Sign In

Disney brings back all six movies to the big screen on 2014-05-03/04 - In Germany

Author
Time

The PT should never be rereleased theatrically in any country in any language.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I hope this is the original versions of the films - not that Special Edition load of $@%#!

.

.

.

.

.

.

(looks around)

.

.

.

FIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time

Has the OT ever been exhibited theatrically as a dcp???? The Lowry master, aside from being used for its initial purpose in the 2004 dvd release, has only ever been used for hd broadcasts and the blu-rays. They've never used it to make a dcp for theatrical exhibition, not to my knowledge anyway.

Author
Time

This is a huge opportunity for Disney to gain respect from the fans, but I wouldn't hold my breath. (My body requires oxygen)

Author
Time

Y'know, now that I think about it, these are probably just the 35mm German prints from 1997.

Author
Time

I just found out yesterday that all six movies will be shown here in Australia too. It happens to be my weekend off, so I may go and see 4-6. Even though its likely the Blu Ray versions, it'll be cool to see them on the big screen.

Author
Time

Will other parts of the world get a little big screen love?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

Has the OT ever been exhibited theatrically as a dcp???? The Lowry master, aside from being used for its initial purpose in the 2004 dvd release, has only ever been used for hd broadcasts and the blu-rays. They've never used it to make a dcp for theatrical exhibition, not to my knowledge anyway.

 ESB was shown privately:

===================

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Private-Screening-of-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-1980-35MM-East-Coast-USA-Sept-2013/topic/15949/

Team Negative1

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Fang Zei said:

Has the OT ever been exhibited theatrically as a dcp???? The Lowry master, aside from being used for its initial purpose in the 2004 dvd release, has only ever been used for hd broadcasts and the blu-rays. They've never used it to make a dcp for theatrical exhibition, not to my knowledge anyway.

 

Christie brought the force of cutting edge digital cinema technology to the biggest
Star Wars party ever – Celebration IV – with the first-ever back-to-back, six-episode
Saga marathon in the U.S. on May 23, 2007.
The state-of-the-art digital screening of all six Star Wars episodes on the world’s
most popular DLP Cinema
®
projector, the Christie CP2000, is one of the highlights
of the massive event, which brings together tens of thousands of Star Wars fans
from around the world.
The screening marks the first time all Star Wars episodes had been theatrically
presented in story order (from Episode I to Episode VI), and drew thousands
of enthusiastic fans. “Star Wars Celebration IV” is produced by Lucasfilm Ltd.

and Gen Con

Lucasfilm Ltd. and Christie continue their long and productive relationship,

with the Christie CP2000 series offering the most pristine, visually stunning
images fans have ever seen.

http://www.ehomeitalia.com/digitalcinema_microsite/prodotti/digital_cinema_brochures/digital_cinema_1_series.pdf

Christie CP2000 Digital Cinema ProjectorPart Number: 38-DCP301-XX

Digital Micromirror Device™

  • 2K 3-chip DMD DLP Cinema™
  • 2048 x 1080 pixels

http://www.christiedigital.co.uk/emea/product-support/discontinued-products/Pages/christie-CP2000-digital-projector.aspx

I saw Star Wars in 1977. Many, many, many times. For 3 years it was just Star Wars...period. I saw it in good theaters, cheap theaters and drive-ins with those clunky metal speakers you hang on your window. The screen and sound quality never subtracted from the excitement. I can watch the original cut right now, over 30 years later, on some beat up VHS tape and enjoy it. It's the story that makes this movie. Nothing? else.

kurtb8474 1 week ago

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=SkAZxd-5Hp8


Author
Time

I saw that presentation at Celebration. It looked great.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time

In no way am I naive enough to believe that this will be anything other than the SE. If it's sanctioned by Disney, they'll have to be DCPs rather than just the Blus though. So the SEs in gleaming 4K. I'd pass anyway.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

I'm a newbie here so I could be wrong, but surely it couldn't be 4k? Or if it is 4k it would be a big deal for the original trilogy?

My understanding is that the scans of the original trilogy, were all done at 1080p, just under 2k. So if Disney have a 4k screening, they would have had to rescan the negative?

Also, werent the last two prequels shot at 2k or under, so they would be impossible.

Author
Time

Reddkryten said:

I'm a newbie here so I could be wrong, but surely it couldn't be 4k? Or if it is 4k it would be a big deal for the original trilogy?

My understanding is that the scans of the original trilogy, were all done at 1080p, just under 2k. So if Disney have a 4k screening, they would have had to rescan the negative?

Also, werent the last two prequels shot at 2k or under, so they would be impossible.

 

I recall reading that the originals were scanned in 4K in 2004 (for a good master for the DVD versions), and it's those scans that we've been getting versions of/alterations of since.

Regarding the prequels, TPM was shot on film, but yeah, AOTC and ROTS are originally 1080p since they were shot digitally.

