Sign In

Dom's (Possibly) Useful TROS Edit (WIP) — Page 20

Author
Time

Ah, I see, I get that direction in that view and the dialogue reflects that. Got a good mind rogue!

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

Anyone I haven’t gotten in contact with about a link - haven’t forgotten, just be patient, the last workprint has been taken out to pasture. New one should be done in the next week or two.

szopman said:

Two Quick question.

Does the chess scene was moved to the end (like Hal and some other faneditors did) in this edit?

I really like this idea but have decided not to do it myself, for a couple reasons - I personally like Rey making the journey by herself and I also like the scene as a sort of a resting beat in that first hectic third.

Does this edit contain other Hal’s change- Palpatine explaining to Kylo that if he kills him he ll overtake his body instead of stupid explaining it to Rey?

I think this is another interesting idea, but no, I didn’t do it. I think the information isn’t completely relevant at this point and would just cause confusion.

Papa’s_rod said:

Is this a 100% Rey Nobody version?

I would say yes, but maybe depends what you mean by 100%?

Author
Time

What’s new in the next workprint? Can’t wait for a good Rey nobody version

Author
Time

hinventon said:

What’s new in the next workprint? Can’t wait for a good Rey nobody version

The usual fixes to things I noticed and/or people gave feedback on, plus

  • Various VFX additions being made for Hal, pending when they get finished
  • Adding more dialogue to the Luke/Rey convo
  • Trying to make 3PO never get his memories restored

As well, a few people suggested I use the Fornite broadcast like Hal did, which I pushed back on. But now having watched his edit, you really don’t get the impression at all that it’s some silly “broadcast,” the implication seems more like a transmission from Palps to FO officers that they merely intercepted. So I’ll probably put that in.

I’m also toying with the possibility of an alternate version that cuts out both the medallion and the super lasers (I realized you can’t just cut the former). I’m gonna try some things now but that probably won’t be part of this workprint.

Also couple of other minor tweaks I’m considering, plus some more extensions no one will notice.

Author
Time

I agree if you want to use part of the Fornite Broadcast to make it more like a transmission or even part of a conversation to the FO would be the best use for it since using it as is is more cheese than anything else, personally. It would be great if one could get like a line from either Pryde, Hux, or Kylo saying something and then you hear palp’s response to it/parts of the wording from the broadcast could be good and help sell it. If possible.

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

jarbear said:

I agree if you want to use part of the Fornite Broadcast to make it more like a transmission or even part of a conversation to the FO would be the best use for it since using it as is is more cheese than anything else, personally. It would be great if one could get like a line from either Pryde, Hux, or Kylo saying something and then you hear palp’s response to it/parts of the wording from the broadcast could be good and help sell it. If possible.

Could work, but I think it’s probably fine without it. The way it’s presented, I don’t think anyone would guess it’s supposed to be a “broadcast” unless you know the behind the scenes of where the audio comes from.

Author
Time

Is it the similar/same as with Hal’s? (Sorry I lose track) since his does implement the “broadcast” but it definitely comes across as more transmission then … announcement. Lol.

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

jarbear said:

Is it the similar/same as with Hal’s? (Sorry I lose track) since his does implement the “broadcast” but it definitely comes across as more transmission then … announcement. Lol.

Yeah I maybe I worded what I said poorly but basically yes I liked how Hal did it so I’ll probably just copy him exactly.

Author
Time

Nah you probably said it just fine, my first language is just english … (Joke on me, im terrible at speaking and writing. Lol)

As for the medallion plan … that a toughy. The current depiction of it still favors on being a fan servicy thing then a purposeful thing. Too bad JJ didn’t build it up better to be more than just a fan service/“Chewy finally got his medal” sort of thing. Heck, even having something that showed Leia going through a box of Han’s stuff (Maybe his jacket is in there, nod to TFA comment) and take it out of that. So it becomes more of a keepsake or a reminder of when Han went from a smuggler to a rebel hero. So then later, Chewy got Leia’s keepsake of Han, last of Leia’s possessions, to remember them both by. … and not just a “finally getting his medal.”

That ends my TED talk.

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

Oh no, medal is 100% gone. I think there’s a deleted scene that makes that work but until that emerges, it has no place in the film. I’m talking about the First Order captains medallion.

Author
Time

jarbear said:

Nah you probably said it just fine, my first language is just english … (Joke on me, im terrible at speaking and writing. Lol)

As for the medallion plan … that a toughy. The current depiction of it still favors on being a fan servicy thing then a purposeful thing. Too bad JJ didn’t build it up better to be more than just a fan service/“Chewy finally got his medal” sort of thing. Heck, even having something that showed Leia going through a box of Han’s stuff (Maybe his jacket is in there, nod to TFA comment) and take it out of that. So it becomes more of a keepsake or a reminder of when Han went from a smuggler to a rebel hero. So then later, Chewy got Leia’s keepsake of Han, last of Leia’s possessions, to remember them both by. … and not just a “finally getting his medal.”

That ends my TED talk.

That was clearly their goal for the medal, but Abrams cut the story/setup portions to focus on action/visuals. Gotta keep the movie movie at such a fast pace that people don’t have time to question the nonsense! 😂

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

Oh no, medal is 100% gone. I think there’s a deleted scene that makes that work but until that emerges, it has no place in the film. I’m talking about the First Order captains medallion.

