Sign In

Dracula 1979 - The original theatrical color version — Page 4

Author
Time

Thank you so much!!!

John Williams & Star Wars fan !

Author
Time

ITHoTMK said:

I’ve finished and updated the latest and final version. I’ve messaged you all with the new link. If I missed you please feel free to PM me. Cheers.

Downloaded the updated version and made a quick side by side comparison with your first one on my iMac using Quicktime player. So, here are my impressions:

Since (thanks to Universal pictures) we don’t have access to a proper studio scan of the original negative with the original color timing, I have to rely on my memories of the theatrical showings I attended to back in the day. My most vivid memories of those are the golden warm tones of the technicolor photography by Gilbert Taylor, especially in skin tones and imho your first version is closer to that.

But, the new updated version enhances the whites and the blues bringing a more natural tone to the overall color palette. So, as I said, the problem is I’m not sure if “natural color” is something we could apply to the original technicolor version of “Dracula”

Luckily, I don’t have to choose since I like and have both versions stored for future viewings. And once more, I can’t thank you enough for that. Let’s hope some day Universal unleashes the original theatrical version for all of us die-hard fans of the movie as it was intended.

If my impressions change after watching it digitally projected I’ll keep you posted.

Many thanks for all your efforts in this project and my best regards

Author
Time
 (Edited)

countdraacu said:

ITHoTMK said:

I’ve finished and updated the latest and final version. I’ve messaged you all with the new link. If I missed you please feel free to PM me. Cheers.

Downloaded the updated version and made a quick side by side comparison with your first one on my iMac using Quicktime player. So, here are my impressions:

Since (thanks to Universal pictures) we don’t have access to a proper studio scan of the original negative with the original color timing, I have to rely on my memories of the theatrical showings I attended to back in the day. My most vivid memories of those are the golden warm tones of the technicolor photography by Gilbert Taylor, especially in skin tones and imho your first version is closer to that.

But, the new updated version enhances the whites and the blues bringing a more natural tone to the overall color palette. So, as I said, the problem is I’m not sure if “natural color” is something we could apply to the original technicolor version of “Dracula”

Luckily, I don’t have to choose since I like and have both versions stored for future viewings. And once more, I can’t thank you enough for that. Let’s hope some day Universal unleashes the original theatrical version for all of us die-hard fans of the movie as it was intended.

If my impressions change after watching it digitally projected I’ll keep you posted.

Many thanks for all your efforts in this project and my best regards

Yep, that was the goal with this version. To strike a more balanced look overall. I appreciate you noticing although I do agree with you about the first version. I was more focused on that golden look but could see that other areas of the film were sacrificed. I wager there’s room for both of these versions to be combined and perhaps something I’ll tend to when I have more time. I’m just appreciative that there are still fans of this film out there who appreciate the movie for what it was. It certainly struck a nerve for me when I was a kid which is why I’ve put so much time into it.

Author
Time

hello, how to have the link? Sorry, I do not speak English (google trad) and I do not know how to send an MP. Thank you so much.

Author
Time

Hi ITHOmTMK,

I would love to get a link to see one of my favorite movies, Dracula, in the correct format. I saw your sizzle real and it was fantastic. Hope to hear from you!

Thank you!

Author
Time

For anyone who would like a link please send me a PM via private topic. Thank you.

Author
Time

Hey, ITHoTMK!! I was a member here a few years ago but I’ve had to completely re-register here again due to me completely forgetting everything. I would love to see your version of Dracula. I only watched the BD last week and it’s horrendous. If you could send me a link, I’d be very much obliged. Thanks in advance.

Author
Time

I removed the previous link as I’ve done a third and final pass on the color correction. This is the version I’m most personally satisfied with having been given access to samples of the film aside from the VHS viewing copies as a reference. A new link will be available later this week. Until then, and as always, please enjoy this updated version of the sizzle reel.

https://vimeo.com/295047399

Author
Time

Sizzle Reel of your updated version looks excellent, definite improvement on the first version which in itself was very good compared with the Badham atrocity. Looking forward to the updated link.

