Sign In

Dom's Useless Prequel Edits — Page 3

Author
Time

Very interested, though I can’t guarantee I’ll have time to actually sit and watch it until a week or two from now.

Author
Time

Wow, didn’t expect this many people to be interested. (If I’d known that I would’ve put out workprints earlier and not watched through my first three cuts all by myself.) Anyway, I’ll probably have an export done by the weekend and I’ll send it out to all those who expressed interest. If you can’t get around to it right away, don’t worry about it (I probably won’t watch it myself right away either).

Author
Time

I’d also be quite interested to take a look if that’s ok?

Author
Time

Ditto. These sound super interesting.

Author
Time

Alright, exported and uploaded. I’ll be sending out shortly.

No deadline for feedback or whatever, just get back to me when/if you can. Any and all notes are welcome, though I will say stuff like “I don’t like this scene” isn’t necessarily helpful, unless you give reasoning as to why. I’d specifically say that I’d like notes on the narrative structure (particularly the first half), and how you feel about the believability of Anakin’s turn. Technically, I didn’t export full quality, so don’t worry too much about compression or whatever. I would like people to keep an eye out for my color correction (if it works, it it looks good, if it’s gone too far in spots, whatever) and especially my audio editing (no my strong suit).

(by the way, if you’re wanting to take a close look at the color, I’d recommend playing in VLC, no Quicktime, which I’ve recently learned messes with the saturation)

There are other things I’ll ask for feedback on after people have watched, but I don’t want to color your opinions about these things beforehand.

Also, don’t feel like you have to give a lot of feedback or whatever, only give as much as you can/are willing to. No obligations here, just happy for whatever help I can get.

Author
Time

Almost Half way.

Working on many edits, may take many years to complete…

Also known as Mr. Liquid Jungle.

Author
Time

Almost There!!!

Working on many edits, may take many years to complete…

Also known as Mr. Liquid Jungle.

Author
Time

And Done!

Working on many edits, may take many years to complete…

Also known as Mr. Liquid Jungle.

Author
Time

Alright. Here’s my review. Keep in mind that I don’t have the Blu-Ray/Hal’s edit memorized but here’s all of the changes I could find and my opinion on them. Without a changelist I’m going to assume that a million invisible edits will fly right under my nose. 😃

The list:

  • Different recording used for the crawl. This is a cool change but I don’t know if this recording was the best choice, the ANH whistle bit can still be heard after the crawl but it’s overlapping with Sith’s music and in my opinion doesn’t work. I’d cut the ANH track right when the drums start.

  • The crawl is far too wordy, but I like the ideas your going for. This might help you: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Making-a-PERFECT-Crawl/id/50102/page/2. The stars plate you used in the background still has the original crawl faintly visible.

  • At around 1:42 there is a white bar on the right side of the frame.

  • I love the color correction in the opening sequence

  • I like the cuts you’ve made to the opening space battle.

  • I like the music cue used when Anakin and Obi-Wan destroy some droids, but the original score can still be heard while the actual ships are landing

  • At 5:27 there is a nasty bit of audio in the left channel.

  • I again love the fight in the bridge thanks to your music.

  • Still love the homestead music used at the senate building.

  • At 21:14 at the balcony scene there’s some weird audio effect happening with Padme’s voice.

  • Wow… holy shit. You’ve made the balcony scene bearable and it made me care for the characters a little. How did you do that? How!? I’m… conflicted!

  • At 25:31 there’s weird audio in the left channel. Again at 25:36.

  • Wow. Huge fan of the color correction in the opera scene.

  • I would have cut the midichlorians mention.

  • I like that hard cut from Palpy’s face to the temple. A+

  • I like the use of the deleted scene.

  • I like when the music kicks in in the Anakin Padme conversation

  • I really like the force theme during Anakin and Obi-Wan’s final talk. What track is it from?

  • Music editing gets kinda weird at 1:32:25

  • Music gets weird in left channel at 1:41:35

  • I really love the use of the Imperial theme from ANH

girl

Author
Time
 (Edited)

snooker said:

Alright. Here’s my review. Keep in mind that I don’t have the Blu-Ray/Hal’s edit memorized but here’s all of the changes I could find and my opinion on them. Without a changelist I’m going to assume that a million invisible edits will fly right under my nose. 😃

The list:

  • Different recording used for the crawl. This is a cool change but I don’t know if this recording was the best choice, the ANH whistle bit can still be heard after the crawl but it’s overlapping with Sith’s music and in my opinion doesn’t work. I’d cut the ANH track right when the drums start.

Yeah I actually had it like that for awhile but last minute on this I decided to add back the piccolo solo, just out of curiosity to see if it worked. I think I mixed it too low though, but also I don’t think I’m loving it.

The crawl is certainly flexible and I’m keeping these sorts of things in mind, though not necessarily following these kinds of rules to a T (although looking at that again, I’m not sure which rules I’ve broken?). It is on the long side, but the word count is 88, which is the same as TFA, though all the others are high 70s, low 80s, so I am looking to possibly cut down a bit.

As for the original crawl faintly visible, damn. I just zoomed in and boosted the brightness on my screen, and you’re totally right. Never noticed.

  • At around 1:42 there is a white bar on the right side of the frame.

I noticed that, skimming though. Think it was an export error? Not sure.

