Sign In

Disney to buy 20th (21st) Century Fox? (Disney has now bought them - 14 Dec '17) — Page 23

Author
Time

Zachary VIII said:

rodneyfaile said:

I’ll be at the Galaxy’s Edge theme park soaking in all the Star Wars I can, seeing Episode IX multiple times in Dolby, and enjoying my Disney+ subscription. Life is short, I am going to enjoy what I enjoy.

Feel free to do that. But try to at least retain some class consciousness and remember what Disney is.

Marxism on a Star Wars board. Seriously?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Zachary VIII said:

rodneyfaile said:

I’ll be at the Galaxy’s Edge theme park soaking in all the Star Wars I can, seeing Episode IX multiple times in Dolby, and enjoying my Disney+ subscription. Life is short, I am going to enjoy what I enjoy.

Feel free to do that. But try to at least retain some class consciousness and remember what Disney is.

Marxism on a Star Wars board. Seriously?

Of course this was only one Google-image search away. I love the Internet.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

LOL!

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

Zachary VIII said:

rodneyfaile said:

I’ll be at the Galaxy’s Edge theme park soaking in all the Star Wars I can, seeing Episode IX multiple times in Dolby, and enjoying my Disney+ subscription. Life is short, I am going to enjoy what I enjoy.

Feel free to do that. But try to at least retain some class consciousness and remember what Disney is.

Marxism on a Star Wars board. Seriously?

Marxism ain’t all bad. Divorced of the antireligious, anti-nuclear family, and violent revolutionary crap, it’s quite appealing.

“I believe in copyright, within limited precincts. But I also believe in fair use, public domain, and especially transformation.” — David Shields

“To be good and lead a good life means to give to others more than one takes from them.” — Leo Tolstoy

Author
Time

Except Marxism is not divorcable from revolution. It’s one of its cornerstones.

The other aspects you describe are the Leninist ones which are divorcable from core Marxism.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

Except Marxism is not divorcable from revolution. It’s one of its cornerstones.

Which is why I’m not a Marxist. 😛

“I believe in copyright, within limited precincts. But I also believe in fair use, public domain, and especially transformation.” — David Shields

“To be good and lead a good life means to give to others more than one takes from them.” — Leo Tolstoy

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

LordZerome1080 said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

LordZerome1080 said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

SilverWook said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

I’d burn all prints of the OOT if it brought down Disney, Hollywood entire, and the false god Mammon.

Are you sure you’re on our side?

My commitment to limited copyright and the public domain transcends any commitment to any Star Wars film.

So essentially your George Lucas.

Oh, yeah, certainly. 'Cause as we all know, Lucas was an outspoken anti-capitalist who didn’t own a multi-million-dollar production company, who didn’t make millions of dollars from IPs he hogged the copyright to, who then didn’t turn around and willingly sell both his company and his IPs to the Malignant Mouse.

Run along home and go play with your Star Wars action figures, little boy. Your attempts at repartee are feeble.

Well, you certainly hate the OUT like he does. Why are you here on a pro OUT site anyway if you hate it so much? Oh and how about you run along home to your special editions while us big boys enjoy the unaltered versions.

I would do anything in my power short of violence to see gross, rampant, malignant capitalism dismantled.

So you ARE basically George Lucas - hunting down every single copy of the Star Wars Holiday Day Special and smash it with a hammer 😉

Who needs to see Rogue One? Just play the first mission of DARK FORCES 😉
‘Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.’ - SilverWook

Author
Time

Zachary VIII said:

rodneyfaile said:

I’ll be at the Galaxy’s Edge theme park soaking in all the Star Wars I can, seeing Episode IX multiple times in Dolby, and enjoying my Disney+ subscription. Life is short, I am going to enjoy what I enjoy.

Feel free to do that. But try to at least retain some class consciousness and remember what Disney is.

