Sign In

Dirty Harry Color Regrade and New 5.1 remix project

Author
Time

This is a project I have been slowly working on for a while. It started months ago when I ripped the mono tracks from the laserdiscs and VHS tapes of the Dirty Harry movies. I toyed around with remixing the soundtrack with the original Mono elements. I have improved upon it since this video, but here is a taste from Magnum Force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLYbDGdkGzk

Inspired by several regrading projects on this site, I wanted to regrade the teal and sometimes over saturated blu ray from 2008 back to a more subdued color pallet (similar to how it may have looked on 35mm) like the one found in early home video releases, and also on the 2002 dvd release. Here is the first 2 minutes of the movie:
https://vimeo.com/367003359
(password is: ot)

I plan to do at least the first 3 movies like this.

Author
Time

Man, I dig that regrade! Talk about déjà vu 😃
The teal Blu always bugged me.

You really only need to hang mean bastards,
but mean bastards you need to hang.

John ‘The Hangman’ Ruth

Author
Time

Ronster said:

over saturated, get the saturation right first before re-grading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqF0EED6AA

These films never looked good so colorful why make them over saturated now?

shift cyan towards blue more Highlights are blown on the source.

Oh yeah, I still have it way too saturated. And that Youtube video is darker than the DVD I’m using (at least it looks like it), I have several DVDs/VHS/Laserdiscs of the movie. I think the full screen DVD from 1998 has that darker saturation/color grading as well, so I might use that. I’m getting the original JP laserdisc of DH soon, which might be the same transfer as the old rental tape (which was taken directly from a print), so that might be a useful reference as well.

Author
Time

kchrules said:

Ronster said:

over saturated, get the saturation right first before re-grading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkqF0EED6AA

These films never looked good so colorful why make them over saturated now?

shift cyan towards blue more Highlights are blown on the source.

Oh yeah, I still have it way too saturated. And that Youtube video is darker than the DVD I’m using (at least it looks like it), I have several DVDs/VHS/Laserdiscs of the movie. I think the full screen DVD from 1998 has that darker saturation/color grading as well, so I might use that. I’m getting the original JP laserdisc of DH soon, which might be the same transfer as the old rental tape (which was taken directly from a print), so that might be a useful reference as well.

From what it seemed in your uploads that 1979 VHS tape was too yellow looking

Author
Time

SpacemanDoug said:
From what it seemed in your uploads that 1979 VHS tape was too yellow looking

Yeah, maybe I need to re rip it, or the LD is graded different?

Anyway, here are screencaps from the Full Screen dvd from 1997:
screenshot
screenshot
screenshot

Is this closer to what I should aim for color wise? It seems to me the most well rounded in terms of color and not too saturated. The Widescreen version on the same disc is much more saturated.

Author
Time

https://vimeo.com/371054639/5a71498441
Here is a new crack at it. I used the aforementioned FS DVD as the color source. It’s the same 2:20 as before. The big video on the top half is the re-grade/re-color, the video on the bottom left is the untouched blu ray, and bottom right is the FS DVD (which I tried to emulate)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

kchrules said:

https://vimeo.com/371054639/5a71498441
Here is a new crack at it. I used the aforementioned FS DVD as the color source. It’s the same 2:20 as before. The big video on the top half is the re-grade/re-color, the video on the bottom left is the untouched blu ray, and bottom right is the FS DVD (which I tried to emulate)

This grade looks really good and the blue color of the pool is a lot better, though I think the cyans have been pushed too dark in some places. While what you have there looks a lot better than the Blu-ray, I think you’ve replicated the DVD a bit too closely perhaps. The blue tones should maybe be kept lighter and a bit less magenta. The sky in some shots looks almost purple in the DVD, and I’m not sure if that necessarily should be replicated verbatim.

Also, in the first shot of the scope cross-hairs in front of the woman, the furniture she walks by that looks teal in the Blu-ray and and is blue in the DVD still looks teal in your grade. I’m curious why that would be.

And are some of the highlights blown out? I can’t really tell, but many shots have highlights that seem oddly brighter than both the Blu-ray and the DVD, like the buildings in the slow zoom-out shot. Some areas on the buildings just look white where they appear to have some color in the other sources.

Overall this looks great, and I can’t wait to see any progress you make on it.

EDIT: By the way, could you post some screencaps of the widescreen side of the DVD for comparison?

Army of Darkness: The Medieval Deadit | The Terminator - Color Regrade | The Wrong Trousers - Audio Preservation
SONIC RACES THROUGH THE GREEN FIELDS.
THE SUN RACES THROUGH A BLUE SKY FILLED WITH WHITE CLOUDS.
THE WAYS OF HIS HEART ARE MUCH LIKE THE SUN. SONIC RUNS AND RESTS; THE SUN RISES AND SETS.
DON’T GIVE UP ON THE SUN. DON’T MAKE THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU.

Author
Time

Doesn’t look perfect, probably a little too close to the DVD, but it looks vastly superior to the blu-ray color timing, especially the skies since they don’t look green anymore

Author
Time
 (Edited)

kchrules said:

https://vimeo.com/371054639/5a71498441
Here is a new crack at it. I used the aforementioned FS DVD as the color source. It’s the same 2:20 as before. The big video on the top half is the re-grade/re-color, the video on the bottom left is the untouched blu ray, and bottom right is the FS DVD (which I tried to emulate)

Whilst I think It looks good… Try now to bring in the red and the green to a similar level in the bluray but without ruining the way you have it looking now…

So a subtle boost of red and green. Look at scorpio’s hair and the trees on the roof from the Blu ray.

Not as over accentuated as the Blu Ray but some of what it has…