  • I like the music cue used when Anakin and Obi-Wan destroy some droids, but the original score can still be heard while the actual ships are landing

I’m aware, though I kind of think they work together - although I’m not sure if I think that just because I’m used to it at this point. This is definitely the kind of thing I’d like to hear from people if it needs changing or not.

  • At 21:14 at the balcony scene there’s some weird audio effect happening with Padme’s voice.

Good catch.

  • I would have cut the midichlorians mention.

Honestly forgot that was in there. Might have to do that.

  • Music editing gets kinda weird at 1:32:25

Yeah, it’s a tricky transition that needs a bit more work, and I think this whole little segment is mixed a little too loud.

  • At 5:27 there is a nasty bit of audio in the left channel.

  • At 25:31 there’s weird audio in the left channel. Again at 25:36.

  • Music gets weird in left channel at 1:41:35

Ughh, the fuck… This kind of thing really freaks me out, this was all fine in the sequence and I’ve done multiple exports of the whole edit and this has never happened before. Don’t know why, but I’m pretty sure this is actually a glitch with the audio transition effect I’m using on these tracks. So hopefully it’s an easy fix, though unfortunately I’m afraid there may be more instances of fucked up audio like this in there.

Apologies to all I’ve sent this out to because there’s some honestly really dumb issues in this (though nothing crazy enough that you it’s a problem to watch). None of my previous exports were this glitchy, just some bad luck that you guys have to be subjected to it. Very annoying.

I will also say that I’ve noticed the wipe transition is slightly mis-timed at 25:30 (of course this is another issue that has seemingly popped out of nowhere, which is concerning). There’s also a bit of gray at the bottom of the first deleted scene, but that one’s actually my bad.

Anyway, thanks for the notes and kind words!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darthrush said:

If you are using Premiere and having issues with exporting audio transitions, then I would try just key framing the problematic transitions instead. I have had issues like that before and that solved it. Not sure about other NLE’s though.

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to have to do. I’d say 95% of my audio transitions are keyframed already and the other 5% are using transition effects. Never had this problem before (which is weird, I literally use Premiere everyday) so I didn’t think anything of it, though I guess I should have just stayed consistent in the first place.

Author
Time

snooker said:

  • I really like the force theme during Anakin and Obi-Wan’s final talk. What track is it from?

Somehow I forgot to reply to this, but it’s actually from the last track on the ROTS soundtrack, the end credits suite (trivia - originally written as part of the Star Wars concert suite program which I guess Williams wanted to include at the end of the ROTS soundtrack for posterity).

Author
Time

Well after i watch it. It was good but it’s still the same shit. Different smell.

Working on many edits, may take many years to complete…

Also known as Mr. Liquid Jungle.

Author
Time

The sound was a tad off on the balcony scene and the CGI looked worse if its even possible.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

paja said:

Well after i watch it. It was good but it’s still the same shit. Different smell.

Yep.

LordZerome1080 said:

The sound was a tad off on the balcony scene

Yeah I’ve since fixed that.

and the CGI looked worse if its even possible.

During the balcony scene or throughout?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

LordZerome1080 said:

the CGI looked worse if its even possible.

I still don’t get this constant CGI-bashing. There is nothing wrong with 95% of EpIII CGI (the bad CGI being mostly the CGI stuntmen during saber fights, that last on screen only a few seconds), especially for a movie released in 2005. Anyway…

Dom, count me in when you release a v2.0 that fixes the small issues 😉

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

darthrush said:

If you are using Premiere and having issues with exporting audio transitions, then I would try just key framing the problematic transitions instead. I have had issues like that before and that solved it. Not sure about other NLE’s though.

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to have to do. I’d say 95% of my audio transitions are keyframed already and the other 5% are using transition effects. Never had this problem before (which is weird, I literally use Premiere everyday) so I didn’t think anything of it, though I guess I should have just stayed consistent in the first place.

That’s good to hear you figured out the issue. It is quite annoying of an issue and sometimes will just pop up out of nowhere. I also can’t seem to find a source for the issue and all there is on the web is simply the keyframing solution.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The only cgi in any of the prequels that ever looked bad to me without meticulously analyzing individual frames is the opening space battle after the title crawl. Obi Wan and anakins ship look terrible. I’ve never noticed anything else until it was pointed out to me.

Author
Time

MalàStrana said:

Dom, count me in when you release a v2.0 that fixes the small issues 😉

Will do. Probably soonish. (also not sure if I’d call what I put out a v1, more like a workprint).

Author
Time

darthrush said:

DominicCobb said:

darthrush said:

If you are using Premiere and having issues with exporting audio transitions, then I would try just key framing the problematic transitions instead. I have had issues like that before and that solved it. Not sure about other NLE’s though.

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to have to do. I’d say 95% of my audio transitions are keyframed already and the other 5% are using transition effects. Never had this problem before (which is weird, I literally use Premiere everyday) so I didn’t think anything of it, though I guess I should have just stayed consistent in the first place.

That’s good to hear you figured out the issue. It is quite annoying of an issue and sometimes will just pop up out of nowhere. I also can’t seem to find a source for the issue and all there is on the web is simply the keyframing solution.

Yeah, it’s fine. Most of the time I use keyframes anyway just because it’s more precise. But sometimes I get lazy and click “apply default transitions.”