I’m not sure there can be monopolies on non essential entertainment. People will always create other things. Actually, if you want more new and original intellectual properties, then Disney buying things up is sort of a good thing, as it will force the people to create something else.

If you stop liking what Disney is producing, then just go watch something different. There are so many studios and streaming services, the idea of someone monopolizing the industry sounds crazy to me. I remember having three TV stations and no VCR. Now I have access to even the most obscure content from numerous providers.

Monopolies are dangerous and can hurt consumers though, but I think it is more significant when we talk about more essential services, utilities, airlines, phones, internet providers. I think entertainment options are becoming more broad, not less. Disney is just good at making money, and that isn’t a bad home for you favorite things.

Author
Time

pleasehello said:

LordZerome1080 said:

This is great news!!! Just in time for the month of my birthday!!

Less competition, less variety and less creativity in an already homogeneous industry. Wow, great news!

Can they have it ready for my dad’s birthday this year?

Author
Time

Haarspalter said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

LordZerome1080 said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

LordZerome1080 said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

SilverWook said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

I’d burn all prints of the OOT if it brought down Disney, Hollywood entire, and the false god Mammon.

Are you sure you’re on our side?

My commitment to limited copyright and the public domain transcends any commitment to any Star Wars film.

So essentially your George Lucas.

Oh, yeah, certainly. 'Cause as we all know, Lucas was an outspoken anti-capitalist who didn’t own a multi-million-dollar production company, who didn’t make millions of dollars from IPs he hogged the copyright to, who then didn’t turn around and willingly sell both his company and his IPs to the Malignant Mouse.

Run along home and go play with your Star Wars action figures, little boy. Your attempts at repartee are feeble.

Well, you certainly hate the OUT like he does. Why are you here on a pro OUT site anyway if you hate it so much? Oh and how about you run along home to your special editions while us big boys enjoy the unaltered versions.

I would do anything in my power short of violence to see gross, rampant, malignant capitalism dismantled.

So you ARE basically George Lucas - hunting down every single copy of the Star Wars Holiday Day Special and smash it with a hammer 😉

Now THAT’S repartee which works!

“I believe in copyright, within limited precincts. But I also believe in fair use, public domain, and especially transformation.” — David Shields

“To be good and lead a good life means to give to others more than one takes from them.” — Leo Tolstoy

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The output of Hollywood isn’t because of studios merging. They produce what sells. Supply and demand. I think there will always be more action blockbusters than artistic masterpieces, but both will still be around because people will create them and they will find there audiences. It’s even easier now with the technology available.

Author
Time

Budgets and opportunities to use them aren’t handed out to risky ventures… but it’s better if there is some risk allowed.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time

Seriously, how long do we wait before drafting a new petition that simply opens with “Dear Walt Disney Company”?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Fang Zei said:

Seriously, how long do we wait before drafting a new petition that simply opens with “Dear Walt Disney Company”?

I was so certain the Unaltered Original Trilogy would be announced during Celebration for the 40th anniversary. While standing in various lines I would mention it during conversation and always the same response… blank stares. It was like I was speaking latin or something. I don’t know if they just had no idea what I was talking about or were just devoted to whatever is said to be the official version that the idea of anything else was blasphemous. The point is, if I didn’t come across many fans wanting the UOT at Celebration, then I don’t think it’s much of priority for many people.

Sorry to be pessimistic. I believe they will show up as a special feature eventually, but I just don’t see a beautiful Unaltered Original Trilogy on 4K UHD with HDR released to huge fanfare. I’m more and more thankful for my Harmy discs every day. Still doesn’t address the need for preserving the original content for future generations though. I hate the idea of something so special being lost. Guess this is all for another thread though.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

rodneyfaile said:

Sorry to be pessimistic. I believe they will show up as a special feature eventually, but I just don’t see a beautiful Unaltered Original Trilogy on 4K UHD with HDR released to huge fanfare. I’m more and more thankful for my Harmy discs every day. Still doesn’t address the need for preserving the original content for future generations though. I hate the idea of something so special being lost. Guess this is all for another thread though.

