Sign In

Do you think the Sarlacc monster Force sensitive?

Author
Time

This is something that has been bugging me for a while. As we all know, the fate of those being thrown into the pit is to be slowly digested over a period of a thousand years. At first glance, this would seem to be one of Jedi’s silly ideas (isn’t funny how long the torment lasts?), something that is very much in line with the “comical” torture of the Gonk droid, and the cartoon screeches of those falling into the pit.

However, isn’t also conceivable that a creature like Sarlacc is Force sensitive, and is able to extend the lifetime of its victims? We know that Jabba for instance, is able to resist the Jedi mind tricks, so it’s not out of the question for a monster to employ Force-related abilities. The idea of an unnaturally long lifespan isn’t so incredible either with Yoda lasting 900 years. We don’t know if this the natural lifespan of his species, or a result of his abilities with the Force, but the concept is present.

But then if it were the case that the Sarlacc is indeed using the Force to keep his victims alive for centuries, why would it do this? Because it’s the necessary time for his digestion? To keep from starving to death? Or perhaps, because it’s a sadistic creature. Lending credibility to that idea would be the Emperor choosing to kill Luke in a slow, painful manner insead of destroying him as quickly as he could with his powers.

Lord of the Rings - Principal Photography cuts (WIP)
Caligula’expanded OST, V2 Released
The Shining’s complete OST
Ghidorah, The Tree-Headed Monster (English dub synched to Toho cut)

Author
Time

On that topic, there are no bad ideas at Hasbro…except for one.

Sarlacc Jedi

–SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
 (Edited)

IsanRido said:

The fate of those being thrown into the pit is to be slowly digested over a period of a thousand years. At first glance, this would seem to be one of Jedi’s silly ideas (isn’t funny how long the torment lasts?), something that is very much in line with the “comical” torture of the Gonk droid, and the cartoon screeches of those falling into the pit.

Can’t agree with that at all. I always found it to be intimidating, unlike the comical torture.

However, isn’t also conceivable that a creature like Sarlacc is Force sensitive, and is able to extend the lifetime of its victims?

It digests you for a thousand years. Not keeps you alive that long.

But, the fun is that it can be anything you want it to be.

Ray’s Lounge
Biggs in ANH edit idea
ROTJ opening edit idea

Author
Time

Who’s actually been inside a Sarlacc to check for ancient victims? Somebody would have to kill one and cut it open? Yuck! Robot Chicken has muddied the waters on the issue anyway.

And Kenner did do mock-ups for Chewie’s family. No idea if the people responsible were tossed out a window.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:
And Kenner did do mock-ups for Chewie’s family. No idea if the people responsible were tossed out a window.

Ah, but that was Kenner (the REAL Kenner), and not Hasbro anyway!

Incidentally, though, have we heard from those people at Kenner that were responsible since then?

–SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time

Hasbro won’t even bother with aliens anymore these days. There were NO action figures made of any of the aliens from Canto Bight.

Help finish ROTJ: Revisited!

Author
Time

That’s a shock. We should lobby them to make a figure of Broom Boy™.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

If we’re only relying on info from ROTJ and disregarding anything else that’s “canon”, I think it’s much more likely that what is said about the Sarlacc in the film is mostly false, comprised of legend and rumor. It’s not like there’s any reason to open it up and actually see how long it takes to be digested, so why not hype it up a bit? Surely it would make watching an execution-by-Sarlacc much more entertaining…

Author
Time

Booman said:

If we’re only relying on info from ROTJ and disregarding anything else that’s “canon”, I think it’s much more likely that what is said about the Sarlacc in the film is mostly false, comprised of legend and rumor. It’s not like there’s any reason to open it up and actually see how long it takes to be digested, so why not hype it up a bit? Surely it would make watching an execution-by-Sarlacc much more entertaining…

Watching others suffer seems to be Jabba’s favorite pastime, so why not turn it up to 11?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Just because you’re digested over 1000 years doesn’t mean you are alive over that entire time frame, and there is nothing in what C3PO says to indicate that. However, the way the previous sentence is structured, seems designed to lead the listener to interpret it that way.

"Close the blast doors!"
Puggo’s website | Rescuing Star Wars