Oooooooh. Apologies! That thing… yeah I get it now. Hmmmm.

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

In your cut do the heroes simply sneak onto the destroyer?

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

In your cut do the heroes simply sneak onto the destroyer?

I think he means Han’s Medal is gone but the Captain’s medallion remains?

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

In your cut do the heroes simply sneak onto the destroyer?

Removing the medallion would be in an alternate cut, but yeah pretty much.

Author
Time

I might do that too. I’ve already tried cutting down Zorri as much as possible.

They just blast their way in anyway…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I would very much be in favour of a cut that excluded the silly video game token.

Edit:

By the way, probably gonna finally be able to watch the workprint today! 😃

My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones!

Author
Time

I wish there was a way to have them steal a troop transport and just abandon Ochi’s ship.

Author
Time

I think I’ve mentioned wanting to cut the medallion in here before. I’m not really crazy about some of the edits you have to make to have it work, but it is a really egregious piece of business. As if the film needed yet another mcguffin to explain.

Anyway the thing I realized too is that without it there’s kind of no reason to suspect that Zorii hasn’t left Kijimi, so the weight of destroying the planet isn’t really there. So if you cut the medallion you gotta go whole hog and cut the planet destroying weapons too, I feel. Which I’m not 100% against but personally I don’t really find necessary. So that’s why I’m saying it’d be an alternate cut.

The other alternate cut thing I’m toying with is removing “Rey Skywalker,” and replacing with “Just Rey.” The thing here is I kinda wonder if you do that, do you then need to change the title at that point. Arguably the idea that Rey is fulfilling the Skywalker legacy remains but I feel like the film as is is too messy to get that point across enough for it to be the title without this scene, if that makes sense. I don’t like changing titles, so that’s where “alternate cut” comes in. In this scenario, I’d name it Duel of the Fates to at least be in keeping with what was at one point the title of the film officially.

Author
Time

Hey, Dominic. I know I’m going to sound oblivious for saying this, but is your edit done, and will it be released in 5.1 surround sound?

Noah Lawson

Author
Time

I think that Zorri staying on Kajimi isn’t a good enough reason to keep it in there, as she gets off world anyway. If it had been a line about Kajimi is her some or something, that would’ve been more believable. I think I’d also just prefer her not being a fighter. Until forced to fight. The threat isn’t lessened if you give her a way out, because it’s still one of the movies many fake out deaths that gets resolved without any real effort or depth.

Also, The Rise of Skywalker could also refer to Kylo, who finally rises out of the darkness. How I solved the issue, though not as cleanly as I like right now, is I have her take the new name while fighting Palpatine. This at least gives her motivation, as she’s abandoning her own family legacy in front of that person, and taking up a new legacy there and then. This also helps Palpatine’s line about putting an end to Skywalker or whatever he said become more relevant, rather than him saying it out of the blue with no Skywalkers present.

Author
Time

JJ loves his Mcguffins, especially if they make no real sense. Lol.

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

When the title was first revealed, I assumed it referred to A) The rise of the Skywalker legend, with tale of Luke’s heroics spreading throughout the galaxy and igniting the spark of rebellion, and B) Ben Solo, the last Skywalker, rising from darkness, like Jake said. I even considered the idea the film would’ve revealed that Luke ascended to a higher plane of the Force, where he could interact with the living more directly, as if he rose from the dead. Either way, I think if those first two plot points I mentioned were kept or emphasized more, then the title still works.

I know some other people speculated that Skywalker would be the name of the new order of Force users that came after Luke, which would’ve fit the naming convention of the final trilogy films even more. Even if a person wanted to establish that, I don’t see how it could be made apparent within a fan edit. Interesting idea though.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

nl0428 said:

Hey, Dominic. I know I’m going to sound oblivious for saying this, but is your edit done, and will it be released in 5.1 surround sound?

Edit is not done, working on a second workprint right now. 5.1 will happen at some point, either upon official V1 release or maybe a V2.

RogueLeader said:

When the title was first revealed, I assumed it referred to A) The rise of the Skywalker legend, with tale of Luke’s heroics spreading throughout the galaxy and igniting the spark of rebellion, and B) Ben Solo, the last Skywalker, rising from darkness, like Jake said. I even considered the idea the film would’ve revealed that Luke ascended to a higher plane of the Force, where he could interact with the living more directly, as if he rose from the dead. Either way, I think if those first two plot points I mentioned were kept or emphasized more, then the title still works.

Basically there’s three different things that go into making the title work. Luke’s legend, Ben’s turn, and Rey’s taking the mantle. The film as is dropped the first bit, did the second one in the background mainly, and made the third one explicit. This is my thought though. I’m trying to reintroduce the first bit, but it’s still very minimal. If I remove the explicit third bit, and leave it as a subtle thing, that’s essentially three background/subtle explanations for the title. In every other film I think the title is a bit more obvious, so that’s where I’m at with that.

Author
Time

Anyways, just hard a spark of inspiration. You know that rust colored cloth that Rey wraps the sabers in? What if it was recolored to be black, and we saw there was a bit of a hole in it. So now she’s not just burying Luke and Leia’s belongings, but Ben’s as well?