If the originals are ever restored again it would be as an extra just like the 2006 DVDs. Whether they will be legit restored versions or outdated Laserdiscs masters like before is another story. The Special Editions are now the canon versions so I definitely don’t see a reversal happening should the originals ever be restored which becomes more and more unlikely the more time passes without it happening.

Author
Time

Nice.

I can answer almost all questions anyone might have about the Sith from Star Wars Legends, and please do PM me for the bd25 DEED(Despecalised Editions), as I have this version, though I can’t answer technical questions about them. Auntie Derry/Rumpelstiltskin.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Though wise men at their end know dark is right, They
Do not go gentle into that good night. “Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.” - SilverWook Feel the love.

Author
Time

rodneyfaile said:

Fang Zei said:

Seriously, how long do we wait before drafting a new petition that simply opens with “Dear Walt Disney Company”?

I was so certain the Unaltered Original Trilogy would be announced during Celebration for the 40th anniversary. While standing in various lines I would mention it during conversation and always the same response… blank stares. It was like I was speaking latin or something. I don’t know if they just had no idea what I was talking about or were just devoted to whatever is said to be the official version that the idea of anything else was blasphemous.

I know how that is. I learned to stop bringing the subject up at Celebration after I started getting belligerent and pedantic responses toward it. It’s a truly sad state of affairs.

Help back OMNO!

Author
Time

That moment when you suspect the fandom has become a cult, and not in a good way.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Tobar said:

rodneyfaile said:

Fang Zei said:

Seriously, how long do we wait before drafting a new petition that simply opens with “Dear Walt Disney Company”?

I was so certain the Unaltered Original Trilogy would be announced during Celebration for the 40th anniversary. While standing in various lines I would mention it during conversation and always the same response… blank stares. It was like I was speaking latin or something. I don’t know if they just had no idea what I was talking about or were just devoted to whatever is said to be the official version that the idea of anything else was blasphemous.

I know how that is. I learned to stop bringing the subject up at Celebration after I started getting belligerent and pedantic responses toward it. It’s a truly sad state of affairs.

And I thought I was the one with a problem when I had more than 5 different versions of the ESB and still wasn’t satisfied. LOL

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

That moment when you suspect the fandom has become a cult, and not in a good way.

There’s a good type of cult?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Quattro Bajeena said:

Tobar said:

rodneyfaile said:

Fang Zei said:

Seriously, how long do we wait before drafting a new petition that simply opens with “Dear Walt Disney Company”?

I was so certain the Unaltered Original Trilogy would be announced during Celebration for the 40th anniversary. While standing in various lines I would mention it during conversation and always the same response… blank stares. It was like I was speaking latin or something. I don’t know if they just had no idea what I was talking about or were just devoted to whatever is said to be the official version that the idea of anything else was blasphemous.

I know how that is. I learned to stop bringing the subject up at Celebration after I started getting belligerent and pedantic responses toward it. It’s a truly sad state of affairs.

And I thought I was the one with a problem when I had more than 5 different versions of the ESB and still wasn’t satisfied. LOL

Coversation would usually go one of two ways:

Tobar: So do you think they’ll ever release the original theatrical versions?
Rudeman: What do you mean by original exactly? You know there really is no such thing as one original version! There were different sound mixes released simultaneously in theaters, which is the original?!? You know there were changes made between the 35mm and 70mm versions of the films! And what about the different crawl when they re-released A New Hope??? So you see, there are no original versions because there’ve always been multiple versions from the start!

or

Tobar: So do you think they’ll ever release the original theatrical versions?
Rudedude: Excuse me? Why would I want incomplete films?!?

Help back OMNO!

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

SilverWook said:

That moment when you suspect the fandom has become a cult, and not in a good way.

There’s a good type of cult?

Other fandoms can be cult-like, but without the group think, or blindly following one individual.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?