Sign In

ESB or TESB?

Author
Time

Technically, TESB makes more sense, but ESB just looks better and is easier to say. Though I usually just prefer to call it Empire.

Author
Time

Funny this thread should come up - I was just wondering this the other day. I’ve mostly called it ESB, probably because that seems to be the more common abbreviation, but realise this is inconsistent with the other films. For example, people tend to include the “T” in “TPM”, “TFA”, “TLJ” and “TROS”.

If searching on Google for things related to Empire, “ESB” is far more lucrative.

Author
Time

TESB.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SparkySywer said:

I don’t think I’ve seen it called TESB in a good part of a decade

The reason This thread came to mind was because someone called it that in a thread I was following.

Pay it no mind.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Bluto said:

Funny this thread should come up - I was just wondering this the other day. I’ve mostly called it ESB, probably because that seems to be the more common abbreviation, but realise this is inconsistent with the other films. For example, people tend to include the “T” in “TPM”, “TFA”, “TLJ” and “TROS”.

If searching on Google for things related to Empire, “ESB” is far more lucrative.

I think the reason why TPM, TFA, TLJ, and TRoS caught on where TESB did not is because the first four only have two words if you exclude grammatical particles, but the Empire Strikes Back has three. Same thing with A New Hope, because if you can exclude “the” you should be able to exclude “a”.

Death of the Author

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SparkySywer said:

Bluto said:

Funny this thread should come up - I was just wondering this the other day. I’ve mostly called it ESB, probably because that seems to be the more common abbreviation, but realise this is inconsistent with the other films. For example, people tend to include the “T” in “TPM”, “TFA”, “TLJ” and “TROS”.

If searching on Google for things related to Empire, “ESB” is far more lucrative.

I think the reason why TPM, TFA, TLJ, and TRoS caught on where TESB did not is because the first four only have two words if you exclude grammatical particles, but the Empire Strikes Back has three. Same thing with A New Hope, because if you can exclude “the” you should be able to exclude “a”.

Well that kind of ends the debate.

Pay it no mind.

Author
Time

TESB

Otherwise you should drop the T from all the other abreviations. PM instead of TPM. FA instead of TFA. LJ instead of TLJ. ROS instead of TROS. And you could make the argument for dropping it from 3 others for AOC, ROS and ROJ. The word THE is there in the title logo and has been since the first promotional items came out.

Author
Time

Star Wars
Star Wars 2: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Jedi
Star Wars 4: The Beginning
Star Wars 5: Jar Jar’s Great Adventure
Star Wars 6: The Creeping Fear
Star Wars 7: The Clone Wars
Star Wars 8: Shadow of the Empire
Star Wars 9: Underworld: Dark Times
Star Wars 10: Space Bear
Star Wars 11: Underworld 2
Star Wars 12: Duel of the Fates

Author
Time

timdiggerm said:

Star Wars
Star Wars 2: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Jedi
Star Wars 4: The Beginning
Star Wars 5: Jar Jar’s Great Adventure
Star Wars 6: The Creeping Fear
Star Wars 7: The Clone Wars
Star Wars 8: Shadow of the Empire
Star Wars 9: Underworld: Dark Times
Star Wars 10: Space Bear
Star Wars 11: Underworld 2
Star Wars 12: Duel of the Fates

Sign me right up for this timeline.

Star Wars 5: Jar Jar’s Great Adventure
Star Wars 6: The Creeping Fear

Also, why do I get the uneasy sense that these titles are connected to each other. The “creeping fear” being that Jar Jar is really the mastermind behind all this.

Author
Time

Servii said:

timdiggerm said:

Star Wars
Star Wars 2: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars 3: Revenge of the Jedi
Star Wars 4: The Beginning
Star Wars 5: Jar Jar’s Great Adventure
Star Wars 6: The Creeping Fear
Star Wars 7: The Clone Wars
Star Wars 8: Shadow of the Empire
Star Wars 9: Underworld: Dark Times
Star Wars 10: Space Bear
Star Wars 11: Underworld 2
Star Wars 12: Duel of the Fates

Sign me right up for this timeline.

Star Wars 5: Jar Jar’s Great Adventure
Star Wars 6: The Creeping Fear

Also, why do I get the uneasy sense that these titles are connected to each other. The “creeping fear” being that Jar Jar is really the mastermind behind all this.

In case it wasn’t clear, I made up essentially none of those titles

Author
Time

Star Wars: Episode I: The Force Awakens
Star Wars: Episode II: The Rise of Skywalker
Star Wars: Episode III: Attack of the Clones
Star Wars: Episode IV: Return of the Jedi
Star Wars: Episode V: Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars: Episode VI: The Last Jedi
Star Wars: Episode VII: The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: Episode VIII: A New Hope
Star Wars: Episode IX: The Phantom Menace