turns out, it only converts the first 3 minutes until I pay up. Still, I did get those 3 minutes onto Resolve, and the quality looks identical to the MKV file, so it works. I’m waiting for my paycheck to show up in the next couple of days so that I can buy the full package and convert the whole movie. It’s inconvenient, but it’s temporary.

Which leads me to my second update. Now that I’m working with an HD source, I’ve just found out that I don’t have any way to add in deleted scenes at this moment, or at the very least, ones that look good. I know that other fan edits have found upscaled versions of the deleted scenes, so I know it’s far from impossible. I’m gonna be looking into this and seeing if I can find those over the next few days. For those who want specifics, I’m looking for two deleted scenes: Anakin’s confrontation with Greedo, and Farewell to Jira. If you happen to have upscaled versions of those two scenes, and would like to send me a link, feel free to PM me. I’d be happy to use them.

Hal9000 is the best source for deleted scene atm.
For resolve i just use Handbrake Super HQ 1080p30 Surround MP4 H.264 AAC stereo; Dolby Digital (AC-3). Im not a pro or tech at video stuff, and its also has to work in After Effects for me.

Inside resolve though, make sure you set your composition settings to custom. Or you’ll get black bars

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/official-presets.html

I used Handbrake in the past when I downloaded Harmy’s Despecialized Editions back in spring, and the quality I got was highly compressed and took away a lot of the finer details. Still, I don’t think I used the Super HQ setting before, so maybe I’m just impatient (For whatever reason, or maybe because it’s my computer, it takes a ridiculously long time for Handbrake to convert the files. Last time I used it, it took nearly 8 hours to convert an MKV file to mp4).

Anyway, I’ll see if I can PM HAL9000. I’ve seen his prequel fan edits, and the quality on those edits were amazing.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Eyepainter said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Eyepainter said:

I’ve got two updates.

First, I decided to PM Schorman13, and I now have the HDTV preservations for all three prequels. Plus, I’m working on editing them on DaVinci Resolve instead of Shotcut. However, like my DVD files, Resolve didn’t accept the HD files. I decided to look some things up, and Resolve doesn’t accept MKV files unless they’re converted to DNxHD ideally (DNxHD 1080p is the best way to preserve the quality). I downloaded a video converter called EaseFab, which I hoped would convert the file for free, but as it turns out, it only converts the first 3 minutes until I pay up. Still, I did get those 3 minutes onto Resolve, and the quality looks identical to the MKV file, so it works. I’m waiting for my paycheck to show up in the next couple of days so that I can buy the full package and convert the whole movie. It’s inconvenient, but it’s temporary.

Which leads me to my second update. Now that I’m working with an HD source, I’ve just found out that I don’t have any way to add in deleted scenes at this moment, or at the very least, ones that look good. I know that other fan edits have found upscaled versions of the deleted scenes, so I know it’s far from impossible. I’m gonna be looking into this and seeing if I can find those over the next few days. For those who want specifics, I’m looking for two deleted scenes: Anakin’s confrontation with Greedo, and Farewell to Jira. If you happen to have upscaled versions of those two scenes, and would like to send me a link, feel free to PM me. I’d be happy to use them.

Hal9000 is the best source for deleted scene atm.
For resolve i just use Handbrake Super HQ 1080p30 Surround MP4 H.264 AAC stereo; Dolby Digital (AC-3). Im not a pro or tech at video stuff, and its also has to work in After Effects for me.

Inside resolve though, make sure you set your composition settings to custom. Or you’ll get black bars

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/official-presets.html

I used Handbrake in the past when I downloaded Harmy’s Despecialized Editions back in spring, and the quality I got was highly compressed and took away a lot of the finer details. Still, I don’t think I used the Super HQ setting before, so maybe I’m just impatient (For whatever reason, or maybe because it’s my computer, it takes a ridiculously long time for Handbrake to convert the files. Last time I used it, it took nearly 8 hours to convert an MKV file to mp4).

Anyway, I’ll see if I can PM HAL9000. I’ve seen his prequel fan edits, and the quality on those edits were amazing.

Yea if you dont adjust the settings or use the right one it wont look good. Super HQ but also set the RF bar to 0. If you do a h.264 or h.265 with Rf to O at Super HQ 1080p then it should be lossless, but it will take a while to render and file size will be large. This also keeps the surround sound files

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

Alright, it’s been a while, so here’s an update. I decided to try both options for Resolve. I tried TheAlaskanSandman’s method of using Handbrake and converting the files to mp4, and I also bit the bullet and bought EaseFab in its entirety, which means I also got the file converted to DNxHD 1080p. Between the two, I found the DNxHD file ran with Resolve perfectly, while the mp4 file, for whatever reason, was ridiculously slow to the point where my computer couldn’t catch up. So, I’m sticking with the DNxHD.