Author
Time

I like the improvement in third CC and looking forward to it. Since your source is grainy I’d suggest you to utilize full capacity of BD25 if possible, as your first two ~11GB renders have some macroblocking here and there.

You really only need to hang mean bastards,
but mean bastards you need to hang.

John ‘The Hangman’ Ruth

Author
Time

There are actually two exported versions. The one I’ve been sharing was exported at 15mbps for a file size of 12.55GB. The master export is at 50mbps for a file size of 41.2GB however I won’t be hosting that version. As for the Bluray source I think we can all agree that it’s not the best of transfers and very little was done to restore it. With the color correction work done unfortunately it reveals some of the imperfections of that transfer.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

+1 on a bd25 if possible or even the perfect scenario, I would really love to see the larger export 41.2gb. As per RDPlisken, did notice some macroblocking on the original 11gb render due to the graininess of this movie.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The third and final version of the color correction of DRACULA 35mm Silver Screen Edition is now available. PLEASE PM ME FOR A LINK. I hope you can all appreciate the amount of work that went into this project. It is my hope that eventually Universal Pictures will re-release this film providing John Badham’s preferred grading as well as the original process when the film was released. I appreciate that we are all fans and previously own a copy of the film on Laserdisc, DVD and/or Bluray.

For those who previously had the link I’ve tried to message you all and update you on this new link.

Author
Time

ITHoTMK said:

The third and final version of the color correction of DRACULA 35mm Silver Screen Edition is now available. PLEASE PM ME FOR A LINK. I hope you can all appreciate the amount of work that went into this project. It is my hope that eventually Universal Pictures will re-release this film providing John Badham’s preferred grading as well as the original process when the film was released. I appreciate that we are all fans and previously own a copy of the film on Laserdisc, DVD and/or Bluray.

For those who previously had the link I’ve tried to message you all and update you on this new link.

As someone who has watched your previous versions of “Dracula” digitally projected on a big screen I must say your 12GB rendered version looks fantastic as it is. No need for bigger file at least for me.

Just commenting to the rest of the fans the John Williams Score of the film, recently remastered and expanded by Mike Mattesino for Varèse Sarabande is a total masterpiece. As someone who listened hundreds of times the MCA vinyl release I must say listening the new complete edition is pretty much “orgasmic” Contains the expanded/complete version and the original album release of one of William’s best original scores ever!

Once more, thanks a lot for the gift of a 3rd version of “Dracula” ITHoTMK. A great gift for all of us 😃

Author
Time

countdraacu said:
As someone who has watched your previous versions of “Dracula” digitally projected on a big screen I must say your 12GB rendered version looks fantastic as it is. No need for bigger file at least for me.

Just commenting to the rest of the fans the John Williams Score of the film, recently remastered and expanded by Mike Mattesino for Varèse Sarabande is a total masterpiece. As someone who listened hundreds of times the MCA vinyl release I must say listening the new complete edition is pretty much “orgasmic” Contains the expanded/complete version and the original album release of one of William’s best original scores ever!

Once more, thanks a lot for the gift of a 3rd version of “Dracula” ITHoTMK. A great gift for all of us 😃

Thank you for the kinds words. For anyone who would like this ABSOLUTE FINAL version of the color grading please send me a private message.

Author
Time

Puggo - Jar Jar’s Yoda said:

<div class=“PostQuote”><span class=“Bold”>InvisibleWolfMan</span> said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dracula-LD-Frank-Langella-Laurence-Olivier_W0QQitemZ160221340632QQihZ006QQcategoryZ381QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
This is the only laserdisc I found on ebay which does not have the 1990 Universal logo on it, so it SHOULD be what you are looking for (the text graphics scream 1980’s). It’s got a BUY IT NOW option. Hope this helps you.</div>

Since it was so cheap, and has sat there for a couple of days, I just went ahead and bought it. If you like, I can try to do the transfer myself (I have the equipment but only an average LD player). At that price I thought there was no point to letting it get away. If the OP wants to do a transfer, he can buy it from me for the same $8.99 I just paid. I remember it being a nice-looking movie when I saw the real color version on cable a couple of years ago… interestingly, I’ve not ever seen the more common “faux black & white” version.

