The galaxy is divided. All over people raise arms in the fight for freedom, and are quickly quelled by the tyrannical FIRST ORDER.
But the spark of hope burns bright, under the leadership of the ailing GENERAL LEIA ORGANA, who dispatches brave agents in her stead to unite the disparate worlds in the name of RESISTANCE.
Meanwhile, SUPREME LEADER KYLO REN searches for the source of his former master’s dark power, anxious to end the cycle of war once and for all. . . .
Now that we know there’ll be no deleted scenes, I feel comfortable sharing the cutlist I cooked up after my three viewings (and have tinkered with since, with the help of some clips on Youtube). Obviously things might change once I get my hands on the thing, but this should be pretty much what I’ll be working towards.
Number one goal: Rey Nobody. Number two goal: better pacing. I think most everything else is a lost cause, besides some minor patches to moments here and there.
I have a couple other ideas that are a bit more out there, but I suspect they won’t work and I’m waiting for the film to be released to see if this is true before I commit.
UPDATED CUTLIST 4/17/20:
- New crawl.
- Establishing shot of Mustafar before we see Kylo fighting.
- Cut out Snoke’s voice saying “You have ever heard.”
- Rescored the Sith fleet rising (with “Anthem of Evil”).
- Cut out Palpatine telling Kylo that Rey is not who she seems.
- Move Falcon mission to later.
- Tempered Rey’s “ugh” a bit.
- We don’t cut to Kylo and Vader’s helmet at all during Rey’s training. When she trips, it’s because she hears his voice - “Rey.” Hopefully this will help make the editing in this section of the film feel less ADD, without the unmotivated and unexplained Kylo portion.
- The visions Rey has are rejiggered, focusing on Rey’s future, really driving home the Dark Rey imagery.
- The Falcon mission starts right after “Yes master.”
- Extend shot of TIEs approaching iceberg using shot from the trailer.
- Extend the lightspeed skipping scene using a shot from the trailer, so that we get a bit more time to register what’s happening.
- Add a shot of Leia from the trailer as the Falcon is leaving Ajan Kloss. Like a proud mom.
- Reinsert Kylo reconnecting with Vader’s helmet. He has visions of his own here, which give a motivation for why he rebuilds the mask.
- Color correct the Star Destroyer hallways to be a bit less blue. JJ took it too far here.
- Reinsert “The Speeder Chase” music cue during the Pasaana chase.
- Cut out any mention of Finn having something to tell Rey.
- Rey vs. the Kylo’s TIE Whisper is extended and reedited with shots from the teaser. To make more of a meal out of the show-stopping sequence.
- Cut out the premature reveal that Chewie’s alive. Replace with the scene of Kylo and Palpatine’s Force phone call, with dialogue changed to fit its new placement.
- Extended arrival on Kijimi with shot from teaser.
- Cut out mention of R2 saving a copy of 3PO’s memory. Save the relief for the end.
- Recut 3PO’s farewell for better emotional impact (following trailer and using its alternate takes).
- Cut out D-O saying “Sad.”
- Potentially add scene of D-O squeaking around Rey from doc.
- Drastically rearrange and recut Kylo and Rey’s Force bond duel conversation. The emphasis will now be on the dark side within Rey, and what happened to her parents rather than there being more to who Rey is. Cut out Kylo’s line “They sold you to protect you,” naturally.
- Cut most of the flashback showing Rey’s parents being nice to her and trying to protect her. They just get killed.
- Cut out Kylo saying that Rey has Palpatine’s power because she’s a Palpatine. She’s a nobody.
- Added some lines for Kylo during his hangar offer to Rey. Palpatine wanted to destroy any threat to his power. And Kylo explains the dyad a little bit more.
- Rescored Leia heading off to contact Ben with the Force theme, so as to feel more momentous.
- Potentially add an instrumentally based cue of Duel of the Fates to the Death Star duel.
- Add about a couple seconds worth of footage to the Death Star duel using shots from the trailers.
- Cut Finn’s last “Rey” on the Death Star. One too many (and perhaps more will go as well).
- Extended and rescored Leia contacting Ben (with Han and Leia’s theme). Now she says “Ben. Come home.”
- Add an additional establishing shot breaking up the Rey on Ahch-to scenes so it doesn’t seem like she only spends a couple minutes on the island.
- Artificially extended shots of Rey on Ahch-to.
- Color corrected Luke’s ghost to be less blue.
- Cut out Luke talking to Rey about being a Palpatine.
- Rescored the Luke and Leia flashback. Missed opportunity to use Luke and Leia’s theme.
- Rey doesn’t say “Two were made” when she retrieves the Wayfinder from Kylo’s fighter. Pointless.
- Rearranged Luke lifting the X-wing for better emotional impact.
- Add a full second to the Resistance planning scene, extending the first shot using footage from the trailer.
- Try to remove Finn saying “Now we’re taking the war to them.” Let’s at least pretend that he has grown since The Last Jedi.
- Rescored the Resistance leaving Ajan Kloss with the unused Williams music.
- Recolored Exegol to be a bit less monotone blue.
- Rearranged the first half of the space battle so that we cut away less often. Hopefully making the battle feel like a more substantial sequence than just the subplot to Rey’s main story. This also makes Rey’s approaching the throne sequence a bit beefier, which will hopefully make up for her talk with Palpatine being shorter.
- Extended the attacking the star destroyer money shot using footage from the trailer.
- Cut out Palpatine referring to Rey as his grandchild. Cut Rey saying her parents were strong.
- Would be nice if Palpatine could say “Luke was saved by his father. (You have no one here) (or something).”
- Cut out Finn saying “Rose, please.” Don’t need the fuck you to The Last Jedi to be rubbed in.
- When Rey hears the voices of the Jedi, it is Leia who says “Always,” not Luke. Ridiculous missed opportunity.
- Before Rey defeats Palpatine, Rey says “I’m no one.”
- Attempt to extend Ben’s death. Or something.
- Cut the Star Destroyers across the galaxy being destroyed. Redundant.
- Cut out D-O saying “Happy.”
- Cut Chewie receiving his medal. Stupid.
- Cut Lando’s scene with Jannah. Weird.
- Rescore the music that leads into the end credits. Repetitive.
Plus a number of small moments here and there throughout the movie that have been artificially extended, and moments that have been color corrected. Plus moments were I’m trying to make the music more present in the mix.
Final Order Revealed: https://vimeo.com/409356850
Rey’s Vision: https://vimeo.com/406327520
Kylos’ Vision V1: https://vimeo.com/406328685
Rey vs. TIE Whisper: https://vimeo.com/407939026
Force Bond Duel: https://vimeo.com/414948227
Death Star Duel/Ben and Leia: https://vimeo.com/414119429
Rey on Ahch-to: https://vimeo.com/407441816
Rey vs. Palpatine: https://vimeo.com/409083679