As for the deleted scenes, it’s a long story. I PM’d HAL9000, and while I did get the links, unfortunately, he doesn’t have all of the scenes. I’m still waiting to see which scenes are available because the Schorman HD files I downloaded this week exceeded my quota on Google Drive (Patience, my young padawan, patience). HAL informed me that he got the files from DrDre, so I decided to PM DrDre, and even more unfortunately, he doesn’t have the links anymore. So, for the time being, things are looking grim on the deleted scenes. I won’t know what scenes I do have until I’m allowed back onto Google Drive, but that’s the situation.

In the meantime, though, I’m having a blast going back and re-editing the DNxHD to a very close approximation of the DVD file I used when I was editing on Shotcut. I’m cutting out Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Jar Jar’s underwater adventure as I type this.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Eyepainter said:

Alright, it’s been a while, so here’s an update. I decided to try both options for Resolve. I tried TheAlaskanSandman’s method of using Handbrake and converting the files to mp4, and I also bit the bullet and bought EaseFab in its entirety, which means I also got the file converted to DNxHD 1080p. Between the two, I found the DNxHD file ran with Resolve perfectly, while the mp4 file, for whatever reason, was ridiculously slow to the point where my computer couldn’t catch up. So, I’m sticking with the DNxHD.

As for the deleted scenes, it’s a long story. I PM’d HAL9000, and while I did get the links, unfortunately, he doesn’t have all of the scenes. I’m still waiting to see which scenes are available because the Schorman HD files I downloaded this week exceeded my quota on Google Drive (Patience, my young padawan, patience). HAL informed me that he got the files from DrDre, so I decided to PM DrDre, and even more unfortunately, he doesn’t have the links anymore. So, for the time being, things are looking grim on the deleted scenes. I won’t know what scenes I do have until I’m allowed back onto Google Drive, but that’s the situation.

In the meantime, though, I’m having a blast going back and re-editing the DNxHD to a very close approximation of the DVD file I used when I was editing on Shotcut. I’m cutting out Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Jar Jar’s underwater adventure as I type this.

(The reason is because MP4 movie files are compressed files, while DNxHD is a codec meant for post production. Like Apple Prores files, they’re much larger, but offer more stability for you NLE. With any compressed footage, such as Mp4, H.264, AVCHD, etc, it will hinder your NLE, forcing the system to work harder with what it’s given. They’re are not ideal for in-depth editing, such as color grading or compositing.

If you do not plan to do any major editing, as in just piecing clips together, then MP4 files are fine. Anything beyond that, you’re better off with DNxHD or Prores.)

This is apparently why. Had me curious as im learning some of these things too. Good to know so when i do AOTC or any new scenes, itd be good for me to do the same. Ill have to see if that works in After Effects.

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

One thing you should do it to remove all the “oops” and “oh oh” from Anakin. That makes him feel more adult and the action more believable.
You can even make him go into the space battle willingly. Actually makes more sense if he just decides to go, it’s more in character.

Author
Time

Also, having Padme live once you get to Episode III fixes a major plot hole from ROTJ.

Author
Time

4throck said:

One thing you should do it to remove all the “oops” and “oh oh” from Anakin. That makes him feel more adult and the action more believable.
You can even make him go into the space battle willingly. Actually makes more sense if he just decides to go, it’s more in character.

You’ll be happy to know that I’m doing both with this edit (of course, I still have to educate myself on how to remove dialogue and sound effects from Resolve, but that shouldn’t be too much of a problem, since the link is easy to find in Resolve. Even then, I’ve been able to kill off a lot of whoops and yippees just from cutting them).

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

Well, since I haven’t talked about changes lately, I think now’s a good time to return to that.

Sleeping with the fishes…

When I last left our heroes, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Jar Jar met Boss Nass. Now, we approach an entirely useless grouping of scenes where they travel underwater and get attacked by a bunch of fishes. Yeah. I’m cutting those scenes out in their entirety. I’m not even saving Jar Jar’s supposed character background about how clumsy he is. Not that anybody cares about that. The whole thing is unnecessary, so what’s the point of keeping it in?