Author
Time

rpvee said:


I recall reading that the originals were scanned in 4K in 2004

Nope, those were done at 2K and weren't originally supposed to be used for an HD release at all (only for the DVD release). But well, Lucasfilm.

Author
Time

Reddkryten said:

Also, werent the last two prequels shot at 2k or under, so they would be impossible.

 Would it be possible to upscale it at all?

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Most movies finished as a DI are only done so at 2K anyway. The theater gets it as a 2K file on a hard drive and the 4K projector upscales it. 

I was unaware that the C4 saga screening was done using a commercial cinema projector. IV-VI were only cleaned up at 1920:1080 HD resolution (although the source scan was 1828:1556 which is considered a 2K harvest of the "squeezed" anamorphic image on the negative of true cinemascope movies like the OT and TPM). The Lowry guys were very specific about that at the press conference in 2004 (with Hamill, Kershner, Jim Ward et al) when someone asked if it was 2K. They also specified full RGB resolution, which makes sense since they were doing this on 600 networked powermacs. I can only assume they meant 1920:817 for the actual 2.35:1 image itself. Either way, 1920 is still slightly below the 2048 of true 2K.

This info about the C4 screening, coupled with the fact that GL did go ahead and make additional changes to the Lowry master for the blu-ray, makes me wonder if he really did intend it as the basis for any and all future releases of the movies. Now that it's Disney's property, I would assume they'd want it transfered in a quality greater than just hdtv/blu-ray.

Author
Time

For a guy who's obsessed with digital technology, shooting only on 1080p didn't show a lot of foresight on Lucas' part.

35mm is dead, long live 35mm. 

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Also, I find it interesting that the article is apparently (without an exact translation) saying that it's Disney, not Fox, that's doing this release. That either means Disney and Fox actually worked out a deal over the last 18 months, or that there's nothing legally stopping Lucasfilm/Disney from doing this in Australia and Germany but they wouldn't be able to do so in the U.S.

It may simply be that I'm overthinking this and that Fox is still technically distributing but that it was Disney's idea to do the release. Fox wouldn't be able to do such a release without Lucasfilm's blessing anyway, so this would make sense.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Fang Zei said:

Most movies finished as a DI are only done so at 2K anyway. The theater gets it as a 2K file on a hard drive and the 4K projector upscales it. 

I was unaware that the C4 saga screening was done using a commercial cinema projector. IV-VI were only cleaned up at 1920:1080 HD resolution (although the source scan was 1828:1556 which is considered a 2K harvest of the "squeezed" anamorphic image on the negative of true cinemascope movies like the OT and TPM). The Lowry guys were very specific about that at the press conference in 2004 (with Hamill, Kershner, Jim Ward et al) when someone asked if it was 2K. They also specified full RGB resolution, which makes sense since they were doing this on 600 networked powermacs. I can only assume they meant 1920:817 for the actual 2.35:1 image itself. Either way, 1920 is still slightly below the 2048 of true 2K.

This info about the C4 screening, coupled with the fact that GL did go ahead and make additional changes to the Lowry master for the blu-ray, makes me wonder if he really did intend it as the basis for any and all future releases of the movies. Now that it's Disney's property, I would assume they'd want it transfered in a quality greater than just hdtv/blu-ray.

 

The real differences between BluRay and a Digital Cinema Package are compression and colour gamut

And as you corrrectly said earlier----- the Resolution difference  is a mere 6% (2048 vs 1920).

But with the right equipment----Blu ray can perform on the big screens:

Tyneside Cinema hosted a unique HD outdoor screening of the 1980s film "Dirty Dancing" starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey. Fans came early to get the best positions and to enjoy the pre-film entertainments, and by the evening Newcastle City Centre was packed full of people enjoying the event, with many singing and dancing along with the film.

Special permission was granted to play the new 20th Anniversary Blu Ray release so QED chose to use Sony S600 3rd Generation Blu Ray machines and two twinned Christie HD18K 17,500 ANSI lumen HD projectors to deliver outstanding quality and brightness onto the giant 50ft wide inflatable air screen.

http://www.qed-productions.com/news/dirty-dancing

I saw Star Wars in 1977. Many, many, many times. For 3 years it was just Star Wars...period. I saw it in good theaters, cheap theaters and drive-ins with those clunky metal speakers you hang on your window. The screen and sound quality never subtracted from the excitement. I can watch the original cut right now, over 30 years later, on some beat up VHS tape and enjoy it. It's the story that makes this movie. Nothing? else.

kurtb8474 1 week ago

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=SkAZxd-5Hp8


Author
Time

But for a scope movie like Star Wars, it really should be the full 2048 that's being used. 2K for scope is 2048:853, 2K for 1.85:1 is 1998:1080 and for 16:9 it's, of course, 1920:1080.