I love to see the original color version of the film. Does anyone have a copy to share ?

Author
Time

ITHoTMK said:

I removed the previous link as I’ve done a third and final pass on the color correction. This is the version I’m most personally satisfied with having been given access to samples of the film aside from the VHS viewing copies as a reference. A new link will be available later this week. Until then, and as always, please enjoy this updated version of the sizzle reel.

https://vimeo.com/295047399

Do you have a complete copy of the restored color edition to share.i loved to watch it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

bloodmoon said:

ITHoTMK said:

I removed the previous link as I’ve done a third and final pass on the color correction. This is the version I’m most personally satisfied with having been given access to samples of the film aside from the VHS viewing copies as a reference. A new link will be available later this week. Until then, and as always, please enjoy this updated version of the sizzle reel.

https://vimeo.com/295047399

Do you have a complete copy of the restored color edition to share.i loved to watch it.

Please send me a PM for a direct link.

AND PLEASE BE ADVISED TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE FOR BEST QUALITY AS OPPOSED TO STREAMING IT FOR PLAYBACK.

Author
Time

Just hearing that first “Owwww-oooooo” howl before the bat takes wing and I see the beginning of the latest SSE version makes me shiver joyfully (I do love to be frightened…sometimes). They’ve all looked great, as countdraacu noted, but I’d say this one positively stakes, er, nails it! 😃

Author
Time

ITHoTMK said:

bloodmoon said:

ITHoTMK said:

I removed the previous link as I’ve done a third and final pass on the color correction. This is the version I’m most personally satisfied with having been given access to samples of the film aside from the VHS viewing copies as a reference. A new link will be available later this week. Until then, and as always, please enjoy this updated version of the sizzle reel.

https://vimeo.com/295047399

Do you have a complete copy of the restored color edition to share.i loved to watch it.

Please send me a PM for a direct link.

AND PLEASE BE ADVISED TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE FOR BEST QUALITY AS OPPOSED TO STREAMING IT FOR PLAYBACK.

how do i pm u for thr download link of the full restored movie?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

bloodmoon said:

ITHoTMK said:

bloodmoon said:

ITHoTMK said:

I removed the previous link as I’ve done a third and final pass on the color correction. This is the version I’m most personally satisfied with having been given access to samples of the film aside from the VHS viewing copies as a reference. A new link will be available later this week. Until then, and as always, please enjoy this updated version of the sizzle reel.

https://vimeo.com/295047399

Do you have a complete copy of the restored color edition to share.i loved to watch it.

Please send me a PM for a direct link.

AND PLEASE BE ADVISED TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE FOR BEST QUALITY AS OPPOSED TO STREAMING IT FOR PLAYBACK.

how do i pm u for thr download link of the full restored movie?

Click on my profile. Start a private topic.

Author
Time

thanks for v3 link. effort much appreciated!

You really only need to hang mean bastards,
but mean bastards you need to hang.

John ‘The Hangman’ Ruth

Author
Time

I cannot tell you how amazing it is to hear about this project you have undertaken to restore the 1979 Dracula to its original color timing. I have sent you a pm. I would love to be able to watch the movie as I remember seeing when I was about 10. The laserdisc, DVD and Blu Ray’s have all been shockingly awful. I hope that Universal get to see your hard work and give it a wide release. Congratulations and well done for doing this.

Author
Time

lipmystocking said:

I cannot tell you how amazing it is to hear about this project you have undertaken to restore the 1979 Dracula to its original color timing. I have sent you a pm. I would love to be able to watch the movie as I remember seeing when I was about 10. The laserdisc, DVD and Blu Ray’s have all been shockingly awful. I hope that Universal get to see your hard work and give it a wide release. Congratulations and well done for doing this.

Thank you for the kind words. I also hope for an official release and restoration of the film.