Scheduled invasions and naive queens…

Somewhere in between the above mentioned useless scenes is one that I’m having a debate over. In this scene, the Neimoidians are talking with Sidious about the invasion being on schedule, how the senate will have no choice but to accept the invasion, and how Queen Amidala is young and naive. This is an exposition heavy scene, and on the one hand, I suppose it might have some useful info for the audience. And I also think the mention of Queen Amidala being young and naive adds a bit of superiority to the villains, since it implies they know how to deal with this situation better than the queen. But on the other hand, it’s a scene that is so boring and filled with a lot of stuff about the senate. I’m sorta leaning towards deleting it, but it’s currently a toss-up for now.

However, if I do choose to keep this scene, I have still removed the last two lines, “you did not tell him about the missing jedi”, and “no need to report that until we have something to report”. These two lines make the Neimoidians look like idiots, and anything to make these guys smarter is a good thing.

Feel free to express your thoughts on this scene.

Invasion

It says a lot that this scene now occurs 10 minutes into the movie, as opposed to 20 minutes in the theatrical cut. We’re now in this scene in about half the time.

So, I have kept the droids taking over the palace, as well as Amidala by herself as the droids invade outside the window. However, I’ve taken out the short conversation with the Neimoidians and the droid about how the queen has been captured. I think the previous visuals made that point clear already, so the two lines “Viceroy, we have captured the queen”, and “victory” are out.

I’ve also removed the stairway scene where the Neimoidians talk about the treaty with Amidala and how she won’t cooperate and how the Neimoidians tell her she will cooperate when she sees the suffering of her people and blah blah blah. Yeah, it’s a boring scene, and it does nothing but give us more political dialogue we never asked for. And in case you’re wondering, the droid dialogue in this scene is also gone because I removed the whole scene.

Escape from Naboo

So Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Jar Jar arrive at the palace. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan make their move, jump down and attack the droids while Jar Jar just… gets caught in something and starts yelling about it. I’d like to remove that Jar Jar bit, but the shot in question is the only one that shows Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan jumping off. I do plan to learn sound editing on Resolve soon enough, so there’s a good chance I could remove Jar Jar’s annoying yells during that shot. In fact, I’ve cut out Jar Jar’s annoying line “Meesa got bombat” or whatever he was saying at the end of the confrontation. I have no idea what he said, and I don’t care.

I’m keeping the moment where Qui-Gon talks with the governor about what’s happened. However, I’m taking out the line, “We’re ambassadors for the supreme chancellor” because I intend to change the opening crawl so that Chancellor Vallorum isn’t the one who sends the jedi, but the governor. This places less emphasis on the senate, and more emphasis on Naboo, which is where the central focus should’ve been on from the start (Not saying it’s perfect, but at least there’s no “taxation of trade routes”-level boredom going on).

Before Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon slice up some more droids and free the pilots, I’ve made quite a few changes. The first change I’ve made is the removal of Qui-Gon’s line, “won’t be a problem”. That line ruins the tension instantly. If the jedi aren’t worried about this, then it only stands to reason that we aren’t worried about this, since we’ve been following these two since the beginning. The governor’s line “They wouldn’t dare” has also been removed, since it’s a pointless and cliched line. I’ve taken out most of the end of this conversation, since it doesn’t get to the point. I started off by taking out Amidala’s horrible line reading “Either choice presents great danger… To us all” and took everything else out until Amidala says “Then I will plead our case to the senate.” That gets the point across much faster.

As for the actual confrontation with the droids, I decided to rip off the l8wrtr edit here, take out all of the droid’s indecision, and go straight to the droid saying, “You’re under arrest.” Straightforward, and to the point. With that said, pretty much all of the action that happens in this scene is intact. I would cut out more from this scene if I could, but I can’t find anything so extremely bad that it warrants being left on the cutting room floor.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

I have another update. I finally got to download the HAL9000 upscaled deleted scenes, and… There’s no soundtrack. The files are as silent as Fritz Lang’s Metropolis. So, I decided to pull out my DVD files again and see if EaseFab could convert them to DNxHD. They went through, but the quality is obviously not 1080p. Still, it’s better than nothing at the moment.

I’ll see if any possibilities of getting the deleted scenes in HD are available, but for now, they’re in DVD quality until further notice. Sorry, folks. I tried. Still, if there’s another way to improve the quality, I’d be happy to know about it. Feel free to let me know if you have a solution.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

The audio files are separate, and are in a separate folder. SD video files are included for sync reference.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

The audio files are separate, and are in a separate folder. SD video files are included for sync reference.

Alright, my mistake. I’ll go find them.

Sorry about the mess.

Author
Time

I know it’s not ideal. It was just what I had leftover from what I was doing.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.